Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Watching the highlights now, both Karlan's penalties were poor - one was saved, one should have been saved!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The abuse Grant got in the match at Huddersfield was pretty unpleasant really, it went way beyond the "pantomime booing" ex players sometimes get. He was perfectly entitled to cock an ear to the Charlton fans after scoring.

The stick Bielik got when we played Derby was rather unnecessary too.
    Shows how many knobs we have supporting us these days. Not saying that they are the same people but you only have to look at the hysterical posts on this forum every time a player chooses to leave.
    Some people need to realise that there is no longer any such thing as loyalty in football, whether that be from player to club or from club to player.
    I agree that the abuse is unacceptable.  Also that we have our share of wankers following the club.

But why should we "realise that there is no longer any such thing as loyalty in football"?  Why would you even want to have anything to do with it in that case?  There may be a sad shortage of loyalty, but we should continue to expect it.
  • Options
    The abuse Grant got in the match at Huddersfield was pretty unpleasant really, it went way beyond the "pantomime booing" ex players sometimes get. He was perfectly entitled to cock an ear to the Charlton fans after scoring.

Shows how many knobs we have supporting us these days. Not saying that they are the same people but you only have to look at the hysterical posts on this forum every time a player chooses to leave.
    Some people need to realise that there is no longer any such thing as loyalty in football, whether that be from player to club or from club to player.
    I agree that the abuse is unacceptable.  Also that we have our share of wankers following the club.

But why should we "realise that there is no longer any such thing as loyalty in football"?  Why would you even want to have anything to do with it in that case?  There may be a sad shortage of loyalty, but we should continue to expect it.
    Because the evidence is in front of your very eyes. It doesn't mean that you can't hope for loyalty to occur.
    Many players, mostly youngsters who may have been at a club for many years, are readily discarded, as are players going out of contract. Charlton are no different to any other club in this respect.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Because the evidence is in front of your very eyes. It doesn't mean that you can't hope for loyalty to occur.
    Many players, mostly youngsters who may have been at a club for many years, are readily discarded, as are players going out of contract. Charlton are no different to any other club in this respect.
    But you say "some people need to open their eyes"?  I don't agree.  I think we should continue to expect loyalty.  I expect it.  It may not happen, but I expect players to show it and if they don't they need to ask themselves some questions about their values.  If we stop expecting it we are on our way to accepting it.
  • Options

But you say "some people need to open their eyes"?  I don't agree.  I think we should continue to expect loyalty.  I expect it.  It may not happen, but I expect players to show it and if they don't they need to ask themselves some questions about their values.  If we stop expecting it we are on our way to accepting it.
    Whether you accept it or not it is the way of the current football world. 
    Do you expect the club to show loyalty towards players, or do you expect them to make a commercial decision when a player's contract is coming to an end? 
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Do you expect the club to show loyalty towards players, or do you expect them to make a commercial decision when a player's contract is coming to an end? 
    I take your point, but I think there is also room for a club to show loyalty towards a player (ie supporting them through months of treatment when they are unable to play, and continuing to honour their salary) and planning appropriately when a contract is running down, and I think a player can take a reciprocal approach.  I am aware that disloyalty is "the way of the world", but I also think that the more it is accepted the worse it gets, like all bad behaviour.
  • Options

I take your point, but I think there is also room for a club to show loyalty towards a player (ie supporting them through months of treatment when they are unable to play, and continuing to honour their salary) and planning appropriately when a contract is running down.  
    That isn't showing loyalty, that is protecting an asset, under salary, that you hope will bear fruit on the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Theres no loyalty anymore, too much money to be loyal, cant argue with it. Shows textbook human nature. 

Not so sure that younger generations need to be loyal supporters eh, may as well change teams in the transfer window. 
  • Options

The stick Bielik got when we played Derby was rather unnecessary too

Grant got pelters, but I dont remember Bielek getting stick at all
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Agreed. I remember him being clapped when his name was called out
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

He got a bit of stick at the away game, but that's natural when he goes through one of our players with his studs up and gets sent off
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    CAFCsayer said:

He got a bit of stick at the away game, but that's natural when he goes through one of our players with his studs up and gets sent off
    Nothing like the abuse Grant got, but the booing during the game (before the sending off) was undeserved for a loan player who gave his all and helped get us promoted. 
  • Options
    I wonder when we will hear where Taylor is going to? If he already had a deal before, wouldn't it be announced by now? Or won't it be until after the end of the season if he can't play again this season?
  • Options
    Maybe the club signing him don't like his 'I'll play when I want' attitude.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    The two Danny's, Mills and Murphy would also make my Room 101.
    i'll also add Hasselwank and John Barnes to Room 101
    Barnes? Not for me. Granted he didn't do much but was a free and at the very end of his career. Also in Curbs' book I'm sure he spoke positively of him and his attitude.
     well if that's true then fine but all i remember was being excited as a kid that John Barnes ex-England international was going to play for us. then i saw him. real let down. then again as you say his best was in the late 80s and early 90s and we got him in 1999. 
  • Options
    Wowsers, are we signing John Barnes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am really surprised we definitely don't know where he is going to play next season,thought someone would know 
  • Options
    Its such a shame the way it ended, as his record for us was fantastic. I am truly gutted about how it all panned out, his stunning goal and assist tally for us tarnished with his shitshow attitude at the end
  • Options
    Currently 'without a club'
  • Options
    I've got no problem with Grant , he probably increased his salary x 5 when he moved. Charlton could have turned the offer down
    And Steve Gallen reported to a supporters' meeting that Grant was in tears when he said his goodbyes.
  • Options
    I though Barnes did well for us not mobile but still class on the ball enjoyed seeing him in our red shirt, Certainly no negatives for me.
    His performance away at West Ham in the 1-0 win was a midfield masterclass. He didn’t really get up and down the pitch, but he dictated the play and his range of passing was top notch. He was worth signing for that game alone. 
    typically i didn't see that game 
  • Options
    I agree with Red Henry would have liked Lyle to complete the season but understand why not and you cant just write off all he has done for us in the last two seasons