Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Stevelamb said:

An animal that kills millions of birds and small mammals every year.
  • edited September 2018

[A report by BBC News, 5th Sept 2018]

More than a fifth of meat sample tests in 2017 found DNA from animals not on the labelling, the BBC has learned.
    Out of 665 results from England, Wales and Northern Ireland collected by the Food Standards Agency, 145 were partly or wholly made up of unspecified meat.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45371852

Never sure why this bothers people, like the whole horsemeat 'scandal' i couldn't give a shit if its horse meat, if its tasty then crack on!
  • [A report by BBC News, 5th Sept 2018]

More than a fifth of meat sample tests in 2017 found DNA from animals not on the labelling, the BBC has learned.
    Out of 665 results from England, Wales and Northern Ireland collected by the Food Standards Agency, 145 were partly or wholly made up of unspecified meat.

I'd be more put out if they'd discovered meat substitutes as opposed to other meats.
  • edited September 2018
    Food Standards Agency meat sampling... 'Some samples contained DNA from as many as four different animals, while others contained no trace of the meat that appeared on the product's label'

It's about a lack of authenticity and truth, is it not?
    Whatever it is that one wishes to eat (be that meat, or not meat) should it not be the case that the consumer receives what is advertised - and not something else?

Some food producers have more integrity than others. The sad and unpalatable situation that exists is that animals destined for food are mashed up into bits and the bits are mixed together and passed off, by some, as being 'X' when, in fact, they are either 'X plus whatever', or not 'X' at all.

I'm happy to avoid the meat and dairy trade and hope that what I purchase to eat is wholesome and is what it claims to be.

Never sure why this bothers people, like the whole horsemeat 'scandal' i couldn't give a shit if its horse meat, if its tasty then crack on!
    Surely you mean walk on?

I'm guessing it might be horsemeat. It does sound like the producers are trying to get away with it by adding whatever the 'rogue' meat is to stronger tasting meat. Mind you, I didn't know people ate goat in the UK.

I'm guessing it might be horsemeat. It does sound like the producers are trying to get away with it by adding whatever the 'rogue' meat is to stronger tasting meat. Mind you, I didn't know people ate goat in the UK.
    Goat is delicious! A lovely curried goat with rice & peas
  • Will going vegan make you healthier?
    By Dr Michael Mosley
    BBC, 5 September 2018

Will going vegan make you healthier?
    A recent analysis, which pulled together the results of 10 previous studies comparing the health of vegetarian and vegans against that of omnivores, suggests it will.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/health-45409471
    By Dr Michael Mosley
    BBC, 5 September 2018

A recent analysis, which pulled together the results of 10 previous studies comparing the health of vegetarian and vegans against that of omnivores, suggests it will.

Since vegans are likely to be more health conscious than the general population, it is possible that the health differences have nothing to do with the diet itself.
    By Dr Michael Mosley
    BBC, 5 September 2018

I'm pretty healthy already thanks.

I don't need to live to 100 to be happy. I enjoy meat as part of my diet and it appears in 2/3 meals a day.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thread is so predictable.
    Despite that I feel vegans and vegetarians are right in a 'thou shalt not kill' sense, carnivores and omnivores are going to pile in, and they have the numbers.
    It's like Dulwich Hamlet Ultras taking on Lech Poznan.
    With this issue I wouldn't say might is right, but it is easily the loudest.
    No good being evangelical, carnivores won't be shifted, and in my view the more we try, the more that animals suffer with a kind of vengeful relish.
  • edited September 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

By Dr Michael Mosley
    BBC, 5 September 2018

I don't need to live to 100 to be happy. I enjoy meat as part of my diet and it appears in 2/3 meals a day.
    From the article:
    In other words, being a vegetarian or vegan was associated with being healthier but not necessarily with living longer.
  • seth plum said:

The thread is so predictable.
    Despite that I feel vegans and vegetarians are right in a 'thou shalt not kill' sense, carnivores and omnivores are going to pile in, and they have the numbers.
    No good being evangelical, carnivores won't be shifted, and in my view the more we try, the more that animals suffer with a kind of vengeful relish.

I doubt there's any carnivores on this thread. Omnivores sure...
  • Dazzler21 said:

seth plum said:

I doubt there's any carnivores on this thread. Omnivores sure...
    Fair point.
  • edited September 2018
    Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

By Dr Michael Mosley
    BBC, 5 September 2018

From the article:
    In other words, being a vegetarian or vegan was associated with being healthier but not necessarily with living longer.
    Good news. I seriously don't want to live to 100 and become a hinderance on others. And I want to continue to eat the animals I define as food (typical Farmed Animals).
  • seth plum said:

I've only just re-opened this thread and needed to catch up on a couple of hundred posts. I found it quite disappointing really. As someone who believes that there are valid arguments to be had on both sides of the debate, it doesn't look although anyone is open to to discussion.
  • From Dr Mosley's article:

For the latest series of Trust Me I'm A Doctor, Dr Giles Yeo decided to try it [a vegan diet] for a month and see if it was a lifestyle he could imagine adopting.

So how did Dr Yeo get on? After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

So will he keep it up? "I've been pleasantly surprised," he said, "and though I don't plan to go vegan entirely, from now on I'll try and do at least a few days every month.

"I have to admit I was apprehensive about going vegan for a month, but once I learned a few recipes I was fine and I actually ended up enjoying it. For me, the key was not to cook vegan versions of meals that I would normally eat with meat, but to opt for recipes that were designed to be vegan in the first place.

Surely you mean walk on?
    trot on, surely?

For the latest series of Trust Me I'm A Doctor, Dr Giles Yeo decided to try it [a vegan diet] for a month and see if it was a lifestyle he could imagine adopting.

So how did Dr Yeo get on? After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

So will he keep it up? "I've been pleasantly surprised," he said, "and though I don't plan to go vegan entirely, from now on I'll try and do at least a few days every month.

"I have to admit I was apprehensive about going vegan for a month, but once I learned a few recipes I was fine and I actually ended up enjoying it. For me, the key was not to cook vegan versions of meals that I would normally eat with meat, but to opt for recipes that were designed to be vegan in the first place.

Put everything up he said for a fair reflection.

Still waiting for a reply to the life expectancy/fish diet conundrum.
    But I appreciate its more difficult to deal with inconvenient facts than trite pseudo babble nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

I watched that programme. Yes the vegan diet he ate seemed healthy, though it was only for a short period of time so we don't know any long term side affects.

And he wasn't doing it for evangelical reasons. There's a big difference for example between someone giving up alcohol for personal health purposes, and someone thinking that alcohol is evil and unnatural, and that nobody should drink alcohol.
  • edited September 2018

After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

This weight loss is a calorie deficit nothing to do with being vegan.

The cholesterol is probably quite a lot to do with being a vegan.
  • Dazzler21 said:

After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

I have highish cholesterol. The GP told me that the largest factor in this is heredity and altering diet only accounts for about 10% - which would be the case here.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I have highish cholesterol. The GP told me that the largest factor in this is heredity and altering diet only accounts for about 10% - which would be the case here.
    My LDL cholesterol is 1.9 so my doctor reluctantly agreed to remove statins from my prescription without finding out why it dropped so much. That was 6 months ago.
    Last week my doctor had to remove all my other prescription medications (not that I had been taking them) including blood pressure and diabetes medications because my readings had returned to normal. My doctor did not even want to know how I had done this in fact she seemed almost disappointed that I had proved her wrong because she said to me a year ago that is was not possible to reverse diabetes. So by way of eating whole food plant based nutrition I have reversed my diabetes, cholesterol levels and high blood pressure lost over three stone so my BMI is now 21.3, I no longer have spots on my back, hemorrhoid's, bleeding gums, receding hair, joint pain, tiredness, constipation or upset stomachs, cracking finger nails, indigestion, brewers droop, receding gums and have more energy and sleep better.
    Doctors do not learn about nutrition and are only just slowly beginning to understand that it is far better to treat the cause than the symptoms. All I am trying to do on here is get this message over to you, sure I know I will take a lot of stick on a football forum for trying and I know it will be difficult. Three years ago I would of been one of the people on here doing just that. No way three years ago would I ever of considered giving up meat, eggs and dairy, no way, but I am bloody glad I did. My medical record over the last three years is proof enough for me and all I am trying to do is tell others that you can be much healthier without prescription drugs
    by changing your diet. It is not about living longer but living a better life free from the ailments that come with age caused by the western diet. I have been asked to do a few talks by diabetes groups about how I have managed to reverse my diabetes and have come up against the same arguments from them as I have on here but some do grasp it and now I can present my medical history to back up what I am trying to say. It was a great feeling going for my dental check last week when asked by the dentist if my drugs had changed.

• Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

My LDL cholesterol is 1.9 so my doctor reluctantly agreed to remove statins from my prescription without finding out why it dropped so much. That was 6 months ago.
    Last week my doctor had to remove all my other prescription medications (not that I had been taking them) including blood pressure and diabetes medications because my readings had returned to normal. My doctor did not even want to know how I had done this in fact she seemed almost disappointed that I had proved her wrong because she said to me a year ago that is was not possible to reverse diabetes. So by way of eating whole food plant based nutrition I have reversed my diabetes, cholesterol levels and high blood pressure lost over three stone so my BMI is now 21.3, I no longer have spots on my back, hemorrhoid's, bleeding gums, receding hair, joint pain, tiredness, constipation or upset stomachs, cracking finger nails, indigestion, brewers droop, receding gums and have more energy and sleep better.
    Doctors do not learn about nutrition and are only just slowly beginning to understand that it is far better to treat the cause than the symptoms. All I am trying to do on here is get this message over to you, sure I know I will take a lot of stick on a football forum for trying and I know it will be difficult. Three years ago I would of been one of the people on here doing just that. No way three years ago would I ever of considered giving up meat, eggs and dairy, no way, but I am bloody glad I did. My medical record over the last three years is proof enough for me and all I am trying to do is tell others that you can be much healthier without prescription drugs
    by changing your diet. It is not about living longer but living a better life free from the ailments that come with age caused by the western diet. I have been asked to do a few talks by diabetes groups about how I have managed to reverse my diabetes and have come up against the same arguments from them as I have on here but some do grasp it and now I can present my medical history to back up what I am trying to say. It was a great feeling going for my dental check last week when asked by the dentist if my drugs had changed.

Some of that is bollocks. I can categorically state that not all of the health benefits you are currently seeing are remotely due to your vegan diet. I accept that some probably are. I would suggest that your previous health problems were far from the norm for anyone. Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question.

Perhaps most importantly from your post is you suggesting that people can be healthier without prescription drugs. It’s a dangerous and completely irresponsible thing to put out there.

• Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Some of that is bollocks. I can categorically state that not all of the health benefits you are currently seeing are remotely due to your vegan diet. I accept that some probably are. I would suggest that your previous health problems were far from the norm for anyone. Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question.

Perhaps most importantly from your post is you suggesting that people can be healthier without prescription drugs. It’s a dangerous and completely irresponsible thing to put out there.

"Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question."

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Like most of your posts, ya troll.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Bleeding an receding gums, high cholesterol, High blood pressure, spotty back, haemorrhoids, joint pain, upset stomach, tiredness, cracked finger nails, constipation, BMI issues and erectile dysfunction.

Please tell me which part of those are unbelievable in suggesting your previous lifestyle was suspect and now have all miraculously disappeared due to eating lettuce.