Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• [Am posting the following here as it concerns animal welfare and follows on from some information that I posted recently]

From the Petitions team, UK Government and Parliament:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Create a new independent welfare body to protect racehorses from abuse and death”.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211950
    The debate is scheduled for 15 October 2018.
    Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Animal advocates have been campaigning on this issue for years and having secured the support of more than 105,000 people who signed the petition are preparing for a debate.
    Ministers have backed the status quo (the British Horseracing Authority) but can do little to prevent the increasing public awareness of, and opposition to injury and death resulting from horse racing.
  • Stevelamb said:

An animal that kills millions of birds and small mammals every year.
    Apparently you only need to stick a bell on their collars and it's "problem solved"
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

This weight loss is a calorie deficit nothing to do with being vegan.

The cholesterol is probably quite a lot to do with being a vegan.
    I have highish cholesterol. The GP told me that the largest factor in this is heredity and altering diet only accounts for about 10% - which would be the case here.
    My LDL cholesterol is 1.9 so my doctor reluctantly agreed to remove statins from my prescription without finding out why it dropped so much. That was 6 months ago.
    Last week my doctor had to remove all my other prescription medications (not that I had been taking them) including blood pressure and diabetes medications because my readings had returned to normal. My doctor did not even want to know how I had done this in fact she seemed almost disappointed that I had proved her wrong because she said to me a year ago that is was not possible to reverse diabetes. So by way of eating whole food plant based nutrition I have reversed my diabetes, cholesterol levels and high blood pressure lost over three stone so my BMI is now 21.3, I no longer have spots on my back, hemorrhoid's, bleeding gums, receding hair, joint pain, tiredness, constipation or upset stomachs, cracking finger nails, indigestion, brewers droop, receding gums and have more energy and sleep better.
    Doctors do not learn about nutrition and are only just slowly beginning to understand that it is far better to treat the cause than the symptoms. All I am trying to do on here is get this message over to you, sure I know I will take a lot of stick on a football forum for trying and I know it will be difficult. Three years ago I would of been one of the people on here doing just that. No way three years ago would I ever of considered giving up meat, eggs and dairy, no way, but I am bloody glad I did. My medical record over the last three years is proof enough for me and all I am trying to do is tell others that you can be much healthier without prescription drugs
    by changing your diet. It is not about living longer but living a better life free from the ailments that come with age caused by the western diet. I have been asked to do a few talks by diabetes groups about how I have managed to reverse my diabetes and have come up against the same arguments from them as I have on here but some do grasp it and now I can present my medical history to back up what I am trying to say. It was a great feeling going for my dental check last week when asked by the dentist if my drugs had changed.

Some of that is bollocks. I can categorically state that not all of the health benefits you are currently seeing are remotely due to your vegan diet. I accept that some probably are. I would suggest that your previous health problems were far from the norm for anyone. Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question.

Perhaps most importantly from your post is you suggesting that people can be healthier without prescription drugs. It’s a dangerous and completely irresponsible thing to put out there.

"Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question."

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.
    Bleeding an receding gums, high cholesterol, High blood pressure, spotty back, haemorrhoids, joint pain, upset stomach, tiredness, cracked finger nails, constipation, BMI issues and erectile dysfunction.

Please tell me which part of those are unbelievable in suggesting your previous lifestyle was suspect and now have all miraculously disappeared due to eating lettuce.

All of them as I no longer eat the standard western diet.
    It really is that simple but your doctor will not tell you that.........................yet.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

After being vegan for a month he had lost 4kg and brought in his belt by a notch. Along with the fall in his belly fat, his cholesterol also fell by 12%.

I have highish cholesterol. The GP told me that the largest factor in this is heredity and altering diet only accounts for about 10% - which would be the case here.
    My LDL cholesterol is 1.9 so my doctor reluctantly agreed to remove statins from my prescription without finding out why it dropped so much. That was 6 months ago.
    Last week my doctor had to remove all my other prescription medications (not that I had been taking them) including blood pressure and diabetes medications because my readings had returned to normal. My doctor did not even want to know how I had done this in fact she seemed almost disappointed that I had proved her wrong because she said to me a year ago that is was not possible to reverse diabetes. So by way of eating whole food plant based nutrition I have reversed my diabetes, cholesterol levels and high blood pressure lost over three stone so my BMI is now 21.3, I no longer have spots on my back, hemorrhoid's, bleeding gums, receding hair, joint pain, tiredness, constipation or upset stomachs, cracking finger nails, indigestion, brewers droop, receding gums and have more energy and sleep better.
    Doctors do not learn about nutrition and are only just slowly beginning to understand that it is far better to treat the cause than the symptoms. All I am trying to do on here is get this message over to you, sure I know I will take a lot of stick on a football forum for trying and I know it will be difficult. Three years ago I would of been one of the people on here doing just that. No way three years ago would I ever of considered giving up meat, eggs and dairy, no way, but I am bloody glad I did. My medical record over the last three years is proof enough for me and all I am trying to do is tell others that you can be much healthier without prescription drugs
    by changing your diet. It is not about living longer but living a better life free from the ailments that come with age caused by the western diet. I have been asked to do a few talks by diabetes groups about how I have managed to reverse my diabetes and have come up against the same arguments from them as I have on here but some do grasp it and now I can present my medical history to back up what I am trying to say. It was a great feeling going for my dental check last week when asked by the dentist if my drugs had changed.

Some of that is bollocks. I can categorically state that not all of the health benefits you are currently seeing are remotely due to your vegan diet. I accept that some probably are. I would suggest that your previous health problems were far from the norm for anyone. Your previous lifestyle should perhaps be called into question.

Perhaps most importantly from your post is you suggesting that people can be healthier without prescription drugs. It’s a dangerous and completely irresponsible thing to put out there.

Bleeding an receding gums, high cholesterol, High blood pressure, spotty back, haemorrhoids, joint pain, upset stomach, tiredness, cracked finger nails, constipation, BMI issues and erectile dysfunction.

Please tell me which part of those are unbelievable in suggesting your previous lifestyle was suspect and now have all miraculously disappeared due to eating lettuce.

It really is that simple but your doctor will not tell you that.........................yet.
    I know everybody is thinking it, but I'll ask the question.

If it was solely to do with having a non-vegan diet, then why doesn't everybody have the problems that you disc..... oh, fuck it.
  • [Am posting the following here as it concerns animal welfare and follows on from some information that I posted recently]

From the Petitions team, UK Government and Parliament:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Create a new independent welfare body to protect racehorses from abuse and death”.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211950
    The debate is scheduled for 15 October 2018.
    Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Animal advocates have been campaigning on this issue for years and having secured the support of more than 105,000 people who signed the petition are preparing for a debate.
    Ministers have backed the status quo (the British Horseracing Authority) but can do little to prevent the increasing public awareness of, and opposition to injury and death resulting from horse racing.

Very good news. Let’s just hope it’s not an academic process.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

I know everybody is thinking it, but I'll ask the question.

If it was solely to do with having a non-vegan diet, then why doesn't everybody have the problems that you disc..... oh, fuck it.</blockquote

Correction needed here Leroy, it is a whole food plant based nutrition, different in many ways to a vegan diet.
  • Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

I'd pull this apart, bit by bit if I had the time or inclination - but the highlighted bit deserves special mention in the 'absolute utter bollocks' stakes. If your GP genuinely said that, she is a fucking idiot. Or you have type 1 diabetes - which can't be reversed, so you're a fucking idiot. Either way, there's some fucking idiotry going on somewhere.

Whilst it is technically true medically-speaking that diabetes cannot be 'reversed' (insomuch as it's impossible to 'reverse' damage to the pancreas), the effects of it most certainly can be 'reversed' by improving your diet, getting more exercise and controlling your sugar intake.

Of course, it's possible that your doctor is just a giant pedant - and you are so guileless that you don't realise she is subtly mocking you...
    Given that diet is the number-one cause of death and disability, nutrition is surely the number-one subject taught in medical school, right? And it’s certainly the number-one issue your doctor talks with you about, right? If only. How can there be such a disconnect between the available evidence and the practice of medicine?

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dont-wait-until-your-doctor-kicks-the-habit/

• edited September 2018
    Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

I'd pull this apart, bit by bit if I had the time or inclination - but the highlighted bit deserves special mention in the 'absolute utter bollocks' stakes. If your GP genuinely said that, she is a fucking idiot. Or you have type 1 diabetes - which can't be reversed, so you're a fucking idiot. Either way, there's some fucking idiotry going on somewhere.

Whilst it is technically true medically-speaking that diabetes cannot be 'reversed' (insomuch as it's impossible to 'reverse' damage to the pancreas), the effects of it most certainly can be 'reversed' by improving your diet, getting more exercise and controlling your sugar intake.

Of course, it's possible that your doctor is just a giant pedant - and you are so guileless that you don't realise she is subtly mocking you...
    Given that diet is the number-one cause of death and disability, nutrition is surely the number-one subject taught in medical school, right? And it’s certainly the number-one issue your doctor talks with you about, right? If only. How can there be such a disconnect between the available evidence and the practice of medicine?

Please stop making statements that are completely without foundation in order to progress your agenda. Disease is the number one cause for death and disability.
    As you well know not all disease is associated with diet. Some is of course but there is NO evidence that says your diet is better or worse than many others.
  • I'd genuinely sooner eat meat and kick the bucket 10 years prematurely. IF being vegan was ever proven to be more healthy
  • Sponsored links:

• My medical records over the last three years are completely without foundation then? They are my evidence.......fact.
  • I'd genuinely sooner eat meat and kick the bucket 10 years prematurely. IF being vegan was ever proven to be more healthy

That’s what choice is. Instead of embracing your Wishes we have idiots trying to tell you it’s wrong.

• Stevelamb said:

My medical records over the last three years are completely without foundation then? They are my evidence.......fact.

I think you need to look up the word fact in a dictionary.
  • Stevelamb said:

My medical records over the last three years are completely without foundation then? They are my evidence.......fact.

A thing that is known or proved to be true.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

A thing that is known or proved to be true.
    Better ask Andrew Wakefield and the anti-vax brigade what 'facts' are.

Then look up 'correlation vs causation'.

Finally, anecdotal vs empirical evidence.

Good luck.
  • edited September 2018

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Please stop making statements that are completely without foundation in order to progress your agenda. Disease is the number one cause for death and disability.
    As you well know not all disease is associated with diet. Some is of course but there is NO evidence that says your diet is better or worse than many others.
    This is correct in part, the plant based wholefood diet is *allegedly* proven to be healthier and gives a reduced risk of cholesterol, cancer and heart disease when eaten in a calorie controlled diet than an omnivore diet.

I admit this. I am quite happy to continue to eat some meat.
  • edited September 2018
    Stevelamb said:

Just done a quick Google search and found the following -

Countries with the highest life expectancy -

Top seems to be South Korea and Luxembourg - both 82.2 years.

Demographics of people following a "Vegetarian diet (%) (includes vegan diet)" worldwide -

South Korea - approx 1.0% (in real numbers that's 500.000 in 51.25m)

Can't find figures for Luxembourg
  • Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

This is correct in part, the plant based wholefood diet is proven to be healthier and gives a reduced risk of cholesterol, cancer and heart disease when eaten in a calorie controlled diet than an omnivore diet.

Country with the lowest incidence of Coronary Heart Disease is France. The French diet is high if dairy and red meat.

Despite what vegans say it’s not as straightforward as they would have you believe.

• edited September 2018

"This is correct in part, the plant based wholefood diet is proven to be healthier and gives a reduced risk of cholesterol, cancer and heart disease when eaten in a calorie controlled diet than an omnivore diet.

I admit this. I am quite happy to continue to eat some meat."

Many smokers make the same choice.

• Stevelamb said:

This is correct in part, the plant based wholefood diet is proven to be healthier and gives a reduced risk of cholesterol, cancer and heart disease when eaten in a calorie controlled diet than an omnivore diet.

Many smokers make the same choice.

Ask Pierre.

• Sponsored links:

• "Country with the lowest incidence of Coronary Heart Disease is France. The French diet is high if dairy and red meat.

Despite what vegans say it’s not as straightforward as they would have you believe."

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-explains-the-french-paradox/

• edited September 2018
  • If only they could talk.
  • NuitritionFacts.Org is a quack website that trades in agenda driven pseudo science and is funded by the same people that fund this drivel.

https://windsorstar.com/health/angel-investor-boosts-windsor-dandelion-cancer-research

• LOOOOOOL - nutritionfacts :lol:

Troll on laddie
  • "Meet the Team" - "Kate comes to us with almost a decade of experience running programs and managing volunteers. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with an English degree and has spent the bulk of her career in educational non-profits. In her free time, Kate enjoys being outdoors, traveling, and cooking plant-based meals. She lives in Pittsburgh with her fiancé and their three companion animals."

This site just screams "vegan bias" imo
  • "Meet the Team" - "Kate comes to us with almost a decade of experience running programs and managing volunteers. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with an English degree and has spent the bulk of her career in educational non-profits. In her free time, Kate enjoys being outdoors, traveling, and cooking plant-based meals. She lives in Pittsburgh with her fiancé and their three companion animals."

This site just screams "vegan bias" imo

Yeah. Trying to position yourself as an independent organisation and having some melt put that as part of their bio...

FAIL
  • NuitritionFacts.Org is a quack website that trades in agenda driven pseudo science and is funded by the same people that fund this drivel.

https://windsorstar.com/health/angel-investor-boosts-windsor-dandelion-cancer-research

Pseudoscience is one word not two.
    I bet you even think Psychotherapist is three words.......Psycho the rapist.

It's not about you mate, I am sure there are many morally wrong things people would like to do like steal or tax dodge but it harms others around you despite your own gain. It's quite literally damaging the planet, forget health.

This thread seems to have taken a turn for the worse again. Loads of petty digs and looking for arguments rather than a discussion.
  • Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

You do realise that you are going to die anyway?