Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• He’s the head chef

Hoo?
  • Badger said:

Wagamama have now opened a vegan restaurant at Heathrow airport.

Considering the aviation industries negative impact on wildlife, especially a huge airport like Heathrow, a true vegan wouldn’t go anywhere near there would they?
  • No doubt in my mind that worldwide their are animal welfare issues surrounding food production that in “my” perfect world would be addressed. I think it’s good that countries like the UK that can make changes, do make changes. The fact that large parts of the world can’t or won’t is at this point irrelevant. Every great journey starts with but a single step you might say. It’s pretty much the same for eco issues surrounding climate change. We’ve been warned that the cliff edge is getting closer but the world just isn’t ready and in many cases able to facilitate what’s needed. Isn’t it something like 2/3 of the worlds population don’t have access to clean cooking fuels. Relying on wood and dung. The change is needed right now but it can’t be made. If the scientists are correct we are going to fall off that cliff and millions all over the world will suffer and die. Including some in countries like the U.K. where we rely on imported food.

Looks like the “Factory Reset” button is going to be pushed within a few generations. Maybe that’s what mankind needs in order to survive going forward.
  • All this and it ain't even the Christmas season yet.
  • Badger said:

Wagamama have now opened a vegan restaurant at Heathrow airport.

Considering the aviation industries negative impact on wildlife, especially a huge airport like Heathrow, a true vegan wouldn’t go anywhere near there would they?
    I only go there to protest about the 8th runway. Good that I can have some food now too.
  • edited November 2018
  • Indeed I do. I best live on fresh air then, wouldn’t want to be seen as some sort of hypocrite in the eyes of those who obviously know best.

What an odd comment. It’s not my fault that science and technology has impacted the food that we consume along with everything else in our lives. I’m sure if you feel strongly enough you can eat only organic which might minimise the impact although I doubt that to be honest. Frankly I’m ambivalent to whatever you want to eat.

Why post then?
  • iainment said:

Indeed I do. I best live on fresh air then, wouldn’t want to be seen as some sort of hypocrite in the eyes of those who obviously know best.

What an odd comment. It’s not my fault that science and technology has impacted the food that we consume along with everything else in our lives. I’m sure if you feel strongly enough you can eat only organic which might minimise the impact although I doubt that to be honest. Frankly I’m ambivalent to whatever you want to eat.

Why post then?
    It's a discussion forum?!?
  • What a dick. Imagine the uproar if he'd said that about any other group....
  • Sponsored links:

He has just fallen on his sword.
  • meat sword?
    Like the multiple journalists who have, in the same 'jokey' manner suggested killing cyclists? None of them have been sacked or forced to resign...

It's a f***ing stupid thing to say, but I don't think he should be forced to quit over it

Have to agree and I’m one of those he’d be ‘advocating’ hunting. What he said didn’t offend me, I just shrugged, thought ‘what a tit’ and got on with my life.
  • We should just ban humour in case anyone gets offended. People make careers now out of getting offended.

• We should just ban humour in case anyone gets offended. People make careers now out of getting offended.

With all due respect, I take offence at that remark.
    Like the multiple journalists who have, in the same 'jokey' manner suggested killing cyclists? None of them have been sacked or forced to resign...

It's a f***ing stupid thing to say, but I don't think he should be forced to quit over it

Have to agree and I’m one of those he’d be ‘advocating’ hunting. What he said didn’t offend me, I just shrugged, thought ‘what a tit’ and got on with my life.
    had you heard/read his comments before he was sacked or did you only hear about them because of the story reporting his sacking?

• The Guardian 1st Nov 2018
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

• bobmunro said:

We should just ban humour in case anyone gets offended. People make careers now out of getting offended.

Could you please escalate your offence so that there can be outrage on twitter and hopefully a few death threats.

If you love smug vegans here's the journalist in question-

http://selenenelson.co.uk/#

• The Guardian 1st Nov 2018
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

We should just ban humour in case anyone gets offended. People make careers now out of getting offended.

Could you please escalate your offence so that there can be outrage on twitter and hopefully a few death threats.

So this smug vegan has numerous links to Town & Country magazine, which is obviously some sort of affiliate deal. The magazine that supports horseracing, fox hunting, and livestock farming.

Hmmm the only thing worse than a hypocrite is a smug hypocrite!
  • edited November 2018
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

So this smug vegan has numerous links to Town & Country magazine, which is obviously some sort of affiliate deal. The magazine that supports horseracing, fox hunting, and livestock farming.

Hmmm the only thing worse than a hypocrite is a smug hypocrite!
    Doesn't all her lovely luxury travel contribute to global warming or am I missing something?

Before reading about her I was a bit worried she might come across as a smug, humourless, hypocritical arse.....

• I had a couple of meat eating friends round yesterday. One brought bread, the other brought some cheeses and I got some wine and some houmous. I also got some butter out and some ham that Mr Tatters had in the fridge. We all start eating and chatting and the vast majority of the time is spent by THEM bringing up the vegan subject. 'ooo so you eat butter' - no, 'you don't mind having ham on the table?' - etc etc etc. All I want to do is enjoy their company. It's non vegans that talk about vegan stuff. I just want to eat what I eat and not be quizzed about it. Then we get onto the xmas pub outing stuff. 'Ooooo we can't go to XXXX pub they don't do vegan stuff' - yes they do if you have jacket potato and beans, and that's fine, I had it in there last year and no one went on about it.

I know a number of vegans and I certainly wouldn't start a conversation with them about food.
  • I had a couple of meat eating friends round yesterday. One brought bread, the other brought some cheeses and I got some wine and some houmous. I also got some butter out and some ham that Mr Tatters had in the fridge. We all start eating and chatting and the vast majority of the time is spent by THEM bringing up the vegan subject. 'ooo so you eat butter' - no, 'you don't mind having ham on the table?' - etc etc etc. All I want to do is enjoy their company. It's non vegans that talk about vegan stuff. I just want to eat what I eat and not be quizzed about it. Then we get onto the xmas pub outing stuff. 'Ooooo we can't go to XXXX pub they don't do vegan stuff' - yes they do if you have jacket potato and beans, and that's fine, I had it in there last year and no one went on about it.

I know a number of vegans and I certainly wouldn't start a conversation with them about food.
    Then you are welcome to pop in for lunch :)
  • I can't resist responding to the comment about Vegan hypocrisy above.
    Millions upon millions of Christians eat meat and fish, yet one of their 10 Commandments is 'Thou shalt not kill'.
    In terms of raw numbers it dwarves Vegan hypocrisy.
    (This information is useful for dealing with pesky Jehovah Witnesses when they come knocking).
  • seth plum said:

I can't resist responding to the comment about Vegan hypocrisy above.
    Millions upon millions of Christians eat meat and fish, yet one of their 10 Commandments is 'Thou shalt not kill'.
    (This information is useful for dealing with pesky Jehovah Witnesses when they come knocking).

Not nearly as useful as just not opening the door.....

• seth plum said:

I can't resist responding to the comment about Vegan hypocrisy above.

Not nearly as useful as just not opening the door.....

or stabbing them
  • One of my mates used to try and invite them in his house with an inane cackle - asking them to "Tell me the nice story about the man with the big boat and all of the animals...I really like that one"
  • Comparable to Morrissey saying that people who "believe" in abatoirs, must also believe in the Nazi gas chambers and that eating meat is no different to pedophilia. Okay Morrissey wasn't answerable to managers in the same was this bloke is, but still a despicable thing to say