Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited November 2018
    seth plum said:

I can't resist responding to the comment about Vegan hypocrisy above.
    Millions upon millions of Christians eat meat and fish, yet one of their 10 Commandments is 'Thou shalt not kill'.
    In terms of raw numbers it dwarves Vegan hypocrisy.
    (This information is useful for dealing with pesky Jehovah Witnesses when they come knocking).

I think it refers to killing humans Seth. I can understand people having the position somebody like Morrissey has. It is because he sees no difference to an animal which has emotions and feeling to a human. I don't view it in quite the same way. Although I love my dog as if he was a human! I think we are simply animals obeying natures laws- we are meat eaters as are dogs, lions, etc... But if you saw it his way, it would be natural to have strong emotions and reactions.
  • Comparable to Morrissey saying that people who "believe" in abatoirs, must also believe in the Nazi gas chambers and that eating meat is no different to pedophilia. Okay Morrissey wasn't answerable to managers in the same was this bloke is, but still a despicable thing to say
    Waitrose have sacked him so vegans are now safe. I'm assuming a team of police are working on this as a vegan hate crime.
  • What a dick. Imagine the uproar if he'd said that about any other group....
    Like the multiple journalists who have, in the same 'jokey' manner suggested killing cyclists? None of them have been sacked or forced to resign...

It's a f***ing stupid thing to say, but I don't think he should be forced to quit over it

Have to agree and I’m one of those he’d be ‘advocating’ hunting. What he said didn’t offend me, I just shrugged, thought ‘what a tit’ and got on with my life.
    had you heard/read his comments before he was sacked or did you only hear about them because of the story reporting his sacking?

I heard about his comments before he left his role. It came up on one of the pages on FB I follow.

• The Guardian 1st Nov 2018
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.
    I'm unclear how it widened them?
  • Comparable to Morrissey saying that people who "believe" in abatoirs, must also believe in the Nazi gas chambers and that eating meat is no different to pedophilia. Okay Morrissey wasn't answerable to managers in the same was this bloke is, but still a despicable thing to say
    Not as despicable as his f*****g music.
  • I had a couple of meat eating friends round yesterday. One brought bread, the other brought some cheeses and I got some wine and some houmous. I also got some butter out and some ham that Mr Tatters had in the fridge. We all start eating and chatting and the vast majority of the time is spent by THEM bringing up the vegan subject. 'ooo so you eat butter' - no, 'you don't mind having ham on the table?' - etc etc etc. All I want to do is enjoy their company. It's non vegans that talk about vegan stuff. I just want to eat what I eat and not be quizzed about it. Then we get onto the xmas pub outing stuff. 'Ooooo we can't go to XXXX pub they don't do vegan stuff' - yes they do if you have jacket potato and beans, and that's fine, I had it in there last year and no one went on about it.

Yep, I can relate to that. It’s worst at work. I can’t just sit and eat my dinner in peace without at least one comment being made. Ffs I just want to eat my rice and beans and do a sudoku.
  • seth plum said:

Millions upon millions of Christians eat meat and fish, yet one of their 10 Commandments is 'Thou shalt not kill'.
    (This information is useful for dealing with pesky Jehovah Witnesses when they come knocking).

The last time they knocked at my door I'd just come out of psychiatric hospital and was still a bit manic. I was delighted when someone knocked on my door so that I could tell them about my latest grandiose ideas in great detail. I announced I'd just got out of the nut house and they disappeared fast.

Yes, as an Omnivore I can eat all the vegan options AND eat meat, fish and dairy

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I didn't kill the meat and fish...
    I just ate it.
  • Sounds familiar that.

Not sure from when. Oh no I just remembered best not to say.

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

So it increased your knowledge, it still decreased your choices.
  • seth plum said:

Pmsl
  • seth plum said:

I think it refers to killing humans Seth. I can understand people having the position somebody like Morrissey has. It is because he sees no difference to an animal which has emotions and feeling to a human. I don't view it in quite the same way. Although I love my dog as if he was a human! I think we are simply animals obeying natures laws- we are meat eaters as are dogs, lions, etc... But if you saw it his way, it would be natural to have strong emotions and reactions.
    I agree there is a difference between animals and humans.
    The Commandment doesn't make that distinction explicitly.

Agreed. A vegan has less food choices than a non-vegan unless I'm missing something?
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No but there is reference to killing animals throughout the bible. Even Jesus helped catch fish!
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No but there is reference to killing animals throughout the bible. Even Jesus helped catch fish!
    I suppose Jesus gets a free pass for his personal fish catching because his dad created them. Maybe thou shalt not kill was an instruction from dad for everybody that wasn't his son.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I suppose Jesus gets a free pass for his personal fish catching because his dad created them. Maybe thou shalt not kill was an instruction from dad for everybody that wasn't his son.
    Therefore he created them himself. Bend your head around that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Not my job, that's down to the Jehovah Witnesses who call round.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

• edited November 2018
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Not my job, that's down to the Jehovah Witnesses who call round.
    What gets rid of them quickly is to politely tell them 'Very sorry, we worship the Lord Lucifer Satan in this house'. They love it when you get into a philosophical discussion with them.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

A non-vegan has more choices than a vegan in terms of what they can eat.
  • edited November 2018

The Guardian 1st Nov 2018

I think this boils down to @AddickUpNorth not knowing his/her choices due to ignorance (not in a nasty sense).

You're quite right, though
  • Well that’s true but becoming Vegan can require you to try things you haven’t before, so while your choice may be more restricted, your food experience may be more varied.

I think this boils down @AddickUpNorth not knowing his/her choices due to ignorance (not in a nasty sense).

I makes me feel ill when we agree...

I think this boils down @AddickUpNorth not knowing his/her choices due to ignorance (not in a nasty sense).

I makes me feel ill when we agree...
    Self inflicted illness is a new one on me :wink:
  • Well that’s true but becoming Vegan can require you to try things you haven’t before, so while your choice may be more restricted, your food experience may be more varied.

What?

What?
    I'm a non-vegan and eat all different types of food. I can't see how becoming vegan will make my food experience more varied?

I'm genuinely confused.