Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• The Guardian 1st Nov 2018
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.
    I'm unclear how it widened them?

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

So it increased your knowledge, it still decreased your choices.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

A non-vegan has more choices than a vegan in terms of what they can eat.

How many different species of animals does your average meat eater in Britain derive their food from on a regular basis? Pig? Chicken? Sheep? Cow? Goat maybe? So let’s say half a dozen. Add in dairy products so milk, cheese, yogurt.
    Now, you can prepare that meat in anyway you want but fundamentally the starting point is the animal itself. The same half dozen species of animals. Now when you consider that there are over 20000 species of edible plants can you see where I’m coming from?
  • You can’t eat meat, so if your previous diet was sausages and mash you will have to try new stuff. There is some great vegan food out there but it can be hard to make.

So your choice is limited (anyone can eat vegan food but vegans can’t eat a lot of things) but the range of foods you eat may expand.

I’m not vegan but can now cook a very good chickpea curry to serve to vegans that I wouldn’t have thought of cooking before.
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

How many different species of animals does your average meat eater in Britain derive their food from on a regular basis? Pig? Chicken? Sheep? Cow? Goat maybe? So let’s say half a dozen. Add in dairy products so milk, cheese, yogurt.
    Now, you can prepare that meat in anyway you want but fundamentally the starting point is the animal itself. The same half dozen species of animals. Now when you consider that there are over 20000 species of edible plants can you see where I’m coming from?
    No. I can eat meat and plants.

I can see where you are coming from, and I'm pretty sure others do to.

It doesn't increase your choices (that's patently obvious) but it does increase your need to try new things that you would not have considered or even heard of before.

I think this boils down to @AddickUpNorth not knowing his/her choices due to ignorance (not in a nasty sense).

You're quite right, though

My ignorance? Please enlighten me because I’m baffled. I was fully aware of what was out there but chose not to consume. When I went vegan I chose to utilise veggies and fruits that I hadn’t considered before. There’s no ignorance there.

I think this boils down to @AddickUpNorth not knowing his/her choices due to ignorance (not in a nasty sense).

My ignorance? Please enlighten me because I’m baffled. I was fully aware of what was out there but chose not to consume. When I went vegan I chose to utilise veggies and fruits that I hadn’t considered before. There’s no ignorance there.

You said you have more choice but you don't obviously.

A vegan can only eat vegan food whereas a non-vegan can eat meat as well.

In which case @hoof_it_up_to_benty is more accurate than I first thought.

If you were aware of all the choices then your scope of foods to choose from was not widened.

My use of 'ignorance' was used in general terms and not as a direct attack on you, which is how you may have taken it.
  • edited November 2018
    My Uncle Henry was a vegan and everything he ate smelt of grated coconut. He became very ill due to a deficiency in vitamin B12 which killed him. He was eccentric but I always liked him. He did interesting things like write plays, and paint.

I was told that shooting a German during WW2, had a profound affect on him, and turned him to a more eccentric life.

Yes, but from my personal experience my choices have widened. I know what you’re saying but if my initial comment has been construed as a suggestion that that’s the case in general then I apologise.

Though why I’m really bothering to argue a point is debatable. After all, nothing anyone on here or in any arena will change the fact that I find it morally wrong to commodify and consume other sentient beings.
  • Sponsored links:

The fact that you chose not to eat those things was entirely up to you, but they still existed as choices, you've removed meat as a choice, yet those plants are still available, therefore choices available to you have decreased, it's simple math, I'm not sure how you're not understandstanding this.

I know what you mean mate. Personally, becoming vegan, forced you into broadening your horizons when it came to the food you eat. But that's not to say that meat eaters don't have the same broad variety of food in their diets, with the added piece of meat here and there
  • @Stu_of_Kunming - I refer you to my post two up ^
  • edited November 2018

The Guardian 1st Nov 2018

Yes, but from my personal experience my choices have widened. I know what you’re saying but if my initial comment has been construed as a suggestion that that’s the case in general then I apologise.

Though why I’m really bothering to argue a point is debatable. After all, nothing anyone on here or in any arena will change the fact that I find it morally wrong to commodify and consume other sentient beings.
    Nobody is trying to change your moral standpoint. They're just pointing out that you're 100% incorrect in asserting that your choices have widened. Especially as you said you knew about all of those choices beforehand.
  • edited November 2018
    Wiatrose now do Piadina. An italian flatbread. Place one in a hot frying pan (no oil) and heat both sides. Then add some Mortadella (be generous) and close into a semi circle. Eat whilst drinking a nice glass of red. My cure for veganism!

I know what you mean mate. Personally, becoming vegan, forced you into broadening your horizons when it came to the food you eat. But that's not to say that meat eaters don't have the same broad variety of food in their diets, with the added piece of meat here and there
    Thanks mod, a choice everyone has but maybe doesn’t look for.
  • No

Just no

There is no way you can spin this - you're basically saying meat eaters *might* be less tempted to try other food because they eat meat? That is the most spurious argument I have ever heard. Literally. It's like saying I *might* seek out different materials for clothes because I've decided I'm only going to wear grey from now on

I eat meat and fish and will happily eat vegetarian or vegan dishes.
  • No

Just no

There is no way you can spin this - you're basically saying meat eaters *might* be less tempted to try other food because they eat meat? That is the most spurious argument I have ever heard. Literally. It's like saying I *might* seek out different materials for clothes because I've decided I'm only going to wear grey from now on

I eat meat and fish and will happily eat vegetarian or vegan dishes.
    Exactamundo

Nobody is trying to change your moral standpoint. They're just pointing out that your 100% incorrect in asserting that your choices have widened. Especially as you said you knew about all of those choices beforehand.

Ffs, my choices have widened because I’ve allowed them to, because I’ve chosen to utilise food that I haven’t before. I eat far more varied meals than I did before, not sticking to the same old tired choices that I’d locked into. Yes, I concede that the choice was always there but going vegan helped me widen my culinary skills. All on a PERSONAL level. So maybe if I had been more clear when I made my original post I could have avoided and not lost the last twenty-odd minutes of my life.

Nobody is trying to change your moral standpoint. They're just pointing out that your 100% incorrect in asserting that your choices have widened. Especially as you said you knew about all of those choices beforehand.

Ffs, my choices have widened because I’ve allowed them to, because I’ve chosen to utilise food that I haven’t before. I eat far more varied meals than I did before, not sticking to the same old tired choices that I’d locked into. Yes, I concede that the choice was always there but going vegan helped me widen my culinary skills. All on a PERSONAL level. So maybe if I had been more clear when I made my original post I could have avoided and not lost the last twenty-odd minutes of my life.

Agreed that your culinary skills have widened.

Close the thread.
  • Sponsored links:

This might sound churlish, but if you don't want to be exasperated by responses, don't say such profoundly daft things :lol:
  • How about wafer thin ham?

Close the thread.
    We need a vegan thread.
  • How about wafer thin ham?

I doubt that crap has any meat in it, tbh.

Close the thread.
    We need a vegan thread.
    Really looking forward to that one :neutral:

Close the thread.
    We need a vegan thread.
    Really looking forward to that one :neutral:
    For Vegans ....

Close the thread.
    We need a vegan thread.
    For balance and a sense of natural justice, could we also have omnivore and carnivore threads?

Close the thread.

Might as well because it’s just a thread where a small band of posters have to try and justify their standpoint to a larger group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions. If ever a thread just turns in circles it’s this one.

you don't have to justify anything mate, you choose to force that shit on us... :)

Close the thread.

Might as well because it’s just a thread where a small band of posters have to try and justify their standpoint to a larger group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions. If ever a thread just turns in circles it’s this one.

So long as you stay morally superior then you'll always be able to titter at everyone.

I'd love to be you.