Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Sheesh I'm dreading the Christmas rush on this thread.
  • Snow again this Christmas (sniffs)
  • seth plum said:

Sheesh I'm dreading the Christmas rush on this thread.

We're just having a Vurkey crown this tear.
  • just as a thought if we all stopped eating meat tomorrow what happens to the animals that are no longer required for food?

They would cease to exist.
  • just as a thought if we all stopped eating meat tomorrow what happens to the animals that are no longer required for food?

That's a lot of animals that would cease to exist.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2011/07/27/counting-chickens

(and these figures are nearly 10 years old)
  • edited November 2018

seth plum said:

Sheesh I'm dreading the Christmas rush on this thread.

We're just having a Vurkey crown this tear.
    We're having veal, oh that works!
  • I saw something on a menu the other day called 'Vegan Chicken Bites' . Turned out it was Jackfruit.

Find it odd they need to pretend it's something nice to make it sound appealing.

Ironic seeing as that's exactly what an 'ordinary' diet looks like.

'free range happy eggs' 'cows milk from a proper dairy farm' list goes on. That is far more deceptive than a mock title for food
    LOL Not the same at all.

Two describe things they are... your vegan one describes itself as an animal in order to try and draw people that wouldn't eat it.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I saw something on a menu the other day called 'Vegan Chicken Bites' . Turned out it was Jackfruit.

Find it odd they need to pretend it's something nice to make it sound appealing.

Ironic seeing as that's exactly what an 'ordinary' diet looks like.

'free range happy eggs' 'cows milk from a proper dairy farm' list goes on. That is far more deceptive than a mock title for food
    LOL Not the same at all.

Two describe things they are... your vegan one describes itself as an animal in order to try and draw people that wouldn't eat it.
    Pretty certain it's just to make things easier rather than calling it 'tofu square shapes that taste like fish' and not to trick anyone but whatever floats your boat on that one. Either way it's a bizarre thing to question or be bothered by.

I meant the real trick is making out like free range and happy cows etc is actually true. It's comparable in the irony that an average eater thinks a vegan dish is trying to 'trick an eater' by a name but they turn a blind eye to animals literally getting tortured not taking any notice of how they promote it as 'happy cows' 'well looked after pigs' etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

just as a thought if we all stopped eating meat tomorrow what happens to the animals that are no longer required for food?

That's a lot of animals that would cease to exist.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2011/07/27/counting-chickens

(and these figures are nearly 10 years old)
    Ha, ha, I was thinking more of sheep, cows and pigs. Far too expensive to keep this sort of animal as pets so the numbers would decline dramatically and breeding would come to a standstill.
  • Just curious but where exactly is ‘burger’ on a cow or upon which part of a pig do the ‘sausages’ grow? I was under the belief that those names are generic terms for foodstuffs that have been formed into a particular shape. How naive was I?

TAKE YOUR SENSE TALKING TO ANOTHER THREAD M8
  • edited November 2018

Just curious but where exactly is ‘burger’ on a cow or upon which part of a pig do the ‘sausages’ grow? I was under the belief that those names are generic terms for foodstuffs that have been formed into a particular shape. How naive was I?

Burger - Generally processed Cow or Pig but can sometimes be Chicken meat, bean, halloumi, mushroom etc.... in a bun with usually some lettuce or tomato.

Sausages - Processed Pig, chicken or meat replacement substance (Quorn, Tofu etc).

Vegan Chicken Bites - NO FRICKEN CHICKEN TO BE SEEN!

Why not just call them Tofu Nuggets?

Quorn do - remove the meat prefix and replace it with your substitutes name.

Just look at all the names they could have:
    https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/burgers-nuggets-and-sausages
  • Haven’t read much of this thread. A couple moved in next to us about 18 months ago. Both in their early 50’s. She a Pilates instructor, him a building inspector. Both committed Vegans. Always ill. As I type they have texted my wife to day they are both bedridden with the Flu, AGAIN. This is their second bout since September. They have had more colds this year than I have had in 10. They need some meat.
  • I've had to jump from page 31 to 41 so apologies if someone else has already done this

I've been doing some research into a few things in regards to what I eat and where it has come from. I've bought only organic and free range meat for a while, I'm still looking at going not vegetarian or vegan but 100% organic and non pesticide treated or GM food. This will make a lot of meat to expensive to have regularly and also the vegetables will be a bit dearer but I've seen so many instances of dramatic improvements in people's health and also, and whilst I appreciate this is pretty wordy, I want to be a bit less of a hypocrite where I donate to animal charities yet sponsor their suffering by eating them.

So my journey so far has led me to buying only vegan shower gel, shampoo and deodorant which pleasingly means that the anti perspirant I use is no longer laced with aluminium and lots of other stuff I don't really want entering my body

I've set up a weekly subscription with a local organic local fruit and vegetable shop. Only the bananas and citrus fruit is imported or comes from more than 30 miles away.

The mass produced cheese is no more, this is also coming from Kent dairy farms and this is something I wish I did years ago, for about a quid more than we were paying for cathedral city or whoever from the supermarket we have been treated to some beautiful cheese's and only had one 'NEVER SEND THIS AGAIN' involving a sheep cheese that my gag reflex just couldn't handle

This stuff also means we are throwing a lot less non-recyclable stuff in the black bin.

I've been recommended to ease into plant-based meals and will be doing te equivalent of only listening to a bands greatest hits by going for a few meals at a highly rated vegan place near me.

If the demand for shit meat can be reduced so can the supply. No more cheap, water injected meat at all

I was fed a genuinely delicious eggplant lasagne last week by one of my mates girlfriends who has been full on vegan for years and if every meal was of that standard I'd be ok to think about veganism

Until I started my cheese cravings!

• masicat said:

Haven’t read much of this thread. A couple moved in next to us about 18 months ago. Both in their early 50’s. She a Pilates instructor, him a building inspector. Both committed Vegans. Always ill. As I type they have texted my wife to day they are both bedridden with the Flu, AGAIN. This is their second bout since September. They have had more colds this year than I have had in 10. They need some meat.

Disagree with this attitude towards veganism.

It's proven time and time again by scientists to be healthier overall.

If it were just a dietary choice, it'd be treated the same as vegetarianism is mostly. It's fine. It's just what you like.
  • As a serious aside

Omnivores are taking in so many really, really shitty additives by eating processed meat I'm of the mind it's a big factor in so many people getting cancer. I could be miles wide of the mark but I had family who were essentially self-sufficient, pretty much only went to the shops for stuff like washing up liquid, bog roll and tobacco. All of the ones I'm thinking of lived into their nineties and a few into 3 figures.

If we went round to see them, we would always be fed. And fed well

Bread was made, fuck knows how but it was and it was beautiful

Dinners were potato based with vegetables coming fresh out of the ground, if meat was involved it meant one of the chickens was getting it, or a rabbit and would be ready for cooking in about 20 minutes of watching my great aunt sat pulling feathers or fur off, guts out and then chopping. Fascinated and horrified me in equal measure

Artifical preservatives, refined sugar, and a lot of stuff you wouldn't choose to ingest if sat in front of you going in our food is a disgrace.
  • masicat said:

Haven’t read much of this thread. A couple moved in next to us about 18 months ago. Both in their early 50’s. She a Pilates instructor, him a building inspector. Both committed Vegans. Always ill. As I type they have texted my wife to day they are both bedridden with the Flu, AGAIN. This is their second bout since September. They have had more colds this year than I have had in 10. They need some meat.

I'm 27, been Vegan over a year now and haven't been ill once since. My prior years I got food poisoning here and there and was sick at least once a year maybe through dodgy food. So that argument works both ways

• Carter said:

means that the anti perspirant I use is no longer laced with aluminium and lots of other stuff I don't really want entering my body

You’re supposed to spray it on the outside @Carter not sit on it :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

I'm 27, been Vegan over a year now and haven't been ill once since. My prior years I got food poisoning here and there and was sick at least once a year maybe through dodgy food. So that argument works both ways

I always thought that rice and leafy greens (spinach, lettuce and cabbage etc.) were the biggest cause of food poisoning. Not that it matters to me, I eat it all and sometimes without any meat on the plate.

Be careful out there guys
  • Just curious but where exactly is ‘burger’ on a cow or upon which part of a pig do the ‘sausages’ grow? I was under the belief that those names are generic terms for foodstuffs that have been formed into a particular shape. How naive was I?

I may have missed something but, were people not questioning why you (not you personally) have vegan “fish” and chips and vegan “chicken” nuggets?

• Discussing the language used clouds the principle issues in my view.
    It is a valid discussion as far as it goes don't get me wrong, but if the accusation towards vegans and vegetarians is that somehow they secretly love the taste of certain meats and fish, don't really mean it after all, and yearn for that which they deny themselves by basically being poseurs.
    One approach is that certain foods are labelled the way they are in order to encourage transition, but the words 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' are big signals.
    I mean I doubt if a chippy uses 'vegan' fish and pretends it is real.It reminds me of a story I once heard about a hostess irritated at having a vegetarian amongst her guests, assured the vegetarian that the gravy was vegetarian when it was actually meat/animal based. After the vegetarian had finished eating the hostess revealed that the gravy was meat based, but followed it up with a smug 'but you liked that didn't you, you ate it all'.
    One of my fears is being 'confused' in a care home at an advanced age and being given fish or meat and not knowing.
  • seth plum said:

Discussing the language used clouds the principle issues in my view.
    It is a valid discussion as far as it goes don't get me wrong, but if the accusation towards vegans and vegetarians is that somehow they secretly love the taste of certain meats and fish, don't really mean it after all, and yearn for that which they deny themselves by basically being poseurs.
    One approach is that certain foods are labelled the way they are in order to encourage transition, but the words 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' are big signals.
    I mean I doubt if a chippy uses 'vegan' fish and pretends it is real.It reminds me of a story I once heard about a hostess irritated at having a vegetarian amongst her guests, assured the vegetarian that the gravy was vegetarian when it was actually meat/animal based. After the vegetarian had finished eating the hostess revealed that the gravy was meat based, but followed it up with a smug 'but you liked that didn't you, you ate it all'.
    One of my fears is being 'confused' in a care home at an advanced age and being given fish or meat and not knowing.

I've had this discussion with people before, for me there are 4 types of vegan/vegetarian

1) Vegetarian/Vegan for ethical reasons, don't want animals killed or mistreated in their name
    2) essential dietary reasons, people's whose stomachs can't digest meat essentially so stick to pescatarian/vegan/vegetarian diets for the sake of their health and wellbeing
    3) sports or physical performance reasons, David Haye is an example of this as are a couple of rugby players whose names are escaping me who, whilst in training stick to only a plant based regime. All of them look like they are carved from granite
    4) Necessesity, if you move to another country where either meat is a luxury or food hygiene is non-existent and will play merry hell with our western guts, it's best to stay on cooked vegetables. One of my best mates is Indian and whenever he goes to visit family he becomes a pescatarian for a few weeks for this exact reason

I could probably put another category in for fashionable vegetarians and vegans but thatbwoukd sound like I'm digging when I'm not. Either way, we live in a world where people are allowed a choice thankfully and whilst I laugh at the jokes about knowing people are vegan because they will tell you, I do so with a light heart.

What isn't acceptable is people unknowingly being given meat for a giggle or some sort of test. Would they give someone allergic to nuts something with them in and wait with baited breath for them to go into anaphylactic shock to prove a point?

One thing has to be considered and that is the sheer volume of greenhouse gases created by the massive livestock demand, let alone the fact that most of the world would be vegetarian if access to meat was by killing it and preparing it yourself, and let's not forget the thing that makes me a hypocrite is the fact we breed these animals for them to be killed and selected parts of them eaten by us. Which I don't like but continue to sponsor even by buying organic and free range meat. It was alive once and now it isn't because I don't have the willpower to totally cut out meat
  • @Manicmania The reasons for a plant-based diet are numerous and positive. This thread concerns the increasing interest in being a vegan and, on it, I promote a plant-based diet to those who may be interested in the issues.
    If some people don't like the topic, why open and read the thread, let alone comment on it?
    Like it, or not, veganism is on the up and the positivity of it will continue to attract people.

Been away for a few days so sorry for the late response. My understanding was we were on a forum to discuss a plethora of viewpoints (although granted mainly charlton based) the whole - "if you don't agree with the op don't open the thread" thing is a total cop out. I followed and enjoyed watching the debate unfold before I posted and decided to share my view so I did so.

I think my post (the first one not the obviously joke one) was valid and I stand by it. If you want to argue what I said then go for it. If you aren't looking for opposing views and/or debate perhaps start a blog?
  • I love this thread it’s the bollox

Vegans are mental I love that

• Carter said:

seth plum said:

I've had this discussion with people before, for me there are 4 types of vegan/vegetarian

1) Vegetarian/Vegan for ethical reasons, don't want animals killed or mistreated in their name
    2) essential dietary reasons, people's whose stomachs can't digest meat essentially so stick to pescatarian/vegan/vegetarian diets for the sake of their health and wellbeing
    3) sports or physical performance reasons, David Haye is an example of this as are a couple of rugby players whose names are escaping me who, whilst in training stick to only a plant based regime. All of them look like they are carved from granite
    4) Necessesity, if you move to another country where either meat is a luxury or food hygiene is non-existent and will play merry hell with our western guts, it's best to stay on cooked vegetables. One of my best mates is Indian and whenever he goes to visit family he becomes a pescatarian for a few weeks for this exact reason

I could probably put another category in for fashionable vegetarians and vegans but thatbwoukd sound like I'm digging when I'm not. Either way, we live in a world where people are allowed a choice thankfully and whilst I laugh at the jokes about knowing people are vegan because they will tell you, I do so with a light heart.

What isn't acceptable is people unknowingly being given meat for a giggle or some sort of test. Would they give someone allergic to nuts something with them in and wait with baited breath for them to go into anaphylactic shock to prove a point?

One thing has to be considered and that is the sheer volume of greenhouse gases created by the massive livestock demand, let alone the fact that most of the world would be vegetarian if access to meat was by killing it and preparing it yourself, and let's not forget the thing that makes me a hypocrite is the fact we breed these animals for them to be killed and selected parts of them eaten by us. Which I don't like but continue to sponsor even by buying organic and free range meat. It was alive once and now it isn't because I don't have the willpower to totally cut out meat
    5) Just doing it for attention.
  • JaShea99 said:

Carter said:

seth plum said:

It would be easier just to walk around naked
  • Think he said attention not humiliation.
  • JaShea99 said:

Carter said:

seth plum said:

6) to match your tattoo