Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Kill the animal as quickly as possible. There are people around prepared to do that, and that’s fine with me, I’ll just do the buying and eating part. It’s like there’s people prepared to go down into the sewers to budge all the shit that clogs up. Would I enjoy my morning dump as much if I had to get down there and shift it, no, but as long as there are people that will, then I’ll keep enjoy doing it.

Ok I'm someone who likes a good analogy but this is bizarre mate. What is your point?

We as humans need a system in place for waste disposal. People are paid money to do this and it is something that needs to be done. Eating meat is a dietary choice and completely incomparable to enjoying having a dump in the morning
    It doesn't seem at all bizarre to me. He's just saying that if someone else is prepared to do the dirty work, he's prepared to reap the benefits. I fully understand why you might not agree with his stance, but it really isn't rocket science understanding it.
    I can assure you, I understand the post I read, that doesn't change that it's more or less nonsense in my eyes.

Waste disposal is necessary for the planet, a meal choice isn't. If that was the aim of the post.

But if it was just a general throw away comment to try and justify eating meat, it's like saying 'yeah I buy my clobber off someone who robs people locally, he is prepared to do it but as long as I don't get my hands dirty no harm done'

The buyer is still the problem ultimately and it doesn't mean they aren't the problem
    The man gave you his honest reasoning as to why he eats meat. You deride this by saying it's nonsense, suggesting that his comment was 'throw away'. Who are you trying to convince of your opinion?

As someone who has considerable sympathy for your overall aims but who isn't ready to make the commitment to vegetarianism, let alone veganism, I personally feel the derision you pour on others' thinking to be very off-putting. Vegans come in for a lot of stick for sticking to their principles and in my opinion much of this is unfair. I can't help but think that your high-handed attitude to those who choose to eat the foodstuffs that they have evolved to eat is likely to be hugely counterproductive.
    Pretty wrong actually, on all accounts. I genuinely couldn't give a flying anymore what anyone eats or does. Past that point. People are too dumb to reason with and that's that. I'm happy knowing I'm doing my bit that's that.

I will call out a dumb post on a subject I know a lot about when I see one and that was one. So basically I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, just felt like saying a comment was completely unrelatable on every level as one task is compulsory and in most people's cases, a diet choice isn't

Edit: read it back and it seems like I'm being quite aggressive which is what's frustrating about text as it was more a care free post than smashing keypad. I quite like Gary's posts for the most part, just don't agree with him on this thread.

Also like to add this is quite literally the only vegan thread on Charlton life. No one has gone on the Christmas dinner thread as far as I know and said 'haha lettuce' or whatever other witty comment
  • It can be very dangerous being vegetarian.

Over the weekend I was looking for some Pandan leaves in the local Asian store and not being sure what they looked like, but knowing they were spicy vanilla flavour, I pulled off a piece of leaf to try from a likely looking green leaf and nearly ended up in A&E. It was a Taro leaf, full of toxins that eaten raw has the same effect as swallowing ground up razorblades with a soupçon of hydrochloric acid. Unable to speak or swallow for some time, nauseous and salivating leaving tongue and throat ulcerated. Lucky it was no more than the size of half a postage stamp.

Given the obsession with food labelling how can a poisonous plant be on sale next to a cucumber. Eating animals now looks a lot safer bet to me.

• The Guardian, 31 Dec 2018
    Record numbers sign up for 'Veganuary'

In May, scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet declared that avoiding meat and dairy products was the single biggest thing an individual could do for the environment.

Joseph Poore, of Oxford University, who led the research, said: “A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth – not just greenhouse gases but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use. It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car.”

https://theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/dec/31/year-of-the-vegan-record-numbers-sign-up-for-veganuary
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

Kill the animal as quickly as possible. There are people around prepared to do that, and that’s fine with me, I’ll just do the buying and eating part. It’s like there’s people prepared to go down into the sewers to budge all the shit that clogs up. Would I enjoy my morning dump as much if I had to get down there and shift it, no, but as long as there are people that will, then I’ll keep enjoy doing it.

Ok I'm someone who likes a good analogy but this is bizarre mate. What is your point?

We as humans need a system in place for waste disposal. People are paid money to do this and it is something that needs to be done. Eating meat is a dietary choice and completely incomparable to enjoying having a dump in the morning
    It doesn't seem at all bizarre to me. He's just saying that if someone else is prepared to do the dirty work, he's prepared to reap the benefits. I fully understand why you might not agree with his stance, but it really isn't rocket science understanding it.
    I can assure you, I understand the post I read, that doesn't change that it's more or less nonsense in my eyes.

Waste disposal is necessary for the planet, a meal choice isn't. If that was the aim of the post.

But if it was just a general throw away comment to try and justify eating meat, it's like saying 'yeah I buy my clobber off someone who robs people locally, he is prepared to do it but as long as I don't get my hands dirty no harm done'

The buyer is still the problem ultimately and it doesn't mean they aren't the problem
    The man gave you his honest reasoning as to why he eats meat. You deride this by saying it's nonsense, suggesting that his comment was 'throw away'. Who are you trying to convince of your opinion?

As someone who has considerable sympathy for your overall aims but who isn't ready to make the commitment to vegetarianism, let alone veganism, I personally feel the derision you pour on others' thinking to be very off-putting. Vegans come in for a lot of stick for sticking to their principles and in my opinion much of this is unfair. I can't help but think that your high-handed attitude to those who choose to eat the foodstuffs that they have evolved to eat is likely to be hugely counterproductive.
    Pretty wrong actually, on all accounts. I genuinely couldn't give a flying anymore what anyone eats or does. Past that point. People are too dumb to reason with and that's that. I'm happy knowing I'm doing my bit that's that.

I will call out a dumb post on a subject I know a lot about when I see one and that was one. So basically I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, just felt like saying a comment was completely unrelatable on every level as one task is compulsory and in most people's cases, a diet choice isn't

Edit: read it back and it seems like I'm being quite aggressive which is what's frustrating about text as it was more a care free post than smashing keypad. I quite like Gary's posts for the most part, just don't agree with him on this thread.

Also like to add this is quite literally the only vegan thread on Charlton life. No one has gone on the Christmas dinner thread as far as I know and said 'haha lettuce' or whatever other witty comment
    That'll help.
  • Deliberately bein Piers Morgan. Stealing a living.
  • In fact, enjoying a battery-farmed fried egg sandwich right now. Free range woukd be tastier, but needs musts.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Not very cool mate. Take a look at @Arsenetatters rescue hens at the time of rescue.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

That'll help.
    Honestly without being too blunt I ain't fussed. I was in the same boat and just ignored it for ages, then I done some research and that's that. Obviously more ignorance than actually dumb. Should have worded it better

• Not very cool mate. Take a look at @Arsenetatters rescue hens at the time of rescue.

Could do with a bit more meat on it
  • CAFCsayer said:

Not very cool mate. Take a look at @Arsenetatters rescue hens at the time of rescue.

It's probably got some meat on it but the feathers are lacking
  • CAFCsayer said:

It's probably got some meat on it but the feathers are lacking
    Like mine a little more plump, but at least it is defeathered ready for a piripiri rub, I guess.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

That'll help.
    Honestly without being too blunt I ain't fussed. I was in the same boat and just ignored it for ages, then I done some research and that's that. Obviously more ignorance than actually dumb. Should have worded it better

But the majority of us know about how the meat is raised. And to paraphrase without being blunt we ain’t fussed.
  • If there were two snooker players who you could guess would be vegan, it would be those two... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• If there were two snooker players who you could guess would be vegan, it would be those two... :-)

I believe Carter and McGill are also vegan
  • edited January 2019
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Ronnie is probably not a vegan.

Decent control from the snooker players not taking o dry offends at Pliers Morgan calling them ‘mate’
  • edited January 2019
    Greenwich town centre Greggs is sold out of Vegan sausage rolls.
    Make of that what you will. So i got a real one.
  • MrOneLung said:

Stig said:

Stig said:

That'll help.

But the majority of us know about how the meat is raised. And to paraphrase without being blunt we ain’t fussed.
    Most don't, not truly and what damage it does and if they do it's very questionable on them to carry on as if it's ok.

But that's fine, I'm glad to know you ain't fussed
  • edited January 2019

'Veganism is compassion'. Not it's not. It's a dietary choice, nothing more.

This faux justification is nothing short of nauseating.

Narcicism of the ugliest kind.

Behave. If you think I went vegan cause I was desperate to eat tofu and broccoli over some gamon you are bonkers. It is absolutely compassionate to go vegan. Trying to down play it is trying to downplay it is riduculous. So just for the record pal, animals die for genuinely no reason other than greed, they live in awful conditions from the word go to be killed and well you know the rest. Vegans feel awful about that. Now here is the definition of compassion. But of course if you want to ignore the facts that's fine, most people do
    Listen, son, if you feel the need to wrap your dietary choice up as being some kind of compassionate crusade then that's absolutely fine. So long as you know, deep down, that you're just massaging your ego and then forcefully projecting it on to other people as some sort of moral war that you're fighting.

Animals die due to a variety of reasons. To suggest that they die for no reason other than greed is nothing short of wilfully lying.

If you want to project falsehoods then that's fine, as most vegans do.

Just remember, you don't have a monopoly on compassion or the feeling awful about something. You just let your emotions get the better of you more so than others.

Happy Friday :smile:
  • 'Veganism is compassion'. Not it's not. It's a dietary choice, nothing more.

Behave. If you think I went vegan cause I was desperate to eat tofu and broccoli over some gamon you are bonkers. It is absolutely compassionate to go vegan. Trying to down play it is trying to downplay it is riduculous. So just for the record pal, animals die for genuinely no reason other than greed, they live in awful conditions from the word go to be killed and well you know the rest. Vegans feel awful about that. Now here is the definition of compassion. But of course if you want to ignore the facts that's fine, most people do
    Listen, son, if you feel the need to wrap your dietary choice up as being some kind of compassionate crusade then that's absolutely fine. So long as you know, deep down, that you're just massaging your ego and then forcefully projecting it on to other people as some sort of moral war that you're fighting.

Animals die due to a variety of reasons. To suggest that they die for no reason other than greed is nothing short of wilfully lying.

Just remember, you don't have a monopoly on compassion or the feeling awful about something. You just let your emotions get the better of you more so than others.

It is. That's a fact. I don't do it for health reasons for myself, or because I prefer veg so what else could it possibly be? Or are you trying to imply that I've cut out some of my past favourite foods, just so I can say 'i'm compassionate' and that's to dampen 'my ego'. Mental.

'animals die due to a variety of reasons'. Why have you even said this? We are literally on a vegan thread. I can't make this any clearer, animals don't have to die for your food choice. So please tell me how that sentence is even relevant right now. No different from me robbing someone and saying 'listen mate, don't tell me I'm wrong, people get robbed every day''

I talk facts or I don't bother at all. Forget your bullshit monopoly nonsense. I've already shown you what compassion means, if you want to be a troll and overlook it for what it is that's fine. Just keep it to yourself
  • 'Veganism is compassion'. Not it's not. It's a dietary choice, nothing more.

It is. That's a fact. I don't do it for health reasons for myself, or because I prefer veg so what else could it possibly be? Or are you trying to imply that I've cut out some of my past favourite foods, just so I can say 'i'm compassionate' and that's to dampen 'my ego'. Mental.

'animals die due to a variety of reasons'. Why have you even said this? We are literally on a vegan thread. I can't make this any clearer, animals don't have to die for your food choice. So please tell me how that sentence is even relevant right now. No different from me robbing someone and saying 'listen mate, don't tell me I'm wrong, people get robbed every day''

I talk facts or I don't bother at all. Forget your bullshit monopoly nonsense. I've already shown you what compassion means, if you want to be a troll and overlook it for what it is that's fine. Just keep it to yourself
    Er, I think you'll find that they absolutely do. I choose to eat meat. Ergo, animals have to die. I like my red meat, on the whole, rare but I draw the line at raw.

You talk, as do most people, in opinions. There's a massive difference between fact and opinion. A choice is not a fact. There may be factors you use to justify those choices but those factors aren't facts.

Forget your compassion bullshit and tell it for what it is, a choice. A choice that not everybody wants, or wishes, to make.

What's it like to live in a bubble where you believe you only talk in facts and that anything you say should never be challenged because, like, facts? It goes full circle to the ego part, again.

You'll be levitating soon.