Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    You need a decent mix of meat and vegetables for a truly appetising plate. For me anyway!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You need a decent mix of meat and vegetables for a truly appetising plate. For me anyway!

One man’s meat is another man’s poison Dazzler.
  • Options
    Those wicked meals are nice, not afraid of a bit of spice, which is really lacking in your standard lunchtime meal deal. Problem is when you walk into Tesco, you're confronted with a wicked wrap for 3 quid or a sandwich, snack and a drink for the same price.

No doubt your average vegan will insist on some kind of kombucha and dried mango, so you're looking at a pricey lunch. In the words of a famous philosopher...it ain't easy being green.*

* ;) For the second paragraph, sorry.
  • Options

@DaveMehmet It's typical of 'ready' meals that contain a variety of soft / chopped-up vegetables. There are lots of plant-based sausages and burgers available, but vegan food is, for the most part, moist and soft, e.g. dahl, curry, etc.
    I would play down the aesthetics, placing greater importance on the ingredients. I have not purchased this product, but reckon it would be tasty. Food manufacturers have responded to the rise in the interest of veganism by introducing an array of new products - very different to when I adopted a vegan diet twenty years ago. I purchase ready meals from time to time because they are convenient. My preference is for uncomplicated home-prepared meals.

Thanks. I've actually started to eat less meat and have more vegetable dishes recently, which have been nice (had a lovely lentil curry on Tuesday).

It's for health rather than moral reasons but I'm well aware that there are a lot of lovely veggie dishes out there. My wife cooks some lovely ones.

Saying that though, I'm off to a steak place for lunch so maybe I'm a lost cause
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Dazzler21 said:

One man’s meat is another man’s poison Dazzler.
    Homophobe. :wink:

I'd accept some pulled pork style jackfruit as a meat replacement option now and again!

I'll admit I don't eat meat every day, but it's more affordability and quality than a moral choice.
  • Options
    Veganuary seems to be in full swing. My local supermarket seems to have twice as much vegetarian/vegan stuff in the freezers/fridges as usual and a lot of it is discounted. Which is good because normally they're twice as expensive or more than the meat equivalent pound for pound.

Twitter personality Jack Monroe has been publishing a lot of content on being veggie/vegan on a shoestring, as her recipes and advice are aimed at food bank and benefits claimaints and those in poverty. She has sometimes pointed out that in some areas it can be difficult to get a rounded nutritional diet for a family without animal products simply due to the high cost of veggie substitutes and lack of availability of good veg in poorer, remote areas.
  • Options
    Had a Greggs vegan sausage roll yesterday, have to say they are really nice and I wasn't sure if they made a mistake and gave me an actual sausage roll
  • Options

Had a Greggs vegan sausage roll yesterday, have to say they are really nice and I wasn't sure if they made a mistake and gave me an actual sausage roll

I had one at the weekend, I'd think about having one over a meat one now, as what's in the meat one doesn't really bear thinking about.

Been a brilliant piece of marketing by Gregg's. Whether they keep them or not.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Veganuary seems to be in full swing. My local supermarket seems to have twice as much vegetarian/vegan stuff in the freezers/fridges as usual and a lot of it is discounted. Which is good because normally they're twice as expensive or more than the meat equivalent pound for pound.

Twitter personality Jack Monroe has been publishing a lot of content on being veggie/vegan on a shoestring, as her recipes and advice are aimed at food bank and benefits claimaints and those in poverty. She has sometimes pointed out that in some areas it can be difficult to get a rounded nutritional diet for a family without animal products simply due to the high cost of veggie substitutes and lack of availability of good veg in poorer, remote areas.

Sounds like you need to change your name to Veeeeeeeg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I

Really? People go vegetarian, what people call vegan now but is probably more veggie without more stuff and hardcore vegan where you don’t eat honey because of the harm done to the bees for many different reasons.

The more evangelical the individual, be they meat eater, veggie or vegan, the more likely they are to expose an element of hypocrisy in their arguments.

There are environmental and ethical grounds for not intensively farming animals or plant based proteins. No intensively farmed products are good for the environment, some people are very opposed to ending any animal’s life, I am not sure if any of these would intentionally harm a fly or step on an ant, probably a limited number.

What you eat is a choice and yes we are mostly divorced from the actions taken to provide that food.

Make your own decisions, few free to explain why you have made them if you want but please don’t tell other people what they should do. They will make their own choices.

In my experience, daughter is vegan, she is constantly questioned about why she is vegan and told how unhealthy it is (particularly by our extended family).
    When she finally has enough of the questions and judgement and responds she then gets the standard response of 'typical preachy vegan'.

In my opinion there should be no problem either way, it is for each individual to choose but the national outcry over a vegan sausage roll proves that is not the case, by the response you would have thought they were compulsory and that the meat one was no longer available, when in reality it was just another choice.
    My comment was aimed equally at everyone not at vegans.
  • Options
    Quorn chilli and rice again with a homemade guacamole, tres bien
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I bought some of the new vegan M&S plant food brand this morning, not friend it yet as if for tomorrow lunch but looks yum.

*edit (It’s called Plant Kitchen)
  • Options

I had one at the weekend, I'd think about having one over a meat one now, as what's in the meat one doesn't really bear thinking about.

Same as the sausages down the cafe: lips and arseholes

• Options
    Quorn eaters trying to be Vegan, remember to check the packaging as many Quorn products contain egg whites.
  • Options

Same as the sausages down the cafe: lips and arseholes

Probably true but what on earth do you think is in a vegan sausage roll??
  • Options
    Are vegans allowed to have dogs which have been domesticated for our own pleasure ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Are vegans allowed to have dogs which have been domesticated for our own pleasure ?

We have one rescue Lab and one rescue cat.
    The Lab had had 11 litters and she was rescued just before she was going to be shot dead by the breeder as she could no longer produce money for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    MrOneLung said:

Vegans can do what they want since it isn't actually a defined term. So you can have pets and call yourself a vegan.

Vegetarian is specifically a dietary preference that you do not consume produce from a slaughtered animal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not necessarily vegan but there’s an egg free cake shop opening up in Bexleyheath
  • Options

Quorn chilli and rice again with a homemade guacamole, tres bien

Substituting meat with puy lentils makes for a very nice chilli.
  • Options

Not necessarily vegan but there’s an egg free cake shop opening up in Bexleyheath

I’m not convinced that there are enough vegans in the area to warrant opening such a shop.
  • Options
    If I were a vegan, cruelty-free eggs would be fine in my opinion. What else would you do with them?
  • Options

I am aware it's for something else but the confusion is hilarious!
    @olster is that you I see!!??!!
  • Options
    I’m somewhere in between a vegetarian and vegan. I don’t eat meat nor will I drink milk or eat eggs. My weakness is cheese so if anyone has any decent vegan cheeses, please shout. Ive tried a few and they were terrible.

Generally feel a lot fitter and healthier since converting 3 years ago. Whether that’s psychological or not, I’m not sure. If someone had said that to me back in the days when I was eating meat, I’d have called them a bullshitter so can see both sides of the coin.

Still find not eating meat to be a bit inconvenient when living a busy life. All my meals have to be cooked from home as there are limited options here in NZ, certainly of a healthy variety.

Be keen to hear about any decent vegans recipes if possible. Too often after a busy day at work, I end up eating a falafel or halloumi wrap for dinner and want to add a bit more variety.