Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Extension of ULEZ to South Circular

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Give it a few years and the £12.50 a day charge will be £15, then £20...
    But by then, I would imagine most of the non-compliant cars would have been disposed of.

Whilst it doesn't affect us as our cars are compliant, I feel sorry for those it does. A lot of those will have bought diesel cars when the government promoted them and will now be stuck with them. It will affect people on lower incomes more as they may not be able to just go out and buy a new/compliant car.

It's also nonsense to say that people don't need cars in this day and age. How many thousands use them to get to work where public transport options are either poor or non-existent?

Once electric cars are used more widely used and the taxes generated by the motorist diminishes, you can bet your bottom dollar the "environmental tax" that they like to remind us all it is will conveniently go back to being a plain old road tax.
    Or road users will simply be charged according to how much and when they use them in the same way as just about everything else  food - energy - transport - cinemas - parking - housing etc.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Less buses is not the solution to the climate crisis, bizarre comment
    I have to ask. What 'Climate crisis'?  Would that be the same as the 'Covid Crisis'? 
    Bunch of wankers guessing and scaring the crap out of everyone, so they'll do as they are told. Meanwhile, making gazillions for the usual suspects. Same shit different day.
    Got to LOL, right?
    There’s one on every thread isn’t there..

• Options
    Transport for London (TfL) generated more than £90m last year from expanding the capital's Ultra Low Emission Zone.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63331505
  • Options
    Improve public transport.  There needs to be a culture change where the idea that public transport is a business with a primary aim of making profit rather than a public service with a primary aim of making our communities work is seen for the pernicious nonsense it is.

Certain services - power, water, transport - should not lie in the private domain.  If there were decent public transport hundreds of thousands if not millions would ditch their cars with the insane expense that goes with owning one.

Oh I'm sorry, i thought this was the HOC.

Robert Lindsay to reprise role as Wolfie in Citizen Smith return  Daily  Mail Online
    With you 100% Free public transport is inevitable 
  • Options
    Improve public transport.  There needs to be a culture change where the idea that public transport is a business with a primary aim of making profit rather than a public service with a primary aim of making our communities work is seen for the pernicious nonsense it is.

Certain services - power, water, transport - should not lie in the private domain.  If there were decent public transport hundreds of thousands if not millions would ditch their cars with the insane expense that goes with owning one.

Unfortunately in real life there is no such thing as free public services. They have to be paid for.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Unfortunately in real life there is no such thing as free public services. They have to be paid for.

I'm assuming that he means free at the point of use.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Wheresmeticket? said:  

Crusty54 said:

I'm assuming he means it ultimately has to be paid for by someone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

London's Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) for vehicles is to be expanded to cover all of London, the mayor has announced.

From 29 August, drivers of the most polluting cars will have to pay £12.50 a day to enter to the Greater London Authority boundary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63754724

• Options
    If the Greater London Authority boundary map on their website there are houses at the top of Station Road, Crayford where the houses are in Kent, but the road in front of their houses is in London - bet they are chuffed to bits with this

This means no more dog walks at Hall Place for us, as our Land Rover isn’t compliant 
  • Options
    TFL already had this issue with the Congestion zone, i.e. road's outside the zone where the only exit is into the zone. Eventually they just incorporated all those roads into the zone so the residents could access the cheaper rate. I imagine it will be exactly the same for ULEZ, except it shouldn't take so long to rectify this time around
  • Options
    So much for the Bexley / Bromley protests then.
  • Options
    TFL already had this issue with the Congestion zone, i.e. road's outside the zone where the only exit is into the zone. Eventually they just incorporated all those roads into the zone so the residents could access the cheaper rate. I imagine it will be exactly the same for ULEZ, except it shouldn't take so long to rectify this time around
    But those were roads already in GLA boundary - they can’t put ULEZ in Kent, as it’s not within their remit / control
  • Options
    Khan doing his best not to get re-elected! :)
  • Options
    Khan doing his best not to get re-elected! :)
    He's been doing it for years. 
  • Options
    Kerching!
  • Options
    This is more controversial as it creates an artificial boundary between London and the Home Counties, and people in say Dartford and Swanley won't benefit from any scrappage scheme.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We bought a Diesel Qashqai 4 years ago because the government said we should which is still a fab car, really reliable and exactly what we need and love but thanks to that prick, I’m now going to have to find £10k in the next 7 months to buy an equivalent car that does the same bloody thing and try to flog mine somehow for peanuts. Not happy. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    We bought a Diesel Qashqai 4 years ago because the government said we should which is still a fab car, really reliable and exactly what we need and love but thanks to that prick, I’m now going to have to find £10k in the next 7 months to buy an equivalent car that does the same bloody thing and try to flog mine somehow for peanuts. Not happy. 
    Probably an obvious question but have you done the checker on the ULEZ website? We have  65 plate skoda diesel which is compliant for the ULEZ
  • Options
    This only applies to diesel cars older than 2015.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Lower duty for diesel (and therefore govt preference) ended more than 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Are there any of the boroughs that cross the m25 and if so how does that work?
  • Options
    Are there any of the boroughs that cross the m25 and if so how does that work?
    Havering crosses the M25.
  • Options
    But those were roads already in GLA boundary - they can’t put ULEZ in Kent, as it’s not within their remit / control
    They don't have to. They just arrange to charge those residents as if they were on the ULEZ rather than external residents travelling into the zone
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Probably an obvious question but have you done the checker on the ULEZ website? We have  65 plate skoda diesel which is compliant for the ULEZ
    Yes, I have. It’s non-compliant sadly.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    This only applies to diesel cars older than 2015.
    I have a 64 plate diesel Mercedes. I checked last year when the ULEZ came in & its compliant.