Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Extension of ULEZ to South Circular

Comments

• Options

fadgadget said:

This has been kept pretty quiet considering the major impact on a lot of people. I suppose that’s why !
    Many small businesses eg Market Traders, builders will struggle because of this. Some I know have 4/5 year old vans which will need to be sold. Many can’t afford the 30k needed for a brand new van.
    Still, as long as Khan can attract votes from the cycling hipsters.

It's more than cycling hipsters who can concerned about air quality to be fair. Most residents in London want cleaner air as well, it can't be right that children are breathing in NOx and particulate matter, mainly from diesels.
    Absolutely , but surely just hitting everyone with this is not right , they need to start offering some sort of concessions or alternative for people to give up their vehicles , what with the appalling trains and buses pushing thousands of people on them is going to make a bad service even worse, there are a lot of people who are struggling to survive on the wages they earn now , how is this going to help , in the long term im sure it will make London a no go area for many business , would you pay £12.50 to drive into Woolwich just to shop ?

Anyway , as you said "it cant be right "
    You don't have to give up your vehicle, just replace it with a newer one that's compliant (a Euro VI diesel). Or a petrol one. Euro VI came in in 2014, so by 2021 there should be decent numbers of 5/6 year old secondhand vans out there.

Woolwich town centre is outside the zone anyway
    Not everyone can afford to replace a vehicle and the vehicle you're replacing it with may need replacing once the next set of regs come in. Vehicles shouldn't have a 5 or 6 year life span - that's completely nonsensical.
    Euro VI is the current standard, at the moment there's no further level to go up to

And the older vans can still be used, just not inside Central London. If you work in Chatham or Maidstone and only come up to London twice a year, you'd keep your older van and just pay the £12:50.
    If you live in the zone or travel into it regularly it will be a big problem. Nobody knows what the long term plans are including the politicians who keep moving the goalposts.

Relatively new diesels will be affected by this and it shouldn't be the case that such a new vehicle is rendered obsolete so quickly. The onus needs to be on manufacturers and regulators and not on passing the buck to car drivers.

Diesel was once seen as the 'green' option by our clueless regulators. Manufacturers seem to get off lightly.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

This has been kept pretty quiet considering the major impact on a lot of people. I suppose that’s why !
    Many small businesses eg Market Traders, builders will struggle because of this. Some I know have 4/5 year old vans which will need to be sold. Many can’t afford the 30k needed for a brand new van.
    Still, as long as Khan can attract votes from the cycling hipsters.

It's more than cycling hipsters who can concerned about air quality to be fair. Most residents in London want cleaner air as well, it can't be right that children are breathing in NOx and particulate matter, mainly from diesels.
    Absolutely , but surely just hitting everyone with this is not right , they need to start offering some sort of concessions or alternative for people to give up their vehicles , what with the appalling trains and buses pushing thousands of people on them is going to make a bad service even worse, there are a lot of people who are struggling to survive on the wages they earn now , how is this going to help , in the long term im sure it will make London a no go area for many business , would you pay £12.50 to drive into Woolwich just to shop ?

Anyway , as you said "it cant be right "
    You don't have to give up your vehicle, just replace it with a newer one that's compliant (a Euro VI diesel). Or a petrol one. Euro VI came in in 2014, so by 2021 there should be decent numbers of 5/6 year old secondhand vans out there.

Woolwich town centre is outside the zone anyway
    Of course ! why didn't I think of that ? im sure by then I could have saved enough , not by 2021 , Woolwich will be within the Zone .
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-boundary-map-from-25-october-2021.pdf
    The South Circular runs down John Wilson Street to the ferry. The town centre is outside the proposed zone.
  • Options

I don't understand this. Are we saying I will be charged for driving a diesel car to Charlton?

So after paying £1.50 to print your match ticket off at home you will then be charged to drive to The Valley to watch the game!!

Deep breaths Covered End, deep breaths :smiley:
    Dont forget the 11 chips tax.
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing this out

Just checked on the train line and can get the train from Strood to Charlton for £13.90 return so think I'll be doing that when this comes into force

Shame because I tend to like combining a trip to Charlton with going to see my parents in Bexleyheath before each game
  • Options

Just checked on the train line and can get the train from Strood to Charlton for £13.90 return so think I'll be doing that when this comes into force

Shame because I tend to like combining a trip to Charlton with going to see my parents in Bexleyheath before each game

If by then you don't have a car that passes the new emissions standards you can just pay the daily charge. Which at £12.50 would still be cheaper than that train return.
  • Options

Drive to somewhere outside the zone then walk or take the bus in?

It's 3 years away so you may have changed your car anyway or the Aussie owners will have moved us into a new stadium in Thamesmead
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

At least TFL are giving us options .

Your options
    You have the following options:
    Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public transport. Plan your journey
    Upgrade your vehicle to meet the required ULEZ standards
    Pay the daily charge
    If you are a car driver you can join a car club and rent a vehicle that is not subject to the ULEZ. Find out about Car Clubs
    You may be eligible for an exemption or discount. These are detailed further down this page
    Fitting emissions reduction technology. Find out more about vehicle retrofitting in the Complying with ULEZ page

Brilliant advice......Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public trabsport"....

I once got off a driving ban (under the totting up process) by the fact I need my car for my job & my family would suffer "undue hardship" if I was deprived of my car for 6 months.

Seems like the judicary have a better handle than the Mayor of London as to what is important to working families.

btw.....just checked with the online dodah & my car is fine.....but thats not the point.
  • Options
    Are they wasting 750m on cycle lanes too ? Or £8m on a consultation on ballsing up the equivalent ofOxford Street ?
    The only mayor to successfully deal with major city pollution was Bloomberg in NY. He realised that it isn’t just vehicle emissions causing it. Over here, the motorist is demonised and used as a cash cow.
  • Options

If by then you don't have a car that passes the new emissions standards you can just pay the daily charge. Which at £12.50 would still be cheaper than that train return.
    Wont get a new car to pass the new emissions standards as wont be able to afford it

£13.90 is the return train fare so only £1.40 more than the daily charge which my fuel will most likely be more than
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Drive to somewhere outside the zone then walk or take the bus in?

It's 3 years away so you may have changed your car anyway or the Aussie owners will have moved us into a new stadium in Thamesmead
    Ah cheers, thought it came into effect from April 2019 not October 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They've got this all wrong.

So checked my cars, my 3 are subject to the charge, the wife's isn't nor is daughters. Don't they realise at the speed they drive their cars may be less polluting but they'd take at least 3 times as long to get through the zone so unless theirs are 3 times less polluting than any of mine it's actually worse.

Man maths, right every time.

Bu44er me, i can't even drive to the local chinese which is in the zone....... or Charlton!
  • Options

Wont get a new car to pass the new emissions standards as wont be able to afford it

£13.90 is the return train fare so only £1.40 more than the daily charge which my fuel will most likely be more than
    Yeah I get that. Was just pointing out the difference is negligible as you said you combine trips to Charlton with visits to your folks
  • Options
    Hmm, my diesel car which I bought solely because the government were promoting diesel, will be subject to the charge.
  • Options

Hmm, my diesel car which I bought solely because the government were promoting diesel, will be subject to the charge.

Snap, and mine cost £80,000.
  • Options
    Is exactly why I wont bother replacing my car

Give it a few years and Diesel cars will probably be the ones they push everyone to buy again
  • Options
    So, the wonderful Mayor has announced that he intends to expand the ULEZ zone to cover ALL London boroughs! 
    You get what you vote for !
  • Options
    Good. Central London is so much nicer now and you can actually get around it by bus 
  • Options
    Madness.

• Options
    Madness.

That it's taken this long, I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TfL is broke and needs the money quickly, but 2023 does seem too short notice. The extension to the north and south circulars was announced several years in advance
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Good. Central London is so much nicer now and you can actually get around it by bus 
    Yep agreed, though the cycle highways have absolutely fucked it for buses in zones 2&3 though. 
  • Options
    One does hope the mayors gas guzzling range rover is compliant.
  • Options
    Only reason this has been introduced is to plug the financial hole that TFL are in. Fuck all to do with environmental concerns.

Thankfully all our cars are compliant, including my classic which is exempt.
    Well given TFLs budget is something like £10 billion, the forecast for ULEZ revenue was £100m and given that figure is expected to fall each year as more people become compliant I'd argue it isn't only to do with generating money, however clearly TFL does need to find more ways to fund itself so that's not exactly a bad thing especially if it's going to lead to cleaner air. I can't see what the issue is.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Only reason this has been introduced is to plug the financial hole that TFL are in. Fuck all to do with environmental concerns.

Thankfully all our cars are compliant, including my classic which is exempt.
    Well given TFLs budget is something like £10 billion, the forecast for ULEZ revenue was £100m and given that figure is expected to fall each year as more people become compliant I'd argue it isn't only to do with generating money, however clearly TFL does need to find more ways to fund itself so that's not exactly a bad thing especially if it's going to lead to cleaner air. I can't see what the issue is.
    You say more and more people will become compliant but I still won't put it past them to keep changing the rules so if your car is fine now, I bet it wont in X number of years... Money goes into both the Government, and the car industry... Its a win/win for anyone bar the people who need to drive. 
  • Options
    I haven’t been on a bus since they stopped taking cash. I am sure I am not the only occasional user who hasn’t used one in years purely for the no cash taken system. Maybe reintroduce it, and see if that helps
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    cafckev said:
    I haven’t been on a bus since they stopped taking cash. I am sure I am not the only occasional user who hasn’t used one in years purely for the no cash taken system. Maybe reintroduce it, and see if that helps
    You don't use credit or debit cards?
    Did you stop going to Charlton as well when they went cashless?