Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Extension of ULEZ to South Circular

Comments

• Options
    Daily charge for ULEZ will be £12.50 a day for cars and vans, £100 a day for HGV's

and that's on top of the congestion charge if you're going that far in.
  • Options
    £12.50 To ride my motorbike to work ,
  • Options

fuck me. I didn't know about any of this. I can't seem to view the link that was posted but are you saying there will be a congestion charge inside the South Circular ?? Most of my clients live S/E London & Kent borders and I'm up & down the A2, A20 & A205 every week. Currently I drive a 65 plate diesel......so thats me fucked then.

think I'll emigrate......or move to the coast (which amounts to the same thing I suppose)

It is not a congestion charge, but an emissions charge, you only have to pay if your car exceeds the regulations. Easy to check at this site.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez
  • Options
    This has been kept pretty quiet considering the major impact on a lot of people. I suppose that’s why !
    Many small businesses eg Market Traders, builders will struggle because of this. Some I know have 4/5 year old vans which will need to be sold. Many can’t afford the 30k needed for a brand new van.
    Still, as long as Khan can attract votes from the cycling hipsters.
  • Options

This has been kept pretty quiet considering the major impact on a lot of people. I suppose that’s why !
    Many small businesses eg Market Traders, builders will struggle because of this. Some I know have 4/5 year old vans which will need to be sold. Many can’t afford the 30k needed for a brand new van.

A lot of perfectly serviceable diesels will have to be taken off the road and I'm unclear how people are going to have the funds to replace them. Manufacturers are still busy churning out diesel vans which will be rendered obsolete every few years as emissions standards are updated - I don't see the green argument for giving vehicles such a short lifespan.

Unless manufacturers and politicians work together and keep the public informed this will just shaft a lot of people unfairly. If a diesel vehicle is your only option you're f***ed if you need to enter the ULEZ and your vehicle doesn't meet the latest standard.

Khan and his transport advisers haven't thought through the impact....
  • Options

Powerful man is Khan, he's obviously also influenced Italy, Germany, China, Spain, Greece, France and others, all to win some votes.
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Powerful man is Khan, he's obviously also influenced Italy, Germany, China, Spain, Greece, France and others, all to win some votes.
    Not really clear what they've got to do with an emissions zone in London?
  • Options
    This is not just DIESELS , it affects all Vehicles , I checked my motorbike reg and it came up as I will have to pay . Might just buy a black cab , they seem to be exempt to paying .
  • Options

Lurker said:

They're also doing similar schemes to stop the most polluting cars driving in their cities.
  • Options
    At least TFL are giving us options .

Your options
    You have the following options:
    Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public transport. Plan your journey
    Upgrade your vehicle to meet the required ULEZ standards
    Pay the daily charge
    If you are a car driver you can join a car club and rent a vehicle that is not subject to the ULEZ. Find out about Car Clubs
    You may be eligible for an exemption or discount. These are detailed further down this page
    Fitting emissions reduction technology. Find out more about vehicle retrofitting in the Complying with ULEZ page
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lurker said:

Lurker said:

They're also doing similar schemes to stop the most polluting cars driving in their cities.
    Yes but this thread is about London and the way the scheme is being implemented. I've heard Khan being interviewed about it and he hasn't thought through all the consequences - that's fine obviously if you're not affected.

There needs to be some long term planning between regulators and manufacturers so that the goalposts aren't constantly changing without warning.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

At least TFL are giving us options .

Your options
    You have the following options:
    Avoid driving by walking, cycling or using public transport. Plan your journey
    Upgrade your vehicle to meet the required ULEZ standards
    Pay the daily charge
    If you are a car driver you can join a car club and rent a vehicle that is not subject to the ULEZ. Find out about Car Clubs
    You may be eligible for an exemption or discount. These are detailed further down this page
    Fitting emissions reduction technology. Find out more about vehicle retrofitting in the Complying with ULEZ page

Best thing is to be rich and change your vehicle every couple of years.
  • Options
    Complete scam classed as 'pollution reduction'.

Black cabs of course exempt. Anyone tried breathing in the roads surrounding Victoria station in rush-hours?

It's 2018, they should all be fookin electric ffs.

The amount of small businesses that will go under because of all this is really frightening.

You're free to drive in London if you're rich enough. Otherwise scrap your cars and vans (even if you purchased from new a few years back) and buy new ones. Peasants.

People generally drive in London because they HAVE to. This is barely about pollution, it's about MONEY.
  • Options
    My 64 plate diesel came up ok through the link above
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

This is not just DIESELS , it affects all Vehicles , I checked my motorbike reg and it came up as I will have to pay . Might just buy a black cab , they seem to be exempt to paying .

How old is your motorbike? My 16 year old petrol car passes the emission tests.
  • Options

My 64 plate diesel came up ok through the link above

I'm assuming they'll move the goalposts again....
  • Options
    The projected cost of implementing this is between £80m to £110m, they have not yet said how much revenue is expected to be generated through the charges.
  • Options

fadgadget said:

How old is your motorbike? My 16 year old petrol car passes the emission tests.
    2006 , I would have thought TFL would have encourage people to switch to motorbikes /scooters with there congestion busting ability`s , less traffic sitting stationary with their engines running , oops im getting carried away ! I forgot it`s all about making money .
  • Options

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

Yes but this thread is about London and the way the scheme is being implemented. I've heard Khan being interviewed about it and he hasn't thought through all the consequences - that's fine obviously if you're not affected.

There needs to be some long term planning between regulators and manufacturers so that the goalposts aren't constantly changing without warning.
    I agree about the goal posts changing, when looking at new cars last year, the sales man was very keen to point out that new diesel engines are clean but I wouldn't touch a diesel car these days, too much bad press. I recently pretty much gave away a diesel which cost 5k 3 years ago because no one wants them.

However something has to be done, lived not far from the tunnel in Dartford and the house was filthy, god knows what it does to kids' lungs.
  • Options

It's more than cycling hipsters who can concerned about air quality to be fair. Most residents in London want cleaner air as well, it can't be right that children are breathing in NOx and particulate matter, mainly from diesels.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's more than cycling hipsters who can concerned about air quality to be fair. Most residents in London want cleaner air as well, it can't be right that children are breathing in NOx and particulate matter, mainly from diesels.
    It's an ill thought out scheme that will drive a lot of people who need vehicles off the road. The rich won't be affected and manufacturers will continue to be subsidised by governments.

It seems to have been forgotten the carbon footprint involved in manufacturing new vehicles if we're constantly scrapping old ones.

You can be assured there is no long term plan in place or any proper assessment of how this will affect small businesses.

Something needs to be done about pollution but you also need planning that is fit for purpose. The onus needs to be put on vehicle manufacturers not on taxing the general public.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Black cabs of course exempt. Anyone tried breathing in the roads surrounding Victoria station in rush-hours?

The amount of small businesses that will go under because of all this is really frightening.

You're free to drive in London if you're rich enough. Otherwise scrap your cars and vans (even if you purchased from new a few years back) and buy new ones. Peasants.

People generally drive in London because they HAVE to. This is barely about pollution, it's about MONEY.

All new cabs have to be zero emissions
  • Options

Absolutely , but surely just hitting everyone with this is not right , they need to start offering some sort of concessions or alternative for people to give up their vehicles , what with the appalling trains and buses pushing thousands of people on them is going to make a bad service even worse, there are a lot of people who are struggling to survive on the wages they earn now , how is this going to help , in the long term im sure it will make London a no go area for many business , would you pay £12.50 to drive into Woolwich just to shop ?

Anyway , as you said "it cant be right "
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

boggzy said:

All new cabs have to be zero emissions
    There is no such thing as zero emissions - take into account manufacturing of a vehicle, braking, emissions from electricity being generated etc. It's a fallacy....
  • Options
    I'm very lucky that my 2004 VW Polo will be exempt. I live just outside the south circular in Red Lion Lane.

Mind you drive over Shooters Hill and look towards Central London. The results of vehicle fumes are clearly visible.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

Absolutely , but surely just hitting everyone with this is not right , they need to start offering some sort of concessions or alternative for people to give up their vehicles , what with the appalling trains and buses pushing thousands of people on them is going to make a bad service even worse, there are a lot of people who are struggling to survive on the wages they earn now , how is this going to help , in the long term im sure it will make London a no go area for many business , would you pay £12.50 to drive into Woolwich just to shop ?

You don't have to give up your vehicle, just replace it with a newer one that's compliant (a Euro VI diesel). Or a petrol one. Euro VI came in in 2014, so by 2021 there should be decent numbers of 5/6 year old secondhand vans out there.

Woolwich town centre is outside the zone anyway
  • Options

fadgadget said:

You don't have to give up your vehicle, just replace it with a newer one that's compliant (a Euro VI diesel). Or a petrol one. Euro VI came in in 2014, so by 2021 there should be decent numbers of 5/6 year old secondhand vans out there.

Not everyone can afford to replace a vehicle and the vehicle you're replacing it with may need replacing once the next set of regs come in. Vehicles shouldn't have a 5 or 6 year life span - that's completely nonsensical.
  • Options
    Woolwich town centre is outside the South Circular, and does anyone actually shop there any more?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

fadgadget said:

Of course ! why didn't I think of that ? im sure by then I could have saved enough , not by 2021 , Woolwich will be within the Zone .
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-boundary-map-from-25-october-2021.pdf
  • Options

fadgadget said:

Not everyone can afford to replace a vehicle and the vehicle you're replacing it with may need replacing once the next set of regs come in. Vehicles shouldn't have a 5 or 6 year life span - that's completely nonsensical.
    Euro VI is the current standard, at the moment there's no further level to go up to

And the older vans can still be used, just not inside Central London. If you work in Chatham or Maidstone and only come up to London twice a year, you'd keep your older van and just pay the £12:50.