Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.
    I feel your pain. I have only ever been a member of Barnehurst - a 9 hole council run pay & play course that used to have monthly comps, usually on a Saturday or Sunday. As it's a 9 hole course you'd often find you'd be finishing the 9th & coming up to the 1st again (your 10th) to find 2 groups of non-members waiting to go off for their "weekend piss around" with their mates. Not great for your scorecard to find yourself waiting around whilst these lads would be taking all day to find lost balls/going back to the tee or putt out.

I am lucky to have played many courses around the UK via the 2-fore-1 scheme. Half priced golf (although not usually weekend mornings) & in Scotland and Wales this could mean Championship courses for less than £30. Also played some great courses by invites on Corporate events. Includes Moor Park, The Grove, Walton Heath & Royal St Georges. I think I'd only be a member of a course if I was retired & if it was just around the corner so I could just turn up & play whenever it suited. 
    I wont name the club,but it is local to me,and although most people there are ok,I just get the feeling that some members really dont want non-members playing.I had an instance last week,my group(3) was the first casual round following a vets competition.No problem,10 minute intervals,pace of play fine.There is a tea hut at the 11th hole,the group in front finished the hole and all sat down for a cuppa and roll,my group completed the hole ,walked past to play and were informed that we could not continue until the group in front played as they were in a competition.I politely told them that they could not hold up play like this,and went to tee off,whereby one guy parked his buggy in front of the tee,and waited for his mates to join him.I was going to make a complaint,but as that was probably my last round there ,not worth it.
    I'd have politely moved his cart for him and tee'd off
    Had it been a cart I may have done,but he was in a buggy,anyway,as someone else has already brought the subject of the new fees up on facebook,no harm in saying we are talking about Gilllingham Golf club.
    My apologies to Shooters Hill who have a fine tee hut after the 11th. 
  • No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.
    I feel your pain. I have only ever been a member of Barnehurst - a 9 hole council run pay & play course that used to have monthly comps, usually on a Saturday or Sunday. As it's a 9 hole course you'd often find you'd be finishing the 9th & coming up to the 1st again (your 10th) to find 2 groups of non-members waiting to go off for their "weekend piss around" with their mates. Not great for your scorecard to find yourself waiting around whilst these lads would be taking all day to find lost balls/going back to the tee or putt out.

I am lucky to have played many courses around the UK via the 2-fore-1 scheme. Half priced golf (although not usually weekend mornings) & in Scotland and Wales this could mean Championship courses for less than £30. Also played some great courses by invites on Corporate events. Includes Moor Park, The Grove, Walton Heath & Royal St Georges. I think I'd only be a member of a course if I was retired & if it was just around the corner so I could just turn up & play whenever it suited. 
    I wont name the club,but it is local to me,and although most people there are ok,I just get the feeling that some members really dont want non-members playing.I had an instance last week,my group(3) was the first casual round following a vets competition.No problem,10 minute intervals,pace of play fine.There is a tea hut at the 11th hole,the group in front finished the hole and all sat down for a cuppa and roll,my group completed the hole ,walked past to play and were informed that we could not continue until the group in front played as they were in a competition.I politely told them that they could not hold up play like this,and went to tee off,whereby one guy parked his buggy in front of the tee,and waited for his mates to join him.I was going to make a complaint,but as that was probably my last round there ,not worth it.
    Had it been a cart I may have done,but he was in a buggy,anyway,as someone else has already brought the subject of the new fees up on facebook,no harm in saying we are talking about Gilllingham Golf club.
    Buggy you say.
    I'm suprised it wasn't a caravan. 
  • ChiAddick said:
    I like Woldingham but it's a bit too forgiving. No punishment for shocking shots. People frequently playing on the wrong fairway etc...
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Fortunately only one of our group managed the fade of all fades to spoon one on to the next fairway. Other than that we kept ourselves to ourselves.

Can thoroughly recommend the club sandwich in the clubhouse.

It's always the w**ky little clubs and courses that have the most tossers. The Google reviews of Gillingham GC agree with you, sort it by rating and there are gems like “The course is OK and if you can put up with the golf Hitlers that run this club”. 
  • RedPanda said:
    No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.

It's always the w**ky little clubs and courses that have the most tossers. The Google reviews of Gillingham GC agree with you, sort it by rating and there are gems like “The course is OK and if you can put up with the golf Hitlers that run this club”. 
    I can see why such comments are made,I have played there on and off for some years,and must admit,the initial impression I get is that unless you have been a member for 50 years you are treated with suspicion.Once you are a little more known things do improve.
    I got a bollocking once because I was going to the bar in my wet suit,i hadnt even played,just getting a coffee prior to going out.

• Played Birchwood yesterday ....... bit warm but I thought the course was in really good nick.
  • RedPanda said:
    No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.

I can see why such comments are made,I have played there on and off for some years,and must admit,the initial impression I get is that unless you have been a member for 50 years you are treated with suspicion.Once you are a little more known things do improve.
    I got a bollocking once because I was going to the bar in my wet suit,i hadnt even played,just getting a coffee prior to going out.

Played there once, with a member, and that was bad enough.
    In my opinion, not the best track!
  • Played croham hurst yesterday £20 twighlight. Greens had been tinned recently but rolled really well. Good challenge, if you don’t hit straight you can lose a few balls!!. Very good course though. Definetly worth the money.
  • RedPanda said:

Did they ask you to remove your flippers?? Not unreasonable IMO 
  • edited June 2021

Just got back from 2 days / 3 rounds at Celtic Manor.

5 hour rounds
    Dinner stopped serving at 9.30pm on Sunday night
    Buggies kept to the cart path despite it being bone dry
    Shit breakfasts

• Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

5 hour rounds
    Shit breakfasts

Enjoyed it then!!😤
  • paulfox said:
    supaclive said:

5 hour rounds
    Shit breakfasts

Enjoyed it then!!😤
    Golf was fun.  Weather spectacular but it's overrated.
  • 90 today at littlestone Warren which is ok by standards but should have so much better if I'd putted half decently...
  • supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:

5 hour rounds
    Shit breakfasts

Enjoyed it then!!😤
    Golf was fun.  Weather spectacular but it's overrated.
    Absolutely agree. 
  • paulfox said:
    Played croham hurst yesterday £20 twighlight. Greens had been tinned recently but rolled really well. Good challenge, if you don’t hit straight you can lose a few balls!!. Very good course though. Definetly worth the money.
    Great course. Came across it around 5 years ago on my way back from seeing a client in Purley. Like you I played a twilight round & hardly anyone else on the course. Some hidden gems out there.
  • Got  a society at West Malling on friday,going to get drenched.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    RedPanda said:

Did they ask you to remove your flippers?? Not unreasonable IMO 
    No but they checked to see if the studs were non metallic.
  • paulfox said:
    Played croham hurst yesterday £20 twighlight. Greens had been tinned recently but rolled really well. Good challenge, if you don’t hit straight you can lose a few balls!!. Very good course though. Definetly worth the money.
    Great course. Came across it around 5 years ago on my way back from seeing a client in Purley. Like you I played a twilight round & hardly anyone else on the course. Some hidden gems out there.

supaclive said:
    paulfox said:
    supaclive said:

5 hour rounds
    Shit breakfasts
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    £20 was an absolute bargain, especially in the current climate where everywhere is charging stupid rates.
  • I know it's not the night for golf but Richard Bland going well in US open, bloody good luck to him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I know it's not the night for golf but Richard Bland going well in US open, bloody good luck to him. 
    Amazing what a win does for your confidence. He’s now operating at a higher level because he believes in himself more 
  • Although very unlikely what a story this would be, hope he plays well over the weekend, you never know a couple of seventies could do it. 
  • edited June 2021
    Although very unlikely what a story this would be, hope he plays well over the weekend, you never know a couple of seventies could do it. 
    I reckon he'll collapse over the next 2 days. Will finish in the top 10 but wont be in the mix come the back 9 on Sunday. 
  • Top 10 gets him back next year though and if you offered that before he went he would probably have taken it, even a massive cheque would be handy I would think, but your right odds on a high round but you never know. 
  • Fallen through the field like no-ones business. 6 over par 77. No birdies, even though there are 3 par 5's. Now joint 21st. 

Sad to see that I was right though. 
  • Think whatever happens in the last round,he will obviously be a bit pissed off,but what with his first ever win earlier in the year,he has achieved more than he expected just to be here.
  • Played Torrey Pines South Course 3 years ago. It’s a municipal course with a horrible clubhouse to match. It’s a beast of a course and would strongly advise most amateurs not to play it. 

I was off 7 at the time so the starter ordered me to play off the back tees for casual play (not the US Open tees but still over 7000 yards). If you nail a drive say 260/270 yards on most of the par 4s you’ve still got nearly 200 yards to go to a raised green surrounded by huge bunkers with fast greens. Carrying 200 yards is a wood for me every time so, even if I hit a good one, little chance of holding the green. And most of the holes are very similar so it’s boring in the extreme.

To top it all I’d offered to pay for my Californian mate who went with me as a favour as he doesn’t play that often. Including club hire it cost me the best part of $650 on a boring course where I scored in the mid 90s, not the best VFM I’ve ever had.
  • Think I’ll start another thread for professional golf, would be good to keep this one related to us hackers 
  • Played the 9 hole at Pedham yesterday, greens are not as good as Birchwood 9 but do have the advantage of proper tees as opposed to the mats at Birchwwood

• I was off 7 at the time so the starter ordered me to play off the back tees for casual play (not the US Open tees but still over 7000 yards). If you nail a drive say 260/270 yards on most of the par 4s you’ve still got nearly 200 yards to go to a raised green surrounded by huge bunkers with fast greens. Carrying 200 yards is a wood for me every time so, even if I hit a good one, little chance of holding the green. 
    See, as an 18 handicapper I'd be playing all those holes as 3 shotters, so my approach would be a wedge/sandwedge from inside of 100 yards and hoping for a 5, or at worse a 6. I've played like that ever since I took up the game at age 30 and at first my aim was to get round in under 100, and once I got better to get round in 90. My scrambling around the green was pretty good (better than most I'd say) but bunkers were my downfall.