Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• lolwray said:
    Played at Tudor park bearsted last Friday ..enjoyed it ..no 150 yard markers or course information available so didn't know where I was aiming and buggy broke down after 12 holes ..didn't play my best but I'd go back 

Back at littlestone Warren today 
    ...its gunna be damp
    Anyway..found the warren in v good nick ..greens very good..playing off 24 would have had 38 points...

Will play off 22 next time 
  • Interesting posts about clubs, it’s something I’ve never really thought too much about, though I know I’m probably limiting myself with what I have in my bag. 

I carry 10 clubs.

Driver (Basic Taylormade R11 I bought 2nd hand a couple of years ago)
    3 wood (Sports Direct Dunlop ladies club my wife bought incorrectly about 15 years ago)
    5-Pw (Nike Slingshot, had 10 years) 
    SW (Malibu Caleo?? A mate found dumped in car park about 15yrs ago)
    Putter

A rag tag assortment of dated, cheap end clubs! I’ve never had any regripped either. 

You get used to what you play with, and I doubt better clubs would improve me. but I definitely miss not having anything I can play post-tee shot longer than a 5 iron. 

• edited May 2021
     lolwray said:
    lolwray said:
    Played at Tudor park bearsted last Friday ..enjoyed it ..no 150 yard markers or course information available so didn't know where I was aiming and buggy broke down after 12 holes ..didn't play my best but I'd go back 

Back at littlestone Warren today 
    ...its gunna be damp
    Anyway..found the warren in v good nick ..greens very good..playing off 24 would have had 38 points...

Will play off 22 next time 
    I love Littlestone both courses 

I’m a member of what’s called ReadyGolf it gets us access to 20 courses across the southeast and growing all the time some of our courses we can play at the moment are 
    Littlestone Championship
    Littlestone Warren
    Redlebbits
    West Kent
    Broome Oark 
    Coudrey
    Limpsfield Chart
    Serfield oaks
    Warley Park 

Plus a few others and for £800 ish a year good value in my eyes as I get bored with playing same course all the time 

https://www.readygolf.co/
  • Interesting posts about clubs, it’s something I’ve never really thought too much about, though I know I’m probably limiting myself with what I have in my bag. 

I carry 10 clubs.

3 wood (Sports Direct Dunlop ladies club my wife bought incorrectly about 15 years ago)
    Putter

A rag tag assortment of dated, cheap end clubs! I’ve never had any regripped either. 

You get used to what you play with, and I doubt better clubs would improve me. but I definitely miss not having anything I can play post-tee shot longer than a 5 iron. 

Looking at that bag, I promise you, AFKA, that a matched set of new clubs would improve your game.

I carry 10 clubs.

Putter

@AFKABartram although my Titeliest irons are circa 30 years old, being the same set means that the weight, set up and balance are the same. My woods are a mix and match, but I obviously use my irons more often. I agree with @bobmunro that a matching set of irons (4 through to PW) should improve your game. 

I carry 10 clubs.

Putter

First up - get re-gripped on all your irons - makes a huge difference (having mine done this week at Dartford Golf Club - I’m not a member, but pro there is a good guy)

I have 2 sets of irons - ages old Ping Zings - and Cleveland Black Pearls - the Cleveland’s are custom fitted, and when I was decent, they were great - but when my golf went bad, I went back to the Zings, as they are more forgiving - I recommend custom fitting irons if you play regularly, they do improve your game

In my bag :-

Driver - Taylormade M4 - superb driver - put 20 yards on my length at least

3 Wood - Cobra

7 Wood - Callaway Steelhead - my favourite club

Irons - Ping Zing

Wedge - Cleveland

SW - Cleveland

Putter - Taylormade Ghost Spider

I have 3 other putters - Mizuno ‘dare to dream’ - Oddesey 2 ball - Zebra

Also in the shed a set of Ram irons, but rusty now

Just bought a new Honma golf bag (Japanese black and lime green - v cool), and for a laugh an old Ping persimmon driver (on EBay, only £25)
  • Whilst we’re doing “what’s in your bag” ....

driver -  Taylormade SIM
    3W -  Taylormade SDLR
    3hybrid  -  Taylormade Superfast Burner
    4hybrid  -  Nike Vapour 
    5i - PW. -  Adams blue/Ping G20s (alternate)
    SW  -  Ping G20
    56W  -  Cleveland 
    LW  -  Wilson D300
    Putter. -  Taylormade Est79 Pure roll
  • What’s the differences between PW / SW / 56W and a loft wedge? 
  • What’s the differences between PW / SW / 56W and a loft wedge? 
    Lofts.

Typical figures:

PW 45 degrees
    Gap 50 degrees 
    SW 56 degrees
    Lob 60 degrees

• Callaway XR driver
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2005) 4 Iron
    Orka RS10 5-PW 
    Callaway Big Bertha (2005) 10 Iron
    Callaway Big Bertha (2005) SW
    muzino putter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Callaway Mavrik Driver.  10.5 degree.  Stiff shaft
    Callway Epic 3 wood
    Callaway Epic 5 wood
    Titleist t100 irons 4-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy3 50 and 60 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokey 55 degree wedge
    Taylor Made Spider putter

Fitted for them all
    It DOES make a difference 
    7.1 whs
  • Came across this whilst having a bit of a sort out, only been worn a couple of times 
  • Anyone watching Mickelson, couple of pars now and he's nearly there. 
  • I'll take it back 😁
  • Cannot find the right thread but...

Although I have never warmed to Phil Mickleson ...

if he is the oldest Major winner then very pleased to see it . 

I played one today and knackered 

he has played 4 rounds in the wind at the very very highest level...

and just dropped into the water 🙄
  • Phil wobbling! Should still be ok though.
  • Dying to go a bed but can’t while he’s wobbling!

chatting with pals what we reckon we’d go round that course in. Apparently has a slope rating of 130 
  • 130 Off it’s ‘normal tees’
  • Same 

No idea about slope rating but I would be rather shite (off the reds) 

Hope he doesn’t blow it 

He won’t 👍
  • Great drive on 16 for PM. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Nearly 51 

amazing 👍👍
  • Enjoyed that 👍
  • Great achievement 
  • Isn’t he supposed to be a complete and utter knob 
  • Can't now warm to him after his antics in the 2018 US Open. If you have forgotten (and it was mentioned very briefly this evening by one of the commentators) he ran after his ball after a putt missed the hole & didnt wait for it to come to rest before taking his next putt (as it was likely to carry on its merry way off the green & into a bunker). Should have DQ'd himself after that - all that happened was he was given a 2 shot penalty. Instead he acted like a 5 year old on a crazy golf course at the seaside. No class.

• edited May 2021
    What’s in your bag post;

driver: Taylor made jet speed 
    3 wood; cobra baffler t-rail 
    4 hybrid: cobra f max 
    irons: mizuno jpx 900 hot metal 5-pw
    Wedges; 52,56,60 Titlist vokey sm4
    putter; odyssey white hot
  • As I backed koepka ( 33/1 ) and Fowler (125/1) bit of a disappointing end as the amount of players that were tied impacted my payout on Fowler, koepka just never got going - with others I find mickleson a bit of a prat. 
  • And what's with the thumbs up to everyone when he holes a bunker shot or a good putt. What's wrong with just a nod or a touch of your cap. Giving Justin Rose the thumbs up for holing a putt on the 17th in their singles match back in 2012 is one thing but to acknowledge spectators.....??? Methinks he wants to be seen as all hip & trendy. 
  • And what's with the thumbs up to everyone when he holes a bunker shot or a good putt. What's wrong with just a nod or a touch of your cap. Giving Justin Rose the thumbs up for holing a putt on the 17th in their singles match back in 2012 is one thing but to acknowledge spectators.....??? Methinks he wants to be seen as all hip & trendy. 

He's been doing that for 30 years! It's about who he is, not how he wants to be seen.
  • Isn’t he supposed to be a complete and utter knob 
    My guess is that he isn’t. Did you see the amount of players who stayed around to hug (not fist pump or high five) him on his way to the scorers hit?