Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Looking well Del.

Hows your golf been since the return?
  • edited April 2021
    delroofer said:
    Bumped into Jayden Stockley as he came off the 18th at my club, Manor of Groves this afternoon. I had a drink and a chat with Jayden and his brother and asked if he lived local to the golfclub in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire. It turns out that he lives in Woolwich and his brother near Kew Bridge so they looked at a map to find a course that was located somewhere between the two of them.
    He said how much he is enjoying it at Charlton at the moment, and how positive the new manager is, but he is very thankful for Bows for bringing him to the club. Looking forward to the last few games and is certain we can take the positivity into the playoffs.
    Great photo, by the way did they look at Dale Stephen's map of England? :smile:
  • delroofer said:
    Bumped into Jayden Stockley as he came off the 18th at my club, Manor of Groves this afternoon. I had a drink and a chat with Jayden and his brother and asked if he lived local to the golfclub in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire. It turns out that he lives in Woolwich and his brother near Kew Bridge so they looked at a map to find a course that was located somewhere between the two of them.
    He said how much he is enjoying it at Charlton at the moment, and how positive the new manager is, but he is very thankful for Bows for bringing him to the club. Looking forward to the last few games and is certain we can take the positivity into the playoffs.
    Great photo, by the way did they look at Dale Stephen's map of England? :smile:
    Quite.

Not a lot of golf courses between the 2 but certainly Richmond Park, Wimbledon or even Dulwich would have been nearer. 

Played Manor of Groves about 20 years ago......cant remember much apart from a lovely short par 3. 
  • You did well to recognise him 
    I thought that. Unless a player is very distinctive like Lyle Taylor, I don’t think I’d recognise a single player if they weren’t in their club gear
  • I’m playing Manor of Groves as a golf weekend in early September 😀
  • We're fine thanks Jean. Hope you and yours are good. Looking forward to when we can get back to POTY dinners again. Stay safe. 
  • edited April 2021
    Dizzle said:
    I’m playing Manor of Groves as a golf weekend in early September 😀
    It's a testing course and you need to plot your way around, particularly the front 9. The back 9 is more open and you can be a bit more aggressive. The 18th is over 600 yards and can be tough after a long round. The course is in good condition atm but we could do with some rain in the next couple of weeks. Enjoy your weekend.
    I thought that. Unless a player is very distinctive like Lyle Taylor, I don’t think I’d recognise a single player if they weren’t in their club gear
    same here - I could've played 9 holes with Stockley and not recognised him
  • Sponsored links:

• Played West Malling earlier. Hurricane course. Shortened course as they're doing some work. Not a bad one. Very forgiving and definitely one that gives you your confidence back.
  • Was at Redlibbets today. Wasn't near shooting my handicap. @Taxi_Lad do you know why they switched the 9s? I don't think the finish is as good now.
  • RedPanda said:
    Was at Redlibbets today. Wasn't near shooting my handicap. @Taxi_Lad do you know why they switched the 9s? I don't think the finish is as good now.
    I agree. The cons far outweigh the pros. The new back 9 is an easier walk but that’s about it. A major faux pas in my view as people walk off the 18th now straight into the car park and go home instead of passing the bar and being inclined to pop in for a beer/eats. 
    I was also there this morning. Teed off just before 8am. Scored well despite some iffy ball striking. Course is still a bit of a mess IMO. Dry as a bone, greens struggling to recover from the spiking. Local rules currently allow preferred lies on the fairway due to the number of bare patches. 
  • Course are desperate for some rain. Think since reopening we’ve only had about 20 mins rain, and that coincided with me eating lunch outside! 
  • Played West Malling earlier. Hurricane course. Shortened course as they're doing some work. Not a bad one. Very forgiving and definitely one that gives you your confidence back.
    Was a member there for years before moving up t'north. 

I prefer the Spitfire course - trickier and more visually appealing than the Hurricane.

• Ten years ago today we lost a legend of the game.

RIP Seve
  • edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Ten years ago today we lost a legend of the game.

RIP Seve
    Thought you were going to say about @AFKABartram falling down the hole when taking his shot. Now where is that video?
  • wow 10 years ago!, my favourite ever player
  • wow 10 years ago!, my favourite ever player
    Mine too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve been quite a lot like Seve lately, getting in to a lot of sticky situations. However not quite so good at getting out of them!! 🤣. What a genius he was. Not many characters like him in the game anymore.
  • Playing Hever Castle this Friday. First time. Have heard it's a fantastic course.

Any insights?
  • Playing Hever Castle this Friday. First time. Have heard it's a fantastic course.

Any insights?
    Nice course. Scenic.  Some long uphill holes that can be a bit of a drag.  Last time I played it the greens were bone hard but that was three or four  years ago so may be better. 

Any insights?
    Nice course. Scenic.  Some long uphill holes that can be a bit of a drag.  Last time I played it the greens were bone hard but that was three or four  years ago so may be better. 
    Thanks. Sounds like a buggy day, then  :)

Any insights?
    Opposite for me. I played in early November & it was wet. Nice course but then I wasnt paying as it was a Corporate day. 

Any insights?
    Great course if your play the Championship (Kings & Queens) when you get to the 17th you've still got over 1000 yds to go a Buggy is a good idea, the Princes is a tricky 9 with a fair bit of water ! Have fun its a nice course
  • Had my first outing of this post lockdown at Littlestone Championship course yesterday wonderful day weather wise pleased'ish with my 93, struggling with my putting lately and to play on the carpet greens there helped a bit but both the par 5's on the front 9 3 putted for par's 
  • magic1999 said:
    Playing Hever Castle this Friday. First time. Have heard it's a fantastic course.

Any insights?
    Great course if your play the Championship (Kings & Queens) when you get to the 17th you've still got over 1000 yds to go a Buggy is a good idea, the Princes is a tricky 9 with a fair bit of water ! Have fun its a nice course
    Could only get a double up on the Princes course so will be booking the Championship one in due course.

Water you say? Joy. My ball turns in to one of these whenever water is about.....

• Just wondered if anyone watched the final round of the Wells Fargo last night & if so what would you have done in Rory's position...?  Gone for the hack out to the right ?  Or up to the left towards the spectators..?  Or take a drop like he eventually did ?  And if so would you have been happy playing that shot with the ball that far below your feet ?
  • Just wondered if anyone watched the final round of the Wells Fargo last night & if so what would you have done in Rory's position...?  Gone for the hack out to the right ?  Or up to the left towards the spectators..?  Or take a drop like he eventually did ?  And if so would you have been happy playing that shot with the ball that far below your feet ?
    I said to the missus (she wasn't listening), that the natural shot would have been to play to where the spectators were but was hampered by the whacking great hospitality suites (or stand) and the spectators themselves.