Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Just wondered if anyone watched the final round of the Wells Fargo last night & if so what would you have done in Rory's position...?  Gone for the hack out to the right ?  Or up to the left towards the spectators..?  Or take a drop like he eventually did ?  And if so would you have been happy playing that shot with the ball that far below your feet ?
    I would like to think I would have done what Rory did but I would have to have been confident that I could have hit an 8 iron 180 yards from two feet below me onto the green. Guess that’s what separates the men from the boys. His caddy is due his 10% as left to his own devices I’m not sure Rory wouldn’t have just tried to hack it out of the rough. 
  • Right choice but that's becsuse Rory can.hit THAT shot, I'd have been hitting hybrid, so would have hacked it left with wedge. Luckily I doubt any fans would be watching my golf.

It was a terrible tee shot by Rory but he still got the job done.   
  • I probably would have attempted to hack it over the stream onto the fairway and lost a ball. Even with his drop it was a great shot his first putt was a little nervy though considering how he had been putting most of the previous rounds
  • I’d have gone for a wedge back into the fairway then probably regretted it 
  • Back to golf.  NOT a fan of the new WHS.  Have played 4 comps since lockdown (Par 70) - All Medal Comps - Net 74, 70, 66, 77.  In old money would have been cut 0.8 across the 4 comps and would be around 6.2 - lowest ever, instead four rounds from last June have fallen out - Net 68, 69, 69, 72 - three of them counting in my best eight of twenty and instead I've actually gone up 0.1 on my WHS!

WHS forgets we've had 3 months of a poxy lockdown and gives no leeway.

Meh!
  • I don’t understand it, all to complicated for me
  • supaclive said:
    Back to golf.  NOT a fan of the new WHS.  Have played 4 comps since lockdown (Par 70) - All Medal Comps - Net 74, 70, 66, 77.  In old money would have been cut 0.8 across the 4 comps and would be around 6.2 - lowest ever, instead four rounds from last June have fallen out - Net 68, 69, 69, 72 - three of them counting in my best eight of twenty and instead I've actually gone up 0.1 on my WHS!

Meh!
    It all seems a bit flaky.  not sure I see the benefit of the new system. 
    Between my friends I keep a social hcp whereby if you play to your hcp you stay the same, better it get cut 0.3 or fail to play to your hcp get 0.1 back. And we play our friendly fourballs to these hcps. Seems to work well as it takes into account your current form 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    supaclive said:
    Back to golf.  NOT a fan of the new WHS.  Have played 4 comps since lockdown (Par 70) - All Medal Comps - Net 74, 70, 66, 77.  In old money would have been cut 0.8 across the 4 comps and would be around 6.2 - lowest ever, instead four rounds from last June have fallen out - Net 68, 69, 69, 72 - three of them counting in my best eight of twenty and instead I've actually gone up 0.1 on my WHS!

Meh!
    It all seems a bit flaky.  not sure I see the benefit of the new system. 
    Between my friends I keep a social hcp whereby if you play to your hcp you stay the same, better it get cut 0.3 or fail to play to your hcp get 0.1 back. And we play our friendly fourballs to these hcps. Seems to work well as it takes into account your current form 
    So in your format if you are playing off 16.6 (rounded to 17) you’ve got to have 10 consecutive over handicap rounds to move up to 18 (17.6)? 
  • yep that’s right. But we play twice a week so plenty of movement. I’ve dropped from 17.6 to 15.8 in the past few weeks. 
    My society only meet 4 times a year so we do it differently. If you score 32-36 pts you remain the same, under 32 pts you get one shot back but you get cut a shot for each point over 36 including scrubs
    e.g.  if I score 40pts and didn’t score on 2 holes I would get cut 6 shots. If I happened to win then there’s an additional 2 shots to come off. This prevents serial winners
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    yep that’s right. But we play twice a week so plenty of movement. I’ve dropped from 17.6 to 15.8 in the past few weeks. 
    My society only meet 4 times a year so we do it differently. If you score 32-36 pts you remain the same, under 32 pts you get one shot back but you get cut a shot for each point over 36 including scrubs
    e.g.  if I score 40pts and didn’t score on 2 holes I would get cut 6 shots. If I happened to win then there’s an additional 2 shots to come off. This prevents serial winners
    Very similar to a society I belonged to for many years when living in Kent. One year, of the six events we had I won three and was runner-up in two of the others. They had the cheek to call me a bandit!

I never got a sniff of a win in any of the following years!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Playing Hever Castle this Friday. First time. Have heard it's a fantastic course.

Any insights?
    You playing 18 on the main course or a combo of the 9 hole and the 18?
    love that course.
    Their 9 hole has a great par 3 mostly water between you and the green and then water behind it.
  • CafcSCP said:
    Playing Hever Castle this Friday. First time. Have heard it's a fantastic course.

Any insights?
    You playing 18 on the main course or a combo of the 9 hole and the 18?
    love that course.
    Their 9 hole has a great par 3 mostly water between you and the green and then water behind it.
    I believe we're doubling up on the Princes course. Not fully sure as it was booked by a West Ham fan (everything is their fault) and he's not the most communicative at the best of times.
  • Been told Conor Washington has joined Bexleyheath & plays off 6.2. Any members there  confirm ?  And does he know it's only 9 holes. 

• Well my run of rounds shooting under my hcp came to an abrupt end today at Redlibbets. I was cruising along on the front 9 and turned in 41 ..........
    then six consecutive doubles followed by three bogeys to return in 51. Fucking game!!!
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Well my run of rounds shooting under my hcp came to an abrupt end today at Redlibbets. I was cruising along on the front 9 and turned in 41 ..........
    then six consecutive doubles followed by three bogeys to return in 51. Fucking game!!!
    But you’ll be back out next week!! Lol, has redlibbetts improved with the rain, it was a bit ropey a few weeks ago when we had our society there.?
  • paulfox said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well my run of rounds shooting under my hcp came to an abrupt end today at Redlibbets. I was cruising along on the front 9 and turned in 41 ..........
    But you’ll be back out next week!! Lol, has redlibbetts improved with the rain, it was a bit ropey a few weeks ago when we had our society there.?
    @Taxi_Lad I know that feeling very well that looks like one of my scorecards 
  • paulfox said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Yea thank gawd. Greens were very good. Need more rain just not whilst I’m playing 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    paulfox said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Yea thank gawd. Greens were very good. Need more rain just not whilst I’m playing 
    Good, they were very dry and bumpy when we played. Although the winner didn’t mind with his 49pts!!!!🤪😤
  • Been told Conor Washington has joined Bexleyheath & plays off 6.2. Any members there  confirm ?  And does he know it's only 9 holes. 

Yes, saw he’d joined. He’ll be one of the lowest handicappers there playing off 6. 

Yes, saw he’d joined. He’ll be one of the lowest handicappers there playing off 6. 
     Odd choice imo.......in fact, very odd choice, especially as its a 9-holer. I can't see why any lower handicap player would choose to play there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    Been told Conor Washington has joined Bexleyheath & plays off 6.2. Any members there  confirm ?  And does he know it's only 9 holes. 

Odd choice imo.......in fact, very odd choice, especially as its a 9-holer. I can't see why any lower handicap player would choose to play there. 
    Probably an issue of waiting lists. almost all local clubs now have one. Dartford only admitting midweek members at the moment. Sidcup has a waiting list of 60!!!   Hard to believe but true. 

Probably an issue of waiting lists. almost all local clubs now have one. Dartford only admitting midweek members at the moment. Sidcup has a waiting list of 60!!!   Hard to believe but true. 
    I spoke to Rochester and cobham, the said they’ve upped the joining fee and have 160 waiting list.... I said I’d hold off!!🤣
  • Played at Tudor park bearsted last Friday ..enjoyed it ..no 150 yard markers or course information available so didn't know where I was aiming and buggy broke down after 12 holes ..didn't play my best but I'd go back 

Back at littlestone Warren today 
    ...its gunna be damp

looks a pretty reasonably priced club
  • paulfox said:
    Been told Conor Washington has joined Bexleyheath & plays off 6.2. Any members there  confirm ?  And does he know it's only 9 holes. 

I spoke to Rochester and cobham, the said they’ve upped the joining fee and have 160 waiting list.... I said I’d hold off!!🤣
    The GM at Rochester &Cobham is a mate of mine. It’s always been a popular club but he can’t get his head around the current demand. Good golf course but middle of nowhere so not exactly set up for a vibrant social life. I always prided myself on being a member at a club that I could walk to and stagger back from. 
  • paulfox said:

The GM at Rochester &Cobham is a mate of mine. It’s always been a popular club but he can’t get his head around the current demand. Good golf course but middle of nowhere so not exactly set up for a vibrant social life. I always prided myself on being a member at a club that I could walk to and stagger back from. 
    Lol!! Fair enough, I did enjoy it when I played there. I’ve never committed to a golf membership but play a lot wherever I can. However getting a sensible price round on a good course is a bit challenging at the moment!!.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Lol!! Fair enough, I did enjoy it when I played there. I’ve never committed to a golf membership but play a lot wherever I can. However getting a sensible price round on a good course is a bit challenging at the moment!!.

It might well be, but its only 9 holes and a few holes criss-cross each other.  In the area probably only Barnehurst (now defunct) and Thamesmead are worse. Given the choice (and I'd rather not) I'd look at Cray, Ruxley, Birchwood, Dartford or Pedham in the immediate vicinity. Going further afield then there are 2 courses in Gravesend (3 if you include Rochester & Cobham) and then a few around Sevenoaks & Biggin Hill. I could probably name 2 dozen courses within a 20 min drive of Bexleyheath that I'd rather play regularly as a member.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Thats why I love Scottish courses & the good old honesty box  !
  • Well I won’t be signing you in...
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

It might well be, but its only 9 holes and a few holes criss-cross each other.  In the area probably only Barnehurst (now defunct) and Thamesmead are worse. Given the choice (and I'd rather not) I'd look at Cray, Ruxley, Birchwood, Dartford or Pedham in the immediate vicinity. Going further afield then there are 2 courses in Gravesend (3 if you include Rochester & Cobham) and then a few around Sevenoaks & Biggin Hill. I could probably name 2 dozen courses within a 20 min drive of Bexleyheath that I'd rather play regularly as a member.
    played them all....but I can literally walk to B'Heath in under 10 mins!