Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• supaclive said:
    My first game tomorrrow since lockdown ended.  Longest I've gone without playing.  Not expecting good things!
    3 under par it is then 
    Since the WHS came in I am now officially 6.7.
    I will be happy with 85 in my first game back.

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    My first game tomorrrow since lockdown ended.  Longest I've gone without playing.  Not expecting good things!
    3 under par it is then 
    Since the WHS came in I am now officially 6.7.
    I will be happy with 85 in my first game back.

I went from 7.2 to 6.8 without picking up a club in 18 months. Guess it was the average of the last 29 rounds I played.  Might as well frame the handicap certificate as I won’t be playing for a while!
  • Silvermere down near Cobham was in fantastic nick last Friday, with a really honest price for the round too. 17/18th hole are really good there. Played Darenth on Thursday too, also in nice condition
    Is Silvermere the one with water on the last couple of holes ?? I remember playing a Corporate event there about 10 years ago. Lovely course with plenty of trees......and water !   Not far from Chelsea's training ground iirc.
  • Is Silvermere the one with water on the last couple of holes ?? I remember playing a Corporate event there about 10 years ago. Lovely course with plenty of trees......and water !   Not far from Chelsea's training ground iirc.
    Yeah, that's the one. 17th is a 150yd Par 3 with c130 of that being water. Clubhouse sits on the lake and makes a nice viewing gallery to witness a lot of amateur golfer misery. Really recommend the course, we paid £40 on Good Friday while somewhere like Westerham was £60+
  • Is Silvermere the one with water on the last couple of holes ?? I remember playing a Corporate event there about 10 years ago. Lovely course with plenty of trees......and water !   Not far from Chelsea's training ground iirc.
    Yeah, that's the one. 17th is a 150yd Par 3 with c130 of that being water. Clubhouse sits on the lake and makes a nice viewing gallery to witness a lot of amateur golfer misery. Really recommend the course, we paid £40 on Good Friday while somewhere like Westerham was £60+
    Love the 17th and 18th at Silvermere. Great holes to play when out with a bunch of mates!
  • 4th game since Redlibbets reopened. Finally got my new driver working, especially with a fade swing. Some of my longest drives. 87 Best score of the the year but should have been lower after taking 4 shots to get down from 50 yards on the 16th then double bogeying the par 3 17th
  • I’ve had 2 rounds at Redlibbets Tuesday last week and Wednesday this week course in great condition yes greens still recovering from treatment started with a 96 and Wednesday dot a 92 front 9 was a disaster 51 and a 41 on the home 9 disaster due to a 3 ball sharing a buggy and who were not very good eventually got past them on the 7th then improved so much as we did not have to wait at the tee for 5-10 mins 
    1 birdie 
    8 bogeys
    10 pars

• supaclive said:
    1 birdie 
    8 bogeys
    10 pars

Different ways of scoring 77 which I also hit today:

1 birdie
    12 pars
    1 bogey
    4 doubles

need to work on my recovery when in trouble!
  • Sponsored links:

• playing at chelsfield lakes at 11.28 tee not my ideal tee time but needs must as every where is banged out atm, in other news heard that barnehurst has been bought by someone hopefully turn it into a nice little track and id likely be a member if sensibly priced as 5 mins from home. 
  • playing at chelsfield lakes at 11.28 tee not my ideal tee time but needs must as every where is banged out atm, in other news heard that barnehurst has been bought by someone hopefully turn it into a nice little track and id likely be a member if sensibly priced as 5 mins from home. 
    Be careful at Barnehurst Golf Course

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1356177/hilarious-sign-posted-at-golf-course-warning-about-a-local-dog-walker-who-is-into-dogging/
    That’s really good news. Be a shame to lose it
  • Some days you have good days, others you can have shockers. Yesterday in a 9 hole comp I scored 10pts. Only had 4pts after 6 holes. Painful 
  • Some days you have good days, others you can have shockers. Yesterday in a 9 hole comp I scored 10pts. Only had 4pts after 6 holes. Painful 
    That’s why we keep going back! 😂 and usually you’ve had a good last round when that happens!!.
  • Played yesterday at Croham Hurst in a charity day.  Started at the par 3 11th.  Hit my first two tee shots out of bounds.

Lost my tee shot on the next.

Recovered to score 30 points but it felt as if I'd never played the game first two holes!
  • Up at Redlibbets yesterday I was having a blinder. I had 9 good looks at birdie (8 within 10ft) but only made one of them and that was sandwiched between two triple bogeys on 16 & 18. Funny old game!
  • I hit about 6 inches from a hole in one yesterday. Was nice to hit a rare birdie but the dream goes on!

Been pretty much a fortnight of no rain since the restart and really noticed the greens firm up already
  • I hit about 6 inches from a hole in one yesterday. Was nice to hit a rare birdie but the dream goes on!

Been pretty much a fortnight of no rain since the restart and really noticed the greens firm up already
    Redlibbets is far too dry
  • edited April 2021
    I've only played properly once, so of course it peed down and was freezing - at Littlestone Warren last Saturday. Got back home and everything local was dry. Played well, all considered - 40 odd points.

Then went to Princes/Princes Park/Paul Page Golf Academy on Sunday to see how it is these days. £9 for 9 holes, which I thought was worth it as the greens were decent and that's cheaper than a game of crazy golf. They still have odd opening times, they close early at weekends. So I'll go back but there probably aren't many times you can drop 20 balls and do some pitching, like back in the day. Good to see it busy and doing relatively well, though. They have a simulator for lessons too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone else had a bad game and seen their handicap shoot up under the WHS
  • Curious to know how often people play to their handicap on here? I see a lot of rounds of 36pts or more...Is CharltonLife a breeding ground for bandits?  ;)
  • Chelsfield last Saturday was v slow going, really need to be a 4 ball for Saturday games, we were a 2 am not playing this weekend but am next saturday at pedham with my cousin whos a member. 
  • edited April 2021
    cafcpolo said:
    Curious to know how often people play to their handicap on here? I see a lot of rounds of 36pts or more...Is CharltonLife a breeding ground for bandits?  ;)
    I expect lots of golfers (not just Lifers) dont have an actual handicap & just guess a number. I've played many a Corporate/society do where people have said they play off 16 or 18 and once you see them play a couple of holes you know its bullshit.

FWIW - I got an official handicap by playing Barnehurst.....mainly so I could play courses that demand seeing a handicap certificate. I remember being really pleased I got down to 18 so I could play Royal St Georges......and they did check it on the day !
  • cafcpolo said:
    Curious to know how often people play to their handicap on here? I see a lot of rounds of 36pts or more...Is CharltonLife a breeding ground for bandits?  ;)
    I expect lots of golfers (not just Lifers) dont have an actual handicap & just guess a number. I've played many a Corporate/society do where people have said they play off 16 or 18 and once you see them play a couple of holes you know its bullshit.

FWIW - I got an official handicap by playing Barnehurst.....mainly so I could play courses that demand seeing a handicap certificate. I remember being really pleased I got down to 18 so I could play Royal St Georges......and they did check it on the day !
    Royal St George’s is ridiculously difficult - I didn’t enjoy it at all - just soul destroying 
  • Littlestone Warren is 4900 yards so shooting your handicap isnt hard. 

I have a Golfshake handicap of 13 with 90 rounds on it. It was about £12 for a year and so far every club I've asked has accepted it (including RSG, TOC, Birkdale). I'd like to change to an official US handicap (possible via a society) when that expires. These days I think anyone will take your money if you write a nice email, especially if you offer to hire a caddie.
  • cafcpolo said:

I think I read somewhere they are going to allow people to attain an official handicap without being a club member later this year. Basically by registering your scores online. Not sure the clubs are going to be happy, but for people who can’t commit to a club membership but take it seriously enough to want an official hcp I think will be encouraging.
  • Hi everyone, just seen the Charlton golf day set for 28th July. Asking for four ball bookings. If anyone fancy’s it and can’t make a four ball, I’m in the same situation,  can get two of us but not four. By all means let me know if you want to make a four.
  • Great photo, Del ! 

Hope you & the family are well...you look it !