Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Well I won’t be signing you in...
    Could you imagine a round of golf with him - it’s bad enough reading his match thread posts !!!
  • Looking for some advice from the 'older generation' golfers on here. Since my heart issue, some 6 years ago, I've not been on a course (used to play twice a week and was  around a 15/16 handicap before I stopped)
    Been out on driving range recently and I've noticed I've lost a lot of distance, using my steel shafted Titleist clubs that are now nearly 30 years old! 
    For example my 5 iron distance is what my 7 iron used to be!
    So looking for advice on graphite shafted clubs, maybe all with hybrid heads? I'm not going to spend a fortune for obvious reasons, and I have graphite shafted 3 and 5 woods ( but again they're about 8 years old).
    Anyone got any recommendations?
    Cheers.
  • Looking for some advice from the 'older generation' golfers on here. Since my heart issue, some 6 years ago, I've not been on a course (used to play twice a week and was  around a 15/16 handicap before I stopped)
    Been out on driving range recently and I've noticed I've lost a lot of distance, using my steel shafted Titleist clubs that are now nearly 30 years old! 
    So looking for advice on graphite shafted clubs, maybe all with hybrid heads? I'm not going to spend a fortune for obvious reasons, and I have graphite shafted 3 and 5 woods ( but again they're about 8 years old).
    Cheers.
    Glad to hear you are getting back out there RM. without wanting to state the obvious, a factor in your loss of distance will be your own age and body condition. Happens to us all, especially after Illness. However, if you are using 30 year old bats, almost anything you will buy these days will hit the ball a lot further. Also, driving range balls are crap so when you get out on the course with decent balls you will notice a big difference.  I’d advise you get down your local pro shop/American golf and try out anything and everything until you get comfy with something (beware, they will try to sell you something expensive!). 
    Cheers.
    Hi redmidland, to be honest the best option would be to go to a club/shop explain what you have on here and get fitted. You don’t have to get the most expensive but they will tell you what suits based on all this info. I’m not necessarily pushing American golf, but you can walk in and have a chat and a swing and point you the right way if you don’t want to go to a golf club. They are the experts,anyone on here without seeing your swing would just be guessing.
  • edited May 2021
    Looking for some advice from the 'older generation' golfers on here. Since my heart issue, some 6 years ago, I've not been on a course (used to play twice a week and was  around a 15/16 handicap before I stopped)
    Cheers.
    Glad to hear you are getting back out there RM. without wanting to state the obvious, a factor in your loss of distance will be your own age and body condition. Happens to us all, especially after Illness. However, if you are using 30 year old bats, almost anything you will buy these days will hit the ball a lot further. Also, driving range balls are crap so when you get out on the course with decent balls you will notice a big difference.  I’d advise you get down your local pro shop/American golf and try out anything and everything until you get comfy with something (beware, they will try to sell you something expensive!). 
    Agreed they will push there luck on price, but they will tell you what is going to work best.for you as an individual.
  • I had it in my head that graphite shafts only really benefit a fast swing / low handicapper really in control of their swing. Am I wrong?
  • Just back from playing Hever Castle Princes course twice round.

68 par course. Shortened first hole for some reason. Shot 83, which is 2 below my handicap.

A nice course, set in amazing grounds, with its fair share of water hazards.....especially the par three 6th. Two of our group just didn't get to grips with it and both had a couple of balls go swimming.

All in all a decent course and one I'll definitely go back to. Will try the Championship course next time round though.
  • edited May 2021
    I had it in my head that graphite shafts only really benefit a fast swing / low handicapper really in control of their swing. Am I wrong?
    Almost the opposite!

Graphite shafts are significant lighter, and the same swing power hitting a graphite will produce a faster club head speed and therefore further distance than hitting a steel shaft.

As I've got older I've lost a fair bit of swing speed, not least because it is not as full - graphites compensate for it.
  • bobmunro said:
    I had it in my head that graphite shafts only really benefit a fast swing / low handicapper really in control of their swing. Am I wrong?
    Almost the opposite!

Graphite shafts are significant lighter, and the same swing power hitting a graphite will produce a faster club head speed and therefore further distance than hitting a steel shaft.

As I've got older I've lost a fair bit of swing speed, not least because it is not as full - graphites compensate for it.
    Same here. Switched to graphite as I was told it would be better due to my slow swing speed. 
  • Remember having a few lessons at Shooters Hill and be told the my steel shaft clubs were too whippy for my swing and not to bother with graphite shaft clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

That's ok then as I wouldnt want to play there anyway.....or many of the other courses I mentioned. To keep my hand in I would probably do twilights around Birchwood or Pedham but wouldn't want to be a member anywhere around here.

My only regret with the introduction of RDR in the financial services industry is the abandonment of Corporate golf days. I've been spoilt in the past to have been invited to play some of the best courses in the South East - like Woburn, Princes, Royal St Georges, The Grove, Moor Park, East Sussex National, Cinque Ports, Woking and The New Zealand. Even got to play St Andrews Bay & Carnoustie - with me having just to pay my air fare up to Scotland.

• I had it in my head that graphite shafts only really benefit a fast swing / low handicapper really in control of their swing. Am I wrong?
    It’s all about how stiff the shaft is (fnah fnah Finbar Saunders) - the stiffer it is, the better player you are - professionals will have very stiff ones - there are a myriad of different types - I made the mistake of buying a stiff shaft Taylormade driver years ago - I simply couldn’t control it - my swing speed, ability, eye to hand / arm connection, was not good enough to play with the club

Bought a Cobra which was fitted by a pro, and it was a different world

Year later my golf turned to shit - but that was in my head, nothing to do with clubs

68 par course. Shortened first hole for some reason. Shot 83, which is 2 below my handicap.

A nice course, set in amazing grounds, with its fair share of water hazards.....especially the par three 6th. Two of our group just didn't get to grips with it and both had a couple of balls go swimming.

All in all a decent course and one I'll definitely go back to. Will try the Championship course next time round though.
    Championship course totally different kettle of fish - way harder, longer etc 

It’s much the better course at Hever

It has their version of Amen Corner, the 3rd of which is a magnificent par 4 over significant water from the tee, then 2nd shot over a small stream to a postage stamp green - I have never done better than bogie on that hole !!!

It has their version of Amen Corner, the 3rd of which is a magnificent par 4 over significant water from the tee, then 2nd shot over a small stream to a postage stamp green - I have never done better than bogie on that hole !!!
    Was a member at Hever years ago.  Yes the 13th is a bugger of a hole.  Lovely back 9.
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get off to American golf in coming days and see what they say, but will be price driven. I do know there is a 'senior' graphite shaft so I'll look for those as well. I learnt my golf firstly at Beckenham golf course (the public one) which I believe has gone now, but improved playing links golf at Princes in Sandwich and parkland golf at Woking in Surrey.
    My bats have been regripped twice have very small heads, in fact they are closer to 'blades'.
    Any thoughts on 'hybrid' heads, I think that's where irons all look like rescue clubs?

Thanks for the heads up. Was chatting about the Championship course on our way round as we couldn't get on it today. Princes course was very quiet so we had a leisurely game without having to worry about anyone behind us. Even managed a 15 minute sit down on the 12th (3rd) on the back 9 to enjoy a cold beer :)

Thanks for the heads up. Was chatting about the Championship course on our way round as we couldn't get on it today. Princes course was very quiet so we had a leisurely game without having to worry about anyone behind us. Even managed a 15 minute sit down on the 12th (3rd) on the back 9 to enjoy a cold beer :)
    Once you play the Championship course, you won’t want to play the other one

Obviously, I have no idea about your fitness levels etc, but the Championship is a long old trek, so if that’s an issue, best get a buggy - the 17th off the back tee is ridiculously long - par 5 - off the back tee I have hit, driver, 5 wood, 5 wood and still needed an 8 iron to the green !!
  • edited May 2021
    supaclive said:
    I'm off to Scotland from Sunday.   Being picked up from home at 9am and playing Goswick that PM.  Stay local overnight before playing Panmure Monday before heading up to Carnoustie.

Playing the Championship course Tuesday lunchtime before we head to St Andrews.

Playing The Old Course Wednesday morning, dinner in the Old Tom Morris restaurant before we play The New Course Thursday morning and then head home.

With no Japanese or American tourists it was much easier to get on The Old Course than we ever imagined.

Cannot wait!
    That the Old Tom 200 deal? I'm waiting to hear back about that. Will be in Scotland a few times this year, all being well. Elie at a discounted £55 is a must-do when in St Andrews.

I'm playing a few of the big courses in the northwest next week, then over to Woodhall Spa and Seacroft. Should have an official USGA handicap by then too, thanks to a loophole.
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get off to American golf in coming days and see what they say, but will be price driven. I do know there is a 'senior' graphite shaft so I'll look for those as well. I learnt my golf firstly at Beckenham golf course (the public one) which I believe has gone now, but improved playing links golf at Princes in Sandwich and parkland golf at Woking in Surrey.
    My bats have been regripped twice have very small heads, in fact they are closer to 'blades'.
    Any thoughts on 'hybrid' heads, I think that's where irons all look like rescue clubs?
    Thoughts on hybrid heads are quite simple. If you  are comfortable with them and they make it easier to hit for you then go for them. Before my illness/affliction I was off 6.8. Not quite the lowest I’ve ever been but for a 54 year old fatso I was really pleased. There is no point whatsoever in clinging to blades because you can shape them and that’s what good players use. About 10 years ago I bought what turned out to be my last set of clubs. I was custom fitted for the latest irons. I’d been playing Mizubo for years and liked them. I tried out the latest blades and the peripheral weighted “help you out a bit sir” irons (MX250s I think they are). Almost no difference on the range whatsoever. I was hitting them within a couple of yards of each other. I proudly said to the pro that I still had it so I’ll take the blades please. He persuaded me that I was kidding myself. I was trying them out on a day when I was swinging beautifully. In reality, most of the time I wouldn’t be swinging that well and I should take the clubs with a bit more forgiveness. Not great for my ego. But he was right and I followed his advice. Another tip is take a lot of time selecting your wedges. Those are they clubs, together with your driver and putter, that you will hit the most. So a try a lot out and be prepared to fork out. Ping wedges in my experience are great. 
  • Sponsored links:

Obviously, I have no idea about your fitness levels etc, but the Championship is a long old trek, so if that’s an issue, best get a buggy - the 17th off the back tee is ridiculously long - par 5 - off the back tee I have hit, driver, 5 wood, 5 wood and still needed an 8 iron to the green !!
    Fitness isn't too bad. May opt for the buggy if only to hurry one of our group along a bit. It's like someone presses pause on him for 15 seconds before every shot.

Have heard about the 17th. Would hope I could reach it with a drive, 4 wood, 4 wood but may be setting myself up for a fall (just checked and it's, apparently, 626 yards. So, would hopefully be a drive, 4 wood and then a 7 iron. Will end up being 4 shots to get on and then a minimum 3 putt  :/ )

Fitness isn't too bad. May opt for the buggy if only to hurry one of our group along a bit. It's like someone presses pause on him for 15 seconds before every shot.

Have heard about the 17th. Would hope I could reach it with a drive, 4 wood, 4 wood but may be setting myself up for a fall (just checked and it's, apparently, 626 yards. So, would hopefully be a drive, 4 wood and then a 7 iron. Will end up being 4 shots to get on and then a minimum 3 putt  :/ )
    The problem is that the 15th (also a long hole), 17th and 18th are almost always (well when I played there) into the wind - Hever is quite high up on a hill - I played there once, it was really windy, on 15 I creamed a drive, but it’s uphill from the tee, ball got above the slope and it stalled in the air and just dropped - my mate had one of those watch things - I had driven it 180 yards !!!

If I had the skill, there are some holes at Hever I would play like a links golfer - very low, skirting along the fairway to keep under the wind

BUT don’t be put off - it’s a great course - makes you think on a lot of holes

The problem is that the 15th (also a long hole), 17th and 18th are almost always (well when I played there) into the wind - Hever is quite high up on a hill - I played there once, it was really windy, on 15 I creamed a drive, but it’s uphill from the tee, ball got above the slope and it stalled in the air and just dropped - my mate had one of those watch things - I had driven it 180 yards !!!

If I had the skill, there are some holes at Hever I would play like a links golfer - very low, skirting along the fairway to keep under the wind

BUT don’t be put off - it’s a great course - makes you think on a lot of holes
    Yeah, it's always easier in the mind before you see it and actually play a hole.

Am actually looking forward to it even more. Love a challenging course. It's too easy to pick the simpler courses and keep banging them out and luring yourself into a false sense of security with your handicap. Then you play a decent, thinking persons, course and your game falls apart :)
  • @Sillybilly thank you for your advice. I did get down to 10 many years ago, but was playing 3 times a week and was very fit ( did 36 holes at Princes Course in Sandwich morn and afternoon!).
    Wedges are my Achilles heel! Learnt to use, at Princes, my 7 iron as a 'Texas Wedge' and became very good at it, even chipping over bunkers onto the green, but keeping it low as well.
    I think hybrids may be best for me now, my Titleist clubs are not very forgiving, in fact I've found them difficult to use on the range now!
    Hope your on the mend mate, and thanks again for the advice.

That's ok then as I wouldnt want to play there anyway.....or many of the other courses I mentioned. To keep my hand in I would probably do twilights around Birchwood or Pedham but wouldn't want to be a member anywhere around here.

My only regret with the introduction of RDR in the financial services industry is the abandonment of Corporate golf days. I've been spoilt in the past to have been invited to play some of the best courses in the South East - like Woburn, Princes, Royal St Georges, The Grove, Moor Park, East Sussex National, Cinque Ports, Woking and The New Zealand. Even got to play St Andrews Bay & Carnoustie - with me having just to pay my air fare up to Scotland.

reckon I used to have 10-12 corporate golf days a year, but in the last few years they've totally dried up. Like you played at some great places including The Belfry, The Grove, Woburn and Celtic Manor

even claimed back the Petrol and hotels !

One year it got so bad I was turning days down, they joked in the office that I'd get my European Tour card. Ah those were the days..
  • edited May 2021
    RedPanda said:
    supaclive said:
    I'm off to Scotland from Sunday.   Being picked up from home at 9am and playing Goswick that PM.  Stay local overnight before playing Panmure Monday before heading up to Carnoustie.

Playing The Old Course Wednesday morning, dinner in the Old Tom Morris restaurant before we play The New Course Thursday morning and then head home.

With no Japanese or American tourists it was much easier to get on The Old Course than we ever imagined.

Cannot wait!
    That the Old Tom 200 deal? I'm waiting to hear back about that. Will be in Scotland a few times this year, all being well. Elie at a discounted £55 is a must-do when in St Andrews.

I'm playing a few of the big courses in the northwest next week, then over to Woodhall Spa and Seacroft. Should have an official USGA handicap by then too, thanks to a loophole.
    Woodhall Spa used to be the home of the English PGA. Lovely heathland course with plenty of trees, heather & bracken. Some deep bunkers around the greens - was in one & it was so deep it had steps down into it & I couldn't see the green once over my ball. 

Only problem with the course is that it's in the middle of nowhere  !!

reckon I used to have 10-12 corporate golf days a year, but in the last few years they've totally dried up. Like you played at some great places including The Belfry, The Grove, Woburn and Celtic Manor

even claimed back the Petrol and hotels !

One year it got so bad I was turning days down, they joked in the office that I'd get my European Tour card. Ah those were the days..
    Played Celtic Manor (both courses) before Monty changed it for the Ryder Cup. 
  • RedPanda said:
    supaclive said:

Cannot wait!

It's called The Honeymoon package.   £450 for both rounds, dinner, personalised cap and putter cover.
  • @bobmunro, I've sent you a message.
    Thanks
    RedM