Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• I’ve gone full circle with FIGJAM and have really warmed to him over the last few years. Well pleased to see him win.

Anyway, back to playing golf. had a couple of pals join my club a few weeks back and they’ve turned out to be some form of rain Jonah. Every single round they book it pours down. Wish they’d been blackballed 
  • Has anyone played at West Malling? if so what course is better the Spitfire or Hurricane? Looking at playing there this bank holiday
  • edited May 2021
    Red_James said:
    Has anyone played at West Malling? if so what course is better the Spitfire or Hurricane? Looking at playing there this bank holiday
    I was a member there for years.

Hurricane is very forgiving, but a bit boring - it does have a 600 yard par 5 though (16th). Spitfire is trickier and much more scenic with better variety of holes.

Caveat - I haven't played there for probably 15 years and I believe there have been some changes to the Hurricane.
  • As Bob says, spitfire is the much better and interesting course. Hurricane is easier. I think the spitfire has had some changes recently as well as there was a ridiculously hard par 4 uphill that was surrounded by trees. 
  • Champs85 said:
    As Bob says, spitfire is the much better and interesting course. Hurricane is easier. I think the spitfire has had some changes recently as well as there was a ridiculously hard par 4 uphill that was surrounded by trees. 
    Yes - known as the Eiger! I remember it well - not fondly but well!
  • edited May 2021
    Played Hever yesterday - played well, scoring 33 points - wind was very strong, which made the 15th, 17th and 18th very long, but managed to get on the green in regulation on 15 and 18 with 2 mighty hits with my 7 wood - then 3 putted both 😡😡

Very slow though, caused by a 4 ball and 3 ball ahead, all of whom were Japanese, with zero etiquette - I have never seen anyone (incl pros) take so many practice swings on the tee, and as for putting, it was ridiculous - I timed the 3 ball on one green, and it was over 5 minutes to putt out - it didn’t go down well when I shouted at them to speed up....
  • Played Hever yesterday - played well, scoring 33 points - wind was very strong, which made the 15th, 17th and 18th very long, but managed to get on the green in regulation on 15 and 18 with 2 mighty hits with my 7 wood - then 3 putted both 😡😡

Very slow though, caused by a 4 ball and 3 ball ahead, all of whom were Japanese, with zero etiquette - I have never seen anyone (incl pros) take so many practice swings on the tee, and as for putting, it was ridiculous - I timed the 3 ball on one green, and it was over 5 minutes to putt out - it didn’t go down well when I shouted at them to speed up....
    I HATE slow play. I think I would have exploded.....or just tried to play through. No need for it at all. 
  • Played Hever yesterday - played well, scoring 33 points - wind was very strong, which made the 15th, 17th and 18th very long, but managed to get on the green in regulation on 15 and 18 with 2 mighty hits with my 7 wood - then 3 putted both 😡😡

I HATE slow play. I think I would have exploded.....or just tried to play through. No need for it at all. 
    When I was a member at Woodlands near Brands Hatch, there were some blokes I played with who would lose the plot over slow play, and on a couple of occasions I thought there was going to be fisty cuffs - both times were when a society was playing, and we were behind them

It definitely affects my game - yesterday we were ticking along nicely, I was driving the ball well and my mid irons were going particularly well - then on hole 10 we came up behind the Japs, and that was it - waiting on every shot, and consequently my play started being erratic - in general I make my mind up as to what club I am going to hit as I walk towards my ball - I don’t fart about standing there for 2 or 3 minutes trying to work out what to do, and I don’t have to take 8 or 9 practice swings - just hit the f’ing ball and get on with it

When I was a member at Woodlands near Brands Hatch, there were some blokes I played with who would lose the plot over slow play, and on a couple of occasions I thought there was going to be fisty cuffs - both times were when a society was playing, and we were behind them

It definitely affects my game - yesterday we were ticking along nicely, I was driving the ball well and my mid irons were going particularly well - then on hole 10 we came up behind the Japs, and that was it - waiting on every shot, and consequently my play started being erratic - in general I make my mind up as to what club I am going to hit as I walk towards my ball - I don’t fart about standing there for 2 or 3 minutes trying to work out what to do, and I don’t have to take 8 or 9 practice swings - just hit the f’ing ball and get on with it
    Should have fired one at them after waiting the 2nd / 3rd time if they wasn't playing you through!
  • cafcpolo said:
    Played Hever yesterday - played well, scoring 33 points - wind was very strong, which made the 15th, 17th and 18th very long, but managed to get on the green in regulation on 15 and 18 with 2 mighty hits with my 7 wood - then 3 putted both 😡😡

Should have fired one at them after waiting the 2nd / 3rd time if they wasn't playing you through!
    A guaranteed way to start a fight !!
  • Sponsored links:

• @RedPanda great pictures.

I would agree with you on Lytham - amazingly friendly people and very accommodating for visitors. Absolutely awesome course as well and I'll always have that image in my memory banks of standing on the 18th tee looking ahead to that wonderful old clubhouse, and wondering whether the fairway between me and it had more grass or more sand!
  • RedPanda said:
    You need some rhythm to play well. For the same reason when actually being allowed to play through, I'll rush & usually hit an embarrassingly bad shot.

I ticked off my 100th different 18 hole course yesterday. It's become an addiction like ground hopping. From last Monday to yesterday I played...

Lytham - awesome, pretty much what you'd expect. Incredibly friendly, they're planning some rerouting to try make room for The Open to return in 2026 - a century since their first one.

West Lancs - solid links but not spectacular. My least favourite on that coast.

Birkdale - very good front 9, AMAZING back 9. Below shows how far right Spieth went to find the practice ground on 13:

Southport & Ainsdale - a bit more heathy. Held 2 Ryder Cups back when it went to links courses. Has the most disgusting fairway bunker I've ever seen, pictures can't do its height justice. Yes I did thin one into it:

Formby - some heathland, some hilly land, some links. Got kicked in the teeth repeatedly but it's an amazing course:

Formby Ladies - 5400 yards of mostly heathland, a bit of links and nowhere near as easy as the yardage suggests.

Hoylake - blown away. Was just there to tick it off but it got in my loins and I have to go back. The new 15th (17th in The Open) is a wedge par 3 into the prevailing wind, so they will have to play knockdown shots. Extra deep bunkers are hidden right and left:

The golf in the northwest is excellent but you're paying a lot of money to get beaten up constantly. It doesn't have shorter, more fun courses like a Littlestone Warren or Kilspindie. Thankfully some of them held their Autumn and Spring rates for me as I'd had 2 Covid cancellations. Everywhere was very friendly, with no snobbery - I'm finding it's usually the w*nky little clubs that have the most golf Nazis.

Played all of those apart from Formby Ladies and Hoylake (though have been to the Open to watch) and yes, that stretch of England is blessed with some brilliant courses.    The railway sleeper bunker at S&A is immense.   I didn't go in it but one of the group did and never came out.    Well, not literally.

My Scotland trip was brilliant - we only had 45 minutes of rain in 5 days.    We played off the BLACK tees everywhere and I managed to par the 1st and 18th on the Old Course and even got a five from the road of the road hole, so was well chuffed considering I didn't swing it well that day.

Carnoustie off the blacks was as the pros play it and I shot a 83 Gross and I'll take that - the day was quite pleasant but my score was adjusted down for WHS purposes as the course plays more than 6 harder than par off the championship tees.

Came back home and got 35 yesterday in the Sunday stableford - suddenly a par 70, 6100 yard course in the Derbyshire Dales was a piece of piss in comparison!

• My golfing partner was a bit of a skinflint so out of the ones you mentioned @RedPanda we played Formby Ladies (probably just as good as the mens course seeing as its all on the same bit of land) and Hoylake municipal (Liverpool) - which is just over the road from the "big" course but nowhere near the same.

Also played West Lancs & Birkdale. In the case of the latter I dont remember loads of Sky broadcasting trucks that I could get a line of sight ruling from when I went a bit off course  !!
  • Mates are playing North Foreland next week. Am I right to be jealous? 
    It’s ok - but Princes or Royal Cinque Ports are better

Jewel in the crown is Royal St George’s - but for us mere mortals it’s ridiculously difficult - I have played St George’s once, and whilst simply playing it was a treat, it’s too difficult, and I lost heart after 4 holes 

Another cracking course is Littlestone - but again, tough test

Kent does have some superb golf courses, dare I say it, a better selection than Surrey 
    Looking to join when we move down there. Had a look around and very impressive and actually cheaper 7day membership than Redlibbets 
    Not really. More of a cliff top course than links or anything else. A couple if nice holes but not worth the money (whatever they are paying). I entered their Open competition one year (c2000). Only paid a tenner to play so couldnt turn it down at that price but wouldnt want to pay more than £20- £25 for a round with my mates.
    It’s ok - but Princes or Royal Cinque Ports are better

Jewel in the crown is Royal St George’s - but for us mere mortals it’s ridiculously difficult - I have played St George’s once, and whilst simply playing it was a treat, it’s too difficult, and I lost heart after 4 holes 

Another cracking course is Littlestone - but again, tough test

Kent does have some superb golf courses, dare I say it, a better selection than Surrey 
    I agree that Kent has some decent links courses but not much else. Surrey has a few decent heathland & parkland courses but most are very expensive for what they are. 
  • One of the nicest courses I've ever played was Castle Combe in Wiltshire. 

Was a few years ago now, but was a cracking place 
  • Sponsored links:

I enjoyed it when we played a couple of years ago. Got a ridiculously good deal playing with two past captains of my club who got courtesy rounds so we just divvied up the green fees between us. Nice if unremarkable course and they did a great fresh seafood platter for us when we got back to the clubhouse. And I wasn’t driving!!
  • I've just remembered the other course I used to play, it was West Hill, just outside Woking. Played there every Thursday for about 18 months, a lovely heathland course.
  • Played sittingbourne &milton regis today. Seemed to be a lovely course but spoilt by the torrential rain that never let up for a single minute. look forward to going back 
  • I’m off on a golf w/e with mates today to Bowood in Wiltshire - come back Monday - very good course and hotel - so excited woke up at 5.00am !!!
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Played sittingbourne &milton regis today. Seemed to be a lovely course but spoilt by the torrential rain that never let up for a single minute. look forward to going back 
    I feel your pain from yesterday, my game was spoiled by torrential rain at Nizels, had to finish early as some greens were like lakes ☹️.  Course appears to be in good condition though.
  • Played last Saturday and one of my shit Slazenger shoes come apart and was flapping after just 6 months. Been away all week so not had a chance to replace, so tried glueing it last night for this morning’s round. What could go wrong!

Wonder if Uncle Roland still has some duck tape?
  • Jon Rahm - 6 Shots clear at Memorial has had to withdraw after testing positive with Covid! How do his playing partners get away with that? Surely they have to self isolate too?
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Jon Rahm - 6 Shots clear at Memorial has had to withdraw after testing positive with Covid! How do his playing partners get away with that? Surely they have to self isolate too?
    They are saying they have a daily test, as long as it’s negative they can play.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Poor man been playing some nice stuff as well