Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Should just let him play his final round on his own.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Should just let him play his final round on his own.
    Yes, I was thinking that. Its not unusual to see a single player going round with a "marker". Very unfair imo. They said at the start of the tournament that he could play even though they knew he had been kn contact with someone who had tested positive.

What about the 2 he was playing with yesterday (or even the day before). Will they now be tested every day as if they test positive over the next few days then 10 days isolation means they miss the US Open. 
  • More cheating Americans. This time even the rules official helped the players cheat. Fancy taking a break just because it starts to rain. 

• No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.
  • No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.
    I feel your pain. I have only ever been a member of Barnehurst - a 9 hole council run pay & play course that used to have monthly comps, usually on a Saturday or Sunday. As it's a 9 hole course you'd often find you'd be finishing the 9th & coming up to the 1st again (your 10th) to find 2 groups of non-members waiting to go off for their "weekend piss around" with their mates. Not great for your scorecard to find yourself waiting around whilst these lads would be taking all day to find lost balls/going back to the tee or putt out.

I am lucky to have played many courses around the UK via the 2-fore-1 scheme. Half priced golf (although not usually weekend mornings) & in Scotland and Wales this could mean Championship courses for less than £30. Also played some great courses by invites on Corporate events. Includes Moor Park, The Grove, Walton Heath & Royal St Georges. I think I'd only be a member of a course if I was retired & if it was just around the corner so I could just turn up & play whenever it suited. 
  • Speaking as a witness, I categorically state that golfie is rubbish and hasn't got a clue about anything to do with golf.

He should quieten down and get back to doing what he does best - moaning and being pessimistic about Charlton on football threads.
  • Speaking as a witness, I categorically state that golfie is rubbish and hasn't got a clue about anything to do with golf.

He should quieten down and get back to doing what he does best - moaning and being pessimistic about Charlton on football threads.
    This comes from the bloke who made us take 6 hours to play a round of golf in Halifax. Took more than a dozen shots to get the ball onto the green then wanted to hole out, even though we said (after about 3 putts) to pick it up. 
    I feel your pain. I have only ever been a member of Barnehurst - a 9 hole council run pay & play course that used to have monthly comps, usually on a Saturday or Sunday. As it's a 9 hole course you'd often find you'd be finishing the 9th & coming up to the 1st again (your 10th) to find 2 groups of non-members waiting to go off for their "weekend piss around" with their mates. Not great for your scorecard to find yourself waiting around whilst these lads would be taking all day to find lost balls/going back to the tee or putt out.

I am lucky to have played many courses around the UK via the 2-fore-1 scheme. Half priced golf (although not usually weekend mornings) & in Scotland and Wales this could mean Championship courses for less than £30. Also played some great courses by invites on Corporate events. Includes Moor Park, The Grove, Walton Heath & Royal St Georges. I think I'd only be a member of a course if I was retired & if it was just around the corner so I could just turn up & play whenever it suited. 
    I wont name the club,but it is local to me,and although most people there are ok,I just get the feeling that some members really dont want non-members playing.I had an instance last week,my group(3) was the first casual round following a vets competition.No problem,10 minute intervals,pace of play fine.There is a tea hut at the 11th hole,the group in front finished the hole and all sat down for a cuppa and roll,my group completed the hole ,walked past to play and were informed that we could not continue until the group in front played as they were in a competition.I politely told them that they could not hold up play like this,and went to tee off,whereby one guy parked his buggy in front of the tee,and waited for his mates to join him.I was going to make a complaint,but as that was probably my last round there ,not worth it.
  • Name and shame! Name and shame!

I wont name the club,but it is local to me,and although most people there are ok,I just get the feeling that some members really dont want non-members playing.I had an instance last week,my group(3) was the first casual round following a vets competition.No problem,10 minute intervals,pace of play fine.There is a tea hut at the 11th hole,the group in front finished the hole and all sat down for a cuppa and roll,my group completed the hole ,walked past to play and were informed that we could not continue until the group in front played as they were in a competition.I politely told them that they could not hold up play like this,and went to tee off,whereby one guy parked his buggy in front of the tee,and waited for his mates to join him.I was going to make a complaint,but as that was probably my last round there ,not worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    No where else to have a moan,as I play my golf with different people,in different locations,I dont warrant paying full membership fees to a club.For the last 3 years,I have enjoyed "social" membership at a local club which cost me £35.00 a year and entitled me to book a week in advance at a slightly reduced green fee.(The club is mainly members with the odd visitor allowed).I have just received my renewal,£175.00 that is %500 increase,how can that be justified,I can only assume they dont want my custom.I and my regular playing partner,are not renewing,we always played once a week,always had a pint after ,often took a guest along,spending between us roughly£1000 a year.I bet a lot of other social members feel the same,and the club will lose money.Before anyone suggests,members ,rightly had tee time preferences so we only booked after they had their picks,so we did not use up the popular slots.

I can see both sides tbh. If you were the "start" of the casual rounders/ non-members and there were groups behind you then Yes, you have every right to "play through". However, if there was no-one behind you would it have harmed you to take a break for 5 mins, have a drink at the tea hut & let them carry on once they had finished.

Me & my (now ex) golfing partner once played a round at Stableford Abbotts (just off the the M25 nr Brentwood). Sunday afternoon & on booking was told we couldn't go out until after 2pm as they had their annual, BIG Competition. Fine, no problem. Turned up mid afternoon, paid the green fees & off to the first tee we went. Just teed off & started strolling down the fairway & we were approached by a bloke in a buggy. Asked if we could "hurry up" with our game & not look for any lost balls as the BIG Competition had gone into a play-off and the 2 tied at the top were just about to tee off & were following us. We were followed over the next 3 holes by a crowd of onlookers until the 4th hole (where we assume someone won at the 3rd) and we got the distinct impression we were persona non grata......for having the audacity to play a round of golf hours after anyone had played but just so happened to coincide with their play off !

• Sorry to hear that @thickandthin63 hate all the bollox. 

This comes from the bloke who made us take 6 hours to play a round of golf in Halifax. Took more than a dozen shots to get the ball onto the green then wanted to hole out, even though we said (after about 3 putts) to pick it up. 
    What nonsense. That was the hole where I felt sorry for you because you were 10 behind. I was just letting you catch up a bit. 

I do take a long time on my shots, that's true. When you get to my level, you'll understand why my concentration time is so accentuated.
  • Just bought a house this morning in Broadstairs and went to North Foreland GC to join as a member only to find there’s a long waiting list. Talk about take the shine out of the joy of your dream move to the coast. 🤬
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Just bought a house this morning in Broadstairs and went to North Foreland GC to join as a member only to find there’s a long waiting list. Talk about take the shine out of the joy of your dream move to the coast. 🤬
    I think the crappiest of clubs have a waiting list at the moment!!!,😂Be patient!! Never played there though.👍
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Just bought a house this morning in Broadstairs and went to North Foreland GC to join as a member only to find there’s a long waiting list. Talk about take the shine out of the joy of your dream move to the coast. 🤬
    I should imagine the waiting list moves quite quickly.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I should imagine the waiting list moves quite quickly.
    There is a lot of “older” members. Maybe there’ll be a harsh winter 😬
  • I used to play golf a lot as a teenager and a lot of clubs were somewhat prehistoric in their attitudes. A great game but still struggling with the modern world.

Lucky enough to play some great courses in Scotland where the game is far more accessible.

• After 35years of playing I have finally decided to give up, my body basically isn't up to it anymore, I still really enjoy watching the coverage on TV and have been lucky enough to have played in several different countries, my lowest official handicap was 3 and I played in many scratch events over a twenty year period , so all I would like to say is carry on enjoying your golf but occasionally smell the roses on the way round, I'll give you one last FORE and wish you well .
  • Sponsored links:

I'd have politely moved his cart for him and tee'd off

If it’s the course I think it is from the description I would have set his cart off down the hill from the 12th tee. He wouldn’t have caught up with it!!
  • edited June 2021
    Played Woldingham today. Blistering heat, lovely course, very well kept greens and all round good days golf.

I now resemble a Swan Vesta.
  • Played my worse round at Littlestone Championship on Sunday went round in 99 hoping to get my driver working proper tomorrow at West Kent 
  • Played Richmond last week which was ok but rough too long and greens poorly kept.  Played to my 20 handicap though so happy with that.  Just booked Chelsfield for Friday and a couple of rounds next week.
  • edited June 2021
    Played Meon Valley in Botley, Southampton with a society on the weekend. Very enjoyable course. Very well kept.
  • edited June 2021
    I like Woldingham but it's a bit too forgiving. No punishment for shocking shots. People frequently playing on the wrong fairway etc...
  • ChiAddick said:
    . People frequently playing on the wrong fairway etc...
    Doesn't do Dechambeau any harm. 

Had it been a cart I may have done,but he was in a buggy,anyway,as someone else has already brought the subject of the new fees up on facebook,no harm in saying we are talking about Gilllingham Golf club.