Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season tickets 2018/19

Comments

• Options

Ours turned up earlier in the week, as I expected they would do and probably as about nearly everybody else’s did. That some may not have or won’t have received theirs by today is just the law of averages at work. On the occasions that match tickets haven’t been delivered I’ve got in touch with the ticket office, they say they will have a replacement ready for collection, I’ve made the effort to get to the ground half hour earlier ‘because we all think there will be a big queue - fuck knows why we should all think that - walked up to the counter and they’ve handed over the ticket, 2 minutes used up and I’ve spent any extra 28 minutes in the bar.

Always another thing for the doom and gloom merchants to moan about but in reality it’s an inconvenience, not a fuckjng disaster

Absolute rubbish.

There is no reason why the club could not send out season tickets earlier.

True. Except I guess they won’t know how many STs to order at first, they’d then have to wait for them to turn up. Somebody has got to personalise the cards and program them and somebody has to put them in an envelope with the correct address on it and make a record that it’s been sent out. I suspect the first of those four things means the cards don’t even reach Charlton until not much before they are sent out at the moment and then if you’ve got 5,000 to dispatch it will take time. Perhaps Airman will know though the cards we get today are probably a bit more complicated than the books were in his day when he was working at the club.
    The distribution of tickets is a fiasco.

You are either an apologist or a wum.

He's both
  • Options
    24000 season tickets just arrived at my house. I only ordered 2!
  • Options
    Do they have to send a new card out each season? Is there no way of updating the card remotely when you purchase a season ticket for the following campaign?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Do they have to send a new card out each season? Is there no way of updating the card remotely when you purchase a season ticket for the following campaign?

That's how my Kent cricket membership works. What i don't get is why those without their season tickets have to faff about queuing up in person to sort out the club's incompetence. Surely a phonecall and an emailed comp is easier
  • Options
    Missed It said:

se9addick said:

That's how my Kent cricket membership works. What i don't get is why those without their season tickets have to faff about queuing up in person to sort out the club's incompetence. Surely a phonecall and an emailed comp is easier
    Given the tight timescale the club will want to assume some of the missing will turn up in the post and reduce the need for duplication. What would concern me is the number of wrong tickets that have been issued. All I know is when I logged on and bought Sunderland tickets, the system had decided I was my father.
  • Options
    Their database is a joke. They sent my season ticket to my mum last year
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Missed It said:

se9addick said:

Given the tight timescale the club will want to assume some of the missing will turn up in the post and reduce the need for duplication. What would concern me is the number of wrong tickets that have been issued. All I know is when I logged on and bought Sunderland tickets, the system had decided I was my father.
    But the tickets are individually barcoded - so what does it matter if the season ticket that the comp is issued for arrived on Saturday morning? You can still only get in once.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Has she only just told you after enjoying a full season of complimentary matches?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Missed It said:

Has she only just told you after enjoying a full season of complimentary matches?
    Maybe not just last season and that's why he chose @Missed It for a username, :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ours turned up earlier in the week, as I expected they would do and probably as about nearly everybody else’s did. That some may not have or won’t have received theirs by today is just the law of averages at work. On the occasions that match tickets haven’t been delivered I’ve got in touch with the ticket office, they say they will have a replacement ready for collection, I’ve made the effort to get to the ground half hour earlier ‘because we all think there will be a big queue - fuck knows why we should all think that - walked up to the counter and they’ve handed over the ticket, 2 minutes used up and I’ve spent any extra 28 minutes in the bar.

Always another thing for the doom and gloom merchants to moan about but in reality it’s an inconvenience, not a fuckjng disaster

Absolute rubbish.

True. Except I guess they won’t know how many STs to order at first, they’d then have to wait for them to turn up. Somebody has got to personalise the cards and program them and somebody has to put them in an envelope with the correct address on it and make a record that it’s been sent out. I suspect the first of those four things means the cards don’t even reach Charlton until not much before they are sent out at the moment and then if you’ve got 5,000 to dispatch it will take time. Perhaps Airman will know though the cards we get today are probably a bit more complicated than the books were in his day when he was working at the club.
    You put the card in a machine and it prints the personal details. Didn’t know how many cards to order? What a load of drivel. You’d have them ordered in for the beginning of July.

Without the booklets it’s actually a shorter process because you don’t have to insert the (individually printed) personalised voucher into the front of the wallet. And there is half the number of five years ago.

Nobody would plan to have the season tickets land in the last few days before the first match and the fact they did go out so late means they had problems with the data or the hardware or they did not put enough resources in to do it earlier.
    As I said, I’ve only walked through the processes of producing credit and debit cards but I imagine charlton’s smart cards are the same. There’s a lead time for the basic cards. The processes of branding, personalising, programming are all separate and if they are doing the last two processes in house then I suspect with 5,000 STs it’s not going to be completed in a short time. Ordering in the cards for the beginning of July assumes you know well in advance how many you want. Under Roland, 6 or 7000 would be a good guess I suppose but with a takeover in the offing, who knows how many will be needed, in fact a takeover today might mean there’s going to be a lot of pissed off potential season ticket purchasers.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Absolute rubbish.

You put the card in a machine and it prints the personal details. Didn’t know how many cards to order? What a load of drivel. You’d have them ordered in for the beginning of July.

Without the booklets it’s actually a shorter process because you don’t have to insert the (individually printed) personalised voucher into the front of the wallet. And there is half the number of five years ago.

Nobody would plan to have the season tickets land in the last few days before the first match and the fact they did go out so late means they had problems with the data or the hardware or they did not put enough resources in to do it earlier.
    As I said, I’ve only walked through the processes of producing credit and debit cards but I imagine charlton’s smart cards are the same. There’s a lead time for the basic cards. The processes of branding, personalising, programming are all separate and if they are doing the last two processes in house then I suspect with 5,000 STs it’s not going to be completed in a short time. Ordering in the cards for the beginning of July assumes you know well in advance how many you want. Under Roland, 6 or 7000 would be a good guess I suppose but with a takeover in the offing, who knows how many will be needed, in fact a takeover today might mean there’s going to be a lot of pissed off potential season ticket purchasers.
    What part of the season starting in August would come as a surprise to them? That’s the fixed point which determines everything else. If you have unexpected demand you issue match tickets, as has been done before, but the cards cost, what, 20p?
  • Options

Absolute rubbish.

They had virtually all those ‘obstacles’ 3 months ago when they had 5 days between the end of the season and the home play off game v Shrewsbury yet managed to get nearly 14,000 out.
    they’re now struggling to achieve a third of this, despite having x18 the time to do it.
    These are personalised and branded smart cards, not print at home tickets. A huge logistical difference I would have thought. I walked through the whole process of credit and debit cards being produced, I doubt there is much difference and for Charlton it’s a one a year exercise, not a 365, 24/7 one
    Just like my work photo ID that gains me automated entry into certain parts of certain buildings at certain times.
    I had to fill in a form (like s/t applicants) and take it to an office (like s/t applicants) and 3 minutes after having my photo taken I have in my hand my new personalised card (unlike s/t applicants).
    Fair enough. Beats me why Charlton didn’t do that then. Was there 5,000 others in the queue for a pass at your work ?
  • Options

Absolute rubbish.

They had virtually all those ‘obstacles’ 3 months ago when they had 5 days between the end of the season and the home play off game v Shrewsbury yet managed to get nearly 14,000 out.
    they’re now struggling to achieve a third of this, despite having x18 the time to do it.
    These are personalised and branded smart cards, not print at home tickets. A huge logistical difference I would have thought. I walked through the whole process of credit and debit cards being produced, I doubt there is much difference and for Charlton it’s a one a year exercise, not a 365, 24/7 one
    Just like my work photo ID that gains me automated entry into certain parts of certain buildings at certain times.
    I had to fill in a form (like s/t applicants) and take it to an office (like s/t applicants) and 3 minutes after having my photo taken I have in my hand my new personalised card (unlike s/t applicants).
    Fair enough. Beats me why Charlton didn’t do that then. Was there 5,000 others in the queue for a pass at your work ?
    Sorry, forget that, just realised 5,000 tickets at 3 minutes a ticket would take 7 weeks to process over a 7 hour working day and a 5 day working week. Your way might not necessarily be better
  • Options

Absolute rubbish.

Are they smart cards though? I thought they just had the details printed on the outside and the scanners read the barcode. In effect aren't they just a piece of dumb plastic? On that basis, no different from printing the old paper inserts.
  • Options
    Whilst a joke that it didn't turn up, I spoke to them for about 30secs and they're printing one to pick up tomorrow - it's not the biggest inconvenience.

To be honest, the club bear the brunt of their crap organisation through having to take more calls, print more duplicate tickets and posting about 3 season tickets for every 1 received.

"He's an apologist, get him!!"
  • Options
    @letthegoodtimesroll question for you, why has every other club in the country managed it without issue?
  • Options

Absolute rubbish.

Sorry, forget that, just realised 5,000 tickets at 3 minutes a ticket would take 7 weeks to process over a 7 hour working day and a 5 day working week. Your way might not necessarily be better
    Which is why you don't leave it until a couple of weeks before the season starts.

if you did it as the orders came in then you could spread out the workload but you are trolling again so why bother to explain to you.
  • Options

Absolute rubbish.

That's if just one person is working on it. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually did only have one person working on it but any sensible organisation would have a surge plan in place to deal with the extra work that comes with issuing season tickets. It's a bit like Christmas, everyone knows when it's happening and it shouldn't come as a surprise!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

@letthegoodtimesroll question for you, why has every other club in the country managed it without issue?

No idea, i’ll take your word for it that they did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Excluding Brentford of course

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2018/august/rotherham-ticket-update-20180805/
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

Excluding Brentford of course

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2018/august/rotherham-ticket-update-20180805/
    Now you’ve done it, we’re going to end up with another 90 similar posts for other clubs...
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Absolute rubbish.

That's if just one person is working on it. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually did only have one person working on it but any sensible organisation would have a surge plan in place to deal with the extra work that comes with issuing season tickets. It's a bit like Christmas, everyone knows when it's happening and it shouldn't come as a surprise!
    I suspect it’s not so much governed by how many people are working on it as how many machines you have that can produce the cards and in all reality that is probably only going to be one - and you hope that doesn’t break down
  • Options

Missed It said:

Absolute rubbish.

I suspect it’s not so much governed by how many people are working on it as how many machines you have that can produce the cards and in all reality that is probably only going to be one - and you hope that doesn’t break down
    The start of the season is a hard deadline, at least it should be. If it has to be done, it has to be done. Start early, work late and don't try to blame the post office again.
  • Options
    I believe the process was outsourced, RD was hoping the take over would be completed so leaving it this late means the new owners would pick up the tab.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Absolute rubbish.

Go and make a cup of tea.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Absolute rubbish.

Go and make a cup of tea.
    Yes boss, milk and two sugars ?
  • Options
    We have a number of 5233 season tickets which we have no reason to doubt. With the amount of duplicates, multiple tickets received, tickets issued to parents or pets and other sundry cock ups, the actual number of genuine ST holders could actually be much lower if the duplicates etc have been counted in the original number.
  • Options
    Still no ticket.

Got to turn up early and hope they've done what they said they would and printed a duplicate.
  • Options
    All these problems, but I have had none, not waiting for the post, not worrying if I have to phone them, not worrying if I have to queue before the game and whether I will get in before the game starts, why, I DID NOT BUY A SEASON TICKET WHILE RD IS IN CHARGE, simple