Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland Out Today Press Release 23 Aug 2018

12346»

Comments

• Options

Just accessed the article in Het Nieuwsblad. The mayor says, roughly: we live in a democracy. Anyone can do it. If people want to set up a political party in this town, who am I to stop them?

Good for him ... but he won’t be invited to any more of Roland’s cocktail parties :wink:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Just accessed the article in Het Nieuwsblad. The mayor says, roughly: we live in a democracy. Anyone can do it. If people want to set up a political party in this town, who am I to stop them?

Good for him ... but he won’t be invited to any more of Roland’s cocktail parties :wink:
    The mayor in Sint Truiden is a woman.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

The mayor in Sint Truiden is a woman.
    Mayor Veerle Heeren; she and her CD&V party have been political allies of Duchâtelet in the past.

The statement from her may be sincere but she may just be paying lip-service
  • Options

Make him/her an honorary member of ROT !!!
  • Options

Well played lads, your continued efforts are much appreciated. Now, IF you could play football, we would be top four Premiership!

And lassies.
    BUT gender does not matter in this wonderful world we live in!
  • Options
    Guys is non specific. I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit peeved if the fairer sex on here only spoke about she or her.

I just prefer 'we'.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Guys is non specific. I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit peeved if the fairer sex on here only spoke about she or her.

I just prefer 'we'.

There is some truth in this, although I think it is a generational thing.

Younger women seem to have bowed to the inevitable and appropriated the term "guys" to include themselves - although in my experience (and I was a secondary school teacher until I retired) young women use it less in single sex company than in mixed company.

It's the stroppy older birds like me, who remember the fight for equality in the second half of the 20th century, who still do not feel included within "guys". However, we know you mean well really!

Interestingly, this exchange has grown out of the (incorrect) assumption that the mayor of St Truiden is a man. I wonder if that assumption about mayors' gender will change if London gets a female mayor? I think the City has already had a female Lord Mayor...
  • Options
    Lady Mayoress surely?

:wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mayoress is the consort of the Mayor - dates from times when the mayor was always a man, and the female (usually his wife) who accompanied him to social events was the mayoress.

These days, if the mayor is female her male companion id not normally called the mayoress, but is given some other title such as the Mayor's companion (varies from place to place)

Wikipedia says:
    Almost 700 people have served as Lord Mayor. Dame Mary Donaldson GBE, elected in 1983, and Dame Fiona Woolf DBE, elected in 2013, are the only women to have held the office. ... Since 1435, the Lord Mayor has been chosen from amongst the Aldermen of the City of London.

So not only were Mary & Fiona LORD Mayors, they were probably also AlderMEN.
    Such is the power of male-dominated HIStory. :smile: