Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Cullen signs on season long loan - on OS

Comments

• Options
    New owners if you exist: signing this boy is a priority. 
    It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham keep hold of him until at least January, or at the minimum the end of the August window as I'm sure their scouts will have been impressed with how he's played for us. He's 23 now so if he's going to play for West Ham you'd think it would be now
  • Options
    Wise not to build up our hopes.

Word is that Pellegrini wants Josh back next season
    Not surprised. Frankly, just enjoy watching him play for these next few games because I'm sure his future lies away from us at a higher level next season. And Mark Noble can't go on for ever and from what I've seen of Cullen I'd fancy that he will be given the chance to succeed Noble.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Amazingly, a number of players who were being more or less written off have all seemed to have found some very decent form of late, making the bench very respectable indeed.
    A nice problem for LB and Jacko to have.
  • Options
    Surprised we've not had the usual "if he doesn't want to be here, he can feck off" nonsense from a few posters.

Steve Gallen said that he was optimistic that we could loan Cullen (and Bielik) again next season if we were in the Championship as West Ham (and Arsenal) were happy with the progress and game time the players were getting here.

The emergence of Declan Rice must have pushed Cullen down the pecking order but we also have JFC almost fit (and out of contract).
  • Options
    Cullen has been excellent and good luck to him if he tries to fight for a 1st team place at WHam next season, can't see him getting any game-time there myself. A fully fit JFC is on a par if not slightly better than Cullen IMO
  • Options
    Surprised we've not had the usual "if he doesn't want to be here, he can feck off" nonsense from a few posters.

Steve Gallen said that he was optimistic that we could loan Cullen (and Bielik) again next season if we were in the Championship as West Ham (and Arsenal) were happy with the progress and game time the players were getting here.

The emergence of Declan Rice must have pushed Cullen down the pecking order but we also have JFC almost fit (and out of contract).
    Cant imagine Declan Rice being at West Ham for long though - Especially as Man City see him as a long term replacement for Fernandinho (if you believe the press gossip) and will be an easy option for them to add to their home grown quota
  • Options
    Cullen has been excellent and good luck to him if he tries to fight for a 1st team place at WHam next season, can't see him getting any game-time there myself. A fully fit JFC is on a par if not slightly better than Cullen IMO
    Will depend how he comes back once fully fit, ACL is hard to come back and be the same player as before, look at Billy Clarke for example
  • Options
    Will depend how he comes back once fully fit, ACL is hard to come back and be the same player as before, look at Billy Clarke for example
    Clarke had age against him though

Not to mention its taken Jake just eight months to recover whilst took Clarke about a year
  • Options
    Good player but don't think he's ready for the prem. Assuming we go up I think getting him and Bielik on loan would be good for everyone. 
  • Options
    I think we would have a great chance of keeping them for another season in the Championship. They are both well above League One.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Williams - four of the best five midfielders in League One!
  • Options
    Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Williams - four of the best five midfielders in League One!
    Agree with the first 3, but Williams isn't at that level imo, he is incredible on the ball but final product lets him down quite a bit for me - he also has scored like 3 career goals or something stupid. An Attacking midfielder should be chipping in with 8-12 a season for me
  • Options
    Spot on. And if we don't go up, not one of them will be here next year.

And thanks to Roland, even if we do go up, I doubt more than 2 of them will be here next here. Probably less actually.
  • Options
    Agree with the first 3, but Williams isn't at that level imo, he is incredible on the ball but final product lets him down quite a bit for me - he also has scored like 3 career goals or something stupid. An Attacking midfielder should be chipping in with 8-12 a season for me
    Agree, if we went up I would love a midfield of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and then an attacking midfielder. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019

And thanks to Roland, even if we do go up, I doubt more than 2 of them will be here next here. Probably less actually.
    Sadly, you are 100% correct if we don't keep Bowyer. If we do and go up, we might keep them all - or at least three of them!
  • Options
    Is Pratley the 5th?
  • Options
    I genuinely think Beilik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams are top end Championship players, Sarr maybe in that range too.  Taylor, Vet, Bauer, Pearce, Phillips all good squad players for that level.  If we kept em all (we wont), and got new owners with a few bob to spend (we wont) we would have half a chance up there.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Wise not to build up our hopes.

Word is that Pellegrini wants Josh back next season
    Maybe they’ll get him in for pre season to have a look but I think having him around the first team squad is fanciful. He’s a good player but he ain’t Premier League ready
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I genuinely think Beilik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams are top end Championship players, Sarr maybe in that range too.  Taylor, Vet, Bauer, Pearce, Phillips all good squad players for that level.  If we kept em all (we wont), and got new owners with a few bob to spend (we wont) we would have half a chance up there.
    Yes, you can never guarantee a win in the play offs, but having the players we have gives us potentially a great chance to kick on. If we do get new owners and Bowyer stays, I think we could be well placed to succeed in the Championship with a small number of additions of suitable quality. It is very precarious though. For starters, how are we going to get the new owners we need if Duchatelet doesn't lower his price to something reasonable?
  • Options

That's hardly fair (much as I hate sticking up for Roland). The Aribo situation is a disgrace, but the other 3 are 2 loan signings from PL sides that we'd never realistically sign on a permanent, and a short term signing from a PL club.

Indeed as 3 of them came in this season, that suggests that our recruitment is pretty good. Not giving Roland any credit for that obviously, but can hardly blame him when they go back
  • Options

That's hardly fair (much as I hate sticking up for Roland). The Aribo situation is a disgrace, but the other 3 are 2 loan signings from PL sides that we'd never realistically sign on a permanent, and a short term signing from a PL club.

Indeed as 3 of them came in this season, that suggests that our recruitment is pretty good. Not giving Roland any credit for that obviously, but can hardly blame him when they go back
    Take your point - it's a fair one - but what I was trying to say is even if we go up, it would take a few bob to keep Bielik and Cullen even if Arsenal and West Ham were prepared to extend their loans.  I just can't see Roland putting his hand in his pocket to keep them when all he is interested in is cutting costs.
  • Options
    Shame that, but was a good experience for him and benefited us hugely. 

He'll go on to be in the West Ham first-team next season I'm sure. Or a top Championship club. 
  • Options
    Hopefully we get him back. 
  • Options
    That looks very much clear a farewell to us.... :cry:
  • Options
    Superb player
  • Options
    Bye Bye Josh!

Hopefully JFC will be back up to it next season... Different player to Cullen, but similar in some ways.