Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Cullen signs on season long loan - on OS

12346»

Comments

• Options
    It's such a simple situation and we shouldn't be surprised by nature of the 'goodbye' message. He has the opportunity to break into a Premier League squad and is backing himself to do it, fair play. He leaves on the highest of highs, his passion and performances in many games this season make him a fans fav. The celebration in the final alone, he was the first man to Jacko. He clearly cared about the club and had a great bond with players/fans. And as for the assist...

Assuming (big assumption) money isnt a factor in being able to get him back on a potential loan, the 3 scenarios are simple:

- He has a blinder of a pre-season with West Ham and makes matchday squads. Goes on to have a Prem career and personally I'd be buzzing for him if he did
    - He has a decent enough pre-season to turn heads, makes the odd squad/cup game but by Jan aint happy with playing time. I am convinced he would welcome the idea of being back here as he seems to have enjoyed our setup  and being part of this team
    - West Ham don't fancy him over pre-season, he becomes available for loan at the end of the window and we're in the mixer for him if he wants to be loaned out to the Champ for same reason above
    There is an option 4: West Ham don't fancy him, and as he is in the last year of his contract, West Ham decide to cash in, rather than he leave on a free. I'm not necessarily saying that we would (or even if we could afford him), but it is an option.
  • Options
    Cullen is a very neat and tidy player, with a good head on his shoulders and a very nice touch and awareness.

However you do wonder if he has the pace and physicality for the PL - hope he does, but West Ham are sure to bring in some more players this summer, and breaking into the First XI will be very, very difficult.
  • Options
    Cullen is a very neat and tidy player, with a good head on his shoulders and a very nice touch and awareness.

However you do wonder if he has the pace and physicality for the PL - hope he does, but West Ham are sure to bring in some more players this summer, and breaking into the First XI will be very, very difficult.
    I think a lot rests on what happens to Declan Rice. He gets sold for big money, the door opens for Cullen (particularly as Noble can't go on for much longer). Rice stays and we might hopefully see him back. 
  • Options
    Hope we do see him back, but as all on here will know, there is a huge gap between L1 and the Premier League.

With us he has (mainly) been playing on the front foot, getting us going forward, away from home in the PL, is much more about doing the dirty work, tracking runs, breaking up play and making tackles etc.

Like I say I hope he does make it, but I am not convinced he will.
  • Options

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him back come the start of the season, he'll get a crack at WH in pre-season, but not sure he's a premier league level player.

Would love to see him sign for us....as well as Belik (another years loan) as I'm sure given time he'll play for Arsenal.

• Options
    The thinking man's Richie Bowman , love him , didn't stop running and can pick a pass !
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    25May98 said:
    He looked very small on the big Wembley pitch. Can’t help thinking maybe too small for the Prem?
    Kante seems to get on just fine 
    Messi survives too. 

Josh will Always be welcome at the Valley. He will always be remembered as a hard working honest (and quality) young man who gave one the greatest assists ever in Charlton’s history. 
    Did he? When was that?

Certainly didn't assist Bauer's goal, that was off Bauer's head, against a Sunderland player, then Bauer struck it again for it to deflect in...

I mean i get the sentiment and it was an important pass, but let's not over egg the pudding.
    I bit harsh IMO, some quality interplay with Aribo and a top draw cross onto Bauers nut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    25May98 said:
    He looked very small on the big Wembley pitch. Can’t help thinking maybe too small for the Prem?
    Kante seems to get on just fine 
    Messi survives too. 

Josh will Always be welcome at the Valley. He will always be remembered as a hard working honest (and quality) young man who gave one the greatest assists ever in Charlton’s history. 
    Did he? When was that?

Certainly didn't assist Bauer's goal, that was off Bauer's head, against a Sunderland player, then Bauer struck it again for it to deflect in...

I mean i get the sentiment and it was an important pass, but let's not over egg the pudding.
    I bit harsh IMO, some quality interplay with Aribo and a top draw cross onto Bauers nut.
    Which Bauer didn't score from. He scored from the deflected back block.

Lil Josh doesn't wish to play for us at the next level up when he's clearly not a Premier League player. So stuff the little bugger.

*Just saying all this so he proves me wrong by re-signing for us.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Will struggle to get in over Declan rice I would have thought.
    I’m guessing Cullen is aiming for a spot in the West Ham squad rather than the starting XI
    If he doesn't get to play regularly it'd surely hinder his career and development as a footballer. Last night I had a few exchanges with a West Ham fan that manages a very popular Chinese West Ham social media account and when I asked about the possibility of Cullen making their team she said he could get involved in pre-season and cup games at best. It seems playing well in  a third placed League One side isn't convincing enough to West Ham supporters.
    Never underestimate the self confidence of a professional footballer, it’s one of the main things that got them where they are against enormous odds. I have no doubt that Cullen believes he could become part of the West Ham squad and then try and break into the team from there. Whether he does or not isn’t really relevant. 
  • Options

Really? He is literally like a young Mark Noble and he hasn’t done too badly? Scott Parker wasn’t exactly quick? 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    He’s a good player and I’d like him to come back but think some of the praise is over board. He has a slim chance of making the Hammers bench half a dozen times next year - otherwise he will be playing in the Championship.

Giving me Jay Dasilva vibes...
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Really? He is literally like a young Mark Noble and he hasn’t done too badly? Scott Parker wasn’t exactly quick? 
    Scott Parker was very quick which is why he won so many tackles.
  • Options
    I think he'll play Prem football eventually, but I see it being more likely by playing for a team that wins promotion from the Championship (hopefully us...). West Ham could go out and buy a midfielder for £10/20m+ and he'll find it difficult to break through.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Not sure how old you are, or how much of Scotty you saw, but he was very quick over 15-20 yards, and you very rarely saw anybody run past him.

You have to remember that Parker, played for England in a major tournament, captained them and played well over 400 games in the PL.

Cullen may go on to have a similar career, but it is worth noting that SP was well established in a PL first XI by the age that Cullen is now - if you wanted to take the comparison further.
  • Options
    I think he's up to Prem standard but certainly not for the top clubs.