Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options

Leach is opening with Burns. Jennings the bottler!

The Surrey batsman is more disposable
  • Options
    That does, of course, mean that, unless we change the order, our top four will all be left handers
  • Options
    Leach survives the only over of the day for us
  • Options
    Really don't get sending Leach in. If Jennings is incapable of surviving one over then he shouldn't be out there.

Not only do we have a top four that are all left handers but it hands the initiative to SL. We also now have the potential situation of our top scorer from the first innings coming in at 9 with only Rashid and Anderson to bat after him.
  • Options

When was the last time 4 English spinners each took a wicket in an Innings?

It doesn't happen too often that a seamer doesn't take a wicket for us in a completed innings either.

Last time the spinners took all the wickets taken by bowlers for England in a Test innings was 1962
    And it still is
  • Options

Really don't get sending Leach in. If Jennings is incapable of surviving one over then he shouldn't be out there.

Not only do we have a top four that are all left handers but it hands the initiative to SL. We also now have the potential situation of our top scorer from the first innings coming in at 9 with only Rashid and Anderson to bat after him.

Hasn't Jennings been under the lid, crouched down all day? Probably stiff!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It doesn't happen too often that a seamer doesn't take a wicket for us in a completed innings either.

Last time the spinners took all the wickets taken by bowlers for England in a Test innings was 1962
    And it still is
    You sure about that?
  • Options

Leuth said:

And it still is
    You sure about that?
    Unless run outs have been recategorised as spin bowling, yes
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Hasn't Jennings been under the lid, crouched down all day? Probably stiff!
    Not towards the end he wasn't. Even so, Burns bats at 1 and just blocks as Leach did. No need to muck about with the order or have four left handers up top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

And it still is
    You sure about that?
    Karunaratne was run out by Stokes.
  • Options
    I can understand the logic of having Leach play out the one over. Why risk one of your main batsmen?

It's a good opportunity for Leach as well, indeed I'm slightly surprised Sam Curran didn't volunteer, unless the England management thought he was too good to risk?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

And it still is
    You sure about that?
    I've highlighted "all the wickets taken by bowlers" in bold which is what I originally stated. So, does all the "wickets taken by bowlers" include run outs?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think we need Andrew Samson for that one.
    And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    The last time 4 spinners took a wicket in a Test innings for England before today was v India at Madras in 1962 (Lock, Allen, Parfitt & Barber)
  • Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

And it still is
    You sure about that?
    I've highlighted "all the wickets taken by bowlers" in bold which is what I originally stated. So, does all the "wickets taken by bowlers" include run outs?
    Sorry I missed your qualification there AA.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    The last time 4 spinners took a wicket in a Test innings for England before today was v India at Madras in 1962 (Lock, Allen, Parfitt & Barber)
    And guess what? There was a run out in that innings too!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    So?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    So?
    See above
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Got confirmation that I've been successful in the Surrey ballot for next summer's England matches which is good news!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    So?
    See above
    I saw above, just don't see the relevance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    There is another possibility going around:

England v West Indies 1976 at The Oval
    Underwood, Miller, Balderstone and Tony Grieg who sometimes bowled Off-spinners. He famously did this at Port of Spain in 1973/4 when he opened the bowling with his medium pace and then switched to off spin later. He took 13 wickets in the match. I remember the match at the Oval in 1976 as well as can be expected for such a long time ago but don't recall Greig bowling anything but his normal style.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    So?
    See above
    I saw above, just don't see the relevance.
    The relevance is that this was the match that I was referring to when I mentioned that it was the last time all wickets taken by bowlers were as a result of balls delivered by spinners. And both that innings and SL's here included a run out.

• Options

Amazing that before the match there were suggestions that the pitch here would be more seam friendly than the one at Galle!

Traditionally it is... so earlier in the series there was talk of swapping a seamer for a spinner.

Once they saw the pitch they said straight away 3 spinners was needed.
  • Options

Got confirmation that I've been successful in the Surrey ballot for next summer's England matches which is good news!

Thought you were a Kent fan ??!!

How did you do for the ballot for the Canterbury test matche(s) ?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

ha ha, sadly I have to frequent The Oval to watch England internationals. It pains me that every beer I buy is helping Surrey poach yet another bowler from another county!
  • Options

4 of us applied and at least 3 of the 4 have been successful. Don't know about the 4th yet.
  • Options
    I've got tickets for the 1st day of The Ashes at Edgbaston. Will get Lords and Oval through my contacts. Carrying on my run of attending at least one day of every home Ashes series for 46 years. The last series I missed was 1968.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

ha ha, sadly I have to frequent The Oval to watch England internationals. It pains me that every beer I buy is helping Surrey poach yet another bowler from another county!
    So, as a Surrey fan, i was unsuccessful in the ballot.
    Do you think that is right?

However, i was successful for the Canterbury Test match.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    There is another possibility going around:

England v West Indies 1976 at The Oval
    Underwood, Miller, Balderstone and Tony Grieg who sometimes bowled Off-spinners. He famously did this at Port of Spain in 1973/4 when he opened the bowling with his medium pace and then switched to off spin later. He took 13 wickets in the match. I remember the match at the Oval in 1976 as well as can be expected for such a long time ago but don't recall Greig bowling anything but his normal style.
    No surprise there - Viv Richards scored 291, so anyone who could turn their arm over did in that game! 9 bowlers, including Willey and Steele, both spinners without a wicket. In PoS, Grieg bowled off-cutters, not spin.