Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

Aussie women won by 8 wickets with 29 balls to spare. Pretty comprehensive victory for them.

We were absolute garbage, from start to finish!

• Options

Dare i say it, but England seem to be moulding into a very competent unit. All it really needs is for Burns to step up and cement his place. We seem to have strength in depth in most positions now.
    OK, might sugest that this is only SL with most of their world class players recently retired, but its also the same team that beat SA earlier this year.

We have done better than I expected. The spinners have surprised me. Yes they have the surface but there also playing a team who play spin well so credit to all 3 of them. They have all had decent spells at some point.

Seam department is decent. Still need to find a quality 90mph one though. Curran and Woakes are potentially two quality all rounders, one because of age and one already on the right surface.

Don’t agree we are a great unit though. Our batting is still very weak. We have forced Bairstow and Stokes into the top 5. Openers are still poor, Burns has looked out of his depth in all but one innings. Jennings has done ok but on the surface he seems to favour.

We will still get blown away on any decent bowling track and seem no closer to finding any answers.
  • Options
    210-7 at tea and a lead of 306
  • Options
    They've just shown Sandakan deliver half a dozen no balls in the 1st session that haven't been called. WTF are the umpires doing? Relying on the 3rd Umpire when there's a wicket and ignoring the rest?

That's unfair on both the bowlers and the batsmen.
  • Options

Aussie women won by 8 wickets with 29 balls to spare. Pretty comprehensive victory for them.

We were absolute garbage, from start to finish!

I didnt think Nat Sciver was out
  • Options
    The umpiring in this Test has been really poor.

• Options

They've just shown Sandakan deliver half a dozen no balls in the 1st session that haven't been called. WTF are the umpires doing? Relying on the 3rd Umpire when there's a wicket and ignoring the rest?

Apparently 40% of the balls he bowled in one spell were no balls with none getting picked up. This needs looking into .
  • Options

Apparently 40% of the balls he bowled in one spell were no balls with none getting picked up. This needs looking into .
    These aren't fast bowlers, they are spinners bowling off four or five paces and there is absolutely no excuse for it happening.

I have to be careful what I say here but, if you knew that your country was under investigation for fixing, wouldn't you, as a bowler, ensure that you had both feet behind the line to avoid suspicion?
  • Options
    230 all out and a lead of 326
  • Options
    Time to move Foakes up and Moeen down in the batting order. As it is, we are left with Foakes getting stuck between a "rock and a hard place" in that he isn't someone who naturally tees off so ends up turning down loads of singles. Whereas it is Moeen's natural game to do so.

In fact, I could see a situation a situation in the future where Foakes bats at 5 with Stokes at 6 and Buttler at 7.

Still doesn't solve our issue with the openers though. Both Burns and Jennings deserve the opportunity to prove themselves in all conditions but the jury is still very much out so far as they are concerned. As it could be said about Bairstow at 3 but as the first batsman to do so in that position to hit a century for two years in that position he should be persevered with there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey Broad where's your radar? Watch out for the straight one SL openers!
  • Options

Time to move Foakes up and Moeen down in the batting order. As it is, we are left with Foakes getting stuck between a "rock and a hard place" in that he isn't someone who naturally tees off so ends up turning down loads of singles. Whereas it is Moeen's natural game to do so.

In fact, I could see a situation a situation in the future where Foakes bats at 5 with Stokes at 6 and Buttler at 7.

Still doesn't solve our issue with the openers though. Both Burns and Jennings deserve the opportunity to prove themselves in all conditions but the jury is still very much out so far as they are concerned. As it could be said about Bairstow at 3 but as the first batsman to do so in that position to hit a century for two years in that position he should be persevered with there.

I agree. Would definitely go with Stokes at 5, Buttler at 6, Foakes at 7 and Ali at 8. 2 out of Woakes, Curran, Broad and Rashid at 9 and 10.

With Root at 4, we just need to sort out the top 3. Bairstow has to be one of them so we are 2 decent batsman away from becoming one of the best in the world. Would still struggle in Australia and would probably get beaten comfortably in India but would see us being very competitive for the most part.
  • Options

I agree. Would definitely go with Stokes at 5, Buttler at 6, Foakes at 7 and Ali at 8. 2 out of Woakes, Curran, Broad and Rashid at 9 and 10.

With Root at 4, we just need to sort out the top 3. Bairstow has to be one of them so we are 2 decent batsman away from becoming one of the best in the world. Would still struggle in Australia and would probably get beaten comfortably in India but would see us being very competitive for the most part.
    The way we've played in this series, I think we should be competitive in India, both with the bat and bowling. I'm more worried about our top order against decent pace attacks in helpful conditions, whether it's bounce or movement. Not convinced by Bairstow walking out at 9-1 against Starc, Rababa etc
  • Options

I think this too. If we were to lose by just a few runs then I'll be fuming. A no ball results in a penalty run....ALL THE TIME.
  • Options

The way we've played in this series, I think we should be competitive in India, both with the bat and bowling. I'm more worried about our top order against decent pace attacks in helpful conditions, whether it's bounce or movement. Not convinced by Bairstow walking out at 9-1 against Starc, Rababa etc
    All 3 of our spinners have done well, but I don't think this Sri Lankan team is any better then decent. I still think India would score runs against this team on home soil and those runs would be hard to chase down.

100% agree regarding us against pace. Root would practically be opening and we need to find 1/2 quick.
  • Options
    Stokes is scaring the life out of some of these SL batsmen. Sandakan has just pre-empted the bouncer and ended up limboing under the ball.
  • Options
    53-4 at close of play
  • Options
    53-4 Stokes bowled one which the batsman pushed to mid on , when Stokes realised he didnt have a fielder there, so he legged it all the way to the boundary, dived, and just saved 1 run - incredible fitness and dedication - could you imagine Willis or Tuffers doing the same ?!

3 BIG plusses out of this series...
    Emergence of Foakes (well done Canters, been saying it for a long time)
    The left arm quick that we have been looking for , plus his batting.
    The possible solution to the seemingly perennial problem position at No 3.
    As well, of course, of wining the series.
  • Options
    Sl effectively 110 for their last 12 wickets. Stokes now has 5-90 in the series whereas the rest of our seamers have figures of 2-202 - spinners have taken more wickets here than in any other 3 match series in the history of Test cricket.
  • Options

53-4 Stokes bowled one which the batsman pushed to mid on , when Stokes realised he didnt have a fielder there, so he legged it all the way to the boundary, dived, and just saved 1 run - incredible fitness and dedication - could you imagine Willis or Tuffers doing the same ?!

3 BIG plusses out of this series...
    Emergence of Foakes (well done Canters, been saying it for a long time)
    The left arm quick that we have been looking for , plus his batting.
    The possible solution to the seemingly perennial problem position at No 3.
    As well, of course, of wining the series.

A major plus to me is being competitive in Asia. Yes Sri Lanka are a poor team, but we have competitive spinners now and batsmen who at least have an idea on how to survive and score runs in these conditions, albeit still not enough.

Jennings to me is a definite pick in Asia, but not convinced he's good enough against pace bowling. Bairstow needs to keep scoring big runs to cement his place if he's only in the team for his batting. Burns is still a question mark too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dickie Bird must be turning in his grave. Was it 6 decisions overturned in a day and over 20 no balls not called?

I know the tech is better now but nonetheless that’s an atrocious set of figures for the umps who must now be a bit worried about their test status?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Dickie Bird must be turning in his grave. Was it 6 decisions overturned in a day and over 20 no balls not called?

I know the tech is better now but nonetheless that’s an atrocious set of figures for the umps who must now be a bit worried about their test status?

You're a bit premature. Dickie Bird is still alive!
  • Options
    Long live Dickie
  • Options
    From 82-5 to 166-5
    Sri Lanka need 161 more to win
    Mendis 77 not out
    Silva 39 not out
  • Options
    As good a run out as you are ever likely to see.....OOTW!!!!
  • Options
    Will Moeen complete his series of world-class jug avoidance (not that he drinks or anything)?
  • Options
    Sri Lanka make it to tea, 43 runs needed to win, England need 1 wicket
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO44250

New Zealand somehow subside from 50-0 and 61-1 to 90 all out! Williamson 28no, numbers 4 to 11 contribute 5 runs between them! Yasir 8-41...
  • Options

England win by 42 runs with the 100th dismissal to spin of the series.

Thoroughly successful but, more to the point, enjoyable series where both batsman and bowlers from both sides had to work really hard to assert. And that is what Test cricket should be all about.

I'd agree with that. A nice result, but a good competitive series.