Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• edited January 2019
    That would be my team. Unfortunately I can’t see them dropping Jennings. Rashid shouldn’t be playing Test matches outside of the sub continent.

Moeen needs to bat no higher than eight and focus on his spin bowling because I would not be putting him in the team as a batsman anymore. He can bowl better than Leach but at present I don’t believe that to be the case.

Lastly, Curran looked lost when taking the new ball and Broad should be back in the side.
  • Real shame that Burns didnt push on for the hundred.
  • Burns was flashing at anything and everything chasing the wide ball in a match where he just needed to stay there, it might not be entertaining leaving the ball match situation required a bit more control imo .
  • Burns was flashing at anything and everything chasing the wide ball in a match where he just needed to stay there, it might not be entertaining leaving the ball match situation required a bit more control imo .

He top scored - by quite a long way.

He top scored - by quite a long way.
    40 off 400 balls would have been better , realistically we were never going to make that total .
    Jennings top scored in the first innings .
    He was top scorer amongst a load of shite .
    It’s test cricket, occupying time sensibly at the crease is whats required .

• edited January 2019
    Can hardly call 17, even if it was top score, an achievement, can you?
    Cant believe you are picking out the guy who top scored by quite a long way for not spending longer at the crease !
  • 134-1 to 246 all out.

I was right with my calypso callapso then !!

Drop Jennings & Ali & bring in players who actually know which end of the bat to hold. Fecking useless !!!
  • Can hardly call 17, even if it was top score, an achievement, can you?
    Cant believe you are picking out the guy who top scored by quite a long way for not spending longer at the crease !

I’m saying it was a streaky innings and he was lucky to last as long as he did .
    I presume you didn’t see it cos if you had you’d understand where I’m coming from , think Moeen but with luck !
    I don’t expect him to be chanceless but when he’s waving his bat at balls a yard outside the off stump I think that’s ridiculous with the match situation we were in .

• The way the pitch played today, suddenly there's a realistic chance of play on Day 5!

Today’s play showed that we SHOULD have taken this easily into the 5th day. That was a dead pitch, nothing for the seamers and no spin either.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Ignoring the clear stupidity if not playing Broad, the fact is that our batsmen were appalling.

I asked myself this question - if I had a gun to my head, how would I describe each of our so called top to middle order batsmen against the best bowling attacks in the world on difficult tracks to bat on i.e. Test, One Day, both or neither. This is what I came up with:

Jennings - neither
    Burns - neither (Test yet to be proven)
    Bairstow - one day
    Root - both
    Stokes - one day
    Buttler - one day
    Foakes - one day (Test yet to be proven)
    Ali - neither

It is no coincidence that only one of those averages 40 plus in Tests - Root. Without being over critical, the issue with Root is that his average of 49.87 is made up of not that many 100s when compared to the number of times he has reached 50 (15 vs 41). So, he will, more often than not get a 50 but not regularly, by comparison, convert. The best batsman in the world, Kohli, for example, has 25 100s vs 15 50s.

Having said that, if we had 5 Test batsmen that averaged 50 I wouldn't even be talking about Root. It is that ability to "dig in" and "bat and bat" that is missing but quite how we produce batsmen that do that when all the emphasis is nowadays on run rates is difficult to see.

I doubt that you will find many county academy sessions that are geared towards survival and recognising the ball that you shouldn't be throwing your hands at as opposed to sessions that are all about "can I hit this ball for 6, if not 4, if not 2 etc etc". And therein lies the problem. T20s and one day games, for counties, is where the money is. Not 4 day Championship matches.
  • How about us poor souls that were there to witness it.My opinion is that too many of our players are playing one day cricket or T20..We made an average bowler in Roach look like Malcolm Marshall because we were trying to hit every ball for four.He didnt get us out we got ourselves out with trying to play every ball..Same as Chase a part time spinner.We got ourselves out by silly shot selection.we need players that dig in and play ugly cricket like Sir Geoffrey and Chris Tavare.Time to find some proper TEST players instead of trying to fit in to many allrounders and sloggers.As for Broad been left out?? Unbeilivable.Roit fucked up big time there.Stick to test cricket Root.playing one day cricket is having an effect on your test Career.
  • Was at a dinner with Gary Sobers tonight. He was very critical of Broad being left out. Top man.

Best all rounder I have seen, Gary Sobers was not bad either
  • Was at a dinner with Gary Sobers tonight. He was very critical of Broad being left out. Top man.

Anyone hear the TMS piece on 'The Sobers ball' during the India series?

Basically ended up that someone had paid £26,000 for the wrong ball because everyone thought it was the 6 sixes ball.

• Ignoring the clear stupidity if not playing Broad, the fact is that our batsmen were appalling.

I asked myself this question - if I had a gun to my head, how would I describe each of our so called top to middle order batsmen against the best bowling attacks in the world on difficult tracks to bat on i.e. Test, One Day, both or neither. This is what I came up with:

Jennings - neither
    Bairstow - one day
    Root - both
    Stokes - one day
    Buttler - one day
    Ali - neither

It is no coincidence that only one of those averages 40 plus in Tests - Root. Without being over critical, the issue with Root is that his average of 49.87 is made up of not that many 100s when compared to the number of times he has reached 50 (15 vs 41). So, he will, more often than not get a 50 but not regularly, by comparison, convert. The best batsman in the world, Kohli, for example, has 25 100s vs 15 50s.

Having said that, if we had 5 Test batsmen that averaged 50 I wouldn't even be talking about Root. It is that ability to "dig in" and "bat and bat" that is missing but quite how we produce batsmen that do that when all the emphasis is nowadays on run rates is difficult to see.

I doubt that you will find many county academy sessions that are geared towards survival and recognising the ball that you shouldn't be throwing your hands at as opposed to sessions that are all about "can I hit this ball for 6, if not 4, if not 2 etc etc". And therein lies the problem. T20s and one day games, for counties, is where the money is. Not 4 day Championship matches.

Good post other than I don't see how Foakes can be classed as a one day batsman.
  • Ignoring the clear stupidity if not playing Broad, the fact is that our batsmen were appalling.

Jennings - neither
    Bairstow - one day
    Root - both
    Stokes - one day
    Buttler - one day
    Ali - neither

Good post other than I don't see how Foakes can be classed as a one day batsman.
    You're probably right regarding international one day cricket as he is unproven at that level so I probably was a bit premature in considering him an established international one day player.

However, his county one day and T20 averages/strike rate do stand up to scrutiny for someone who might not bat in the top six. Having said that, he is probably, from a Test perspective, the one player I would be comfortable batting higher up the order at say 5 simply because, as he proved in Sri Lanka in difficult conditions, he has the desire to just bat and not give it up to easily.

Jennings - neither
    Bairstow - one day
    Root - both
    Stokes - one day
    Buttler - one day
    Ali - neither

So true
  • BR3red said:

Btw

Odds on the Arsenal Man U game were very poor in play so looked at the test march

Put 60 quid on Windies win to get 9 quid back

Getting a tad worried now.. NOT

For what possible reason would you do that hahaha
    To get 2 free pints yesterday for pressing a couple of times on my phone - simples!
  • Sponsored links:

• Edit - just checked my account - I must have forgotten to do it !!!!!
  • As the NZ series has exactly the same lack of preparation as this series, expect another hammering in the 1st Test
  • Joe Denly playing tomorrow according to Kent CC Twitter - presumably instead of Jennings
  • Joe Denly playing tomorrow according to Kent CC Twitter - presumably instead of Jennings

Indeed he is.
    Broad and leach also included in 12 man squad.
    Rashid returns to England.
  • Brutal but fair on Rashid

Knowing England they'll drop Jimmy to strengthen the batting!

It'll be interesting what our bowling attack will be. Denly adds a spin option, so dropping Rashid would be the obvious change
  • Considering Jennings only averages about 35 in 1st class cricket unless he starts next season with a couple of centuries I doubt he will get near an England squad in the foreseeable future.
    Denly deserves his chance now.
  • They've rewarded Jennings' mediocrity far too many times. Soft runs when miles ahead of the game against SL can't mask his consistent failings. He needs to score really big in county cricket to get back now
  • Considering Jennings only averages about 35 in 1st class cricket unless he starts next season with a couple of centuries I doubt he will get near an England squad in the foreseeable future.
    Denly deserves his chance now.

So, the " Home Counties" lads to open tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that this latest pairing are a big success.