Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Mo Signs!!!!!

Will add some much needed experience to our young squad !
  • Uboat said:

Why is it that other clubs won't let a player go until the replacement has signed, but we just wave Karlan off then start looking around hopefully?

Like Sunderland and Maja?
    Exactly.

I keep saying this, yes Roland is useless and we all want him gone, but you cant blame him for every little detail.

Whoever our owner was would have sold Grant and more than likely before a replacement was brought it as the offer was there, they cant wait incase he got injured or Huddersfield found another target.

People who wait for replacements are usually loans not permanent deals.
    I can blame Roland for not having a proper CEO in position and allowing about 8 players contracts to be running out this summer.
    Had Grants contract not been about to expire we could of either kept him or sold him for more money
    I agree and have said before he should have been offered the contract in the summer,

What I am saying is you cant blame Roland for selling amd taking the money now and not letring him go for a minimal fee in the summer and you cant blame him for selling before a replacement was bought in as stated above Sunderland did the same with Maja
    I can certainly blame him for taking the money, and trousering it, rather than giving the proceeds to Bowyer and Gallen, having told them in advance of the window that this would be his plan, so that they earmarked players they could move for, if Grant's move went through.

But should we be surprised ( a different question) ? No, not if anyone was paying attention to his last 12 months as owner of Standard Liege.

Uboat said:

Why is it that other clubs won't let a player go until the replacement has signed, but we just wave Karlan off then start looking around hopefully?

Exactly.

I keep saying this, yes Roland is useless and we all want him gone, but you cant blame him for every little detail.

Whoever our owner was would have sold Grant and more than likely before a replacement was brought it as the offer was there, they cant wait incase he got injured or Huddersfield found another target.

I can blame Roland for not having a proper CEO in position and allowing about 8 players contracts to be running out this summer.
    Had Grants contract not been about to expire we could of either kept him or sold him for more money
    I agree and have said before he should have been offered the contract in the summer,

What I am saying is you cant blame Roland for selling amd taking the money now and not letring him go for a minimal fee in the summer and you cant blame him for selling before a replacement was bought in as stated above Sunderland did the same with Maja
    I can certainly blame him for taking the money, and trousering it, rather than giving the proceeds to Bowyer and Gallen, having told them in advance of the window that this would be his plan, so that they earmarked players they could move for, if Grant's move went through.

But should we be surprised ( a different question) ? No, not if anyone was paying attention to his last 12 months as owner of Standard Liege.
    exactly
  • Look, far be it from me to defend Roland, but I think the Grant contract situation is a little different. Although I know I wasn’t the only one who still saw potential in him, prior to the Crawley loan, he’d not exactly set the world alight anywhere. He did have a good spell there that pushed him into Bowyer’s plans for the season, and that gave renewed hope he might finally have an impact here, but there were certainly not guarantees and I don’t think anyone saw the half season he’s just had coming.

With this summers shenanigans hanging over him a little bit too, he was in the last chance saloon this season and I think in August, him being released as a reject this coming summer looked much more likely than him being sold to a club in a higher division. From that perspective you can’t blame the club for not tying him down sooner as they probably wanted to retain the option of easily releasing him.

He’s had such a good season so far though he suddenly became in demand and it became too late for us to secure him on a longer deal because we could never match what someone like Huddersfield could offer.

Perhaps the contract offer should have been on the table back in September when he’d only scored a few goals and probably wasn’t on the radar of teams higher up the leagues yet but I think the club can be forgiven for being caught off guard a little bit by just how well he’s done this season.

Someone like Aribo however, well we’ve known how good he is for quite a while now. That deal should’ve been done by now.

What you say suggests some sort of planning. I am not convinced there has been any planning by the club.
  • Mo Signs!!!!!

Will add some much needed experience to our young squad !
    Fat Elvis due to sign as well
  • Look, far be it from me to defend Roland, but I think the Grant contract situation is a little different. Although I know I wasn’t the only one who still saw potential in him, prior to the Crawley loan, he’d not exactly set the world alight anywhere. He did have a good spell there that pushed him into Bowyer’s plans for the season, and that gave renewed hope he might finally have an impact here, but there were certainly not guarantees and I don’t think anyone saw the half season he’s just had coming.

With this summers shenanigans hanging over him a little bit too, he was in the last chance saloon this season and I think in August, him being released as a reject this coming summer looked much more likely than him being sold to a club in a higher division. From that perspective you can’t blame the club for not tying him down sooner as they probably wanted to retain the option of easily releasing him.

He’s had such a good season so far though he suddenly became in demand and it became too late for us to secure him on a longer deal because we could never match what someone like Huddersfield could offer.

Perhaps the contract offer should have been on the table back in September when he’d only scored a few goals and probably wasn’t on the radar of teams higher up the leagues yet but I think the club can be forgiven for being caught off guard a little bit by just how well he’s done this season.

Someone like Aribo however, well we’ve known how good he is for quite a while now. That deal should’ve been done by now.

This, this and 200% this. The window for offering Grant a contract he would be happy with and made sense for the club, was about six weeks. The window for Aribo has been about 18 months. One is a perfect storm the latter is a shit shower.
  • With signings needing to be sanctioned by the owner, he's decided to take a little trip round the block
  • Remember a time when we were just worried about losing Aribo in January ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Very quiet in terms of actual rumours
  • edited January 2019

Uboat said:

Exactly.

Thirteen first-team players, plus four loans.

Young players

Joe Aribo,
    Tariqe Fosu
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
    George Lapslie
    Dillion Phillips (24 in June)

Senior players

Nicky Ajose
    Patrick Bauer
    Billy Clarke
    Jake Foster-Caskey
    Mark Marshall
    Ben Reeves
    Igor Vetokele

New short-term deal

Jonny Williams

• edited January 2019
    Utterly depressing/hilarious if it wasn’t so bad that RD is once again extinguishing the bright light of a potentially successful season. Poor Bowyer and co.
    We’ll wait til 11.01 but this feels like another cock up.
    Just sell up and sod off

• Uboat said:

Exactly.

Young players

Joe Aribo,
    Tariqe Fosu
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
    George Lapslie

Senior players

Nicky Ajose
    Patrick Bauer
    Billy Clarke
    Jake Foster-Caskey
    Mark Marshall
    Ben Reeves
    Igor Vetokele

New short-term deal

Jonny Williams

Even worse than I thought.
    If we don't go up this season it will be a total rebuild yet again.
    I'd be surprised if Bowyer never got a better offer else where as well.
    Utterly depressing
  • Remember a time when we were just worried about losing Aribo in January ?

Don't jinx it, still a few hours left yet...
  • Uboat said:

Exactly.

I’m trying not to think of the summer.
    Once loanees return to parent clubs and all our players are out of contract we’ll be lucky to field a five-a-side team.

One hope I have is that by not committing any funds further than this season, Roland fully believes the sale would’ve happened.

• Uboat said:

Exactly.

Young players

Joe Aribo,
    Tariqe Fosu
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
    George Lapslie

Senior players

Nicky Ajose
    Patrick Bauer
    Billy Clarke
    Jake Foster-Caskey
    Mark Marshall
    Ben Reeves
    Igor Vetokele

New short-term deal

Jonny Williams

Even worse than I thought.
    If we don't go up this season it will be a total rebuild yet again.
    I'd be surprised if Bowyer never got a better offer else where as well.
    Utterly depressing

So at present next year we would have in the building if no one else renewed the below.

Solly
    Page
    Dijksteel
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Morgan?
    Taylor
    Pratley

• edited January 2019

Uboat said:

Exactly.

One hope I have is that by not committing any funds further than this season, Roland fully believes the sale would’ve happened.
    I'm sure I remember the Spivs doing exactly the same thing.

And we lost Dale Stephens and Yann.
  • edited January 2019
    Not read any of this but something really shit that's already been said I'm sure from mate who's in contact with someone down the training ground 'a potential new player is being shown around the training ground now '

i mean did i really just type that shit , that's helpful
  • Oggy Red said:

Uboat said:

Exactly.

Didnt RD sell them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not read any of this but something really shit that's already been said I'm sure from mate who's in contact with someone down the training ground 'a potential new player is being shown around the training ground now '

It’s happening!!!
  • Not read any of this but something really shit that's already been said I'm sure from mate who's in contact with someone down the training ground 'a potential new player is being shown around the training ground now '

What a lovely trench you have here where do i sign?
  • Midfielder Abu Ogogo has joined Bristol Rovers after his contract with Coventry was cancelled by mutual consent
  • Transfer latest

What a lovely trench you have here where do i sign?
    Knowing our luck he'll sign a contract fall down the trench and miss the rest of the season.
    At least there will plenty of bottled water to revive him...........oh hold on!!
  • Wigan striker James Vaughan has joined Portsmouth on loan until the end of the season. The 30-year-old joined the Latics on an 18-month deal this time last year, but has scored only six goals for the club since then.

Vaughan, who played 46 times for home-town club Everton in younger years, will be a free agent when his loan spell ends.
  • Been speaking to my mate who is a Bradford fan and he has heard that Clarke is going back to them
  • Oggy Red said:

Uboat said:

Exactly.

And Poyet and Hammer
  • edited January 2019

Oggy Red said:

Uboat said:

Exactly.

Didnt RD sell them?
    Sure ..... but it was down to contract renewal not being done the previous summer by the Spivs.
    Although to be fair, Stephens was narked by his proposed Villa transfer falling through.

Poyet and Hamer also, as Cafc43v3r has reminded us.