Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

BREAKING - The South London Press understands that Karlan Grant will leave Charlton Athletic before the end of the transfer window.
    Honestly, he’s having a good season, but replaceable

Eisa please and it’s good business.
    We'll see... Eisa has done it at League Two; Grant is doing it at League One

Sunderland have struggled to find someone else to score other than Maja so finding a replacement goalscorer isnt easy
    Eisa needs to do two things to match Grant. Run at players and get in the box.

Grant has 14 goals. He should have a lot more.
    So why does Maja (Sunderland) only have one more than him or the top scorer have just two more in the League?

Piss off should he have a lot more (one maybe after today)
    Grant has missed a lot of easy chances this season. 14 goals is impressive, we will miss him. But he is replaceable.
    Roland doesn't do replacements.
    He does, free injured ones who are not very good.
  • I can't blame Grant for taking the opportunity for a big pay increase. I'll be surprised if he's an instant success. Let's hope we get in one or two strikers as good or better.

Whilst getting pelters from the fans who he plays for next, he'll be counting his wedge to soften the pain.

At this point of the season it is a shame that it looks like he is leaving. It is not surprising given the mad a*** of a guvnor we have, but good luck to the fella for a life changing payday.

**More importantly this almost certainly means we are a long way from being sold**
  • I can't blame Grant for taking the opportunity for a big pay increase. I'll be surprised if he's an instant success. Let's hope we get in one or two strikers as good or better.

Whilst getting pelters from the fans who he plays for next, he'll be counting his wedge to soften the pain.

At this point of the season it is a shame that it looks like he is leaving. It is not surprising given the mad a*** of a guvnor we have, but good luck to the fella for a life changing payday.

**More importantly this almost certainly means we are a long way from being sold**
    Did you ever doubt that fact?
  • I am generally on the side of saying anyone would take the pay rise and it’s a chance of prem football. Very hard for the guy to say no to.

However I am disappointed that he says himself his future is elsewhere to actively try and get a club to make a bid - after we stood by him this summer. That’s the bit that leaves a sour taste for me.
  • Uboat said:

Excited that we're replacing him with two players. With 12 on the pitch I think we'll be a tough proposition.

Not if they were Ajose standard.
  • I am generally on the side of saying anyone would take the pay rise and it’s a chance of prem football. Very hard for the guy to say no to.

However I am disappointed that he says himself his future is elsewhere to actively try and get a club to make a bid - after we stood by him this summer. That’s the bit that leaves a sour taste for me.

When did he say that?
  • cfgs said:

I can't blame Grant for taking the opportunity for a big pay increase. I'll be surprised if he's an instant success. Let's hope we get in one or two strikers as good or better.

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, that's a difficult one to answer.
  • cfgs said:

I can't blame Grant for taking the opportunity for a big pay increase. I'll be surprised if he's an instant success. Let's hope we get in one or two strikers as good or better.

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, that's a difficult one to answer.
    In truth most of us have for the odd few moments but eventually reality returns.
  • Sponsored links:

When did he say that?
    Yeah not seen or heard that either...?
  • If, as Lancashire Lad says, he’s been re-offered worse terms then it’s pretty understandable that he’s going to vote with his feet - why would you stay when that’s happened - no loyalty required.
    If he has potential to earn more, then good luck to him - if he has the option to control his own destiny why shouldn’t he take it!

if the rumours were correct the club offered him a new contract then withdrew it and reoffered with lower terms, at least he is joining a well run club even if the football management hasn't been the best.

Oh yes and a far higher salary, who can blame him and which of us, in his position, would not do the same thing. Players are employees who have a short career and need to maximise their earnings while they can, it is the fans who have the loyalty

Good luck Karlan

• Like every out, it will hugely depend on who we get in to replace. If it’s a PL kid then it might well hurt us but if it’s a player who we would want but wouldn’t normally be able to afford then that’s different. Roland doesn’t have a great track record in this respect though but I trust in Bowyer and Gallen.

When did he say that?
    Thought that is what the SLP tweet said?
  • edited January 2019
    Do you think he'd be as keen to leave if we weren't owned by a fruitcake?

Yes, indubitably.
    Ferryman said:

J BLOCK said:

Fuck him

Yeh fuck him for wanting to play at the top level of English Football; how dare he show such ambition

This might be his only chance, i.e. he may go the rest of the season without scoring at Charlton or even get injured and that opportunity will be gone

If you want to blame someone blame the same old prick at the top!!... He's allowed Grant and Aribo to run their Contracts down so that now we've got no choice but to either accept a poultry sum now or nothing come the summer - Roland has shown time and time again that he'll only ever choose the short term option... Should have gotten Grant tied down to a new deal as soon as he came back from Crawley after that form he showed
    Thing is, if RD had given him 3 years on a pay rise and Taylor had not been as good as he is, Grant would have scored half the number of goals and people would be moaning he was rubbish and on a long contract.
    But that's not what happened.
    True but we gave out plenty of long contracts early in RD’s time and fans hated the money wasted on crap players. Start of this season Grant was hardly rated on here but with the benefit of hindsight fans now upset RD did not give him a new long contract.
  • Fingers crossed that Gallon can pick a striker for us. He has done very well so far...
  • Someone else should have taken today's penalty!!! Yea he scored last week at home but away from home a more experienced player would have scored ie Williams!
  • uie2 said:

Someone else should have taken today's penalty!!! Yea he scored last week at home but away from home a more experienced player would have scored ie Williams!

Is that guaranteed? If Williams misses then people would be asking why Bowyer took Grant off pens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Roland.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF
  • Do you think he'd be as keen to leave if we weren't owned by a fruitcake?

Yes, indubitably.
    Ferryman said:

J BLOCK said:

Fuck him

Yeh fuck him for wanting to play at the top level of English Football; how dare he show such ambition

This might be his only chance, i.e. he may go the rest of the season without scoring at Charlton or even get injured and that opportunity will be gone

If you want to blame someone blame the same old prick at the top!!... He's allowed Grant and Aribo to run their Contracts down so that now we've got no choice but to either accept a poultry sum now or nothing come the summer - Roland has shown time and time again that he'll only ever choose the short term option... Should have gotten Grant tied down to a new deal as soon as he came back from Crawley after that form he showed
    Thing is, if RD had given him 3 years on a pay rise and Taylor had not been as good as he is, Grant would have scored half the number of goals and people would be moaning he was rubbish and on a long contract.
    But that's not what happened.
    True but we gave out plenty of long contracts early in RD’s time and fans hated the money wasted on crap players. Start of this season Grant was hardly rated on here but with the benefit of hindsight fans now upset RD did not give him a new long contract.

Roland's gone from one contract extreme to another!

Although not many rated Grant at start of the season, there was some hope after his success at Crawley. While no longer expecting Roland to dish out the previous long deals, he should at least keep things ticking over, but now we could fall off a cliff squad wise this summer.
  • Some very fickle people on here.

I’m gutted he’s leaving as we’ve been playing so well and it seems we’re on the verge of something good.

There’s only one person to blame and that’s the owner.

Not sure I have high hopes of decent replacements coming in but Gallen has worked wonders before so we’ll see what he delivers.
  • Resa coming back on a free?
    One of Roland's favourites!
  • Can’t believe some of you who think he’s easily replaceable. It’s been a long while since we have had a striker who has scored 14 goals in a season, let alone at this stage, let alone two of them. It’s easy to say it’s because he’s playing alongside Taylor but Taylor has also benefitted playing alongside Grant. They are a pairing. Don’t be surprised if Taylor’s goals dry up when Grant leaves, they obviously like playing together and compliment each other.

Whoever comes in certainly won’t be scoring more goals than Grant and most likely less. Some say Grant isn’t Premier League class, most likely isn’t, or even Championship standard but are wetting themselves over replacing him with Eisa, unproven above League Two, or Eaves who is League One standard at best.

Weird.

This. Their partnership is something beautiful, without one another I question their ability to find a strike partner of equal chemistry.
  • edited January 2019
    Given Duchatelet's history with regard to false promises and lies, there is absolutely no chance that Grant will be replaced by a permanent and a loan signing, as Louis Mendez suggests. At best, there will be loanee arriving, probably of the quality of the likes of Dodoo, Mavididi and Zyro.
  • Scoham said:

uie2 said:

Someone else should have taken today's penalty!!! Yea he scored last week at home but away from home a more experienced player would have scored ie Williams!

I’d have been impressed had Williams scored it given he had been subbed off.
    Nope. Williams was taken off after the penalty miss.
  • Take your pick:

- Juan Munoz
    - Soma Novothny
    - Felix Brügmann

Or we promote Hackett-Fairchild, Ocran or one of the others