Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Addickted said:

Good luck Karlan. Burgeoning talent.

"Grant deal done
    He played his last game for Charlton today according to a good source of mine.
    Deal was completed yesterday and the medical but Charlton wanted him to play today’s game as they had a little striker crisis. But all paperwork is done and expected to be sent in ASAP"

So your mate knows all that and yet doesnt know where he's going?

Sorry, should have made it clear, this is a quote from a post on Down at the Mac''. As is below from the same poster.

"No he’s not returning to them on loan. We are wanting to use him this season, whether that is to play alongside mounie or up top on his own. I personally feel we will blood him in easily this year ready for next season.
    Good risk free signing and someone with pace".

• But why sell? The money or at least the majority of it won’t be spent on a replacement. Where’s the benefit to the team and our season?

I'm surprised anyone still needs to ask this question.

I know why Roland is happy to sell. @church-lane I was asking @cafcnick1992 why he personally is so keen to sell Grant, since we all know any replacement is likely to be a loan or free.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting Magennis back as Grant's replacement.

Doubt it, Bowyer clearly didn’t rate him that highly.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting Magennis back as Grant's replacement.

Please no ! Lovely guy but not a good footballer.
  • But why sell? The money or at least the majority of it won’t be spent on a replacement. Where’s the benefit to the team and our season?

The money goes to Dushitelet, everybody knows that.

Charlton are secondary to this move.
    I do get the feeling RD is washing his hands of the detail - agreed budget with LB who is then on a big bonus to get us promoted.
    Then where does that leave us regards a sale?

Total mess.
  • DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

I am told that bowyer will get all the money from the sale - if it happens - and ultimately it is bowyers call - he could say no but then you would have a player on your hands who has just lost out on over 3 times the wages he is currently being offered - the wages offered are at the top limit of the wage structure - the alternative is to bring in 2 strikers and i back gallen and bowyer to get this right when they bring in the replacements. If they can't get what they think is right with regards to replacements then i doubt they will let him go and may instead take the deal from rangers which involves him staying but only goes through in the summer if he isn't injured. Not all done and dusted yet

What deal from Rangers? He can sign a pre contract agreement now and there is nothing we can do about it and we would get nothing. They don’t have to speak to us at all let alone agree a ‘deal’. As for Bowyer getting all the money from the deal, don’t make me laugh.

ok, you obviously know more than those who actually do the deals then i guess
    Who is telling you that Bowyer will get all the money?
  • Addickted said:

"Grant deal done
    Deal was completed yesterday and the medical but Charlton wanted him to play today’s game as they had a little striker crisis. But all paperwork is done and expected to be sent in ASAP"

As I understand it, we haven't given up on his contract. If all was signed & sealed we would NOT have had him available yesterday as the buying club wouldn't want to risk him getting injured.
  • I have not seen enough of Karian as aplayer to really say if he is good enough to step up in class.

What i have seen since Roland has been our owner ,the wheels normally fall off the cart before the season is over.

This season however we appear to be getting our act together……..Step forward Roland.

He has the final say no matter what,he can make the wheels fall off the cart and it appears that is what he wants to do...…

Take the money and leave Charlton to fall flat once again.
  • The “why sell” comments: It does not matter that the money from the sale will not be reinvested. We have no control over this. Roland wants the money, the player wants to go.

• Sponsored links:

• Moo said:

I think the move is too soon for Karlan. He is very much a confidence player and needs to start games and not come off the bench for 20 mins. I can see him going out on loan to league 1 next year. But is a good opportunity for him to make some $$. Not so good for his football career.

You could have said the same about Jenkinson, Gomez, Poyet and Lookman. Things have changed. Players used to play at least a couple of seasons before top division clubs would take them. Now half a season seems to be all it takes for top level scouts to persuade their cash-rich bosses to take a chance. And, sad to say, though a couple of million pounds is a lot to a League One club, it's a drop in the ocean to those in the Premier League, even the likes of Huddersfield.
    This.

We've always been a selling club. Always will be unless a billionaire flies over the Valley and decides to buy us.

But what I find so depressing these days is we can't even hold onto our young talent for any time. One good season and they are gone. And it's even more depressing when the teams we are selling to is the likes of Brentford and Huddersfield.

We so desperately need a new owner and competent management.
  • Anyone who thinks Bow will get anything substantive from the proceeds of the Grant sale, (don't forget his "saved" wages are not all that much, since he didn't sign a new contract) has not being paying attention when I and people like @BiginBrasov and others who've been to Belgium have related what happened to Standard before he finally did the deal there.

This is about nothing more than trousering some wedge in the name of " look how I made money out of football when others could not". Nothing else matters to him. Anyone who thinks he gives a shit about the mess he has dumped Bow in, is deluding themselves in the face of all evidence.

Happy Sunday everyone

I am still waiting for an answer from @DOUCHER
  • Is the sale of Grant a positive for our promotion chances? No. Will Duche pocket the money? Yes. Etc.
    Would Grant being under a long term contract, on a decent wage, make any difference to him going? No.
    Would the club being well run, with everyone pulling in the same direction, have made any difference? No.
    I can only think of perhaps one or two seasons in the last 50 where we have even tried to keep a player in this situation. Nothing has changed, and even if we were competing for the Premier League it would be the same. A player would leave. The club would get the money. A season might be derailed but the sale would happen regardless. If two million is being offered then any owner would be nuts to refuse it. As it happens our owner is nuts but for me that's not at the heart of this player leaving.
  • Moo said:

I think the move is too soon for Karlan. He is very much a confidence player and needs to start games and not come off the bench for 20 mins. I can see him going out on loan to league 1 next year. But is a good opportunity for him to make some $$. Not so good for his football career.

You could have said the same about Jenkinson, Gomez, Poyet and Lookman. Things have changed. Players used to play at least a couple of seasons before top division clubs would take them. Now half a season seems to be all it takes for top level scouts to persuade their cash-rich bosses to take a chance. And, sad to say, though a couple of million pounds is a lot to a League One club, it's a drop in the ocean to those in the Premier League, even the likes of Huddersfield.
    This.

We've always been a selling club. Always will be unless a billionaire flies over the Valley and decides to buy us.

But what I find so depressing these days is we can't even hold onto our young talent for any time. One good season and they are gone. And it's even more depressing when the teams we are selling to is the likes of Brentford and Huddersfield.

We so desperately need a new owner and competent management.
    We can get to the levels of Man City and we'd still be a selling club to an extent... Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two clubs in the world that every player wants to play for and will be hard for anyone to turn them down
  • edited January 2019
    A billionaire did decide to buy us, sadly he chose to take the tube and not fly over the Valley, the rest is history
  • Parker left us mid season, and it derailed the rest of our season.

Will Grant be subject to the same abuse when we meet Hudds next season?
  • Moo said:

I have a feeling the perm replacement will be Erhun Oztumer. Free transfer from Bolton for the rest of his contract. Not really a striker but can get goals.

As if we are not overrun with midfielders already.
    Good player mind you, but very much in the Williams mould.
    Apparently Williams hardly trained this week and almost missed yesterday.
  • Got to be honest and say I'm not overly bothered, the improvement in Grant this year is down to playing alongside Taylor, if we didn't have Taylor i doubt Karlan would half scored half the amount of goals as he has.

We will need a decent replacement which won't be easy, but Eaves would be a good replacement and when fit I think Igor will suit playing alongside Taylor.

I wish Karlan well but he isn't a prem striker and I'm not convinced he is a top championship one either.

pretty much how I feel.

I find it mad that a player for 4 or so years can be average to crap then has 4 months in which he is able to work out where the goal is and he could land himself a place at a premiership side. just shows the desperation for young strikers. also shows that I should of kept at football in my youth.
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

"Grant deal done

So your mate knows all that and yet doesnt know where he's going?

Sorry, should have made it clear, this is a quote from a post on Down at the Mac''. As is below from the same poster.

"No he’s not returning to them on loan. We are wanting to use him this season, whether that is to play alongside mounie or up top on his own. I personally feel we will blood him in easily this year ready for next season.
    Good risk free signing and someone with pace".

Grant is a player who quite often needs a few chances to score a goal. I genuinely don't see him having too much impact this season in a side who create very little and where he might only get one half chance in a game. He'll spend most of his time closing down defenders or standing on the half way line watching the game.

Next season will be different though, can see him doing ok in a championship side.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll wait to see what happens but I can’t help remembering people defending the sale of Kermorgant off the back of Reza and Polish Pete coming in. We have signed a number of apparently useful strikers on loan in recent seasons who haven’t quite cut it, not to mention Ajose and Novak. I do think Bowyer and Gallen have more nous, but change is always a risk.

Good luck to Grant - he may need it.

And a Leaburn fan behind consoled herself when he left that we had Mark Maccammon!
  • Ok how about we sign Will Grigg on loan and sign a youngster from elsewhere on a permanent basis. Only a thought as Grigg always looks the real deal at this level but has struggled at the level above, I apologise if he has already signed elsewhere.
  • edited January 2019
    My belated tuppence worth on all this is that it’s depressing on so many levels. Firstly, just as we’ve got something good going on it is disrupted. Part and parcel of being a league 1 club I’m afraid, exacerbated by the basket case circumstances that prevail. Second, and this will apply to most of our out of contract players either next week or more likely in the summer, the ongoing nothingness regarding a takeover makes this a club that any player will want to run away from to just about any decent alternative that comes a knocking. Loyalty my arse, but in our circumstances wouldn’t you run for the hills too if a secure decent offer came in? I would. Third, Grant himself. I hope it works out for him but pace aside I’ve never been particularly convinced that he’s anything better than a league 1 striker. Taylor/Bowyer have brought the best out of him and who’s to say with proper coaching and stability he won’t adapt to a higher level but my jury is well and truly out I’m afraid. A few seasons of well remunerated benchwarming I suspect and then back to his level. Fourth, for we fans. Sure this season is fun if you switch off to the loony tunes in the background but it is getting harder to stomach the constant churn of hope that this group has something special only to see it decimated as it surely will come the summer. Another rebuild possible under the current ownership or another that doesn’t appear to have a pot to piss in? A dilema at ST renewal time for me.

All in all, I wish Grant well and I don’t blame him at all for grasping the rope that leads him up and out of our mess. Am I bovered particularly that he’s going? Not especially if we get a decent replacement although the timing sucks. But football really is going to the dogs.........

I'm sure the club's line will be that he declined their contract offer. But it's a crap offer from a crap owner, and if all the others were signed up properly, with an increase on promotion he might have stayed.

£1.5M-£2M is good money for a player of his ability, but the circumstances created by Roland's mismanagement make it otherwise, we will see.

Well it’s a good question but perhaps Bowyer is relatively happy because he knows Karlan’s departure allows him to bring in a player or players he wants. There’s also the little question about Grant being out of contract inafew months time. I know Roland is a prick but there won’t be many clubs in any division wiling to knock back a good offer for a player who can walk for nothing in a few weeks, especially if the manager is happy with who is potentially lined up to replace them. Just my speculation you understand.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
  • there was a similar (ish) situation at gillingham a few years back they were well placed pushing for promotion from the third tier and turned down £2m for on fire Bradley Dack cos promotion was their aim .
    They ended up getting £750k for him as his contract neared the end a season and a half later plus add ons .
    But a club like gillingham have a more ambitious owner than ours, shameful times for our club .

Contradicting the above though , if Karlan wants out rather than wait till the end of the season , there isn’t anything we can do
    Although where is this £1.5m-£2m shit coming from , as if, with his contract running down we’d get paid that but if true surely he’d run his contract down and say I’ll sign for you in the summer with a £1m signing on fee for himself !
  • there was a similar (ish) situation at gillingham a few years back they were well placed pushing for promotion from the third tier and turned down £2m for on fire Bradley Dack cos promotion was their aim .
    They ended up getting £750k for him as his contract neared the end a season and a half later plus add ons .
    But a club like gillingham have a more ambitious owner than ours, shameful times for our club .

Contradicting the above though , if Karlan wants out rather than wait till the end of the season , there isn’t anything we can do
    Although where is this £1.5m-£2m shit coming from , as if, with his contract running down we’d get paid that but if true surely he’d run his contract down and say I’ll sign for you in the summer with a £1m signing on fee for himself !

Due to his age we’d be due compensation if he moves to another English club after his contract expires. I think someone posted yesterday that it’s negotiated between the clubs, unlike youth team players there’s not set limit, so we could still get £1m or so for him in the summer.