Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Addickted said:

Good luck Karlan. Burgeoning talent.

"Grant deal done
    He played his last game for Charlton today according to a good source of mine.
    Deal was completed yesterday and the medical but Charlton wanted him to play today’s game as they had a little striker crisis. But all paperwork is done and expected to be sent in ASAP"

So your mate knows all that and yet doesnt know where he's going?

• The stupidity of footballers!

He's had/having one good season and suddenly he thinks he can do it in the big time? His three misses when 1 on 1 in the Shrewsbury match is enough to know he isn't good enough, at least, not yet.

Wherever he goes, watch him fade into obscurity after a few games never to be seen again.

Sorry, but Merchant Banker IMHO.

Money talks. Who can blame a player in his position for taking an opportunity to make himself financially secure for life by signing for another club. He may not get another chance like this again.

I don't think Ben Hamer and Robbie Elliott are too concerned that they have played virtually no football since they left us.
  • But why sell? The money or at least the majority of it won’t be spent on a replacement. Where’s the benefit to the team and our season?

I'm surprised anyone still needs to ask this question.
  • edited January 2019

If it was a done deal why is Bowyer still saying he is our player unless something changes

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c4caf70181a2/bowyer-on-january-transfer-window-striker-search-and-future-of-karlan-grant

If it was all done as has been stated above wouldnt he just say that

Well he is still our player until he's gone. Bowyer would be on dodgy ground to say Grant's gone & then Hudds or whoever pull out on Monday.
  • But why sell? The money or at least the majority of it won’t be spent on a replacement. Where’s the benefit to the team and our season?

Well it’s a good question but perhaps Bowyer is relatively happy because he knows Karlan’s departure allows him to bring in a player or players he wants. There’s also the little question about Grant being out of contract inafew months time. I know Roland is a prick but there won’t be many clubs in any division wiling to knock back a good offer for a player who can walk for nothing in a few weeks, especially if the manager is happy with who is potentially lined up to replace them. Just my speculation you understand.

• Sponsored links:

• Difficult but we should have done everything in the world to keep him. If we're gutted, imagine how Bowyer and the rest of the squad are feeling? So much now left in the balance. This could be every bit as pivotal as Parker, Reid and Kermorgant leaving in the medium to long term future of CAFC.
  • Can't blame him for the mo

The stupidity of footballers!

He's had/having one good season and suddenly he thinks he can do it in the big time? His three misses when 1 on 1 in the Shrewsbury match is enough to know he isn't good enough, at least, not yet.

Wherever he goes, watch him fade into obscurity after a few games never to be seen again.

Well that's more of a reason to take the move why he has the chance surely, once in a lifetime chance to play in the Premier League from his view.

I'd be surprised if he even features for them in the Premier League though would have thought he'd have to prove something in the Championship first but annoying as we almost certainly won't replace him well enough and going to become even more reliant on Taylor

The money goes to Dushitelet, everybody knows that.

Charlton are secondary to this move.

I do get the feeling RD is washing his hands of the detail - agreed budget with LB who is then on a big bonus to get us promoted.
  • edited January 2019

Meanwhile he's getting a much higher wage his talent probably won't deserve.

Who's stupid?

Money talks. Who can blame a player in his position for taking an opportunity to make himself financially secure for life by signing for another club. He may not get another chance like this again.

I don't think Ben Hamer and Robbie Elliott are too concerned that they have played virtually no football since they left us.

Yeah, he's so stupid he will probably be on about £1M pa. You fool Karlan.

But why sell? The money or at least the majority of it won’t be spent on a replacement. Where’s the benefit to the team and our season?

If this move is Roland’s doing, then nothing to be said, other than Duchebag is a See You Next Tuesday.

If he’s moving for the money, of course I geddit

But for me it’s just a sad reflection of today’s player and the game itself. Gone clearly are the days a boy dreamed of being a footballer and making it to the top and the money was secondary.

Will going to Huddersfield, if it is them, give him a crack at the big time, he isn’t premiership quality and unless he starts banging them in immediately, it’s a life of benches for him but maybe your right, perhaps players don’t give a toss about that, as long as they’re being richly rewarded!

Still a Merchant Banker IMHO!
  • It's the same as Maja for Sunderland, and they aren't as hard up as us. It's expected and a decent fee, need to be realistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:

I am told that bowyer will get all the money from the sale - if it happens - and ultimately it is bowyers call - he could say no but then you would have a player on your hands who has just lost out on over 3 times the wages he is currently being offered - the wages offered are at the top limit of the wage structure - the alternative is to bring in 2 strikers and i back gallen and bowyer to get this right when they bring in the replacements. If they can't get what they think is right with regards to replacements then i doubt they will let him go and may instead take the deal from rangers which involves him staying but only goes through in the summer if he isn't injured. Not all done and dusted yet

What deal from Rangers? He can sign a pre contract agreement now and there is nothing we can do about it and we would get nothing. They don’t have to speak to us at all let alone agree a ‘deal’. As for Bowyer getting all the money from the deal, don’t make me laugh.

ok, you obviously know more than those who actually do the deals then i guess
  • DOUCHER said:

I am told that bowyer will get all the money from the sale - if it happens - and ultimately it is bowyers call - he could say no but then you would have a player on your hands who has just lost out on over 3 times the wages he is currently being offered - the wages offered are at the top limit of the wage structure - the alternative is to bring in 2 strikers and i back gallen and bowyer to get this right when they bring in the replacements. If they can't get what they think is right with regards to replacements then i doubt they will let him go and may instead take the deal from rangers which involves him staying but only goes through in the summer if he isn't injured. Not all done and dusted yet

Who is telling you ? Hope you are right. I do trust Lee Bowyer & Gallen to bring in decent players if they are allowed to reinvest. That’s a big if - we will find out within the next few days. If not there is only 1 senior striker at the club.
  • DOUCHER said:

I'm clinging onto your post @Doucher as being the most sensible & level headed one I've read. IF it is left up yo LB & IF he & Gallen can get on the right 2 players then I'd have no problem with that, esp if the worst event is that he goes to Rangers in the summer.

I understand all the knashing of teeth around losing our top goalscorer......but for me he is not irreplaceable & as long as we can bring in someone with his pace then that would be ok with me. He is not a natural striker (hence why KR & others played him out wide) & will struggle in the Championship, let alone the Premier League. He is not of the quality of Gomez, Parker or Shelvey & someone should tell him to speak to Poyet if he thinks the paths to riches lay elsewhere. Expect to see him rocking up at Rotherham or Scunthorpe in a few years time with not many appearances or goals to his name.
  • He is in this position purely because of the club's failure to get him signed up ...if I was him I'd leave get more money but also concentrate on becoming a better footballer...hed learn a lot from Defoe at rangers....however from what I have seen of him I don'tthink he is a premiership player

In LB we trust
  • Moo said:

I think the move is too soon for Karlan. He is very much a confidence player and needs to start games and not come off the bench for 20 mins. I can see him going out on loan to league 1 next year. But is a good opportunity for him to make some $$. Not so good for his football career.

You could have said the same about Jenkinson, Gomez, Poyet and Lookman. Things have changed. Players used to play at least a couple of seasons before top division clubs would take them. Now half a season seems to be all it takes for top level scouts to persuade their cash-rich bosses to take a chance. And, sad to say, though a couple of million pounds is a lot to a League One club, it's a drop in the ocean to those in the Premier League, even the likes of Huddersfield.
  • Good on Hudson-Odoi, handed in a transfer request after 4 offers from Bayern Munich have been rejected by Chelsea.
    He isn’t going to get league minutes at Chelsea. Bayern is perfect for him.
    Chelsea apparently gave Bayern a figure after rejecting a couple of bids, Munich met their valuation which was also rejected.

This clearly isn’t about money for Hudson-Odoi. It’s about playing time.

Don't blame him. I think when he saw Chelsea spend 60m on Pulisic who can't even get in the Dortmund side, it was probably the final straw.
  • DOUCHER said:

I'd like to believe your post and we'll obviously know within a matter of days but............i'm struggling to see that money going anywhere other than straight into RD's pocket.

Looking on the positive side, if Grant does go and we get 2 solid strikers in (one to replace Grant, the other to replace Ajose) then whilst not happy at Grant going, i think most of us would take that.

Ultimately the bottom line is, we're a league one club and league one clubs very rarely keep their best players.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting Magennis back as Grant's replacement.