Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• For all those slating Grant's loyalty remember the club could just have said "we're not selling you this window, you're too important".

Like we did with Parker?
  • The last Charlton player to leave for Huddersfield was Tarique Holmes Dennis. Where is he now .. Back where he started. Good luck Karlan. You may have a big pay rise but you ain’t gonna be playing much football
  • Toney would be a decent addition.
  • _MrDick said:

The last Charlton player to leave for Huddersfield was Tarique Holmes Dennis. Where is he now .. Back where he started. Good luck Karlan. You may have a big pay rise but you ain’t gonna be playing much football

Rubbish
    2 different players, just because 1 player is back in League 1(he did have a serious injury as well) doesnt mean the same will happen ti Grant
  • _MrDick said:

The last Charlton player to leave for Huddersfield was Tarique Holmes Dennis. Where is he now .. Back where he started. Good luck Karlan. You may have a big pay rise but you ain’t gonna be playing much football

Rubbish
    2 different players, just because 1 player is back in League 1(he did have a serious injury as well) doesnt mean the same will happen ti Grant
    Maybe You’re right ... but I happen to think he’ll stay at Huddersfield for a couple of years and then drift back down to the level he’s at now. He’s a good player but not outstanding like Lookman or Gomez
  • _MrDick said:

Rubbish
    That’s true but I still think it’s unlikely he’ll be plying his trade in the Premier League. Think he could step up to The Championship given a fair wind but that’s about it from my unknowing perspective.

• _MrDick said:

Rubbish
    That’s true but I still think it’s unlikely he’ll be plying his trade in the Premier League. Think he could step up to The Championship given a fair wind but that’s about it from my unknowing perspective.

I agree he isnt ready for prem just yet, but Hudds will be in the championship next year
  • 2mil is a good price if we get a loan in and 500-750k striker the rat can have his mil and we won’t be worse off

se9addick said:

DOUCHER said:

I am told that bowyer will get all the money from the sale - if it happens - and ultimately it is bowyers call - he could say no but then you would have a player on your hands who has just lost out on over 3 times the wages he is currently being offered - the wages offered are at the top limit of the wage structure - the alternative is to bring in 2 strikers and i back gallen and bowyer to get this right when they bring in the replacements. If they can't get what they think is right with regards to replacements then i doubt they will let him go and may instead take the deal from rangers which involves him staying but only goes through in the summer if he isn't injured. Not all done and dusted yet

If Huddersfield are going to pay £2M for Grant and make him one of their top earners then they are absolutely mental.
    Isn’t it more that he’s one of our lowest earners - he signed a contract before he broke into our first team. If he’s only on say £2-3k a week he could easily get £10k at Huddersfield. A big increase in terms of % but he’d be going from a youngsters wage with us to a squad player for Huddersfield.
  • Karlan on £2-3k a week sounds a bit fanciful to me, and as an 'only' even more so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we need a new thread like 'Grant replacement rumours'?
  • Scoham said:

2mil is a good price if we get a loan in and 500-750k striker the rat can have his mil and we won’t be worse off

se9addick said:

DOUCHER said:

I am told that bowyer will get all the money from the sale - if it happens - and ultimately it is bowyers call - he could say no but then you would have a player on your hands who has just lost out on over 3 times the wages he is currently being offered - the wages offered are at the top limit of the wage structure - the alternative is to bring in 2 strikers and i back gallen and bowyer to get this right when they bring in the replacements. If they can't get what they think is right with regards to replacements then i doubt they will let him go and may instead take the deal from rangers which involves him staying but only goes through in the summer if he isn't injured. Not all done and dusted yet

If Huddersfield are going to pay £2M for Grant and make him one of their top earners then they are absolutely mental.
    Isn’t it more that he’s one of our lowest earners - he signed a contract before he broke into our first team. If he’s only on say £2-3k a week he could easily get £10k at Huddersfield. A big increase in terms of % but he’d be going from a youngsters wage with us to a squad player for Huddersfield.
    Somebody told me he was offered 20K, but how true that is, is anybody's guess.
  • can we have some rumours please, Grant's gone and no longer a rumour
  • From Grants points of view - Not so long ago banged up on a Spanish jail.9 months on and a chance to treble his wages and play in a higher league.Lifevis too short can't blame him if he goes Good luck to him -Let's hope we get a chance to use some of his fee and wisely.COYR
  • can we have some rumours please, Grant's gone and no longer a rumour

No, he hasn't. Not officially at least.
  • Scoham said:

2mil is a good price if we get a loan in and 500-750k striker the rat can have his mil and we won’t be worse off

se9addick said:

DOUCHER said:

Somebody told me he was offered 20K, but how true that is, is anybody's guess.
    By Huddersfield maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• We paying a million......... lol

Bolton have less money than me and we're are offering a million quid.

I'm going to have a sit down.
  • Freelance sports journo with 148 followers.
  • How many midfielders do you want?
    Good player though.
  • seth plum said:

Karlan on £2-3k a week sounds a bit fanciful to me, and as an 'only' even more so.

How much would you expect him to be on?

He signed an extension in September 2016 to a deal he first signed in 2014 after turning 17. Maybe he gets an increase every year, or after so many appearances so is on more now, but he’s surely a long way off our top earners.

I doubt he’s on the sort of money players like Sarr and Bauer are, we signed them for fees to be first team Championship players.

Whatever he’s on now we can be sure Huddersfield will give him a big increase.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/sep/26/karlan-ahearne-grant-signs-three-year-deal-with-charlton-athletic-270914

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74707/karlan-ahearne-grant-new-contract/p1
  • And me saying we stuck with him after the pre season issues

I mean the fans any club see everything through the glasses of money and I would expect every club to have acted the same

If Karlan doesn’t want to leave he won’t if he does he will it’s all down to Karlan

Ok, understand that you were talking about us the fans, not the club.

But come on, you cannot pretend that agents are not driving this shit, not just Karlan but the whole mad transfer whirl.

Imagine if football were a proper business and stopped agents from leeching millions out of the game for essentially doing nothing more than driving the constant churn of players? How? Not that difficult, in principle.

"Agents" in their current form should be abolished. They should be replaced by two different types of advisers.

1. Agents, who are paid only by clubs, to identify and approach players on behalf of the club that pays their fees.

2. Separately "player care consultants" who are paid by players to look after the "soft' aspects of their lives, and who never, ever, get involved in the transfer business, and who are not allowed to be in any business link with an agent. Or his/her brother, son, mistress, toyboy, whatever.

In that scenario Karlan would have been approached by an agent he has probably never met before and whom he knows will just set out the case for moving, on behalf of Huddersfield, or whoever it is. In other words like an executive search consultant. What I do, in fact. I reckon the number of players saying "yes" to a move would be cut in half. And agents would have to be a lot more professional, and receive a lot less money, even if it will still be ten times what top professional headhunters earn. Everyone wins, except the sleazebags that have become millionaires in the process of destabilising the game.

But that is loaded in favour of the club's.

So Grant, a 21 year old with no business background has to sit down and negotiate at deal on his own with the either the owner of Huddersfield or a new contract with Duchatelet.

Why shouldn't he have an agent?

We do when we buy and sell houses, carry out probate or buy a business but not a footballer making a £m decision.

This idea that agents are to blame for players moving clubs is nonsense. The club's buy, sell and disgard players like property and then moan that the players have representatives.

Some are dodgy, some are good.
    This is not an idea I dreamed up. It is what the PFA proposed several years ago. You know, the players' union. The bit I didn't personally like about their proposal was that the PFA itself would be the player's reps in that situation. Apart from anything else the volume of transfers would be too much for one body to staff up to handle. Better to leave that in the hands of private agencies, with skilled negotiators and legal skills, but who would not be allowed to initiate transfer discussions. Obviously, the PFA in making their proposals, were well aware of the need for potentially vulnerable young men to get good advice, it is after all the players' union.

I cannot think of any other search/ recruitment business where it is acceptable for an intermediary to earn money from both sides of the hire process, still less one where the intermediary earns vast sums.

Of course agents play a proactive role in moving players, and more frequently than is necessary. Their business model, if I can grace it with that phrase, depends on it.

• 2mil is a good price if we get a loan in and 500-750k striker the rat can have his mil and we won’t be worse off

If that turns out to happen, you can name your preferred Belgian beer and I'll send you a case of it.

The reason why I am pretty sure that I won't be, is that Karlan's wages are almost certainly lower than anyone good who would come in and the Rat will want the fee to cover the difference. I suppose he might sanction a second player if we offload Clarke and the second striker is paid from his wages. But we all know that everyone is looking for strikers, and strikers top the fee/ earnings tree. And we want someone whom Bow will believe will form an equally good partnership with Lyle. Massive, massive ask, even in a well run club on 27th Jan.
  • Hope we get Aneke and Eaves.
  • I'd like to think Lord Bowyer wouldn't be sanctioning this unless he and Gamekeeper Gallon had replacement(s) lined up and ready to sign.

I don't think Bowyer has any say in the matter other than making a threat to resign if Grant is sold if he doesn't want him to go.