Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Sunderland are close to signing two Strikers themselves

Will Grigg is reported to be one whilst Stephen Walker (Middlesbrough; England U19) is rumoured to be the other
  • Bristol city have recalled Antoine Semenyo from Newport County. Not sure what this means for Mo Eisa as their fans believe he’s been recalled to be sold.

weird one, I believe he has only scored a couple of goals but is set to move to one of the big boys for 2 mil.
    Isn’t Semenyo the kid that tore Leicester apart in the FA Cup? Only 18 I believe.
    Haven't seen much about it but yes I believe you are correct. I also don't believe he is an out and out striker, and can play out wide too.
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Following on from my post yesterday, I believe I have worked out that Grant’s goals has won us an additional 18 more points than we would have if he hadn’t scored.

That’s absolutely huge. We’d be in 15th.

Now don’t tell me we wouldn’t miss him or he’s easily replaceable. Load of crap.

Losing Grant is a tough one to take, we have got to hope anyone that comes in does well and the rest of the team also picks up some responsibility on scoring.

Good luck to Karlan, he’s done incredibly well this season and had an unbelievable 2018.

I wish he were to stay and finish the job, getting us promoted, and I really believed he would’ve done and stayed until the summer. Unfortunately, when a club is waving ridiculous sums of money around offering him a weekly salary more than he would get in a month here, there’s a chance he would go, and seems that is to be the case.

And if he wasn't playing then someone else would have been (who could have scored the same or even more)......so your point is rather superfluous.
    Ah, typical response from you.
    He has a bit of a point. You can't take Grant's goals away and say we would be 15th without him, it doesn't work like that.

But of course would Ajose have scored half as many, probably not. I do agree he is a loss given his form, but IF we get some of it reinvested we can still come out of this window with a strong squad.
  • Parkinson said Bolton have had a few calls about Oztumer but says he wants to prove himself in the Championship.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17388448.bolton-boss-on-sunderland-and-charlton-erhun-oztumer-rumours/
  • I am bothered if he is not replaced, or if he is replaced with somebody not suitable. Grant does compliment Taylor, and his asset is his pace, but despite a decent number of goals, he is what I call a misser and replacing him with a scorer would improve us IMO. I think we have no chance if we lose Taylor, our chances will be severely damaged if we lose Grant with no suitable replacement, but I do believe there is an opportunity to improve us in relation to Grant going.
  • edited January 2019

I am bothered if he is not replaced, or if he is replaced with somebody not suitable. Grant does compliment Taylor, and his asset is his pace, but despite a decent number of goals, he is what I call a misser and replacing him with a scorer would improve us IMO. I think we have no chance if we lose Taylor, our chances will be severely damaged if we lose Grant with no suitable replacement, but I do believe there is an opportunity to improve us in relation to Grant going.

There's not been a striker born yet who doesn't miss chances.

It's what they do, miss chances ...... but provide them with plenty of chances, they should score a decent number of goals.
    It's normally reckoned that a striker will average 1 goal from 3 chances - although they're not expected to miss the easy ones!

Grant's played what, 25 games this season (missed some games in December injured).
    He's scored 14 goals .... giving him a return of better than 1 in 2 games.

Regardless of how many chances he's missed, that's a ratio better than most strikers out there.
    Grant will be hard to replace.

Let's hope we get lucky.

• Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Following on from my post yesterday, I believe I have worked out that Grant’s goals has won us an additional 18 more points than we would have if he hadn’t scored.

Now don’t tell me we wouldn’t miss him or he’s easily replaceable. Load of crap.

Losing Grant is a tough one to take, we have got to hope anyone that comes in does well and the rest of the team also picks up some responsibility on scoring.

Good luck to Karlan, he’s done incredibly well this season and had an unbelievable 2018.

I wish he were to stay and finish the job, getting us promoted, and I really believed he would’ve done and stayed until the summer. Unfortunately, when a club is waving ridiculous sums of money around offering him a weekly salary more than he would get in a month here, there’s a chance he would go, and seems that is to be the case.

And if he wasn't playing then someone else would have been (who could have scored the same or even more)......so your point is rather superfluous.
    He has a bit of a point. You can't take Grant's goals away and say we would be 15th without him, it doesn't work like that.

But of course would Ajose have scored half as many, probably not. I do agree he is a loss given his form, but IF we get some of it reinvested we can still come out of this window with a strong squad.
    Fact is though, I haven't taken away his goals. I have looked at the points that Grant's goals have won us, turning a draw into a win because Grant scored, turning a loss into a draw etc.

So in theory, yes without those key goals that Grant has scored this season, it also means that we would not have gained the extra points.

Those extra points accumulate to 18, meaning in theory we would be 15th.

You also cannot say that someone else would've scored those goals because it didn't happen, there's nothing to say that someone else would have been in the positions that Grant was in or even to score the goals that he has.

What you can do is assess the impact that those goals that Grant has scored has had, and he has directly won us an additional 18 points because of them.
    But then surely you have to look at the points Grant has cost us too ;)

I’ll start, he scores that penalty and we get 2 more against Peterborough.
  • So Grant leaves and Taylor's banned for a further two games? F*cking GET IN!
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Fact is though, I haven't taken away his goals. I have looked at the points that Grant's goals have won us, turning a draw into a win because Grant scored, turning a loss into a draw etc.

So in theory, yes without those key goals that Grant has scored this season, it also means that we would not have gained the extra points.

You also cannot say that someone else would've scored those goals because it didn't happen, there's nothing to say that someone else would have been in the positions that Grant was in or even to score the goals that he has.

What you can do is assess the impact that those goals that Grant has scored has had, and he has directly won us an additional 18 points because of them.
    The goals that spring to mind with regards to Grant are Bradford and Bristol Rovers

Against both, his goals werent decisive (the first being a 2-0 so we could have ended up 1-0, the latter making it 3-1 when it could have finished either 2-1 or even 2-2 had Rovers made their late pressure count), but the fact remains that Grant is easily our fastest player by quite some distance, he got into the right positions because he was able to rely on that...

Thats certainly wasnt replacable as when he was out injured; Ajose came in and he himself had a few chances where he could have ran at the opposing defence or gotten in behind but he didnt have the pace like Grant to hurt them in the same way
  • Laddick01 said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Haha, sure and the same can be said that had he not scored the goal against Shrewsbury in August in the 91st minute we would not have had two extra points, so maybe him not scoring the penalty against Peterborough is made up for that :wink:

At the end of the day, it is a fact that he has won us 18 extra points this season because his goals has directly influenced the result of the match. I am sure he has won us far more points this season than he has 'cost' us.

I mean, if we are talking facts, other than three of his 14 in the league, every single one of his goals this season has directly changed the result of a match. The three that hasn't has been against Doncaster where he made it 2-0, against Bristol Rovers where he made it 3-1, and against Shrewsbury where he made it 3-0.

I think it's fair to say he is influential.
  • Laddick01 said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Only other game where I can remember that is the Scunthorpe defeat where he should have passed to Taylor

He equally saved us when Taylor missed a penalty against Plymouth, and Taylor also cost us against Rochdale so dont think there are many cases where you can say he's lost us too many points as others have been just as bad in that respect
  • JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

I know what you mean, but if we’d had a (decent) striker playing up front in his place he’d have been most unlikely to have scored no goals at all.
    The main thing is it looks like we’re going to break up one of the best combos we’ve had up front for years, which is a tragedy.
    When the Hales/Flanagan partnership ended it broke my heart! to be fair they had just thumped the shit out of each other
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Could be included in Huddersfield's squad for Tuesday's night game against Everton if signed in time.

I'm sure the Everton defenders will have a sleepless night.

If the lad really is going to quadruple his wages, good luck to him. Who on here wouldn't do the same if the opportunity arises? But leaving that aside, this is the madness of it all. Karlan Grant against top quality defenders - I can't see how he won't struggle particularly given he won't get 4 one-on-one chances like at Shrewsbury the other week.
    Grant has one of the most valuable assets for any footballer .. PACE .. you can polish up a player's striking, defending, tackling etc. but there is no substitute for pace

Grant is still young and for all his perceived weaknesses (imagined or real) he has lots of time to improve. He does not lack confidence, another priceless asset.
    He's been great for us this season especially alongside Taylor. I'd hate to see him go. We will see
  • Scoham said:
    Could be included in Huddersfield's squad for Tuesday's night game against Everton if signed in time.

I'm sure the Everton defenders will have a sleepless night.

If the lad really is going to quadruple his wages, good luck to him. Who on here wouldn't do the same if the opportunity arises? But leaving that aside, this is the madness of it all. Karlan Grant against top quality defenders - I can't see how he won't struggle particularly given he won't get 4 one-on-one chances like at Shrewsbury the other week.
    The other factor is that Huddersfield wont get endless attacking opportunities like we do, they wont dominate matches like we can in League One... Means that alone will limit his chances in front of goal yet with Alex Pritchard / Aaron Mooy he will have someone who can thread a pass through so if he is up against a team playing a high line there will be chances for him to get through on goal but they'll be so far and few between he'll have to be more clinical.

Of course thats not the only part of his game though and there have been times in the last weeks where he's closed down defenders, forcing them into mistakes and winning the ball for us in important areas - Another achilles heal issue for Huddersfield is looking through their team I cant think of too many quick players of theirs that can break quickly; Grant as we know gives you that option

As mentioned though, its about taking his chances on a more regular basis as they wont come as often as they do currently for him... That more than anything will be what he needs to work on as Goalkeepers will be a lot more superior than they are at this level
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.
  • If he is going to go I really hope he gets it done today or tomorrow.

The more last minute the striker recruitment gets the more nervy we'll all be.
  • edited January 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

Surely it'd have been announced by now were he (Grant) actually going.

The deal will go though on the last day of Window. Unless Grant says he must stay to make amends for his weak penalty at Peterborough ?
    The deal will go though on last day and Novak will come back on a 6 month deal.
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

I do agree with the majority of what you said, but it's not as simple as saying that.

In fact just the last two matches Grant has had the opportunity to increase our points tally by 4 points, of which he added two and then lost us two. They were both penalties which means someone else could have had the same opportunity and we might even have 2 points extra.

But I am not disagreeing in the slightest that he has had a huge impact and scored some vital goals. He has also lost points through bad misses such as Sunderland and the weekend for example.
  • edited January 2019
    Scoham said:
    Fortunately this is HITC who often post things quite inaccurately. Usually unfounded rumours that pick up some momentum on forums.

(p.s - Not denying it could happen but was apparently a 'Done Deal' before Saturday in which case we would not have been allowed to play Karlan. It could very well be still happening 'Imminently' but I won't hold my breath...)
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

The chances of replacing Grant with a scorer who is coming to come in and score 10+ goals is doubtful IMO. He has lacked composure at times but he has made up for that with pace and getting in the right positions.
  • Novak? Surely your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote this! Would rather have Ajose back...and that's saying something.
  • I just can't see Karlan doing anything in the Prem. He isn't the player that Lookman was/is. And yet Lookman is only just starting to get his chance properly at Everton now.