Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• edited January 2019

I just can't see Karlan doing anything in the Prem. He isn't the player that Lookman was/is. And yet Lookman is only just starting to get his chance properly at Everton now.

Karlan is a bit more seasoned for me, maybe more outwardly confident and less shy.

Ademola always seemed shy and maybe that came across as lacking confidence when he moved.

His move, Poyet's move, Jenkinson's move should all be a lesson to our academy products.

Konsa & Gomez are the two players that stayed that little bit longer in a lower league and it benefited them.

I could see Karlan doing well in the Championship, he would likely have his choice of sides if he stayed with us til the end of the season... Which includes staying put.

• ^^^^ this with knobs on
  • edited January 2019
    FIFA has Eisa as having 77-pace | Grant has 87-pace | Taylor has 82-pace

Hope thats wrong then... Know there is more to being quick but it certainly helps these days
  • Lee Bowyer has admitted that Bristol City’s Mo Eisa is on his list of potential loan striker signings.
    We’re going to go to work on our list today and narrow it down. We have got a list of about five or six.

“It is difficult, there are not many out there and they might not suit us.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-confirms-championship-striker-is-on-list-of-loan-options/
  • Whether he plays tomorrow, or picks up a knock/gets a cold will be very interesting

Ok. Perhaps it wasn't so interesting afterall
  • clive said:

Lee Bowyer has admitted that Bristol City’s Mo Eisa is on his list of potential loan striker signings.
    We’re going to go to work on our list today and narrow it down. We have got a list of about five or six.

“It is difficult, there are not many out there and they might not suit us.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-confirms-championship-striker-is-on-list-of-loan-options/

Bowyer still talking there about the Ajose replacement, i.e. someone back up Grant and Taylor not someone to replace Grant...
  • Sponsored links:

• Either that interview is old or Bowyer is in serious denial about the KAG move.
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

We will not get a better finisher in. Grant has 14 goals in 28 games. That's a goal every other game, which is a ratio any striker would kill for, regardless of age. Every striker at every level is a 'misser'. If any striker scored every time he had a chance he'd be the greatest player to ever live. Grant misses chances but so does every striker, this idea of Grant as someone who misses too many chances is insane.

You know who else used to miss a lot of chances? Bradley Wright-Phillips. He was always determined to hit the target rather than trying to place his shots, so he hit the keeper a lot. He was never written off as a 'misser' though, we couldn't get enough of the fact we finally had a proper goalscorer after years of lacking one. How many goals did BWP have at this stage in our title winning season? 14. And he was also in the middle of his barren run and hadn't scored since 19th November, and wouldn't again until 25th February. He ended up with 22 goals, which if he carried on the way he had in the second half of this season I think Grant would have beaten, despite Grant playing in a weaker team than the one BWP was in. £2m for Grant is well below the market value - forced by his contract situation - and will go towards Roland's losses, and we will do incredibly well to get a decent striker in in January who is at the standard of Grant. It's a huge loss
    Good post.
  • Unless Grant is coming back on loan straight away?
  • Can't believe Huddersfield are offering him 20k a week, that's crazy for a side who will be in the championship next season. He'd have probably accepted 12-15k, he must've wet himself when he heard the offer was 20k.

Sancho was on less than that at Dortmund (until he signed a new deal before christmas). Phil Foden's new contract at City isn't much more (around 30k a week).
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Following on from my post yesterday, I believe I have worked out that Grant’s goals has won us an additional 18 more points than we would have if he hadn’t scored.

That’s absolutely huge. We’d be in 15th.

Now don’t tell me we wouldn’t miss him or he’s easily replaceable. Load of crap.

Losing Grant is a tough one to take, we have got to hope anyone that comes in does well and the rest of the team also picks up some responsibility on scoring.

Good luck to Karlan, he’s done incredibly well this season and had an unbelievable 2018.

I wish he were to stay and finish the job, getting us promoted, and I really believed he would’ve done and stayed until the summer. Unfortunately, when a club is waving ridiculous sums of money around offering him a weekly salary more than he would get in a month here, there’s a chance he would go, and seems that is to be the case.

And if he wasn't playing then someone else would have been (who could have scored the same or even more)......so your point is rather superfluous.
    Ah, typical response from you.
    He has a bit of a point. You can't take Grant's goals away and say we would be 15th without him, it doesn't work like that.

But of course would Ajose have scored half as many, probably not. I do agree he is a loss given his form, but IF we get some of it reinvested we can still come out of this window with a strong squad.
    Fact is though, I haven't taken away his goals. I have looked at the points that Grant's goals have won us, turning a draw into a win because Grant scored, turning a loss into a draw etc.

So in theory, yes without those key goals that Grant has scored this season, it also means that we would not have gained the extra points.

Those extra points accumulate to 18, meaning in theory we would be 15th.

You also cannot say that someone else would've scored those goals because it didn't happen, there's nothing to say that someone else would have been in the positions that Grant was in or even to score the goals that he has.

What you can do is assess the impact that those goals that Grant has scored has had, and he has directly won us an additional 18 points because of them.
    sorry, but you are being obtuse. If Grant hadn't have played then someone else woyld have (unless you are proposing we'd had played with 10 men). That someone (might have been Ajose, Vetokele, Recco or maybe another striker we had brought in to replace Grant) may have been in the same position to score those goals, may be not. Unless you want to get into a Delorean then we'll never know. But he did score those goals AND we are still in 4th.

• addick05 said:

Novak? Surely your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote this! Would rather have Ajose back...and that's saying something.

My tongue was so firmly in my cheek I looked like a hamster.
    The problem with being a Charlton fan is we have been known to scout at the last chance saloon and the wing of a hospital.
    Roger Johnson was in the last chance saloon when we signed him after playing in the Indian League. He finished off his crate of Cobra before effing giving it a go.
    His effing dulet tones were last effing heard in Hayes Lane Bromley.
  • Unless Grant is coming back on loan straight away?

As much as that’s be nice it doesn’t really make sense from a Huddersfield viewpoint. If they didn’t want to play him they’d just pick him up when his contract runs out and save about 400k in the process.
  • Novak is having a good season. Scored 10 goals already.
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

We will not get a better finisher in. Grant has 14 goals in 28 games. That's a goal every other game, which is a ratio any striker would kill for, regardless of age. Every striker at every level is a 'misser'. If any striker scored every time he had a chance he'd be the greatest player to ever live. Grant misses chances but so does every striker, this idea of Grant as someone who misses too many chances is insane.

You know who else used to miss a lot of chances? Bradley Wright-Phillips. He was always determined to hit the target rather than trying to place his shots, so he hit the keeper a lot. He was never written off as a 'misser' though, we couldn't get enough of the fact we finally had a proper goalscorer after years of lacking one. How many goals did BWP have at this stage in our title winning season? 14. And he was also in the middle of his barren run and hadn't scored since 19th November, and wouldn't again until 25th February. He ended up with 22 goals, which if he carried on the way he had in the second half of this season I think Grant would have beaten, despite Grant playing in a weaker team than the one BWP was in. £2m for Grant is well below the market value - forced by his contract situation - and will go towards Roland's losses, and we will do incredibly well to get a decent striker in in January who is at the standard of Grant. It's a huge loss
    Completely agree. The other argument is that Taylor makes him look good, as if that’s a bad thing. That’s what we should be hoping to have throughout our team - players that get the best out of each other.

Grant’s one of the top scorers in the league, he needs enough ability himself to do that. I’m sure Ajose wouldn’t have scored as many, Grant is stronger, quicker and more dangerous running with the ball than Ajose.

On the other hand if you put a top quality player into a poor team there’s only so much they can do on their own. Taylor’s doing well because he’s a good player, but also because we have a team that get the ball to him in the right areas, and a partner in Grant who is a threat himself with his pace. Taylor wouldn’t have looked as good in Robinson’s 4-2-3-1 with its slow build up and support mainly coming from Reeves or Clarke.
  • Laddick01 said:

Unless Grant is coming back on loan straight away?

As much as that’s be nice it doesn’t really make sense from a Huddersfield viewpoint. If they didn’t want to play him they’d just pick him up when his contract runs out and save about 400k in the process.
    Except that, so could another club, which waves more wedge at him, (and his agent of course)

• Sponsored links:

• Omar Bogle looks like he's joining Portsmouth, would've been a good signing.
  • Omar Bogle looks like he's joining Portsmouth, would've been a good signing.

Agreed but also a sign of how Eisa could struggle anywhere higher than League Two
  • Actually just looked at Bogle's stats he isn't as good as i thought,eight goals in the last couple of years, hopefully we can get better than him.
  • Nobody seems to be coming in from Eaves, despite him being out of contract next season. Would a cheeky bid of circa £300k get him possibly?
  • edited January 2019

FIFA has Eisa as having 77-pace | Grant has 87-pace | Taylor has 82-pace

Hope thats wrong then... Know there is more to being quick but it certainly helps these days

What is the difference in the finishing stats?

Why am I asking, fifa isn’t real
    Its as real as you make it!!...

If its not real then you've probably just made some Belgian kid cry into his Xbox Controller

Eisa (68) | Grant (64) | Taylor (68)
  • edited January 2019

Novak is having a good season. Scored 10 goals already.

Horses for courses.

Novak Bad fit at Charlton, Decent fit at scunny.
    Leon Clarke bad fit at Charlton 0 in 7 But since leaving CAFC 73 goals in 178 matches, Good fit and still scoring for Sheffield United in Championship if mainly from bench at 33.

As good as Taylor is and great to play alongside, it's going to be a long shot to replicate the Lyle and Karlan partnership if seems likely Grant goes in next few days.

You see, I have a mental assessment of BWP as a scorer. He was just a confidence player which is different. When on form, he was a get two chances, score two goals sort of player which gave us an excellent springboard for most of our promotion season.
  • Nobody seems to be coming in from Eaves, despite him being out of contract next season. Would a cheeky bid of circa £300k get him possibly?

Someone I know is connected at Millwall told me they had been quoted £1 million by Scully.
  • edited January 2019

Nobody seems to be coming in from Eaves, despite him being out of contract next season. Would a cheeky bid of circa £300k get him possibly?

With Gillingham just a point above the relegation zone I wonder if Penfold would rather keep him and avoid relegation rather than getting cash for him and so potentially end up worse off and in League Two next year...

John Marquis (albeit an ex-Spanner) would be a good shout but cant see him being cheap