Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• edited January 2019

For those without Twitter: Bowyer was asked about Oztumer link. LB says he likes him but getting a striker is the priority.
  • Sky reporting Karlans medical is today and it's 1.5m with add ons.

Was that read by Jim White.
    Hopefully he said Karlan will be gone in 72 hours, means he will definitely staying.
  • Madness if we don't replace Grant - RD busy destroying his asset as usual. The guy is a twunt.
  • edited January 2019
    At least our price is now £43.5m from £45m ... Surely the Aussies can now complete.
  • "RD funds" -----no he dosn't and no he won't

We run out of time but we were really close to signing a top player. Same as it ever was,same as it ever was
  • Sponsored links:

• Not surprised. The idea that we were going to bring in two strikers was always pie in the sky.

It’ll be a loan (Eisa?) or nothing. And Roland pockets the cash from the Grant sale.

That’s right, put out a little nugget to the press hinting we’ll spend money to replace Karlan, and keep down dissension in the ranks. Once it’s all done and dusted, move the goal posts and just sign a loan. Can’t believe fans and press are still falling for Roland’s bullshit.

Anyone who thinks we won’t come out of this deal weaker, is kidding themselves.
    RD is also destroying his own asset by his comical mismanagement. The guy is an utter fool.

We might as well give our players away.
  • I say this time and time again it seems, but why dont we do what other clubs do when we are signing one of their players.

Get the replacement in, then Hudds can complete their deal.

What makes you think Bowyer isn't trying to do this?

In the summer we effectively got Taylor in to replace Magennis
  • Perhaps the media will get Grant's name right once he is a Huddersfield player :smiley:
  • I say this time and time again it seems, but why dont we do what other clubs do when we are signing one of their players.

Get the replacement in, then Hudds can complete their deal.

Because Roland doesn't want to spend money. He is a business genius and he is making money in league one. We have 17 year olds that can replace him
  • Sponsored links:

• Not surprised. The idea that we were going to bring in two strikers was always pie in the sky.

It’ll be a loan (Eisa?) or nothing. And Roland pockets the cash from the Grant sale.

That’s right, put out a little nugget to the press hinting we’ll spend money to replace Karlan, and keep down dissension in the ranks. Once it’s all done and dusted, move the goal posts and just sign a loan. Can’t believe fans and press are still falling for Roland’s bullshit.

Anyone who thinks we won’t come out of this deal weaker, is kidding themselves.
    RD is also destroying his own asset by his comical mismanagement. The guy is an utter fool.

We might as well give our players away.
    We will at the end of the season.
  • FIFA has Eisa as having 77-pace | Grant has 87-pace | Taylor has 82-pace

Hope thats wrong then... Know there is more to being quick but it certainly helps these days

Are you Driesen in disguise?!
  • Valley11 said:

Really don't agree that Grant going is good business.....how long have some people supported this club!?
    The guy is settled and scoring goals. The chances of getting in an as good or better replacement are risky at best.
    Some people talking on here about being happy with the deal are probably the same people who said they were excited about Championship football when our Premier relegation was confirmed.

I am totally cheesed off about this deal .. but you get used to it after a while and accept that bigger (supposedly) more ambitious clubs will poach our best young talent. However, we still have a great shot at promotion whoever leaves or comes in

Some 'fans' might spend time moaning and wailing, I know that Bowyer and the players won't, they'll just keep looking to win games and get as many points as possible
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

We will not get a better finisher in. Grant has 14 goals in 28 games. That's a goal every other game, which is a ratio any striker would kill for, regardless of age. Every striker at every level is a 'misser'. If any striker scored every time he had a chance he'd be the greatest player to ever live. Grant misses chances but so does every striker, this idea of Grant as someone who misses too many chances is insane.

You know who else used to miss a lot of chances? Bradley Wright-Phillips. He was always determined to hit the target rather than trying to place his shots, so he hit the keeper a lot. He was never written off as a 'misser' though, we couldn't get enough of the fact we finally had a proper goalscorer after years of lacking one. How many goals did BWP have at this stage in our title winning season? 14. And he was also in the middle of his barren run and hadn't scored since 19th November, and wouldn't again until 25th February. He ended up with 22 goals, which if he carried on the way he had in the second half of this season I think Grant would have beaten, despite Grant playing in a weaker team than the one BWP was in. £2m for Grant is well below the market value - forced by his contract situation - and will go towards Roland's losses, and we will do incredibly well to get a decent striker in in January who is at the standard of Grant. It's a huge loss
    You see, I have a mental assessment of BWP as a scorer. He was just a confidence player which is different. When on form, he was a get two chances, score two goals sort of player which gave us an excellent springboard for most of our promotion season.
    But that's the point isn't it; you've made this assessment but the stats don't back it up. BWP missed hatfuls, absolutely hatfuls of chances. He got a hell of a lot of chances and converted a decent amount of them. He certainly wasn't a scorer between November and February. Two chances two goals? He scored more than one goal in only four matches in our league winning season, and he was definitely on form for much of that. His hattrick against Chesterfield was his first career hattrick; because he would always miss more chances than he scored. Grant has scored two goals in a game twice this half of the season. BWP was a good player and a good goalscorer at this level. So is Grant. The idea that one is a killer goalscorer and the other misses his chances just doens't follow on. I feel bad for Grant, he couldn't really have done more this season
    He lost form, but when he was on form he didn't miss chances. My point was that one is a natural goalscorer and one isn't. That isn't to ignore Grant's goals but I doubt he will get more than BWP over has career, or even close.
  • Valley11 said:

Really don't agree that Grant going is good business.....how long have some people supported this club!?
    The guy is settled and scoring goals. The chances of getting in an as good or better replacement are risky at best.
    Some people talking on here about being happy with the deal are probably the same people who said they were excited about Championship football when our Premier relegation was confirmed.

“At least we’ll win a few games”
  • Great

I'm no longer totally convinced that it will be a loan + a perm signing for #cafc. Time will tell on that one. If not, and Grant does go, it needs to be a quality replacement.
    The only surprise for me here is that Cawley fell for that notion in the first place. It's not as if he is new to Duchatelet's world.