Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Valley11 said:

Really don't agree that Grant going is good business.....how long have some people supported this club!?
    The guy is settled and scoring goals. The chances of getting in an as good or better replacement are risky at best.
    Some people talking on here about being happy with the deal are probably the same people who said they were excited about Championship football when our Premier relegation was confirmed.

It’s going to depend on who comes in as a replacement before we can decide on whether or not it’s good business. At this point we simply don’t know. Whoever it is will be different to Grant. They will be judged on their goals and we can decide whether or not £1.5 million plus add ons was worth it for a player out of contract in a few months and wanting to leave. Not a dig at Karlan. I don’t blame him one jot for trying to better himself.

We will have to take into consideration that Karlan was our player and whoever comes in, the likelihood is that they will be someone else’s and we will need to return them. Grant will need replacing properly at some point.

• Apparently huddersfield squad and manager are in portugal. Dont players meet managers anymore before signing?
  • Apparently huddersfield squad and manager are in portugal. Dont players meet managers anymore before signing?

The Hudds manager wouldn’t recognise Karlan if he tripped over him on the beach.

If they are that’s mental, they’re at home to Everton tomorrow night.

Sage just stole my thunder

Sorry Large.

I just don’t understand the logic if they actually are in Portugal. Even if they were to try and dress it up as warm weather training/team bonding, it wouldn’t do any good being out of the country a day before they play an important game at home.

Maybe they went to Portugal last week and are back now, considering they didn’t have a match on the weekend, they had a decent amount of time to get that done. But not now.
  • They must have came back today or maybe yesterday then as my brother says he was chatting to a few of their players over there
  • Sage said:

Apparently huddersfield squad and manager are in portugal. Dont players meet managers anymore before signing?

Sorry Large.

I just don’t understand the logic if they actually are in Portugal. Even if they were to try and dress it up as warm weather training/team bonding, it wouldn’t do any good being out of the country a day before they play an important game at home.

Maybe they went to Portugal last week and are back now, considering they didn’t have a match on the weekend, they had a decent amount of time to get that done. But not now.
    Stole my thunder, means he agrees with you and you beat him to it.
  • Addickted said:

Good luck Karlan. Burgeoning talent.

"Grant deal done
    He played his last game for Charlton today according to a good source of mine.
    Deal was completed yesterday and the medical but Charlton wanted him to play today’s game as they had a little striker crisis. But all paperwork is done and expected to be sent in ASAP"

Only just realized this was from a Huddersfield forum not any information that @addickted had
  • Sponsored links:

• When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

We will not get a better finisher in. Grant has 14 goals in 28 games. That's a goal every other game, which is a ratio any striker would kill for, regardless of age. Every striker at every level is a 'misser'. If any striker scored every time he had a chance he'd be the greatest player to ever live. Grant misses chances but so does every striker, this idea of Grant as someone who misses too many chances is insane.

You know who else used to miss a lot of chances? Bradley Wright-Phillips. He was always determined to hit the target rather than trying to place his shots, so he hit the keeper a lot. He was never written off as a 'misser' though, we couldn't get enough of the fact we finally had a proper goalscorer after years of lacking one. How many goals did BWP have at this stage in our title winning season? 14. And he was also in the middle of his barren run and hadn't scored since 19th November, and wouldn't again until 25th February. He ended up with 22 goals, which if he carried on the way he had in the second half of this season I think Grant would have beaten, despite Grant playing in a weaker team than the one BWP was in. £2m for Grant is well below the market value - forced by his contract situation - and will go towards Roland's losses, and we will do incredibly well to get a decent striker in in January who is at the standard of Grant. It's a huge loss
    You see, I have a mental assessment of BWP as a scorer. He was just a confidence player which is different. When on form, he was a get two chances, score two goals sort of player which gave us an excellent springboard for most of our promotion season.
    But that's the point isn't it; you've made this assessment but the stats don't back it up. BWP missed hatfuls, absolutely hatfuls of chances. He got a hell of a lot of chances and converted a decent amount of them. He certainly wasn't a scorer between November and February. Two chances two goals? He scored more than one goal in only four matches in our league winning season, and he was definitely on form for much of that. His hattrick against Chesterfield was his first career hattrick; because he would always miss more chances than he scored. Grant has scored two goals in a game twice this half of the season. BWP was a good player and a good goalscorer at this level. So is Grant. The idea that one is a killer goalscorer and the other misses his chances just doens't follow on. I feel bad for Grant, he couldn't really have done more this season
    He lost form, but when he was on form he didn't miss chances. My point was that one is a natural goalscorer and one isn't. That isn't to ignore Grant's goals but I doubt he will get more than BWP over has career, or even close.
    Yes, he did. A lot. That's the point.
  • If they've been doing some warm weather training, their players will be freezing when they play tomorrow in the snow!
  • He asked about Grant btw and only thing that was said about him was in regards to the allagations in ibiza so my brother said fuck off and good luck staying up
  • Novak is having a good season. Scored 10 goals already.

Yes, seen him net a few this season, just don't think he ever settled here. Never looked fit - or that interested. We have to be looking for a striker that can get into double figures by the end of the season.
  • Hudds stay up.
    England cap
    5% on sale over £1.5 million
    50 appearances

Can’t see us getting much in add ons

Might do the 50 appearances - but forget the rest.
  • Great

I'm no longer totally convinced that it will be a loan + a perm signing for #cafc. Time will tell on that one. If not, and Grant does go, it needs to be a quality replacement.
    Maybe Bow wants to slap the whole striker budget on one quality player?
  • Not surprised. The idea that we were going to bring in two strikers was always pie in the sky.

It’ll be a loan (Eisa?) or nothing. And Roland pockets the cash from the Grant sale.

That’s right, put out a little nugget to the press hinting we’ll spend money to replace Karlan, and keep down dissension in the ranks. Once it’s all done and dusted, move the goal posts and just sign a loan. Can’t believe fans and press are still falling for Roland’s bullshit.

Anyone who thinks we won’t come out of this deal weaker, is kidding themselves.
    RD is also destroying his own asset by his comical mismanagement. The guy is an utter fool.

We might as well give our players away.
    It seems the better the team do, the more Roland this is we can get away with selling.
  • edited January 2019

Apparently huddersfield squad and manager are in portugal. Dont players meet managers anymore before signing?

The Hudds manager wouldn’t recognise Karlan if he tripped over him on the beach.

What about in a hotel bedroom?
  • Portsmouth have signed Omar Bogle on loan. Was with Birmingham for the first half the season and scored once. Only scored once for Peterborough on loan in the second half of last season as well. Wonder if he was on our list, that’s a true Charlton striker scoring record.
  • Anyone noticed, not a single tweet from Charlton today ... very unusual
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:

Anyone noticed, not a single tweet from Charlton today ... very unusual

Yes. Bit unusual. IF Grant has gone/is going they might be waiting until they can also announce our new 'Marquee' signing to lessen the blow a bit....
  • cafc-west said:

_MrDick said:

Yes. Bit unusual. IF Grant has gone/is going they might be waiting until they can also announce our new 'Marquee' signing to lessen the blow a bit....
    Marquee signing or John Marquis signing?
  • Sage said:

Sorry Large.

Stole my thunder, means he agrees with you and you beat him to it.
    I know mate, I apologised for stealing his thunder and then expanded on my original thoughts.
  • Stoke have said that Peter Crouch is available for sale - rules us out then.
  • cafc-west said:

_MrDick said:

Yea, Roland will probably spend the money on a tent!
  • When I say a player is a misser, it doesn't mean he doesn't score goals. It means he misses a lot of chances. Now if he gets those chances that no other player would, then it is fine. That is the judgement you have to make. When you calculate how many points Grant has won us, you have to assume another striker may have scored some too. I am not trying to say that he hasn't been an important part of the team and our relative success this season. We are in League one we all must remember, and not guaranteed to get out of that! But whilst imporatnt, I can see how we could improve the team if Grant left and we got a better finisher in. We are a team that is a bit lacking in composed finishers relative to their positions, through the team.

We will not get a better finisher in. Grant has 14 goals in 28 games. That's a goal every other game, which is a ratio any striker would kill for, regardless of age. Every striker at every level is a 'misser'. If any striker scored every time he had a chance he'd be the greatest player to ever live. Grant misses chances but so does every striker, this idea of Grant as someone who misses too many chances is insane.

You know who else used to miss a lot of chances? Bradley Wright-Phillips. He was always determined to hit the target rather than trying to place his shots, so he hit the keeper a lot. He was never written off as a 'misser' though, we couldn't get enough of the fact we finally had a proper goalscorer after years of lacking one. How many goals did BWP have at this stage in our title winning season? 14. And he was also in the middle of his barren run and hadn't scored since 19th November, and wouldn't again until 25th February. He ended up with 22 goals, which if he carried on the way he had in the second half of this season I think Grant would have beaten, despite Grant playing in a weaker team than the one BWP was in. £2m for Grant is well below the market value - forced by his contract situation - and will go towards Roland's losses, and we will do incredibly well to get a decent striker in in January who is at the standard of Grant. It's a huge loss
    You see, I have a mental assessment of BWP as a scorer. He was just a confidence player which is different. When on form, he was a get two chances, score two goals sort of player which gave us an excellent springboard for most of our promotion season.
    But that's the point isn't it; you've made this assessment but the stats don't back it up. BWP missed hatfuls, absolutely hatfuls of chances. He got a hell of a lot of chances and converted a decent amount of them. He certainly wasn't a scorer between November and February. Two chances two goals? He scored more than one goal in only four matches in our league winning season, and he was definitely on form for much of that. His hattrick against Chesterfield was his first career hattrick; because he would always miss more chances than he scored. Grant has scored two goals in a game twice this half of the season. BWP was a good player and a good goalscorer at this level. So is Grant. The idea that one is a killer goalscorer and the other misses his chances just doens't follow on. I feel bad for Grant, he couldn't really have done more this season
    He lost form, but when he was on form he didn't miss chances. My point was that one is a natural goalscorer and one isn't. That isn't to ignore Grant's goals but I doubt he will get more than BWP over has career, or even close.
    He absolutely did miss chances. He was super profligate, he just got a lot of chances that season. In the Championship when the chances were much harder to come by he got one goal in 19 games, got dropped and got shipped back down to L1 where you get more chances, and he got 5 in 15. This image you have of BWP isn't quite right. Grant is evidently a natural goalscorer; he's 21 years old, he's had two half seasons where he's been a first choice striker and he's scored 9 in 15 in L2 and 14 in 28 in L1. How else can you possibly be a natural goalscorer other than scoring goals?
    You're absolutely right - he did miss chances.

I well remember that football for a fiver game against Stevenage. Wright-Phillips missed more one on one chances in that game than Grant did at Shrewsbury!
  • DOUCHER said:

Not caught up in thread but can confirm grant is going - it’s done - 2 new signings being worked on - should know more tomorrow pm

Nothing new there, we have already garnished this from various reports.