Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• As others have said already it's a classic RD bait-and-switch tactic - there is no way known we are buying another striker, we will get some 18 year old Premiership loanee.

There is no way Grant is ready for the Premiership, he's done well in L1 and L2 but in a struggling Terriers side he'll be lucky to get half a chance every two games compared to the 3-4 chances he gets most weeks here.

As others have said the bloke is probably on 1K per week here and Huddersfield might get him 10K or more on a three year deal which is a shitload of cash.

The writing was on the wall earlier this season when he wouldn't sign a deal, his agent obviously fancies a pay day and has worked to make it happen and Grant has made it possible by banging in the goals.

Plus ca change.
  • Moo said:

Redrobo said:

Good on Aribo and Dillon.

Interesting they haven’t said anything about Fosu and Reeves. Perhaps LB feels they haven’t done enough. I would like young Albie Morgan to get a long term deal.
    I have now seen the original quote and George is also expected to sign which is also good news.
  • LenGlover said:

Moo said:

Redrobo said:

Interesting they haven’t said anything about Fosu and Reeves. Perhaps LB feels they haven’t done enough. I would like young Albie Morgan to get a long term deal.
    Lapslie too for me.

I think he has the potential to become something like Parker in time.
    Yes agree. Really like him.
  • edited January 2019
    DOUCHER said:

Lots of waffle on here but anyone got any rumours on who the new striker will be?

Ask Doucher.
    He wont name names tho and when we sign someone he can say I told you someone was coming in.
    see my comment above smart arse
  • supaclive said:

DOUCHER said:

Not caught up in thread but can confirm grant is going - it’s done - 2 new signings being worked on - should know more tomorrow pm

Bowuer will get all the money to spend.

You sir are a fraud!
    i pass on what i'm told - whats fraudulent about that? god this is a deja vu scenario - arguing - whats the point - believe it if you want don't if you don't, i never make up what i've been told
  • Redrobo said:

Moo said:

Redrobo said:

I have now seen the original quote and George is also expected to sign which is also good news.
    Where is the original quote?

• edited January 2019
    SDAddick said:

It's short termism, but I would rather we get someone with higher quality on loan than less reliable quality permanently. We need to get out of this division, so yes we will have an even more depleted squad in the summer and will have to rebuild, but I'd rather increase the chances of rebuilding from the Championship than having one less spot to fill in League One.

Also, I don't really know what type of forward we would be able to actually buy at this stage of the window anyway. Prices will be massively inflated because the other team most likely won't have time to replace him--and that's assuming a player is even for sale. So you might end up spending all of the Karlan money just to get a decent League One level striker in, which to me is bad business. Better we loan someone from the Championship who is of high end League One/Championship quality.

Lastly, for all of his faults, I don't think Roland can be blamed too much for selling a player for a seven figure sum when we're in League One. Ditto, to *some* extent, if we don't buy a new striker. But moreso to the first point, the mistake was made in the summer not tying Karlan down to a new deal. Same went through the fall. If he'd signed a new deal, he might still leave, but we would have a much better bargaining position.

This is always the problem with selling players and expecting to replace them in January.

Sure we are probably getting a better fee selling Karlan now than we'd get in the summer, but to replace him we are shopping in an inflated market and will have to pay over the odds, at the very least reducing any financial benefit to the club or owner. Or we will have to sign a loan and, with the best will in the world, getting a player in on, loan at this stage of the season who will come in, hit the ground running, link up as well as Karlan does with Taylor, and get into double figures goals wise by the end of the season... well it strikes me as a long shot. Or we just don't sign anyone, and don't rule that one out yet by the way.

The deals that are done in January, especially towards the end of the window, tend to be clubs desperate to strengthen picking up players who are on the scrap heap at another club - and signings like that always carry significant risk in one form or another, or are big clubs making smaller clubs offers they can't refuse.

Signing good players to replace good players in January is very hard to do. Its doubly hard with strikers, because good ones just don't come on the market often. We've got ourselves caught in this catch 22 situation so many times now, but it seems to just keep on coming around every year.

Bowyer talks a lot about only signing the right players in terms of quality and personality and within budget. He's dead right to do so, and he shouldn't lower his standards, but I wonder if it those standards that will stop us bringing in more than one player on loan - I just doubt that a quality striker, whose, a great lad, and is cheap will be available to sign permanently in January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curious that our yuff strikers are, and correct me if I'm wrong:-

Kennedy 22?
    Anderson 20?
    Umerah. 20? Injured?
    Reeco. 19?
    Ocran. 18?
    And we've lost Sarmiento and was it Carey that went to a US college?

But the pecking order is reverse of their age. Interesting to see how our bare-bones strike force is selected in coming weeks. Could Ajose get recalled.
  • Addickted said:

Again, from 'Down at the Mac' 15 minutes ago.

"Deal done. Don't know why embargo on announcement".

Gee haven't you learnt yet...Be Patient...😜
  • edited January 2019
    [Apologies: Posted this in error on the Season Over thread]

I think we are a pretty good prospect for any young striker wanting to make a name for himself.

We’ve got a team that look very likely to make the play-offs, a great midfield that should create plenty of chances, and an excellent strike partner in Taylor.

We have a passionate fan base and with the prospect of a change in ownership, hopefully in the not too distant future, higher gates at a Premier League sized stadium.
    We also have probably the best up and coming English manager in the league, in Lee Bowyer.

I’d personally not be surprised if Gallen and Bowyer pull off another coup before the window closes, IF we’re allowed to splash some of the Karlan cash.
    Big IF though.
  • DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Not caught up in thread but can confirm grant is going - it’s done - 2 new signings being worked on - should know more tomorrow pm

Hang on, you said a couple of weeks back there wouldn't be any major departures this window. As usual you seemed very confident.
    so did the club when they turned the bid down i guess - nothing certain in football although once a deal is done its done and that is fact not speculation
    Mmm, you didn't make it sound like speculation a couple of weeks ago. You made it sound like fact.

Oh well, as you say it'll happen when we know what division we're in.
  • edited January 2019
    JamesSeed said:

I think we are a pretty good prospect for any young striker wanting to make a name for himself.

We’ve got a team that look very likely to make the play-offs, a great midfield that should create plenty of chances, and an excellent strike partner in Taylor.

We have a passionate fan base and with the prospect of a change in ownership, hopefully in the not too distant future, higher gates at a Premier League sized stadium.
    We also have probably the best up and coming English manager in the league, in Lee Bowyer.

I’d personally not be surprised if Gallen and Bowyer pull off another coup before the window closes, IF we’re allowed to splash some of the Karlan cash.
    Big IF though

Best they're getting is a little bit of the money to top up Karlan's wages and whatever we're saving by having to allow them to offer the incoming player a better wage than Karlan was on. More likely Roland has told them they can have Karlan and Ajose's saved wages combined and nothing more. I have zero inside knowledge but I would be astounded if we are going to pay a fee for anyone. If it's a 'permanent' deal, it'll be something like Williams where we take over the remainder of a contract for a player no longer wanted at his current club.

• JamesSeed said:

Big IF though

Best they're getting is a little bit of the money to top up Karlan's wages and whatever we're saving by having to allow them to offer the incoming player a better wage than Karlan was on. More likely Roland has told them they can have Karlan and Ajose's saved wages combined and nothing more. I have zero inside knowledge but I would be astounded if we are going to pay a fee for anyone. If it's a 'permanent' deal, it'll be something like Williams where we take over the remainder of a contract for a player no longer wanted at his current club.

Tbh I’m not bothered how we get ‘em in, just that we do get someone (or more) in tout suite. Hopefully new owners can sort out contracts later.
  • We should give Darren Bent a ring
  • SDAddick said:

It's short termism, but I would rather we get someone with higher quality on loan than less reliable quality permanently. We need to get out of this division, so yes we will have an even more depleted squad in the summer and will have to rebuild, but I'd rather increase the chances of rebuilding from the Championship than having one less spot to fill in League One.

Also, I don't really know what type of forward we would be able to actually buy at this stage of the window anyway. Prices will be massively inflated because the other team most likely won't have time to replace him--and that's assuming a player is even for sale. So you might end up spending all of the Karlan money just to get a decent League One level striker in, which to me is bad business. Better we loan someone from the Championship who is of high end League One/Championship quality.

Lastly, for all of his faults, I don't think Roland can be blamed too much for selling a player for a seven figure sum when we're in League One. Ditto, to *some* extent, if we don't buy a new striker. But moreso to the first point, the mistake was made in the summer not tying Karlan down to a new deal. Same went through the fall. If he'd signed a new deal, he might still leave, but we would have a much better bargaining position.

This is always the problem with selling players and expecting to replace them in January.

Sure we are probably getting a better fee selling Karlan now than we'd get in the summer, but to replace him we are shopping in an inflated market and will have to pay over the odds, at the very least reducing any financial benefit to the club or owner. Or we will have to sign a loan and, with the best will in the world, getting a player in on, loan at this stage of the season who will come in, hit the ground running, link up as well as Karlan does with Taylor, and get into double figures goals wise by the end of the season... well it strikes me as a long shot. Or we just don't sign anyone, and don't rule that one out yet by the way.

The deals that are done in January, especially towards the end of the window, tend to be clubs desperate to strengthen picking up players who are on the scrap heap at another club - and signings like that always carry significant risk in one form or another, or are big clubs making smaller clubs offers they can't refuse.

Signing good players to replace good players in January is very hard to do. Its doubly hard with strikers, because good ones just don't come on the market often. We've got ourselves caught in this catch 22 situation so many times now, but it seems to just keep on coming around every year.

Bowyer talks a lot about only signing the right players in terms of quality and personality and within budget. He's dead right to do so, and he shouldn't lower his standards, but I wonder if it those standards that will stop us bringing in more than one player on loan - I just doubt that a quality striker, whose, a great lad, and is cheap will be available to sign permanently in January.
    But it's not just down to what the selling club wants

If a player insists on leaving by refusing to play or being disruptive, then the club is in a really hard position. If you keep the player, you may end up with a moody disinterested player for the rest of the season, who's a shadow of the player before the bid arrived.

Van Dijk for example was forced to stay at Soton despite handing in a transfer request in the summer of 2017, but was a a shadow of his normal self until he left in January, whereupon he suddenly became world class again.
  • SDAddick said:

If a player insists on leaving by refusing to play or being disruptive, then the club is in a really hard position. If you keep the player, you may end up with a moody disinterested player for the rest of the season, who's a shadow of the player before the bid arrived.

Van Dijk for example was forced to stay at Soton despite handing in a transfer request in the summer of 2017, but was a a shadow of his normal self until he left in January, whereupon he suddenly became world class again.
    But is that the kind of player Bowyer will want to sign and are we remotely a big enough draw to get player to do that? Bowyer has spoken a lot about getting the right characters in because the group as it is has "something special" and he doesn't want to disrupt that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gooner in my local tonight reckons we're still trying to get Nkeita on loan .
  • edited January 2019

Curious that our yuff strikers are, and correct me if I'm wrong:-

Kennedy 22?
    Seems likely to be released

Anderson 20?
    Had quite a long injury, don’t know a lot about him

Umerah. 20? Injured?
    And likely to be released

Reeco. 19?
    And one game aside has not looked of the quality

Ocran. 18?
    Not seen

And we've lost Sarmiento
    maybe should have stayed as would likely have played by now but went to a decent club in terms of progression

and was it Carey that went to a US college? No Carey is still with us. That was Alex Willis I think, again would likely have played a few games for us had he stayed but seems to be doing well in the States

But the pecking order is reverse of their age. Interesting to see how our bare-bones strike force is selected in coming weeks.

Could Ajose get recalled.
    No.

Having not had many young strikers/attacking midfielders of pedigree at the club for many years it will be interesting to see how Lookman, Grant, Sarmiento, Willis, Palmer and Ramazani’s careers all go.

Miserable we will have likely got max £10M combined as I suspect that as a group they could be worth many multiples of that in years to come.
  • SDAddick said:

But is that the kind of player Bowyer will want to sign and are we remotely a big enough draw to get player to do that? Bowyer has spoken a lot about getting the right characters in because the group as it is has "something special" and he doesn't want to disrupt that.
    I was thinking more about the issues we have with keeping players when bids come in (e.g. Karlan). If we told Karlan he couldn't leave, would he be the same player for the rest of the season?

At this stage, it will be difficult to buy anyone from a "smaller" club (e.g. an Eaves) unless the player helps force the move as nobody will want to sell their best player now. Obviously it's a lot different with unwanted players from bigger clubs.
  • I might be wrong but iirc we have increased the numbers in the squad every January under RD, not that the numbers have always been good ones.

I do take some comfort that Gallen and Bowyer, and unpopular as it might be Robinson, have done well in the Jan window over the last 3 years.

If Grant stayed and we got a loan striker I would be chuffed with this window. If he goes and we bring in 2 strikers, either on loan or perm I'll be happy.

I wouldnt be that pissed off if we got 2 loan strikers, a out favour championship striker to battle with Igor to partner Taylor and a kid from a "big club" who is going to be released in the summer, who wants to impress, wouldn't mind being 4th choice or some times not even in the match day squad. 6 loans isn't problem especially when is the 4th choice striker and the other the back up keeper.
  • I think Kennedy has been recalled from Ireland so may be in the last chance saloon.
  • I

Funny how old @DOUCHER gets load of shite on here for passing on info

Yet a lot of the same people swallow done deal imminent etc

The fella posts what he hears fair play to him I find it quite comical the way others want to dig him out

Keep going douch you have been more right than wrong imo of late

Yep agree with this. Can’t understand why anyone would want to dig someone out if they were passing on something they had been told even if it doesn’t end up happening it doesn’t mean it wasn’t the truth or a fairly solid possible outcome at the time.

With absolutely no knowledge at all I’m going to ask if I can have a bet on Grant our, one perm striker in and one loan.

• Cafc43v3r said:

I might be wrong but iirc we have increased the numbers in the squad every January under RD, not that the numbers have always been good ones.

I do take some comfort that Gallen and Bowyer, and unpopular as it might be Robinson, have done well in the Jan window over the last 3 years.

If Grant stayed and we got a loan striker I would be chuffed with this window. If he goes and we bring in 2 strikers, either on loan or perm I'll be happy.

I wouldnt be that pissed off if we got 2 loan strikers, a out favour championship striker to battle with Igor to partner Taylor and a kid from a "big club" who is going to be released in the summer, who wants to impress, wouldn't mind being 4th choice or some times not even in the match day squad. 6 loans isn't problem especially when is the 4th choice striker and the other the back up keeper.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Zyro, Mavididi and Kaikai were the 'ins' last Janaury weren't they? Not exactly stellar successes were they?
    No but everyone would of had Mavididi back after the previous season, Kaikai had a good pedigree at this level and Zyro gave us an option we hadn't previously had. Also bear in mind they were signed by Robinson to play one way then ended up playing a diffrent way under Bowyer. Whilst I agree none of them were hans jepson or Jorge Costa neither were they Mike small.