Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    This is true and I would personally prefer clarity in regards of this law and the offside law too which has become too complex. I was having a chat with the ref after one of our games a few games ago and that was his view too.
  • Options
    Last seasons away trip to Pompey has been top of my expat YouTube views pile for a while, then they go and do it all again.

Love it.
  • Options
    Sounds like Jed Steer has improved. I rarely get to home games and only go to northern away games really so interested to hear the thoughts on those that see him regularly. Is he a better option than Phillips?
  • Options

Sounds like Jed Steer has improved. I rarely get to home games and only go to northern away games really so interested to hear the thoughts on those that see him regularly. Is he a better option than Phillips?

Yes.
  • Options

Was a little shaky early on in the season but last few months he has looked brilliant. Thought was would really struggle to replace Amos but steer has done a great job. Hope we get him on a perm in the summer.

• Options
    Totally agree with that. I thought we’d never replace the brilliance of Amos but Steer after an uncertain start looks as good as Amos. Just wish we could buy them permanently. It’s such an important position and we have been lucky that our loans have been good ones. That won’t skeays be the case. I wonder how much Steer would be if we went up?
  • Options

I had completely wrote Steer off after about 5 games or so to be honest. Which shows you should never jump the gun with a opinion on a player. My view is he is better than Phillips and just a bit behind Amos. Amos definitely filled me with more confidence as a general shot stopper. A couple of qualities I would say he has over Amos though is his distribution and most noticeable trait is his reading of the game. At times he does look very flappy but his game reading is excellent and he always seems to snuff out any danger. Would obviously love him on a perm but Villas keepers are shocking and I see them recalling if they can
  • Options

I had completely wrote Steer off after about 5 games or so to be honest. Which shows you should never jump the gun with a opinion on a player. My view is he is better than Phillips and just a bit behind Amos. Amos definitely filled me with more confidence as a general shot stopper. A couple of qualities I would say he has over Amos though is his distribution and most noticeable trait is his reading of the game. At times he does look very flappy but his game reading is excellent and he always seems to snuff out any danger. Would obviously love him on a perm but Villas keepers are shocking and I see them recalling if they can
    Steer’s distribution is far better imo and because he’s a bit quicker off the mark it means we are more likely to take advantage of route one opportunities when they arise
  • Options
    Thompson’s red card has been overturned
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Steer’s distribution is far better imo and because he’s a bit quicker off the mark it means we are more likely to take advantage of route one opportunities when they arise
    Yeah that's what I mean, he reads situations really quick, the amount of times Grant gets through cause of him is a fair few, might start keeping track of that.

I record every game on iFollow anyway so by the end of the season I'm planning a highlights montage kind of thing, I'm sure there will be a few long balls by Steer in thee
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

Thompson’s red card has been overturned

Booo!

Edit; didn't mean to make you jump Louis, that was meant for the decision. :wink:
    Don't worry red the games finished
  • Options
    Wasn't a red for me anyway
  • Options

I think if you are in a wall say and you turn your back to the ball but have both hands in the air, if it hits a hand it is a penalty. That is because your hand is in an unnatural position even though you can't see the ball coming towards it. I would say, putting your hand on the post when you are defending the post is natural - you are doing it for positional reasons, not because you anticipate the ball possibly hitting it as you might be doing in the first example.

I would think the ref would give it, but technically, if a player is just standing there with his hands in the air before the free kick was taken and makes no move towards the ball it would be ball to hand and no offence.

I don’t think that this would happen as players in a wall will be protecting their own balls. If players in say the middle of a wall turned their backs and held up their arms or women started doing this I am sure we would soon see a change of the laws.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I think if you are in a wall say and you turn your back to the ball but have both hands in the air, if it hits a hand it is a penalty. That is because your hand is in an unnatural position even though you can't see the ball coming towards it. I would say, putting your hand on the post when you are defending the post is natural - you are doing it for positional reasons, not because you anticipate the ball possibly hitting it as you might be doing in the first example.

I would think the ref would give it, but technically, if a player is just standing there with his hands in the air before the free kick was taken and makes no move towards the ball it would be ball to hand and no offence.

I don’t think that this would happen as players in a wall will be protecting their own balls. If players in say the middle of a wall turned their backs and held up their arms or women started doing this I am sure we would soon see a change of the laws.
    hahahahaha, as if womens bits wouldnt need blocking also
  • Options

Redrobo said:

You may wish to consult some human biology books to check the exact location of women’s bits. I think you will find that they would be quite safe.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

You may wish to consult some human biology books to check the exact location of women’s bits. I think you will find that they would be quite safe.
    It's all a mystery to me.

I'll ask my GF to see if she knows.

• Options
    Having seen the Taylor challenge on the telly I think it’s a yellow

For me one of the best defensive performances over recent years, particularly as Pearce got so much stick after Blackpool

Wasn’t a fan of Steer at the start but he was superb on Tuesday
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

It wouldn't happen as it would be a penalty - but the scenario dictates the player has his back to the ball so protection is not an issue. The only reason to have your hands in the air would be on the off chance the ball is blocked. That is where the unnatural position comes in,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

I can see how the ref gave it but after watching the video a few times I came to the same conclusion.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Leuth said:

I can see how the ref gave it but after watching the video a few times I came to the same conclusion.
    But he is doubtful for the next match due to the studs catching his foot and FA rescinded red. How does that work? And that's without the forearm smash.
  • Options
    Update on my earlier post re Jimmy Dickinson......it was in fact his 700th game and not 600th as I said earlier
    It was in 1963......so I would have been 15 at the time.
  • Options

Leuth said:

But he is doubtful for the next match due to the studs catching his foot and FA rescinded red. How does that work? And that's without the forearm smash.
    Completely missed the forearm smash.
  • Options

stonemuse said:
    They are such a load of inbred cnuts.
    They are, but still prefer them to people from Southampton.