Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    I was there too. Remember George Graham playing for them, and Mark Penfold scoring a goal - or am i dreaming this?
    I was only young so my memory for details back then isn't too great. Not sure about Mark Penfokd scoring though, as I don't ever remember him scoring.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I

Watched on a stream. We were fuckin awesome all over the pitch.

Special mentions to Lapslie who I thought was a warrior and looked like Scott Parker at times.

Big Naby, who’ve ive been critical of, he was immense and collective.

Bielik really showed why Arsenal still have him real class act at times.

And the obvious warriors in Pearce and Taylor.

Excellent, might just be able to forget the cup now if we do Wimbledon Saturday, but wouldn’t it just be so charlton of us to fuck io Saturday though..

The further injuries tonight won't make the task any easier against Wimbledon; getting right down to the bare bones now :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Before checking the score I had an inkling we’d won but I was dreading another loss. The feeling of elation when the screen showed is hard to describe.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I

Special mentions to Lapslie who I thought was a warrior and looked like Scott Parker at times.

Excellent, might just be able to forget the cup now if we do Wimbledon Saturday, but wouldn’t it just be so charlton of us to fuck io Saturday though..

The further injuries tonight won't make the task any easier against Wimbledon; getting right down to the bare bones now :disappointed:
    But apparently Bowyer was wrong to play a second eleven in the cup.
    Bloke who played in the Cup scored the winner today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RedChaser said:

I

And.....
    I'd be far more concerned with the injuries that we already have and the injuries that we may have picked up tonight. I'd rather have Taylor and Grant up front on Saturday than Ajose and Reeco.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I

And.....
    I'd be far more concerned with the injuries that we already have and the injuries that we may have picked up tonight. I'd rather have Taylor and Grant up front on Saturday than Ajose and Reeco.
    Emergency loan ? Is that possible?
  • Options

Hot of the press - a photograph of the Charlton team making their way to the team coach.

Sure that wasn't taken before the game/
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I

I thought it was a lump on his foot not a compound fracture?
  • Options
    Well done chaps, great result.

I thought the Pompey boys in the commentary were a little ungracious to our fine boys, and that a fair few of their boys were over...

Nah, they are a well organised long ball team that pack the box and get the ball in there. I hope they fail because they don’t play football. Sad to say as I have always loved the fact that they have always done so in the past and that is why I have always admired them.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I

And.....
    Emergency loan ? Is that possible?
    I really doubt it but, in any case, that normally involves laying out money so I don't think so.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

At least they're taking it well.

Just watched the highlights. That tackle was a red card all day long.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Uboat said:

Should have been off before that with the Elbow to Beilik

Shame as Ben Thompson had a real good game in truth.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!

• Options
    Sunderland in the playoff final? It could happen.
    Laddick01 said:

ct_addick said:

Don’t know how they are in first place

You don’t have to be incredible to win this league. Just consistent and have a bit of luck.

I think if every team plays at their absolute peak we’re a top 3 or 4 side in this division. Our problem hasn’t been competing with the ‘big boys’ but rather dropping points against some absolutely bang average sides

Still think it’s playoffs, but I’m sure we’re in a much better place for them this year.
  • Options
    Lapslies block with his head /chest/arm/ball bag/whatever is unreal incredible bravery genuinely putting his body on the line take a bow son

Watched on iplayer and I thought first half we totally dominated and it winds me up that they are that many points in front of us cos they aren't that good , it's a pony league and we will make the play offs .

thought the ref leant our way unlike the commentators
    didn't WSS have a mate who was a lino , was that him tonight who has progressed to referee .

• Options
    edited December 2018

addick05 said:

Uboat said:

Should have been off before that with the Elbow to Beilik

Shame as Ben Thompson had a real good game in truth.

Filthy on loan millwall scum

edit : he should know better born in sunny Sidcup
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Uboat said:

It was reckless, with unnecessary force liable to cause injury.
    Which it did, to Taylor.

The referee was positioned about 3 yards away from the incident and saw Thomson launch himself at Taylor. Dangerous play, straight Red Card.

• Options

Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!

The game where George Hope played well. Beat two men, rounded the goalie and slipped it home for his second (I think).
  • Options
    Perfect away performance. Outfought and outplayed by what was a better side.
    Well done Bows.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    That feels like as big a result as Shrewsbury away last season. We needed a win there to stop our season drifting away into mid table obscurity and we got it. Tonight wasn’t quite do or die but it feels massive for our season.

In previous seasons, it’s been around December that things start to fall apart and after losses to Doncaster and Blackpool I had started to getting that sinking feeling once more.

No better way to arrest a slump that to take a deserved three points away from the league leaders on their own patch. It sounds like we won with determination and grit, something that was lacking when the frost of December came to bite under the previous bloke.

Well done Bowyer, well done Jacko, well done Lapslie (special mention well deserved), well done the team and well done the 899 Addicks in the away end that made all the noise for nearly 100 minutes.

Come on you reds!