Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!
    I was also at Fratton Park for that Cup game in 1976.

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
    Remember that as well. My first ever away trip on my own at the age of 13.
    Things were obviously very different then, as I can't imagine letting my boy, who is nearly 15, even going to a home game on his own (although we do live about 65 miles from The Valley).
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I

Watched on a stream. We were fuckin awesome all over the pitch.

Special mentions to Lapslie who I thought was a warrior and looked like Scott Parker at times.

Big Naby, who’ve ive been critical of, he was immense and collective.

Bielik really showed why Arsenal still have him real class act at times.

And the obvious warriors in Pearce and Taylor.

Excellent, might just be able to forget the cup now if we do Wimbledon Saturday, but wouldn’t it just be so charlton of us to fuck io Saturday though..

The further injuries tonight won't make the task any easier against Wimbledon; getting right down to the bare bones now :disappointed:
    But apparently Bowyer was wrong to play a second eleven in the cup.
    Bloke who played in the Cup scored the winner today.
    And.....
    I'd be far more concerned with the injuries that we already have and the injuries that we may have picked up tonight. I'd rather have Taylor and Grant up front on Saturday than Ajose and Reeco.
    Emergency loan ? Is that possible?
    No such thing anymore (apart from goalies I think).
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Was at the Wolves game as a 14 year old traveled on my own. John Richards scored a hat trick I believe. It was a little naughty outside if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Well I don't doubt for one moment that you were there, but where the ???? you all were, i will never know, because I didn't see or hear any large group in any location. If I'd seen it, I would have headed for it, it was pretty much all free terracing in those days. 3-0, and I thought I was celebrating on my own.

I didnt go to Wolves, but I could see on the the telly clips the huge Charlton contingent, which only made me think again, where was everybody at Fratton?

Do you remember being in a big Charlton group, Oggy, and if so, where in the ground?

• Options
    Just wanna add as well the Pompey fans bed wetting is hilarious. Alright the ref had a blunder with Lapslie running the ball of the pitch and he missed a few fouls for both sides, but according to a lot of their fans they should have had at least 3 penalties?! What a load of shite
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody brilliantly!

Can we play every match at Fratton Park?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Hey, Prague and others of us veterans of the 1976 Cup win at Fratton.

Look what I found on a Pompey website:
    http://www.pompeyvoices.co.uk/story/f16b10ba1c

Pathetic, Pompey

Come January, Pompey were rooted to the bottom of the table, and had been virtually since the season started. The club had been on a 17 match winless run between September and December, including a club record 9 match losing run between October and December.

Not surprisingly, the fans turned to the F A Cup for some solace.

A third round home tie with First Division Birmingham attracted 19,414 to Fratton to witness a 1-1 draw, and a Bobby McGuinness goal on the stroke of half time had won the replay.

Next up in the fourth round were Charlton at The Valley, where a very late Norman Piper equaliser had cancelled out a first half penalty by Curtis.

And so to Fratton for a Tuesday night replay, for the right to meet Wolves at Molineux. A big crowd was anticipated, but an attendance of over 31,000 surpassed all expectations, and preparations. Turnstiles ran out of change, and the situation in the main areas of concern, Specks Lane and Milton Lane, were described by one policeman as 'frightening'. Some fans were up to 35 minutes late getting into the ground, having queued for over an hour.

The first half was goalless, Charlton had looked the better side, and had hit the bar, and Pompey had been reduced to high and hopeful tactics, which. with a low level strike force of Piper, McGuiness, and Eames, had produced nothing.

The second half started with Paul Went thundering a shot just wide, and that was to be Pompey's only serious threat of the night. Suddenly Charlton had the game by the throat. A low angled cross by Hope was turned home by Powell, who ghosted in behind Mellows, and beat a statuesque Lloyd.

Three minutes later, Hales got away from a ponderous Lawler, crossed, and Flanagans shot (pictured) skidded through Lloyd's hands.

The rest was a formality, just before the end, Hope outpaced three defenders, rounded Lloyd, and angled home the third.

Ashen faced Manager Ian St John apologised 'We never got started, never put anything together. It was scandalous, absolutely scandalous'.

Effectively the season was now over. Pompey won only five more games, to finish bottom of the table, a distant 12 points from safety.

Team: Grahame Lloyd, Chris Lawler, Micky Mellows, Phil Roberts, Paul Went, Paul Cahill, Bobby McGuiness, Norman Piper, George Graham, Richie Reynolds, Billy Eames (Sub Billy Wilson)

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Hope, Peacock, Flanaghan.

Attendance: 31,722
  • Options

Alright the ref had a blunder with Lapslie running the ball of the pitch

Thing is I don't think the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line , yes the base of the ball may have been off the pitch but the spherical shape of the ball means that that can happen and the ball still be covering the line and therefore be in play .
  • Options
    Lapslie MOM, ran forever and was a target for their bullying.
    Steer made a couple of vital high class saves.
    Pearce put his head in where nobody else would dare - 3 times in all, got a boot in the face and 2 headbutts for his trouble.
    Nabby was Like a brick wall when we needed it.
    That was proper Charlton.
    Well done lads.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Thing is I don't think the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line , yes the base of the ball may have been off the pitch but the spherical shape of the ball means that that can happen and the ball still be covering the line and therefore be in play .
    And the Lino was about 5 yards away! He can't give what he can't see though if Lapslie's body was in the way.
  • Options

I should have said lino, it's really hard to tell, I'm just going with Pompey's views if anything as from what I saw it was either just about on the line or just over. Trying to stay neutral about it but I genuinely think the ref had a good game and not because we won, be nice if we had a ref of that quality most games
  • Options
    What a heroic peformance by Lasplie reflecting on it, goal line face clearance, willingly took a big boot to the face, composure on the ball in all our build ups, usual dagger tackles, the run and attitude to get the ball in the area for the second. Has to be one of my favourite Charlton peformances I've seen recently, love that he is one of our own
  • Options
    The Wolves match mentioned, was that were we were held inside for 20 minutes and marched to the station? A 1st for me. I thought it was a few years later.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Well I don't doubt for one moment that you were there, but where the ???? you all were, i will never know, because I didn't see or hear any large group in any location. If I'd seen it, I would have headed for it, it was pretty much all free terracing in those days. 3-0, and I thought I was celebrating on my own.

I didnt go to Wolves, but I could see on the the telly clips the huge Charlton contingent, which only made me think again, where was everybody at Fratton?

Do you remember being in a big Charlton group, Oggy, and if so, where in the ground?

Well, it's a long time ago now, Prague so a bit hazy ..... evening game, and as the goals were all scored down at the far end, I must have been standing with my mates in the corner of the long side or the corner behind the other goal. Can't be precise now, but there were a decent number of us and great singing after the match walking down the street, going back to the coaches and station.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:
    They are such a load of inbred cnuts.
    Oh yes, they are.

Official trust view? Or just "banter"?

Seriously though what a great result tonight, sounds like everyone man did his duty and george was outstanding? Love the tweet from naby after the game. E I e I o......
  • Options
    The quality paper that is the Newshopper has a post on Newstalk "Charlton win against 10 man Portsmouth", I know that this is strictly accurate but as the red card happened in injury time it does rather downgrade our performance.
  • Options
    Halix said:

The quality paper that is the Newshopper has a post on Newstalk "Charlton win against 10 man Portsmouth", I know that this is strictly accurate but as the red card happened in injury time it does rather downgrade our performance.

They should have had two players sent off for that tackle, looked like a shocker from the away end.
  • Options
    I made my train

Big thanks to Vince and the lads otherwise would be an Uber
    Happy days
  • Options

What a brilliant performance!!

Great to see the old results. I can go back a little earlier - Mar or Apr 1967 Pompey 1-2 CAFC. Charlton were flirting with relegation but Firmani's return gradually put paid to that. A second-half masterclass by Campbell and Firmani saw us home in a tough old game.

Very proud of the team tonight - just hope they have something left for Saturday.
  • Options
    Question? Why were people listening to the Pompey commentary when Charlton was available. Our lot are ultra biased but I'd rather listen to our bias than someone else's.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Question? Why were people listening to the Pompey commentary when Charlton was available. Our lot are ultra biased but I'd rather listen to our bias than someone else's.

I’m presuming they were watching the game on iPlayer and it automatically (don’t know if you can change it ) comes with Pompey commentary , that’s what I did anyway
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2018
    What I do is mute the iPlayer commentary and listen to the Charlton one on Valley Pass. Sometimes the two need syncing up but it's easy to do.