Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!
    I was also at Fratton Park for that Cup game in 1976.

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
  • Options
    I remember the game in 76 and didn't see hardly any Charlton fans there. Thought it strange at the time that no one travelled. Wolves was certainly different.
  • Options

What I find so frustrating is, the games I've seen all the way through this season, I really enjoyed, even Sunderland where we lost. They reminded me why I still love Charlton, why I still love football. And they were the games which had the stamp of Lee Bowyer the player on them. Even the commentators tonight said that about our performance.

If only we had an ownership and an infrastructure to back him, Bowyer would get us out of this bloody hell hole and onwards and upwards. I'm convinced he's got what it takes, even though he is less than a year into the job. But we are stuck with that idiot. It's a tragedy. We have to keep up the pressure on him to sell.

I hate Roland for the above. I hate him for us being in League One and I hate him because I can’t be there to give Lee and his team my support to see us get out of this tin pot League. Just sell up and fuck off you senile old prick.

100%
  • Options
    Great win but we need to hope and pray that Grant and Taylor aren't out for any serious length of time.

2 very winnable home games next up although they are against 2 of our bogey sides.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Watched on Ifollow. Did well. Pearce immense. Steer a bit rocky at the end and rode our luck a little second half but deserved the win. It was 10 v 10 at end as Marshall was limping. Lapslie was great love his energy

stonemuse said:
    That's a bit harsh on ct_addick.
  • Options

stonemuse said:
    They are such a load of inbred cnuts.
    Oh yes, they are.

On no they aren't!

Sorry, I thought I was at the pantomime.
  • Options
    Thank goodness we rested those players against Doncaster.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

You're right. Let's just give them the three points for being such nice people. Hoping our team coach crashes is just friendly banter.
    'The Addams Family' song works though, right? Friendly banter! Phew, that's a relief!

Let's face it, every single club has its minority of 'over enthusiastic' supporters who understandably get wrapped up in the moment and say/sing really stupid things that they wouldn't necessarily do; it's football and it's embedded in the culture, rightly or wrongly. As for Pompey fans (in my experience)? Certainly not the worst I've encountered, that's for sure.
  • Options
    All these injuries prolly down to a lack of match fitness , should never have rested them !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Scoham said:
    He may be error prone at times, but i've grown to like Nabby.
    Naby "The Enforcer" Sarr
  • Options
    Just realised the elbow and horror tackle was from the same player - shows how you have to act in the first instance. Taylor could have had his leg broken. I believe and have said it on numerous occasions, that ability wise we are the best or at least one of the best. We have far better players than Portsmouth, but they have been put together to be effective at this level and are doing that well so far. They are light years behind Wigan and Blackburn last season though.

One of the strange things at this level, is I see a decent team that are struggling a bit and then I see a crap team that are high up. There has to be a reason for that, but it is clear that the ability of your players is not the most important thing. Mind you, if you compete in the other areas and have the ability then you have Wigan last season.

• Options
    7 wins in 8 at Fratton Park. Not sure we’ve ever managed a run like that at The Valley!

What a result. Following time added on on twitter and betfair was horrific with the injuries and red card etc , constantly saying betting suspended and it dragged on forever.

These boys deserved a win like that after all the harsh late points we’ve dropped this season.

Still can’t see us challenging the top 2... but it would be great to be in touch with it come Sunderland at the valley on 5th Jan which could then have a real big game feel.
  • Options
    I predicted we would get second at the start of the season. We still have a long long way to go but this type of performance gives me hope. We are so much better under Lee Bowyer. Wonderful performance.
  • Options
    I know a lot of you had a great evening yesterday at Fratton Park, watching on iFollow, listening to Tel and Greg on Valley Pass, or just following the match thread on here but ...

According to the BBC it didn't happen, there is no mention of the game at all on the webshite:

The Division Three homepage

The CAFC homepage

Sorry to disappoint you all. Stand down, as you were, nothing to see here.

Now, back to the main story: wasn't Lord Bowyer daft to rest all those players in the Cup game and then lose to Blackpool ...
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!
    I was also at Fratton Park for that Cup game in 1976.

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
    My first trip to Pompey would have been 1962 or 63.
    I was there when Jimmy Dickinson played his 600th game for Pompey.....which I believe was the 1962 game? He went on to play a total of 764 league games for them......plus FA Cup games.
    Our captain that day was Mike Bailey who presented him with a silver salver on the pitch before kick-off from players & staff at CAFC.
    Believe I am right in saying that Pompey are the club we have played against more than any other.

• Options

7 wins in 8 at Fratton Park. Not sure we’ve ever managed a run like that at The Valley!

What a result. Following time added on on twitter and betfair was horrific with the injuries and red card etc , constantly saying betting suspended and it dragged on forever.

These boys deserved a win like that after all the harsh late points we’ve dropped this season.

Still can’t see us challenging the top 2... but it would be great to be in touch with it come Sunderland at the valley on 5th Jan which could then have a real big game feel.

That game would have been called off if it wasnt for Liam Kinsella......FA Cup 3rd day.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Brilliant result and a great trip down to Fratton. Thought we were great value for the win and probably should have been out of sight before the late come back. Ajose should have put us 3 up with 30 minutes to go. Dragged it wide from about 10 yards.

Portsmouth were very physical and dominated but we stood firm and battled hard. I can see why they are top but I think they are there to be caught.

Some of the football we played in the second half was spectacular with a 2 minute spell when we were playing one touch football in Pompey’s final third.

Overall, a top win which shows we are the business this season. Hopefully, Taylor and Grant aren’t out for too long.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Sounds like Karlan is a sensible lad... Could have played on (I did wonder why he stayed on for so long after getting the initial treatment) yet went off to ensure no further damage was done

Was maybe a little bit selfish seeing he was causing them endless issues yet will be the right call seeing we dont want to lose him for six weeks!!
  • Options
    Hope the lads up top are ok

Still buzzing off that win after 4 hours kip

6 points before Xmas please lads
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never expected that, great win, if we can get Cullen back fit for final 3 months we might just have a chance, assuming the rest stay fit. Lapslie a new star in the making - great stuff.
  • Options
    Sky sports Alex Green:
    “Charlton defender taking a painful one in the face”. Defender..
  • Options

I find Bowyers interviews refreshingly honest.....he’s not prone to needless waffle and as a rule just says it like it is.
    Long may it continue.

I love em, it’s like he’s skipped all media training, and hope he continues to do so. Such a more cutting and honest assessment compared with pretty every other manager.

Last night he said “when’s there a bit of a fracas, they all stick together”. Brilliant.
  • Options

LouisMend said:
    Sounds like Karlan is a sensible lad... Could have played on (I did wonder why he stayed on for so long after getting the initial treatment) yet went off to ensure no further damage was done

Was maybe a little bit selfish seeing he was causing them endless issues yet will be the right call seeing we dont want to lose him for six weeks!!
    He did get his goal after first feeling it and Ajose (who replaced him) got the second - so that worked well for a change :)
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Uboat said:

At least they're taking it well.

Just watched the highlights. That tackle was a red card all day long.
    The ball may have been over the line but the linesman was right there and so I doubt it, you can see all the line but the ball may have not completely crossed it. The tackle wasn't a jump in two footed but was two footed, one of which took Taylor out.
  • Options
    Great performance and result, just hope injuries don't cost us again.