Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland Til I Die - Netflix

Comments

• Options
    God I miss football.
  • Options
    Methven is suck a dick. Just binge watched the whole 6 episodes.
  • Options
    Some of the editing was iffy but the episode where they had the owner or CEO talking about team players and staying on board for the ride or packing out as Maja was disappearing down the tunnel and then cut to the comms woman leaving, although it went unstated. I’d like to have heard from her about her boss after she left. Being told to f***ing get him the attendance figure in the next 5 minutes was probably the final straw
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Oh and Luke O’Nien is a top bloke
    Yeah liked him as a player before seeing him on this but comes across as a really decent lad too

Bet a few Sunderland fans will enjoy the truth about Will Grigg; Owner goes on the radio, doesnt overly defend his Manager over the signing, yet its clear from their chat on deadline day that Ross didnt want them paying over the odds

Feels a bit like Jack Ross got a harsh share of the blame for last season, of course didnt get sacked after the Play-Off Final but still
  • Options
    Stewart Donald going for the Lucozade on deadline day, legend 

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Max Power being a bit revealing in Ep5!!
  • Options
    Oh and Luke O’Nien is a top bloke
    Comes across really well.  Suspect a lot could learn from the bit where he says I might only be on for 5 minutes but I need to do everything to be ready for those.5 minutes.
  • Options
    Just finished episode 6, I really do feel bad for their fans. They've been through so much shit just like we have. I really hope they get their day in the limelight very soon. They deserve it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those having a crack at young Maja ask yourself what you would do in his position....commit your future to the hands of a pair of dodgy chancers or cash out and get a great move elsewhere that sets you up for life?

Sunderland didn’t have to sell him, they could have kept him and used him to get an auto spot and then let him go.....but they chose to take the cash.
  • Options
    Haven’t finished it yet but I thought the stuff with Sophie the marketing woman was extremely poorly handled. I’m a TV producer who has made several documentaries over the years and the way this was edited, and the focus on her as a dud, insolent employee, was appalling.
    Remember this is a single mum who presumably lives in the area and will be looking for another job, not a £50k a week footballer (Maja) that the series should be about. It feels like it was cut like this because the source material was so thin. 
    This and the Tiger King, where Carole Baskin claims the show was edited to sex up the ‘she killed her husband’ allegations, is not showing Netflix in a great light. Yes give film makers freedom but Netflix has a responsibility to hold those film makers to account before broadcast. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Haven’t finished it yet but I thought the stuff with Sophie the marketing woman was extremely poorly handled. I’m a TV producer who has made several documentaries over the years and the way this was edited, and the focus on her as a dud, insolent employee, was appalling.
    Remember this is a single mum who presumably lives in the area and will be looking for another job, not a £50k a week footballer (Maja) that the series should be about. It feels like it was cut like this because the source material was so thin. 
    This and the Tiger King, where Carole Baskin claims the show was edited to sex up the ‘she killed her husband’ allegations, is not showing Netflix in a great light. Yes give film makers freedom but Netflix has a responsibility to hold those film makers to account before broadcast. 
    Interesting post. Haven't watched it yet, but I will remember your point. Have to say I didn't recall anything like that in S1 though, and wonder if you did (if you have seen S1).
  • Options
    Watched the 1st 5 episodes last night. 

Some things I found intresting/revealing/shocking.

The lady that works in the canteen is so fickle.  She was gushing over Grayson, Coleman now the new guys.   Every time had a dig at the previous people. 

The season they were in the championship ALL the ticket money went in interest payments 🤯🤯🤯

The comment about "your club" and "his club" was spot on.  Probably almost worthy of a thread on its own.

My mind was also taken back to posts on here during the January window relating to Grant/Maja and Grigg/Parker.

The club, and probably most similar size clubs including us, is an absolute basket case. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kafka said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Big Matt Southall vibes coming from Methven 
    Where does football find such wankers
    It isn't just football. He came into it with an open goal truth, That was that Sunderland was not well run. The problem was he took that and blamed the wrong people and was a diversive character. He was diversive because he saw himself as the solution and all the existing staff as the problem. The people he was undermining and blaming were responsible for their individual roles, not the strategy the club employed and he could have united them. You saw the owner make a ridiculous decision in the transfer window that explained why these clubs fail more than the ticket sellers/marketing people.
  • Options
    Watched the first three episodes. The best bit so far is the focus on the Irish marketing girl who clearly thinks Methven is an utter prick. 
    Yes agreed and she was right! Total plum 
  • Options
    Actually finding it painful to watch on account of Methven. That he got to where he did was an absolute triumph of self-belief over ability. You can tell that he thinks he's the greatest living Englishman. These people always rise to the top. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    straight to last episode - saw my flag

sunderland didnt think they deserved to lose that way - they created nothing and we scored there goal for them. 
    To be fair, no-one deserves to lose like that. It was one of the greatest moments in sport of my life, but I can't imagine what it must be like to be on the other end of it, having traveled all that way down to be in attendance. I'm fuming when we concede a last minute equaliser against Huddersfield on a Tuesday night and I'm sat on my sofa, I probably still wouldn't have recovered if we'd been on the receiving end of this
    Not to mention it was their second Wembley defeat of the season.

All that way to lose one final on penalties and the other in the 94th minute.
    my best mate is actually a sunderland fan, we normally text everyday, he didn't speak to me for about 2 weeks and yesterday said he felt like he was a bit depressed for the few months after. Think after a few horrible years of getting beaten everygame and then the season ending the way it did was really tough for them as a fanbase. Hard to take, but I'd rather they lost that way in the 94th minute than us! 

Was going to suggest a viewing party on Netlfix for the final episode!! 
  • Options
    The flip chart bloke was obsessing about the Dance of the Knights music, one of the staff mentioned the sound system. They were only a fag paper from promotion, the Maja/Grigg thing did for them.
    Money in football has become obscene and corrupting.
    Great club Sunderland, with great fans.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Interesting post. Haven't watched it yet, but I will remember your point. Have to say I didn't recall anything like that in S1 though, and wonder if you did (if you have seen S1).
    No I don’t think there was any of this in season one. The series is built on finding ‘characters’ like other docs in this genre. Feels to me like they didn’t have enough from their rushes so built a story around Sophie. 
    They would no doubt argue letting her go highlighted Charlie’s new broom philosophy. But some of the cutaways (Sophie tutting at a meeting, her saying 40,000 wasn’t achievable) paints her in a really bad light and could affect her career and life outside of a six part documentary. That’s irresponsible film making in my view. 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Charlie Methven is an absolute c-unit.
    Is he the COO of the club?
     I was just wondering if that if being that out of touch is a requirement of that job title! 
  • Options
    I think Stewart Donald comes across as a nice bloke, but Charlie Methven is Southall levels of slimy. The stuff with the PA system and walkout music is pure Brent
  • Options
    Oh and the Irish Marketing lady is an absolute worldie!
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Explains a lot.