Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland Til I Die - Netflix

Comments

• Options
    As much of a complete bell end he was/is, Methven did get it right at half-time of the final when he said you can't sit back and defend for 90 minutes after getting a gift of a goal after 5 and expect to win.
    Yes, the only one that seemed to have missed that was Ross. Ross came over as a better manager than I thought he was, but he was too sacred to lose. The big error was not keeping Maya - they could have let his contract run out, but they clearly thought they could replace him and it proved to be an expensive mistake.
  • Options
    Binged the whole series today whilst working, thoroughly enjoyed the ending i must say! Donald seemed to be a football fan who made some money and tried to live the dream, which you can't fault him for, however his number 2 Charlie if i remember correctly, what an arrogant prick he is. If only the highs of last may still existed right now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Valley11 said:
    Haven’t finished it yet but I thought the stuff with Sophie the marketing woman was extremely poorly handled. I’m a TV producer who has made several documentaries over the years and the way this was edited, and the focus on her as a dud, insolent employee, was appalling.
    Remember this is a single mum who presumably lives in the area and will be looking for another job, not a £50k a week footballer (Maja) that the series should be about. It feels like it was cut like this because the source material was so thin. 
    This and the Tiger King, where Carole Baskin claims the show was edited to sex up the ‘she killed her husband’ allegations, is not showing Netflix in a great light. Yes give film makers freedom but Netflix has a responsibility to hold those film makers to account before broadcast. 
    I felt the same about the Sophie stuff. She did come across as a bit insolent, but fuck me, who wouldn’t be pissed off working for that bellend. And that’s before you even think about how they edited it.
    Also, what was the deal with the Boxing Day attendance? They were going on about aiming for 40,000 - then they looked like falling short, (at this point I was a bit distracted by other stuff, so not really focused on the programme and might’ve missed something), then RedTrousers started bellowing at Sophie about “I DON’T CARE! I’M NOT A CORPORATION! I’LL SAY IT’S 40, 41, 42, UP TO 46,000” or something. Then they announced 46,039.
    So did they pull it out of the bag or was he just lying?
  • Options
    I felt bad seeing it from their perspective, but they would have celebrated had they won. The important thing is to have the class not to want to rub it in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think I could bring myself to watch this if we had lost
  • Options
    Just watched episode 2, interesting the discussion about Maja, his contract and his agent (same as Aribo's) i'm sure you could cross reference those discussions to the Joe Aribo thread on here and find a very similar detailed discussion.
  • Options
    Just watched episode 2, interesting the discussion about Maja, his contract and his agent (same as Aribo's) i'm sure you could cross reference those discussions to the Joe Aribo thread on here and find a very similar detailed discussion.
    It has his fingerprints all over it.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    EXACTLY what i thought! Brilliant

timnicebutdim

how do these prats get jobs? Obviously he’ll inevitably get linked with a job at cafc. Good luck to him. 

3rd time lucky for them next time we meet them at wembley. I wouldnt begrudge them tbf lol. 
  • Options
    When you look at their Wembley record you can feel their pain. Who can really know, but I think the Checkatrade Trophy was not something they should have taken seriously. Neither them or Portsmouth needed the distraction. No complaints here though.
  • Options
    Only watched the first couple of episodes where everyone is still in the honeymoon period, but the alarm bells were ringing re. Methven the minute he mentioned changing the music they run out to and trying to make it sound like a dance club. Might as well have put on a t-shirt with "I DON'T GET IT" emblazoned on the front.
  • Options
    When you look at their Wembley record you can feel their pain. Who can really know, but I think the Checkatrade Trophy was not something they should have taken seriously. Neither them or Portsmouth needed the distraction. No complaints here though.
    It ruined both their seasons... the Semi-Finals between those two confirmed that, quite simply those matches were shite because the two sets of players were exhausted

Its also the reason why Sunderland's form nose dived in those last three league games as up until then; promotion was in their hands still
  • Options
    The fans take a lot of blame for the Checktrade too. Didn't more of them turn up for that than the play off final. I think Sunderland should be embarrassed that we took more fans to Wembley even though we are of course closer. The reason they didn't is they focused on the wrong game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fans take a lot of blame for the Checktrade too. Didn't more of them turn up for that than the play off final. I think Sunderland should be embarrassed that we took more fans to Wembley even though we are of course closer. The reason they didn't is they focused on the wrong game. 
    Seems as well they didnt bother with the Semi Final at Sunderland either - I get the rule about ST Holders have to buy their tickets for these games and that the North is a lot poorer the South but their attendance figures we awful for the club of their size for that game because they were saving their money for Wembley

They had home advantage first so could have made it bloody intimidating for Portsmouth before going down to the South Coast a bit more comfortable
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Look, neither us nor Sunderland belong in League One. But we probably have less of a case for not belonging there than they do. So FFS, it is not a trophy you should have any desire to win. We had our eye on the real prize and when margins are small, that can make the difference. Those that attended the Final with Pompey and not the play-off semi and the far more important final are part of their problem. Money is no excuse as they found it for the Checkatrade.
  • Options
    Binge watched all six episodes knowing the last one would be the best - and it was. Can never get bored with seeing Bauer put the ball in the net - still get goose bumps.
     Agree that Charlie Methven comes across as a complete twat. Wonder he hasn't copped a right hander the way he talks to people.
     Do feel sorry for the Sunderland fans, though. They deserve better than League One. 
  • Options
    Just binge watched this today. God I miss football, can't wait until everything is back to normal. 
    Like others said, that Charlie is a right wrong 'un, very yuppie and up his own backside. I thought McGeady came across very well which is good. 

I feel sorry for their fans too cos they are proper ones that don't deserve all the shit their team / ownership deals up. Still bloody glad we won the playoff final though! 

Seriously cannot wait to be back at The Valley again whenever that may be. 
  • Options
    Very decent people. Always had the upmost respect for Sunderland 
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Wait, I thought Stewart Donald was the one being compared to Brent? Sounds just like him. 
  • Options
    For the big club they are for that league they were very excited about getting to Wembley for the JPT final which maybe is probably down to them getting to the Arch for the first time in a while whereas only being in the play-offs was a disappointment for them - they clearly expected and demanded promotion (I mean Luton won the league..)

Maybe it was the same for you guys? - but you hit the jackpot anyway.

Not that you'll complain but losing on penalties and in the final minute must have been rather painful!
  • Options
    Just finished it, thought the first series was better (apart from the end).

My favourite bit until the last episode was Donald losing the plot on transfer deadline day and going from £1.25M to £3M rising to £4M on Will Grigg in a matter of minutes. Bet Wigan couldn’t accept that one fast enough! 

I’m kind of confused by the Maja situation, how did he sign for Bordeaux without them knowing? He was still under contract with Sunderland at the time, did I miss the bit where they actually accepted an offer for him?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Just finished it, thought the first series was better (apart from the end).

My favourite bit until the last episode was Donald losing the plot on transfer deadline day and going from £1.25M to £3M rising to £4M on Will Grigg in a matter of minutes. Bet Wigan couldn’t accept that one fast enough! 

I’m kind of confused by the Maja situation, how did he sign for Bordeaux without them knowing? He was still under contract with Sunderland at the time, did I miss the bit where they actually accepted an offer for him?
    It was poorly edited. Series 1 was much better. 
    Donald and the posh twat came across as clueless.
    Grigg was a name not a goal scorer