Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    @Oakster - you don’t  have to train though...
    Now you tell me 😜

Actually am signed up for a 10k race on the penultimate day of the trip, so gotta keep going. 
  • Options
    Currently on a train holiday (classic Charlton!) along the North coast of Spain, stopping off along the way at various places in Cantabria, Asturias and currently in Galicia. Stunning scenery and beautiful little villages.
    Have a nice time.

It takes me back many years inter railling.  We'd spend the day in one city then back on the overnight train to the next. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

The Olympics are on in Tokyo Friday 24th July -Sunday August 9th 

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
    All booked.  Away Late March to early April for 19 days.  2 weeks in Japan (visiting Tokyo, Nagano, Hakone, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto and Osaka) before flying to Singapore to stay in the Marina Bay Sands hotel for 5 days chilling in that infinity pool on the 57th floor.  Eeek.  My bum twitches just looking at the picture of it.  Wish us luck, our daughter will turn 1 when we are there.  Looking forward to the electronic shops in Tokyo and experiencing the bullet trains.  Wife gets to see the blossom trees and get her bucket list wish of staying in that hotel in Singapore.  Trailfinders managed to sort us out premium economy bulkhead seats with the bassinet, so hopefully the long flight isn't too bad for the little one.  They wanted another £3k for business class.

Just got back from Singapore 10 days ago, part work/part vacation. Used to visit a lot but hadn't been there since 2005. Has been a tremendous amount of development in that time, especially around where you are staying.

We originally booked to stay in the Marina Bay Sands but then decided to switch to the Fullerton Hotel across the water from it as we wanted somewhere quieter. We did take a look inside the Marina Bay Sands. It is quite something. The Gardens on the Bay just behind the hotel are worth going around, particularly late afternoon/early evening with the light show at 7:45 pm and 8:45 pm.
    Love the Fullerton....best Singapore Slings we had out there....better then Raffles.
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    MrOneLung said:
    @Oakster - you don’t  have to train though...
    Now you tell me 😜

Actually am signed up for a 10k race on the penultimate day of the trip, so gotta keep going. 
    You appear to have not gone on holiday by mistake... 
  • Options
    Currently on a train holiday (classic Charlton!) along the North coast of Spain, stopping off along the way at various places in Cantabria, Asturias and currently in Galicia. Stunning scenery and beautiful little villages.
    Lovely part of the world...would like to see more of it someday.
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    Enjoying the sun and Pacifc in beautiful Mendocino, California.

Only problem is having a daghter that needs to train every day as part of her pre-season program (she’s a Nordic Skier).

3 long trail runs, a 4 hour canoe trip at relentless pace and just in off a 43km Mountain Bike ride - and we are only on day six.

i love it really...

Are you Molly Blooms Dad?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
    All booked.  Away Late March to early April for 19 days.  2 weeks in Japan (visiting Tokyo, Nagano, Hakone, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto and Osaka) before flying to Singapore to stay in the Marina Bay Sands hotel for 5 days chilling in that infinity pool on the 57th floor.  Eeek.  My bum twitches just looking at the picture of it.  Wish us luck, our daughter will turn 1 when we are there.  Looking forward to the electronic shops in Tokyo and experiencing the bullet trains.  Wife gets to see the blossom trees and get her bucket list wish of staying in that hotel in Singapore.  Trailfinders managed to sort us out premium economy bulkhead seats with the bassinet, so hopefully the long flight isn't too bad for the little one.  They wanted another £3k for business class.

Just got back from Singapore 10 days ago, part work/part vacation. Used to visit a lot but hadn't been there since 2005. Has been a tremendous amount of development in that time, especially around where you are staying.

We originally booked to stay in the Marina Bay Sands but then decided to switch to the Fullerton Hotel across the water from it as we wanted somewhere quieter. We did take a look inside the Marina Bay Sands. It is quite something. The Gardens on the Bay just behind the hotel are worth going around, particularly late afternoon/early evening with the light show at 7:45 pm and 8:45 pm.
    Love the Fullerton....best Singapore Slings we had out there....better then Raffles.
    Must admit we didn't try them at the Fullerton but we did revisit Raffles. Love throwing the monkey nut shells on the floor!
  • Options
    Fullerton Brunch if they still do it. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Best places in Italy to visit? Having been twice before when I was younger, I've always wanted to go back.

Verona, Florence, Rome is currently top of the list. Either just going to Verona on its own for a few days or doing Florence for a day or 2 and then on to Rome.
    Absolutely loved Venice & Rome.
    We went to Venice in February, it was chilly and foggy in the evenings but the days were bright and sunny.  Beautiful place.
    We stayed at the Hyatt Centric on the nearby island of Murano (it was called something else when we went about 4 years ago) but the hotel was lovely.

Cant recommend the hotel we stayed in at Rome (I organised that trip and I was on a budget) but know of a stunning but great value restaurant near the Trevi Fountains if anyone needs a recommendation.
    Visiting Rome for the first time next weekend, if you could let me know the restaurant recommendation that would be great @johnboyuk
  • Options
    Dont know what all the moaning is about Venice and the price of things, most cafes and restaurants were very reasonable, probably cheaper than Greenwich.

Even Souvenirs we cheaper than most places we visited.

Beautiful place, we went when it was about 90deg back in June and the place was stunning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont know what all the moaning is about Venice and the price of things, most cafes and restaurants were very reasonable, probably cheaper than Greenwich.

Even Souvenirs we cheaper than most places we visited.

Beautiful place, we went when it was about 90deg back in June and the place was stunning. 
    100%, the only very high prices for coffee etc is in the center of St Marks Square, we paid 28 Euros for 2 x coffee's and a couple of fancy cakes however whilst you are enjoying the food and coffee and taking in the stunning surroundings you are being serenaded by live musicians. 
  • Options
    Just booked Mauritius for November... Can. Not. Wait. 
  • Options
    Anyone know of any good websites / hotels in England where they cater for people with mobility issues?

Ie a walk in shower etc..
    Premier Inn are usually good.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Went there in 2004 (so things would probably have changed since then), flew via Paris with Air France, and stayed just outside Grand Baie. Highlights were visiting Ile aux Cerfs, Lion Mountain, Botanical Gardens and the capital Port Louis (visit the Merchant Navy Club if you go there). We hired a car and drove all over the place (though we took a local bus to Port Louis). Some of the scenery was stunning though it can get very cloudy in the centre of the island. Grand Baie was OKish....quite a few bars and restaurants but the main shopping centre was in the process of being rebuilt after a gas explosion and it kind of took the edge of the place.  Pereybere just along the coast from Grand Baie is nice with a couple of decent restaurants, we stayed at Merville Beach Hotel. 
  • Options
    Best places in Italy to visit? Having been twice before when I was younger, I've always wanted to go back.

Verona, Florence, Rome is currently top of the list. Either just going to Verona on its own for a few days or doing Florence for a day or 2 and then on to Rome.
    If you go to Florence try and go to Siena and San Gimignano. There is some amazing countryside and buildings around Tuscany but it helps to have a car to travel around.
    I also visited Pisa and Volterra when I was there which were both impressive.

Siena is less crowded than Florence but just as impressive and the main square is an amazing sight. San Gimingnano is a walled medieval town which has a great atmosphere - feels like a trip back in the past.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

We went to Venice in February, it was chilly and foggy in the evenings but the days were bright and sunny.  Beautiful place.
    We stayed at the Hyatt Centric on the nearby island of Murano (it was called something else when we went about 4 years ago) but the hotel was lovely.

Cant recommend the hotel we stayed in at Rome (I organised that trip and I was on a budget) but know of a stunning but great value restaurant near the Trevi Fountains if anyone needs a recommendation.
    Visiting Rome for the first time next weekend, if you could let me know the restaurant recommendation that would be great @johnboyuk
    Il Chianti Vineria
    Via del Lavatore, 81-82, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
    +39 06 679 2470
    https://goo.gl/maps/utUoDVwzJ9QjTgjY6

Make sure you book in advance, its very popular!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Fullerton is a great hotel 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Wonderful place, so much to see 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Il Chianti Vineria
    Via del Lavatore, 81-82, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
    +39 06 679 2470
    https://goo.gl/maps/utUoDVwzJ9QjTgjY6

Make sure you book in advance, its very popular!
    Thanks mate, much appreciated! 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Fullerton is a great hotel 
    Was very fortunate to have spent a few nights at the Fullerton, our tenancy agreement on our apartment finished 4 days before our flight back home so managed to wangle a few nights in there on the wife's company. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those who are thinking of doing a cruise and have a couple of days holiday left.
    P and O Oceana have rescheduled their winter programme 
    A 35 night cruise no fly Caribbean £1400.
    A 7 nighter £450
    14 different ones in total.
    They go on sale tomorrow and you can pre register tonight.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for family friendly bars in Fuengirola? 
    Been in a lovely villa outside Seville the last week but kids are climbing the walls so booked one night in the Marina Park hotel in fuengirola.  Fancy a karaoke/live music bar that welcomes families 
    Any ideas? 
  • Options
    Me and the missus back to Rome at end of August for 5 days, will be popping the question. Excited and terrified at the same time.
    Good luck Gary, keep us posted.
  • Options
    Sitting by the pool in San Pedro de Pinatar in southern Spain, hot, sunny, beer, Charlton life, what else do I need? 
  • Options
    I was super dad the other night as I won the evening game show at the hotel. The mascot is Russell the Brussel and every night they have a compo for a t shirt. When I told my daughter that Russell Brussel was my nickname at school she was desperate for me to win. I went up against a woman in a ninja challenge and I’m afraid to say my competitive dad jeans kicked in and I wiped the floor with her (to be fair, she was fucking rubbish).

Apparently she was on stage that night as it was her 25th anniversary. Still thought she was hopeless and I was invincible.

Saw her with her family today by the pool. Her old man is blind and has clearly been suffering health wise and their kid is special needs.

Realised that kissing my (non-existant) guns and sliding to the floor when I won probably wasn’t my finest hour.
    Be the big man
    Go round the pool with the shirt offer it the lady in question saying her performance was awsome and she was the worthy winner and the judges were mugs then go to the bar and have a deserved few pints to celebrate ur good deed for the day
  • Options
    If you fly/drive to Florence, stay here: https://palagina.it/en/

It’s next to Chianti country, shopping outlets 15mins up the road and 25 min drive from Florence. Have been there three times, just the perfect base.

Saw the Giro D’Italia the last time and visited two vineyards. Check out Fontodi, my fave wine there.
  • Options
    I was super dad the other night as I won the evening game show at the hotel. The mascot is Russell the Brussel and every night they have a compo for a t shirt. When I told my daughter that Russell Brussel was my nickname at school she was desperate for me to win. I went up against a woman in a ninja challenge and I’m afraid to say my competitive dad jeans kicked in and I wiped the floor with her (to be fair, she was fucking rubbish).

Apparently she was on stage that night as it was her 25th anniversary. Still thought she was hopeless and I was invincible.

Saw her with her family today by the pool. Her old man is blind and has clearly been suffering health wise and their kid is special needs.

Realised that kissing my (non-existant) guns and sliding to the floor when I won probably wasn’t my finest hour.
    Russell the Brussel? A sprout as a mascot? Pictures please...  
  • Options

Be the big man
    Go round the pool with the shirt offer it the lady in question saying her performance was awsome and she was the worthy winner and the judges were mugs then go to the bar and have a deserved few pints to celebrate ur good deed for the day
    They gave her one as well as it was her anniversary 
  • Options

Be the big man
    They I gave her one as well as it was her anniversary 
       Edited in true Mehmet style.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!