Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Returned from a fortnight in Mexico yesterday. All day meeting and over 500 emails to get through

fuck this - take me back
    I was compelled to read them all.
    My boss just ignored them all and said if any were important, they would send another one.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

The Olympics are on in Tokyo Friday 24th July -Sunday August 9th 

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
    All booked.  Away Late March to early April for 19 days.  2 weeks in Japan (visiting Tokyo, Nagano, Hakone, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto and Osaka) before flying to Singapore to stay in the Marina Bay Sands hotel for 5 days chilling in that infinity pool on the 57th floor.  Eeek.  My bum twitches just looking at the picture of it.  Wish us luck, our daughter will turn 1 when we are there.  Looking forward to the electronic shops in Tokyo and experiencing the bullet trains.  Wife gets to see the blossom trees and get her bucket list wish of staying in that hotel in Singapore.  Trailfinders managed to sort us out premium economy bulkhead seats with the bassinet, so hopefully the long flight isn't too bad for the little one.  They wanted another £3k for business class.

• Options
    So, Tunisia anyone?

Anyone been recently?  My ex-wife has just this second told me she's taking my daughter their next week.  I googled Tunisia and the first thing that comes up in Foreign Office travel advice.  My first thought was back to the beach attack in 2015.  Anyone want to put my mind at rest?!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So, Tunisia anyone?

Anyone been recently?  My ex-wife has just this second told me she's taking my daughter their next week.  I googled Tunisia and the first thing that comes up in Foreign Office travel advice.  My first thought was back to the beach attack in 2015.  Anyone want to put my mind at rest?!
    What gets me is
    You might say to the ex later in the year your going to borough marker for a meal with your daughter.
    The ex wife will probably have the front to say you sure you should be taking her there.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So, Tunisia anyone?

What gets me is
    You might say to the ex later in the year your going to borough marker for a meal with your daughter.
    The ex wife will probably have the front to say you sure you should be taking her there.

I was under the impression that if the FO advised not to go your travel insurance would be null and void should any incident occurs ???
  • Options
    All the tour operators started again last year presumably after foreign office advice. 

Would you worry sbout about her going to Paris or the States ?  
  • Options
    I’m off to Carcassonne and a few days in Cadaqués in between. 
  • Options
    Currently in Porto Vecchio. Very impressed with both the historic town and local beaches.
    Cant find anywhere that does a full English and a pint of Carling for €5 though, so only 4/5 stars.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So, Tunisia anyone?

What gets me is

I was under the impression that if the FO advised not to go your travel insurance would be null and void should any incident occurs ???
    Yes it can do, depends on the wording 'warns against all travel', 'all but essentail travel' etc
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m off to Carcassonne and a few days in Cadaqués in between. 
    We loved Carcassonne; it was a real find as only booked it the morning we flew as our original plans were cancelled. Lovely bars and restaurants the ohter side of the bridge between the medieval town and the lower town. Great pizza place nearby too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best places in Italy to visit? Having been twice before when I was younger, I've always wanted to go back.

Verona, Florence, Rome is currently top of the list. Either just going to Verona on its own for a few days or doing Florence for a day or 2 and then on to Rome.
  • Options
    really enjoyed rome, we went to a 6 nations game whilst over there which was good also. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So, Tunisia anyone?

What gets me is

Feel a bit better about it now after my wife calmed me down when I got home.
    But you're right, the risk is probably the same everywhere these days.
  • Options
    Best places in Italy to visit? Having been twice before when I was younger, I've always wanted to go back.

Verona, Florence, Rome is currently top of the list. Either just going to Verona on its own for a few days or doing Florence for a day or 2 and then on to Rome.
    Absolutely loved Venice & Rome.
    We went to Venice in February, it was chilly and foggy in the evenings but the days were bright and sunny.  Beautiful place.
    We stayed at the Hyatt Centric on the nearby island of Murano (it was called something else when we went about 4 years ago) but the hotel was lovely.

Cant recommend the hotel we stayed in at Rome (I organised that trip and I was on a budget) but know of a stunning but great value restaurant near the Trevi Fountains if anyone needs a recommendation.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
    All booked.  Away Late March to early April for 19 days.  2 weeks in Japan (visiting Tokyo, Nagano, Hakone, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto and Osaka) before flying to Singapore to stay in the Marina Bay Sands hotel for 5 days chilling in that infinity pool on the 57th floor.  Eeek.  My bum twitches just looking at the picture of it.  Wish us luck, our daughter will turn 1 when we are there.  Looking forward to the electronic shops in Tokyo and experiencing the bullet trains.  Wife gets to see the blossom trees and get her bucket list wish of staying in that hotel in Singapore.  Trailfinders managed to sort us out premium economy bulkhead seats with the bassinet, so hopefully the long flight isn't too bad for the little one.  They wanted another £3k for business class.

Your little one should be fine on the flight John....will probably sleep most of the way. That's some trip to take a 1 year old on though, that said maybe better to go now then when she is 3-4 years old. Not been to Japan, but lived in Singapore 08-09, while the Sands resort was being built.
  • Options
    Anyone know of any good websites / hotels in England where they cater for people with mobility issues?

Ie a walk in shower etc..
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Your little one should be fine on the flight John....will probably sleep most of the way. That's some trip to take a 1 year old on though, that said maybe better to go now then when she is 3-4 years old. Not been to Japan, but lived in Singapore 08-09, while the Sands resort was being built.
    That was pretty much our thinking.  Take her while she's still sleeping lots and we can just plonk her in the buggy and can push or carry her.  That gets more difficult as they get older, more inquisitive and generally heavier lol.  Once she starts school that will be the last of our trips outside of school holidays. Well I say that, I dont think neither myself or my wife would have any issues taking her out of school in late June/early July if needed to save a few quid.

My B-I-L & S-I-L are taking their two kids (my niece is 2, nephew is 5mths) to Hawaii next month.  Long 12hr flight to LA with 4hr stopover for next flight of 5-6hrs.  They've got 10 days there then spending 3 days in LA on the way back to go to some kids amusement park thing.  I love my niece muchly but f*ck me she's going to drive everyone else on that flight insane! I can imagine it to scenes of Airplane when Ted Striker was talking about his relationship woes!!!   I honestly dont know how they cope with all the stuff they will need to take with them.  They are even taking 2 car seats with them.  I cant even begin to imagine.  I remember the look on my wife's face when the S-I-L suggested we went with them lol.
  • Options
    Just back from a break on the Canal Du Midi.
    Boat from Castelnaudary to Carcassonne. Lovely journey even if the locks are a bit testing at times.
    Stopped for 3 nights in Carcassonne mainly because it was so incredibly hot on the boat at night.
    It is a beautiful city. As said above some lovely restaurants in one of the roads leading up to the castle.
    In the square Le Longchamp restaurant is quite good with excellent service from the staff who work incredibly hard.
    Cafe de la Comedie is also good.
    The best we went to was Bistrotot D’Alice.
  • Options
    Anyone know of any good websites / hotels in England where they cater for people with mobility issues?

Ie a walk in shower etc..
    I would be surprised if a hotel does not offer special rooms for people with mobility issues, isn't it law you have to nowadays.

We have stayed in a number of log cabins on various sites throughout Cornwall in the past and they all offered an option of a lodge with a ground floor wet room, and electrically operated beds. We took my elderly mother away on a few of these trips and we always booked one of these when doing so.   
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Returned from a fortnight in Mexico yesterday. All day meeting and over 500 emails to get through

fuck this - take me back
    500 emails in over two weeks?

Always suspected you didn’t do much work @Swisdom and looks like I was right :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Week in France next week including 3 days wondering around the Normandy Landing beaches which we are really looking forward to. Just booked a week in Panama for November- been lucky enough to transit the Canal so looking forward to watching the ships go through the locks from the shore.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just got back from Singapore 10 days ago, part work/part vacation. Used to visit a lot but hadn't been there since 2005. Has been a tremendous amount of development in that time, especially around where you are staying.

We originally booked to stay in the Marina Bay Sands but then decided to switch to the Fullerton Hotel across the water from it as we wanted somewhere quieter. We did take a look inside the Marina Bay Sands. It is quite something. The Gardens on the Bay just behind the hotel are worth going around, particularly late afternoon/early evening with the light show at 7:45 pm and 8:45 pm.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

fuck this - take me back
    500 emails in over two weeks?

Always suspected you didn’t do much work @Swisdom and looks like I was right :-)
    :smiley:

That was after my PA had got rid of all the crap.
  • Options
    Off to Kefalonia in the morning. Can't wait.
  • Options
    Enjoy, we had a great, relaxing week there in June and the weather has got even hotter now.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

@johnboyuk your daughter will obviously be too young to remember anything but in Singapore if you go into China town area you can get a wall poster made up, of her name phonetically in Chinese characters and calligraphy style with added details such as butterflies etc which might be a nice memento for her as she gets older. 

Do the night safari too.  
  • Options
    Enjoying the sun and Pacifc in beautiful Mendocino, California.

Only problem is having a daghter that needs to train every day as part of her pre-season program (she’s a Nordic Skier).

3 long trail runs, a 4 hour canoe trip at relentless pace and just in off a 43km Mountain Bike ride - and we are only on day six.

i love it really...
  • Options
    @Oakster - you don’t  have to train though...
  • Options
    Will be absolutely baking went in June and the sand was too hot to walk on 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!