Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    the weather this week fair play to you if you are holidaying in England always fancied doing a week in cornwall but the weather is such a gamble. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    the weather this week fair play to you if you are holidaying in England always fancied doing a week in cornwall but the weather is such a gamble. 
    unreal week to have a UK holiday, I'm just hoping it holds out for next week as well.....at the moment the 2 week forecast is looking very good !

Cornwall is amazing, will be fantastic down there the next couple of weeks with this weather
  • Options
    @Elthamaddick
    always wanted to do it but the gamble on the weather and tbh the cost involved when you can get a weeks gauranteed sun and ice cold beer in europe is always a tough one
  • Options
    Does it have to be sunny and hot when you go on holiday?
  • Options
    @hoof_it_up_to_benty

the thought of being cooped up in a cottage in cornwall with it pissing down is not something i would enjoy myself
  • Options
    @hoof_it_up_to_benty

the thought of being cooped up in a cottage in cornwall with it pissing down is not something i would enjoy myself
    It ultimately depends what you want from a holiday - if it's a beach holiday then obviously going abroad is more likely to guarantee good weather.

I've had plenty of holidays in the UK and the weather has usually been okay. It depends on what you want to do? 
  • Options
    My mum-in-law has just come back from a week on the Isle of Wight with her friends and she's come back browner than I was after almost 4 weeks in South Africa FFS.

Fingers crossed the weather holds for next week down in Cornwall.  Really looking forward to my first UK holiday since I was about 7 or 8.
  • Options
    @Elthamaddick
    always wanted to do it but the gamble on the weather and tbh the cost involved when you can get a weeks gauranteed sun and ice cold beer in europe is always a tough one
    Cornwall is just a fantastic place, loads to do and the good weather is obviously a bonus, but we've had great holidays down there when the weathers not been too kind. Been to Porthleven a few times and there's loads to do.

Sennen Cove beach should be on everyone's list of places to visit.
  • Options
    @johnnybev1987 Albufeira? If only you knew someone who lived there and might be able to help...   

@dazzler21 @Carter I think Fuertevantura probably falls out of the cheaper holiday

@algarveaddickmy mate has found a hotel on the strip for £250 Monday- Friday, has a 9 hole golf course on it. Looking to get it booked up within the next week.  I do actually know people who are 20-25mins away from there so hopefully I can get them to come and meet me while out there. Where is your place? I will try to pop in, no doubt 

• Options
    @Elthamaddick
    Cornwall is just a fantastic place, loads to do and the good weather is obviously a bonus, but we've had great holidays down there when the weathers not been too kind. Been to Porthleven a few times and there's loads to do.

Sennen Cove beach should be on everyone's list of places to visit.
    I've had great holidays in the UK in Cornwall, Norfolk and the Highlands. The weather has usually been okay and have found plenty to do and see. If you want guaranteed hot weather then the UK is not the best bet.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We usually have a week's holiday in the UK in July/Aug and have always been lucky with the weather. Had a nice cottage with 8-seat hot tub booked for the family in Welsh countryside starting this Friday but have had to cancel having broken my leg 2 weeks ago. 
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

The Olympics are on in Tokyo Friday 24th July -Sunday August 9th 

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

• Options
    I remember having a family holiday to Cornwall in about 1992 or 1993. We stayed in a lovely cottage near Padstow. For the whole week the weather was overcast, damp, rainy and generally miserable.
    We still had a good time but we were completely unaware (no TV at the cottage and no Internet in those days) that the rest of the country was in the grips of a heatwave.
     When we left the cottage on the Saturday morning we drove up the coast and within half an hour or so the clouds disappeared and we were basking in glorious sunshine.
    We instantly made the decision to throw a sickie the following week and had a couple of days around Saunton Sands and spent the rest of the week at the in-laws' place in Broadstairs. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    My mum-in-law has just come back from a week on the Isle of Wight with her friends and she's come back browner than I was after almost 4 weeks in South Africa FFS.

Fingers crossed the weather holds for next week down in Cornwall.  Really looking forward to my first UK holiday since I was about 7 or 8.
    Did no one tell you it's winter in the southern hemisphere John? :D
  • Options
    @johnnybev1987 Albufeira? If only you knew someone who lived there and might be able to help...   

@dazzler21 @Carter I think Fuertevantura probably falls out of the cheaper holiday

@algarveaddickmy mate has found a hotel on the strip for £250 Monday- Friday, has a 9 hole golf course on it. Looking to get it booked up within the next week.  I do actually know people who are 20-25mins away from there so hopefully I can get them to come and meet me while out there. Where is your place? I will try to pop in, no doubt 

@johnnybev1987 - I think the place you are staying must be Balaia golf village, which is about a kilometer away from The Strip. Nice resort and a tidy little course. 

I'll message you... 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Did no one tell you it's winter in the southern hemisphere John? :D
    Ha, I was out there in Dec/Jan 18 months ago.  I should have made that clear!
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK I  saw you mentioned Japan next year , i think , earlier in the thread..

so obviously will be busier around those times or you might fancy taking in some Team GB suporting .

I went to the World Cup 2002 out there , didn't really do the tourist bit but the locals were very friendly all around even if the language is a slight problem .

I'm sure it's all changed now but I had to hire a mobile phone out there because our mobiles back then weren't compatible with their network .

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
  • Options
    Cornwall 1976 Heatwave. What a fantastic holiday in the sun. 🌞
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

If we go, we'll be going in Mar - May as the wife wants to see the blossom trees.

Spent a couple of hours in the trailfinders office speaking to my wife's friend who books all her main trips and the cheapest we could get a 2.5 week tour with direct BA flights was £14k for the pair of us including our daughter who'll be 12 months or so by then (and that was flying economy too!)  Bit toppy but we always knew it was going to be expensive.  We had a vision of going Singapore on the way back but we didn't realise the distances involved, it was something like a 8-9hr flight!  We're still mulling it over in our heads but likely to bite the bullet I think as its my wife's 40th around that time.
    Yep a couple of our group took a sojourn to Thailand during our World Cup break and were surprised,  yet not put off,  by the 6hr+ flight time !
  • Options
    Fly out to Majorca tomorrow morning at 720 from Southend airport. 

Club Mac in Alcudia. 
    A bit Butlins in the sun apparently bit ticks all the boxes for our 6&8 year olds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Club Mac in Alcudia. 
    A bit Butlins in the sun apparently bit ticks all the boxes for our 6&8 year olds. 
    Been there a couple of times, it's not that bad, a lot of northerners though but kids will love it as you get use of the water park. We are also away tomorrow to Sunny beach.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Club Mac in Alcudia. 
      The only place in the world where you have to get up early to get a space for your lilo/pink flamingo in the pool!
  • Options
    Just back from a week in Cromer, lovely part of the world, Sheringham is a great little town 
  • Options
    Just back from a week in Cromer, lovely part of the world, Sheringham is a great little town 

love that part of the country; Wells, Cley, Holt etc too. Going in September and staying near Happisburgh for a week.
  • Options
    Did a Featherdown holiday for 3 nights over easter, so good we are going again in summer to norfolk for 3 nights.  Those with kids who like the great outdoors i could not recommend it highly enough.  No electric but certainly no slumming it.
    We are taking our two eldest Grandkids to Featherdown in Berkshire for 2 x nights glamping, good to see your comments.
    Just back from our weekend away "Glamping" with the grand kids at Featherdown and I would highly recommend it to those of you with kids.

We went to the site in Bucklebury Farm Park and it was ideal for 2 or 3 nights away "roughing it"

The site had 5 x tents in total and they were sited at the rear of the park out of the way of the general public when the park is open. The park has a wide range of farm animals you can feed and stroke and we paid for the two kids to be farmers for the day where they got to assist one of the keepers feed, clean & groom the animals way above what the paying public can do.

The site was also attached to a Deer park with 3 x herds of wild deer roaming free, a tractor tows a large carriage around the deer site at certain times of the day and you can feed them from the safety of the carriage.

The tents were very good, solid wood floors, 1 x double room, 1 x bunk bed room and 1 x bed in a cupboard which the kids loved. It has a log burning stove in the center in front of a small work top which had a sink with cold running water and all the pots and pans etc and you could use the stove to boil the kettle. We had a small shower and hand basin as well as a flush toilet.

Oil lamps and candles were needed in the evening but we sat outside most of the time until it was the kids bedtime. There was a big BBQ outside with a good supply of logs and kindling.
    There was a large wooden cool box inside and the site supplied frozen hot water bottles to use as ice packs to keep your food, cider & wine cold. You just took the melted ones back in the morning and exchanged them for frozen ones. 

The site had a children's adventure playground with a zip wire, pedal go karts, a fun bus, a very large bouncy pillow, a couple of 5 a side goals & tons of stuff to climb on. It also had an assault course and a den building area with bundles of wood for the kids to use.

Amazingly the owner said we were welcome to use all of the above when the park was closed, just do not go near the animals so we were on the zip wire and all sorts until 10pm at night.

I tried to get the boys mucking in as much as possible and they really enjoyed it, they lit the stove and the BBQ, cooked food on it, washed up under oil lamps, took care of changing the ice water bottles and generally helping out. Much better than being on a tablet or mobile.   
  • Options
    Due to a late cancellation my mate's place in Albufeira is available 22nd to 31st Aug - good price. One bedroom plus bed settee, aircon, UK TV, stunning views. Anyone interested PM me...     
  • Options
    Returned from a fortnight in Mexico yesterday. All day meeting and over 500 emails to get through

fuck this - take me back
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Returned from a fortnight in Mexico yesterday. All day meeting and over 500 emails to get through

fuck this - take me back

I always keep an eye on emails when I'm away so I don't come back to hundreds but the company I work for have banned staff from using roaming data when off so will have the same problem.
  • Options
    just the 602 emails to sift through when I turned my laptop on last night...
  • Options
    It ain't rocket science.
    Delete all.
    or worse still, having to do a ten hour day on a construction site.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!