Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options
    Did he sign a contract with a year extension if we were promoted?

If I was his agent I would have pushed for it. 
  • Options
    If he's happy to be the fourth choice striker i'd possibly give him a one year deal.

What he lacks in talent he more than makes up for in hard work. We need strikers and it's hard to bring a striker in happy to sit on the bench.
  • Options
    Might have been a squad player in League One but the Championship? No way.
  • Options
    He was only 1 of 2 strikers today on the pitch and bench.

No reason to believe next season will be any different . 

For that reason, in utter desperation, it’s a yes from me..
  • Options
    Still learning the role after being MF for years, but awesome today and most of last six matches. No goals, but Leaburn never got many, and is top six of all time strikers.
  • Options
    His a trier, but in the championship, no chance
  • Options
    Number three striker maybe. 
  • Options
    The people saying no, can you answer me this.

Can you see Roland signing 2 strikers??
    Can you see Igor taking a paycut to stay??
    Is Parker worse than Ajose??

If you answer no to the above questions then why not keep Parker

We need 3 maybe 4 strikers in the Championship, Parker has already improved under Bows and Jacko and I am sure with a full summer he will improve even more, he has shown so much work rate over the last few games, he just needs to find the finishing touch which again with a full summer under bows and jacko I am sure he will
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    He was a typical January signing (same with Purrington to an extent), came into the team, didnt get a chance to integrate properly yet would have been thrown into a frantic part of the season

With all signings that dont do too great at that time of the year (yet show promise) I always wonder how they'd do at a club when they've a full pre-season under their belts, from working endlessly on the training pitch to properly learn the system to travelling to places like Portugal so they can really gel with the rest of their team mates accordingly... Certainly a lot less pressure involved
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I know we are all on a high after yesterday but I can’t believe anyone is seriously considering Parker in the Championship.
    Do you think we'll be able to sign any better with Roland at the helm?

i.e. take a look at the fees Championship clubs paid for players last season, barely anyone under £1m

https://www.transfermarkt.us/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I know we are all on a high after yesterday but I can’t believe anyone is seriously considering Parker in the Championship.

i.e. take a look at the fees Championship clubs paid for players last season, barely anyone under £1m

I think we will have a budget to work within, regardless of the ownership situation. Giving Parker a contract will reduce how much is left to be spent on other players. For me, he’s not worth it and signing him would be waste of our (limited) resources.
  • Options
    Depends what that budget is...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yes, based on last summers frees and loans.

Thank him for his efforts, he’s played a part, but we need better even if Roland is still here.
  • Options

Of course we can....... and will.
    Parker for all his hard work and effort is way short of Championship standard. 
  • Options

So u think Roland will sign 2 or 3 strikers that are ready for the championship??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019

So u think Roland will sign 2 or 3 players??
  • Options
    Although Josh did not score ,his work rate was phenominal,he played a really big part in our promotion,for that alone I would keep him for another season.
  • Options
    He played his part yesterday and in the 2nd semi final leg but he is not a championship striker. Taylor and Igor fit with a pre season would do well with 2 new additions up front to compete. Who I don't know but if Bowyer and Gallen get in who they want for the budget they are given with a full pre season then whoever it would be would be better than Parker. 
  • Options
    Thought he was awful. Kept needlessly pushing players and giving away free kicks when the ball was being crossed in.

Last 5 minutes though, he was superb. Not good anywhere near good enough for the championship, but thanks for the hard work Josh.
  • Options
    He's put in a shift of late, but he's L2 level or lower L1 at best.
    I'd be amazed if Bowyer tried to sign him and I think Parker would be amazed as well. 
  • Options

He keeps the team shape.

Parker works his socks off, challenges for everything, drags defenders out of position,  holds the ball up well, creates space for Taylor plus midfielders running into the box, makes the off the ball runs that nobody sees ..... but a little ponderous, never looks like scoring.

But in the absence of Igor, he's been picked to do a job and he's played his part well within the the last few games.

If people doubt his influence, look at his contribution for our equaliser ..... he threw himself at Taylor's cross taking the defender with him, leaving Purrington a clear space to move into and score.

But the statistics charts won't tell you that.

• Options
    We’ll find out soon enough, as bowyer said the players would be in yesterday. Thanking all of them, talking to some about new deals, and telling others that they won’t be staying.
  • Options
    He's an honest hard working player I'll give him that. 
    But he is league one standard. 
    We are now in the championship. 
    Definitely need better than him if we are not going to struggle. 
  • Options

Harsh but he isn't good enough, just about league one backup imo

He worked very hard and put the effort in which I appreciate, but he lacks the quality in the final third, lacks that killer instinct in front of goal and the final link up.

If we end up with just him and Lyle next year we are in big trouble, we need someone pacey (IGOR if fit) or in the mould of KG

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

He keeps the team shape.

Parker works his socks off, challenges for everything, drags defenders out of position,  holds the ball up well, creates space for Taylor plus midfielders running into the box, makes the off the ball runs that nobody sees ..... but a little ponderous, never looks like scoring.

But in the absence of Igor, he's been picked to do a job and he's played his part well within the the last few games.

If people doubt his influence, look at his contribution for our equaliser ..... he threw himself at Taylor's cross taking the defender with him, leaving Purrington a clear space to move into and score.

But the statistics charts won't tell you that.

Fair assessment, but he is not good enough for the league above. Whatever hard work he puts in, he does keep the team shape but doesn't have the pace or instinct to cause trouble.