Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Prefer Parker to Abbot, Doo Doo, Magennis, Benson, Obika, Nouble , Sodje or Burton who all played for us at this level and got less stick.

Many of those were awful.

But Josh Parker preferable compared to Josh Magennis or Deon Burton? Not in a million years. 
    Agreed. Burton scored quite a few for us.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I thought he played ok and linked up well with Taylor . He just needs that goal. Having said that I’m preying Igor is fit for the play offs .
    Come on, he’s rubbish. Even if he scores a goal I really don’t think it will spur him on to greater things.

I would love to know what Fosu has done to not even be in the squad when we are so light going forwards. 
    Fosu hasn’t done anything, which is the point. The minimum required by Bows is 100% commitment. All of the time, in training and on the pitch.

If you can’t or won’t do that then you are not in the squad. Once the bar has been set there can be no exceptions.

If Parker were to be injured then he would be replaced by someone who has hit that commitment requirement. It is why Marshall can get in the squad and so can some of the youth squad. The question Bows asked Jason for a place in the 1st team squad? Who deserves it most?

Forget about Fosu. Everyone at the club has.
  • Options
    Josh will come good if needed. Igor similarly needed a run of games to start finding his feet again
  • Options
    And score them. It helps if we are behind him rather than waiting for him to miss or even predicting he will miss.
  • Options
    Just like the Josh we had up front last season he’s clearly not a natural goalscorer, but he still managed to score 12 for Gillingham last season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52661&season_id=150
  • Options
    Josh will come good if needed. Igor similarly needed a run of games to start finding his feet again
    I think Josh is at the top of his game right now. He looks fitter and sharper than when he arrived, but as Bows would say, he is what he is. He is very hard working professional player who puts his body on the line for the team. If Igor is not fit than I am happy to see Josh out there.

He has earned a bit of luck and let’s all hope he gets it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Just like the Josh we had up front last season he’s clearly not a natural goalscorer, but he still managed to score 12 for Gillingham last season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52661&season_id=150
    To be fair one of those goals was against a Defence involving Harry Lennon and a pre-upgraded Naby Sarr

That surely shouldn't be allowed to count?
  • Options
    Thought Parker did OK despite missing chances. I do get the feeling he might score an important goal for us in the next few weeks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All set up for Parker to score the winner at Wembley....
  • Options
    The disallowed goal was a joke....six of one half dozen of the other both were holding each other 
  • Options
    Have to agree, played very well. Initially apprehensive about his name in the starting line up. Won’t make the same mistake this Friday. 
  • Options
    Also very impressed with him today. With Igor out he has become vital to our play, hopefully is just cramp. 
  • Options
    Certainly put in a shift today, ran his socks off.
  • Options
    Lacks quality but made up for that in work rate.
  • Options
    Must be hard to re-invent yourself as a striker after a decade in midfield, but showing good attributes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must be hard to re-invent yourself as a striker after a decade in midfield, but showing good attributes.
    So he only played as a midfielder before he signed for us? Don’t think that’s true
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scoham said:
    So he only played as a midfielder before he signed for us? Don’t think that’s true
    As a kid he was a striker for QPR when Gallen was there.  Played mostly midfield since, signed by Steur FFS. KG saw his attributes as a forward.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scoham said:
    As a kid he was a striker for QPR when Gallen was there.  Played mostly midfield since, signed by Steur FFS. KG saw his attributes as a forward.
    Gillingham called him a winger or striker, and he said he loves playing as a striker:

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2017/january/josh-parker-signs-for-the-gills/

The Aberdeen manager talked about playing him up front:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34002607

Steur? I think you mean Red Star Belgrade?

Either way playing up front isn’t new for him.

• Options
    Can't fault his performance today. You can tell defenders dont like him. Might not score but he creates havoc and makes space for others. Not great of course, but does a good job for the team
  • Options
    I I thought he was great today and with the last two showings, I’d have him playing instead of Igor 
  • Options
    Tried but totally lacking in quality.
  • Options
    Tried but totally lacking in quality.
    Based on previous games yes but I don't think it's fair to say that about his performance today.