Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options
    Prefer Parker to Abbot, Doo Doo, Magennis, Benson, Obika, Nouble , Sodje or Burton who all played for us at this level and got less stick.

• Options
    Siv_in_Norfolk said:
    Am impressed with how generous posters are being about that performance yesterday.

i agree- the misses were awful, but he DID put a shift in 
    Hes getting a relatively easy ride because we got that 4th goal.

If his two misses cost us 3rd and potentially home advantage yday it wouldnt be such a glossed over reaction.

I desperately wanted him to score yday as did most the crowd but fck mine hes looked like a rabbit in the headlights every time he has got the ball in the box.

I wish him well next season.
  • Options
    I thought he played ok and linked up well with Taylor . He just needs that goal. Having said that I’m preying Igor is fit for the play offs .
  • Options
    Bromley or Welling for him before long.
  • Options
    Prefer Parker to Abbot, Doo Doo, Magennis, Benson, Obika, Nouble , Sodje or Burton who all played for us at this level and got less stick.

No way is Parker better than Magennis or Burton. I would probably still take Burton now over him. 

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Burton was quality at what he done.

Bought others into play better than any of them.
    100% agree. One of the best first touches I've ever seen from a Charlton forward. Of Charlton forwards, I can only think of Andy Hunt and Clive Mendonca that had a better touch (with Hunt being the best). 
    That first touch was incredible.
  • Options
    I thought he played ok and linked up well with Taylor . He just needs that goal. Having said that I’m preying Igor is fit for the play offs .
    Come on, he’s rubbish. Even if he scores a goal I really don’t think it will spur him on to greater things.

I would love to know what Fosu has done to not even be in the squad when we are so light going forwards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

100% agree. One of the best first touches I've ever seen from a Charlton forward. Of Charlton forwards, I can only think of Andy Hunt and Clive Mendonca that had a better touch (with Hunt being the best). 
    Indeed. Was the absolute master with his back to goal, holding off a defender and bringing down a long ball. He was up front on his own that season in a 4-5-1 and was very decent. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Would you want a chance for a winner or equaliser to fall to him in the play-offs?

Magennis put in a shift but Bowyer was happy to let him go after missing chances in last years play-off games.
    Hopefully he won’t get on the pitch in any of the play off games.

Whilst he did work hard yesterday, ultimately he is a striker and his job is to score goals. He just isn’t good enough.
    Agree though I think I’d rather he played than we set up with five midfielders. We’ve had a some poor performances when we’ve used a form of 4-5-1, it doesn’t get the best out of our midfielders or Taylor.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Simonsen said:

Indeed. Was the absolute master with his back to goal, holding off a defender and bringing down a long ball. He was up front on his own that season in a 4-5-1 and was very decent. 
    Regarding Hunt, I honestly think his touch was up there with some of the biggest names. Other elements of his game clearly weren't World Class but I think his touch was.
  • Options
    Bromley  for him before long.
    Don't think he's that good
  • Options
    Was watching Lyle Taylor's little boy running on the pitch at the end of the game , with his dad and scoring a goal at the Jimmy Seed end , with much encouragement from the remaining fans . When my son turned to me and said , he's got a better touch than Parker , kind of sums him up for me.
  • Options
    Some ridiculously harsh comments on here that tell me Parker has already been dumped in the “made my mind up” bin by some fans. 

He’s had a very inauspicious start to his time with us, and he should have scored yesterday, but if you can’t see the overall improvement from him yesterday you weren’t looking. 
  • Options
    He's not a bad league 1 player, he was making lots of runs along the line yesterday but the midfield rarely picked him out or saw him, or chose not to make a pass.

He won't set the world alight, I doubt he'd ever get 20 goals in a League 1 season, but I think he's a good honest pro who works really hard. Got in some good positions yesterday.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    He's not a bad league 1 player, he was making lots of runs along the line yesterday but the midfield rarely picked him out or saw him, or chose not to make a pass.

He won't set the world alight, I doubt he'd ever get 20 goals in a League 1 season, but I think he's a good honest pro who works really hard. Got in some good positions yesterday.
    I think you are being to kind to him.
    Since he made his debut for us he has had and missed enough chances to convince me he ain't good enough .
    Let's face it if Gillingham decided he wasn't good enough for them it says it all really. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I think you are being to kind to him.
    Since he made his debut for us he has had and missed enough chances to convince me he ain't good enough .
    Let's face it if Gillingham decided he wasn't good enough for them it says it all really. 
    have to agree.

He worked hard and I was willing him to score but he's not great.

Rochdale have conceded over 80 goals this season, they aren't great.

But at the moment he is what we have and there is no point slagging him off

A quick chorus of

"Parker score
    Parker score
    Once you score one you'll score.
    We'll sing you assembly
    When we get to Wembley
    So score, Parker, score"

Might give him a lift.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Come on, he’s rubbish. Even if he scores a goal I really don’t think it will spur him on to greater things.

I would love to know what Fosu has done to not even be in the squad when we are so light going forwards. 
    He might be rubbish in general but he worked his socks off yesterday and Fosu hasn't at all this season. Bowyer has already said ' when asked about Fosu , that its about working hard in training as well as match day and it's clear the tariqe hasn't been pulling his weight. 

Indecently if a player is having a bad time , taking the piss during the match with chants like " If Parker scores were going on the pitch" is not going to help one little bit.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Fuller was head and shoulders above both of them for that and Mendonca was poetry in motion when he touched the ball. Biggest mistake of the PL years in not signing him at whatever cost when he played two trial games (and banged in 5 goals ?)
  • Options
    Jerome Thomas had a pretty decent touch. Alas the rest of his play was not up to the others mentioned here.
  • Options
    Looks like Igor has fallen apart yet again so let's get behind Josh and he might just surprise us.
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor has told Josh Parker not to lose confidence after his scoring drought extended to 15 games at the weekend.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-striker-told-to-keep-his-confidence-up-despite-scoring-drought/
  • Options
    Score one goal that gets us through or wins us a game and that’s all that matters! He also had a cheeky back heel layoff for aribos goal on Saturday!
    Get behind the lad! He won’t be with us next season, but while he is, let’s not alienate him!! C’mon Josh
  • Options
    Josh is one of us and I will be 100% behind him and every other player wearing our colours in the crucial battles ahead. No snide remarks are needed now - we are all in this together and he showed me enough on Saturday to suggest there is a player in there who can help us achieve our goal. 
    Play like he did Saturday and he will get chances.
  • Options
    Play like he did Saturday and he will miss chances