Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    We can do much much better.
     At his salary, I expect I'd agree. 

Would love to know what our intended pay structure is, but where would you see that elsewhere?
    I know I love a football manager stat, but I think it’s somewhat close. They have Naby as second highest earner on 7k p/w. 
     In that case I'm not sure I agree with BB afterall.
  • Options
    If we ask naby to take a pay cut on 7k then we ain’t that far evolved from the Roland days.
    Get rid and get two really reliable centre halves in , ie ones that make fewer mistakes and can play every game 
  • Options
    If we ask naby to take a pay cut on 7k then we ain’t that far evolved from the Roland days.
    It's probably more to do with the fact he doesn't deserve to be top earner, and you can get better for the money
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I think he is the sort of player that you could push up a few levels by working hard on his weaknesses. He definitely has some high end strengths for me. I would imagine the size of is current contract only matters if there are clubs out there willing to match it. What you have to do if you want him, is to match the value others put on him now.
  • Options
    I think he is the sort of player that you could push up a few levels by working hard on his weaknesses. He definitely has some high end strengths for me. I would imagine the size of is current contract only matters if there are clubs out there willing to match it. What you have to do if you want him, is to match the value others put on him now.
    Four and a half years he's had to work on his weaknesses.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yes, and the question has to be can you sort them out? I think they can be sorted out to an extent by drilling some rules into him. What you can't give him is pace, but I think you can work around that using the other defenders. It would require a decision to build the defence around him at some point and see that as a project. I doubt that will happen here but wouldn't be surprised when we see him doing well at a higher level.
  • Options
    He's a slow developer. Will be at his peak at 35.
  • Options
    Yes, and the question has to be can you sort them out? I think they can be sorted out to an extent by drilling some rules into him. What you can't give him is pace, but I think you can work around that using the other defenders. It would require a decision to build the defence around him at some point and see that as a project. I doubt that will happen here but wouldn't be surprised when we see him doing well at a higher level.
    How do you sort out a centre half that sometimes has poor concentration and lacks the aggression of his opponents?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is counter intuitive but you sometimes need to judge footballers by their stats and attributes which may not always tie in with what you see. Not saying Sarr hasn't got areas that he can work on and weaknesses that are just there, but the question has to be whether you think you can improve him and I think Bowyer and his team could do that with Naby to the extent that he becomes our best defender.
  • Options
    When we play 3 at the back, Naby has to start - as others have said his ability to bring the ball out and find a pass is second to none. When we play a back four he is more exposed as there is only one other covering CB and any little mistake normally leads to a goal scoring opportunity. If he accepts a pay cut then would be happy to have him as a good quality squad player. 
  • Options
    It is counter intuitive but you sometimes need to judge footballers by their stats and attributes which may not always tie in with what you see. 
    I think you're having an attack of the Tommy Driesen's. :wink:
  • Options
    But it's only since Bowyer came in that's improved him.

And Naby has improved considerably. His manager says so.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It feels like one of Bowyer's major strengths.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    But it's only since Bowyer came in that's improved him.

And Naby has improved considerably. His manager says so.

Agreed.....and also, Sarr has had a run of games, got more experienced, got more settled, felt more appreciated and thus continued to develop as a player naturally. It's a combination of a lot of factors. 
  • Options
    Last season, I managed an U18 team and I had a striker that divided opinion. Basically I thought he was a great addition and got him in when his bottom of the table club folded and others thought he was crap. The problem was that he did have major flaws in his game and did make some glaring misses and had one trick that he would always use and it hardly ever worked. But despite all of that he scored goals.

On two separate occasions last season, I had parents coming over from the other side of the pitch and telling me to substitute him. I told them he was the one player I wouldn't substitute because he scored goals. Yes he missed loads of chances and looked raw a lot of the time but he bloody scored goals that we didn't score when he wasn't playing. On both occasions I was told to bring him off, he scored after.

He finished our top scorer, top scorer in the league and scored two goals in our cup final victory at the end of the season. Totally different level, but if you watched him play you would find it hard to understand why he scored as many as he did but he did. Naby has the disadvantage of looking like he is a mistake waiting to happen everytime he has the ball but he doesn't make significantly more mistakes than Pearce. It is just they are more noticeable and sadly a couple of his recent ones have been important. I think clearance mistakes can be cured by drilling into him that he needs to clear with purpose.
    He sounds like the complete opposite of lisbie. 
    Always looking likely to score but hardly ever did :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    To be honest, I think he probably needed better coaching at 11-12 onwards and he might be a professional now. The problem in youth football is that players do the job for managers and they don't try to address weaknesses as they are just happy winning. I can't explain exactly why he scored so many goals, but he did. We had decent strikers that looked the part but whilst he was missing sitters, they weren't getting sitters to miss. 

We brought him in for the second half of last season and he was our top scorer then so it wasn't as if you had to be a genius to work out he scored goals. But he didn't look the part on the pitch at times and some people rely on that ignoring the other evidence. 

Naby has made errors and he has done good things like that tackle on Saturday and playing a part creating and scoring goals. I'm pretty sure you won't see Pearce well ahead of him in terms of overall contribution statistically. That is an assumption, I'm not going to crunch the numbers btw.
  • Options
    If the plan is to play a back 3 more often than not (which I think suits both Naby and Lockyer) then I think we would need to spend a a lot of money on transfer fees and wages to buy someone better than Naby.  If we stay up, we should sign him up.  

• Options
    I think you are right. He suits a back three and the attributes of the other two are important in that. 
  • Options
    To be honest, I think he probably needed better coaching at 11-12 onwards and he might be a professional now. The problem in youth football is that players do the job for managers and they don't try to address weaknesses as they are just happy winning. I can't explain exactly why he scored so many goals, but he did. We had decent strikers that looked the part but whilst he was missing sitters, they weren't getting sitters to miss. 

We brought him in for the second half of last season and he was our top scorer then so it wasn't as if you had to be a genius to work out he scored goals. But he didn't look the part on the pitch at times and some people rely on that ignoring the other evidence. 

You might not be able to explain it, Muttley ..... but you've just told us why. :smile:

Your striker had the poacher's instinct to be in the right place, at the right time.
    He had the ability to read the situation, time his movement and anticipate where he needed to be.

Your other strikers couldn't do that.

You'll have to tell us why he didn't look the part on the the pitch at times ....... lack of hold up play or lack of involvement in build up; no ability to run with the ball or didn't graft?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yes, but why did he have it when technically more rounded players didn't? I can't explain it but it is one of the joys of football. Hold up play, he would do this flick virtually every time that the defender always read. I told him not to do it but it was clearly something he had done for so long it became instinctive and better defenders read it. Head down and loss of focus before moves fully broke down and often he would do a silly foul like a push when beaten when he could have still competed or another player could. The goals he scored where when he had less time to think - give him time and he would invariably miss. 

He was tall, had a bit of pace, had a hard shot and was a bit nasty, though he lacked confidence and needed building up in that respect. I first noticed him when we were beating his team and I could see he was hurting but he was their player to stop. In frustration he did a nasty needless follow through on my son (our keeper) and could have broken his leg. I went ape shit at the time but he had a desire to win I admired and noted. He scored 1 in 2 for them but averaged over a goal a game for us. Him and my son are great mates now btw.

There is him and another lad from quite a few years back that I think with the right support could have been pros. A lot of his faults were bad habits. The other lad has really gone off the rails and is selling drugs now I have heard.
  • Options
    Interesting, @MuttleyCAFC. Thanks for replying.

It's all in his head. The reading of the game, timing and anticipation - made him get into good goal scoring situations which others didn't see.
    That's a great ability. It sets him apart from your 'better' all round strikers, who rarely got in a position to miss sitters.

The 'Lisbie-esque' scoring by instinct, but fatal hesitation when he had time. That's about composure.
    The loss of focus, frustration and silly fouls and habitually doing things that rarely worked .... that's about composure too.

Plus the lack of confidence ..... it's all in his head.

He's got some natural ability but it's clear he'd picked up bad habits from an early age, that good training would have gone some way to eradicate when he was younger - especially working on the mental side of his game.

Maybe well before your time, but when I was a teenager my Dad took me to Fulham one evening and they had a young striker called Malcolm MacDonald ...... he didn't score and must have missed about half a dozen sitters that night.

But he consistently got himself in to good goal scoring positions.
    If you do that, the Law of Averages does the rest.

And we all know how Malcolm MacDonald's goal scoring record turned out.